Today I Learned

ZailaZaila Pacific Time
I looked back and tried to find an existing TIL thread, but could only find an OOC one!
I've been playing Aetolia for a decent number of years at this point, but I feel like I still wind up with random little things that I somehow just never knew were out there ALL. THE. TIME. This seemed like a fun place for us to share the things that make us laugh, delighted, alarmned, "OMG, HOW DIDN'T I KNOW?!", or whatever else

So, @seir - thank you for my first!

Usage: CALENDAR NOTE ADD [month] [year]
CALENDAR NOTE LIST
CALENDAR NOTE DESC
CALENDAR NOTE REPEAT
CALENDAR NOTE REMIND <0-5> WEEKS
CALENDAR NOTE REMOVE

I had no idea this was a thing! You can set yourself reminders of upcoming events and birthdays and the game will msg you about it when they're approaching!
PazradymSeirRoxiVyxsisMarienaLinNolaFyrrenNiavexRhineDrystin

Comments

• MarienaMariena By a lake.
    ^ I never knew that either.

Newest thing I learned about crafting, you can DESIGN ### COMMODITIES and it will tell you exactly what you used in your design. So instead of saying 1x bread like it does on just DESIGN ### it will tell you wtf type of fancy bread you used.

ZailaSibattiNolaFyrrenJaslineRasani
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    omg @Mariena that's going to be so useful, I never knew that either. I always mess myself up using overlapping commodities.
    MarienaJaslineNiavexSeir
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    I still see so many of you manually unlocking and opening your doors. Try the autodoors config! Makes shopkeeping a snap.

Usage: CONFIG AUTODOORS <ON/OFF> When this option is turned on, you will automatically attempt to open closed doors as you pass through them. If the door is locked and you have a key, you will unlock it and close/lock it behind you.
    ZailaLeharNolaFyrren
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Disclaimer: It also makes you a prime target for archivists to blow up.

Lin
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    I half-forget about this regularly, so it's like learning it anew regularly. Today was a day that I remembered and 'learned' it again.

do LOOKUP will typically give you an idea of what it is, and where you can buy it.

LOOKUP FLINT for example tells you it's used as a firestarter typically, and you can buy it in Moghedu and Heylai (along with shop vnums to travel to.)
    ZailaFyrrenMarienaJaslineNiavex
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I guess one thing a lot of people don't realize is like PATH FIND BANK PATH FIND BOUNTIES and crap usually works in cities.
    LinFyrren
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    PATH FIND PYLON, on the other hand, takes you to your own city's pylon from just about anywhere.
    ZailaFyrren
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    You can craft PIPE ORGANS!!

How have I never seen one in game before?! WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE HAVE ONE, THAT IS SO COOL!!! A thousand times cooler than a piano!
  • Today I learned that even at level 80, fully buffed, I can still die to level 40 denizens. ;)

Also, Blackjack! I love blackjack, and just realized I can play in game! This changes EVeRYTHING!
    ZailaNiavex
  • Today I learned that room atmosphere messages are not necessarily room-wide and shared.

Zaila saw the catepillar, but .. I DID NOT.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    That's something I've always hated - it makes atmos msgs pointless because you can't react to them.
    Zaila
    That caterpillar didn't want to be seen. He just wanted to VAMOOSE from that dogpile of crazy!
    ( I <3 U )
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Nola said:
    Today I learned that room atmosphere messages are not necessarily room-wide and shared. Zaila saw the catepillar, but .. I DID NOT.
    The idea here is that it lets us give very specific parameters for those messages, like order membership, race, what have you. But I definitely see your point on these more general messages. 
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Zaila
  • Jearnys said:

Today I learned that even at level 80, fully buffed, I can still die to level 40 denizens. ;)

Also, Blackjack! I love blackjack, and just realized I can play in game! This changes EVeRYTHING!

If your system makes you stand every prompt, you'd better pause it.
  • KEYS

It shows you who has keys to a door... it's like, it's amazing.

ZailaNiavex
  • Jaymi said:

KEYS

It shows you who has keys to a door... it's like, it's amazing.

-Fantastic- for stockroom theft. Yup.
    ZailaNiavexDrystin
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Maaaaybe that should only work for the shopowner.
    ZailaTeaniDrystin
  • It works for every door ever
  • It's great for exploring! Now I can hunt down people and ask them to let me into places! Muahahahah!

TrikalDrystin
  • Yeah I love it for that.
  • I just learned that warhammer and maul seem to be much easier when Bashing as a Carnifex. I'm also not terribly fond of venoms, so I might stick with blunts. 
  • TedrunaiTedrunai Immortal
    Jearnys said:

so I might stick with blunts. 

@Jearnys 4/20 was 3 days ago bruh.
    EmirValainIllikaal
  • Today I learned that you can weaponprobe city guards.
    Avatar courtesy of Eleanor. Thank you!
    ~~

~~
    Always interested in knowing how I'm doing!
    Lin
  • The stone rapidly separates from Tlachinolli, the instructor's body as she brings the lesson in Terramancy to an end.
    Your skill in Terramancy has risen to Transcendent.
    You have obtained the EARTHENFORM ability!
    edited December 2019
    I decided to try a new keyboard layout on my phone, so naturally I am typoing like mad and now the error has taught me a new command!
    QI
    Short for "quest items"!  It works like II, but just lists all the quest items in your inventory!
    Additional perk, some of the items have little explanations!! 
    Thanks for teaching me something new, colemak keyboard! 
    IazamatRhyotHaven
    I learn most of my new things through typos, apparently..

Today I Learned: the command SI

It gives a shorthand version of all the items in your inventory!
    It turns:
    ----------------------------------------
    A bladed key, a shaker ball, a shrunken head, 4 mislaid, imported crates, a stack of 29 research tokens, a relic mold of a hunter's handbook, 2 withered fingerbones, 2 golden keys, a clockwork messenger bat, 13 customization certificates, a white ball with a red face, a pristine diploma from the Academy of Bloodloch, an one-shouldered emerald gown, an iron-wrought spyglass, a relic mold of an ornately-framed mirror, a steed whistle for a mud-coated hippo, a storyteller's wreath, 5 small wooden casks, 8 keys, 7 fork-in-the-road dies, a solid steel key, a steed whistle for a scarred, pale warhorse, a cylindrical obsidian key, a kit of traveler's icons, a horned key, 7 silver chalices, a venantium pike, a horn of the storm, a page from the Compendium, cuttings from a scraggly red stalk, a gold coin, a Bubble Wand of Personal Space, a metallic fang, an insignia of the Blades, a clockwork craft gnome, a whispering statuette, a personal journal entitled, "The Cathres: A Book of Songs", an obsidian orchid-etched hairpin, a sleek fishing spear, a runed handmirror, an angled mirror, a bottomless letter satchel, a concealed flask, 2 piece of morphic metals, a deadly crystal splinter, a Celestine orb of power of clarity, a wrap of the Althasai, a shamelessly intrusive raven, a jar of mist, a gem of cloaking, a vigilant statuette, a crystalized illusory staff of illusion, a Heart of Darkness, a crystal jar of scented myrrh oil, a tiny pet rock, a clump of iodized salt, a lacquered minipet cage, an ilmenite watering can, 7 antiquated artifact salvages, a venantium garden axe, a fist-shaped sigil, a piece of an oblong golden minipet cage, a venantium shovel, an ilmenite hoe, a venantium garden scythe, a pair of emerald opera gloves, a pair of strappy, tawny-ribboned sandals, a Carnifex's side-buttoning black wool longcoat, an interdimensional planar wedge, a curved skinning knife, an obsidian ring of spirit mastery, a bag of leviathan fertilizer, a magnetized compass needle, 2 gems of spirit, a palm-sized bowl of platinum, a leering skullmask, an elegant white letter, a partially-burnt letter, 4 rusted fishing buckets, a trapped gold coin, 25 burlap seed sacks, 3 bold zhikta peppers.
    Categories:
    You have 58 items in the relic pieces category.
    You have 6 items in the Vials, Pipes & Bandages category.

Into:
    47 essences, fourteen keys, one ball, one head, four crates, one token, 63 pieces, two molds, two fingerbones, six peridot vials, one bat, thirteen certificates, one ball, one diploma, one gown, one spyglass, two whistles, one wreath, five casks, seven dies, one kit, seven chalices, one pike, one horn, one page, one cuttings, one coin, one wand, one fang, one insignia, one gnome, one statuette, one journal, one hairpin, one spear, one handmirror, one mirror, one satchel, one flask, two metals, one splinter, one orb, one wrap, one pigeon, one tusk, one jar, one gem, one statuette, one staff, one heart, one jar, one rock, one salts, one cage, one shield, one can, seven salvages, one axe, one fist sigil, one shovel, one hoe, one scythe, one rod, two gloves, one sandals, two longcoats, one wedge, one knife, two rings, one fertilizer, one skullmask, two letters, four fishbuckets, 25 sacks, three peppers.

I've even found a situation in which it's useful!

I'd much rather it just had 1, 2, 3, etc. instead of spelling things out through twenty and then going to numericals, though - it'd be a visual space saver
    TeaniGavramelMartinauxMephistolesRhyotKatie
  • TiurTiur Producer
    I'll admit, TIL someone made that. I knew the word function existed, but dang, that's pretty.
    Zaila
  • TIL that AB RESEARCH is a thing. I never knew there were AB files for research.
    Zaila
  • Zaila said:

Into:
    47 essences, fourteen keys, one ball, one head, four crates, one token, 63 pieces, two molds, two fingerbones, six peridot vials, one bat, thirteen certificates, one ball, one diploma, one gown, one spyglass, two whistles, one wreath, five casks, seven dies, one kit, seven chalices, one pike, one horn, one page, one cuttings, one coin, one wand, one fang, one insignia, one gnome, one statuette, one journal, one hairpin, one spear, one handmirror, one mirror, one satchel, one flask, two metals, one splinter, one orb, one wrap, one pigeon, one tusk, one jar, one gem, one statuette, one staff, one heart, one jar, one rock, ----- one salts -----, one cage, one shield, one can, seven salvages, one axe, one fist sigil, one shovel, one hoe, one scythe, one rod, two gloves, one sandals, two longcoats, one wedge, one knife, two rings, one fertilizer, one skullmask, two letters, four fishbuckets, 25 sacks, three peppers.

oh god please no

Zaila
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Today I learned that we're all drug abusing Lost Children, but we're also all Peter Pan.

We can fight.... we can fly... and we can crow. AH AROO AROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Aaaaaand.... if you have the firefly relic item... you can also be Tinkerbell!!

Glow
    * 4x a glowing firefly larvae

- You can GLOWON to suffuse your body with a gentle light, appending a coloured line to
    your description.
    - You can FLASH to reveal any hidden people (SEARCH substitute).
    - GLOWOFF to turn it off again.

ZailaGavramel