Mafia - Endings in Esterport: Return of the Illuminai

edited May 2017 in OOC Chat
Welcome to part 3 of the Endings in Esterport series!

My first time running this sort of thing, so please bear with me, and apologies in advance for an hiccups.

-----------The Story------------

With the Syssin having seized control of Esterport, they wasted no time in converting the city more to their liking. Soon, the city turned prosperous, if shady, and begun its own sosrt of thriving under the watchful eye of the Syssin.

But all is not as it seems...

The after-effects of the way against the Dreikathi are still being felt, and in its wake, it has become harder and harder for the Syssin to pass their more impressive training down to new recruits. While this has left a decreasing number of True Syssin, but Esterport Defenders have sprung up in their place. Trained in assassination and combat, they guard Esterport from all threats, including the rumours of a cult, poised to seize the city from them. They will not rest until all the would-be Cultists swing from a rope.

The shadowy city has drawn the attention of the Cult of the Illuminai and their Prophet, who are determined to convert the city back to the light, and perhaps turn Esterport into New-Enorian. But their plans are not able to openly advance until there are fewer still-loyal Defenders. So they have turned the tables on the Defenders, infiltrating their number that their Prophet can see about converting their members from within until they are strong enough to take Esterport openly on their preferred terms.

And worst of all, an insane Shapeshifter has arrived in Esterport, ready to capitalize on the conflict between the Defenders and the Cult. It waits in the night, hunting for the next person, Defender and Cultist alike, to make a meal of...

Housekeeping

**Each round consists of one day and one night.
**During the day, everyone talks among themselves with the ultimate goal of reaching a majority for a vote.
**Once a majority has been reached, I will announce the death, and the night round begins.
**During the night, all power roles should PM me with their actions. Long delays will result in a lost turn.
**Discussion is allowed during the night, but no voting will occur.
**Anonymous messages can be sent to the group at any time by sending me a PM.
**Players may not PM each other. Please use the anonymous message feature instead!
**Players may not edit their posts.
**Once a player has died, they may no longer communicate in this thread until the game has ended.

Roles will be assigned via random number generator.

ROLES:

The Defenders: Innocents of the game. Their goal is to root out the Prophet and its cult before they find themselves outnumbered. During the day they will discuss, and vote on whom they wish to string up as a Cultist. They win when there are no more Cultists left.

The Cult of the Illuminai: The Cult which has infiltrated Esterport in order to claim the city for the light. During the night they'll decide who to target. They win when they outnumber the Defenders.

The General: The secretive leader of the Defenders, who has hidden himself among their number to help root out the Cult. During the night he can choose someone to investigate, to try and figure out if they are a loyal Defender, or a secret Cultist.

The Sciomancer: A scholar who has managed to reforge links to the Primal Elements. During the night they can use illusion and shadows to mislead would-be pursuers and attackers from a target of their choice, protecting them from harm. Loyal to Esterport, wins with the Defenders.

The Prophet: The passionate leader of the Cult of the Illuminai. While not happy about having to conceal themselves, their fervor for the Light is infectious, and so long as the Prophet lives, Defenders targetted in the night by the Cult will be converted to its number, rather than slain. Like the Cult, wins when the Cult outnumbers the remaining Defenders.

The Carnifex: An old soldier, still well versed in the ways of Savagery and Deathlore. Like the Sciomancer, the idea of the cult seizing Esterport doesn't sit well with them, and has turned their dark power to help the Defenders cause. In the night, can reave the soul from a target. Loyal to Esterport, wins with the Defenders.

The Sentinel: A hunter from the wilds, traveled to Esterport to track down a dangerous killer. Having infiltrated the Defenders to use their resources to help find and kill their target, they count themselves among their number. At night can track a target, seeing who they interact with, or target. Wins with the Defenders.

The Shapeshifter: Drawn by the growing number of people in Esterport, and the idea of easy prey to devour, this monster care nothing for the conflict between Esterport factions. While they may appear an average Esterport citizen, at night they can mutate to devour a target of their choosing. Without any loyalty to either side, the Shapeshifter wins on its own if it is one of the last two remaining people, and neither the Defenders, nor the Cult, can truly claim victory Esterport while the Shapeshifter lives to be a thread.

PLAYERS STILL ALIVE:

@Sibatti
@Karhast
@Pazradym
@Arbre
@Xenia
@Koda
@Teani
@Lehar
@Ilyon
@Zechs
@Serrice
@Zaila
@Sarita
Now with 253% more Madness.
Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Dawn has arrived in Esterport. Two of them.

As the sun rises over the city, its light falls upon a proclamation, etched upon the walls of embassies:

"CITIZENS OF ESTERPORT!
    Too long have you languished in Shadows, but no more!
    Upon this day, the Cult of the Illuminai declares itself in Esterport.
    Let all faithful who would join in the warmth of the Light rejoice, for we shall seize the city from your Shadow-Bound slavers.

And let all those who would stop us beware. You too shall join in the bounty of the Light, or be scorched clean by it.
    There shall be no reprieve.
    Glory to the Prophet! Glory to the Light."

Already the words have been found by the citizenry, those traders, beggers, and the riff-raff about the city. In minutes, the whispers have begun.

"Maybe they have a point..."

"What is the light?"

"How dare they try that here?"

As Defenders arrive to find the scene, and disperse the crowd, fights are already beginning to break out, people shouting their agreement, others calling out in support of the way things are.

If something isn't done, the city will descend into Chaos...

----------

Roles have been distributed, if you did not receive a PM from me, you are a Defender.

It is Day 1

The General is alive.
    The Sciomancer is alive.
    The Carnifex is alive.
    The Sentinel is alive.
    The Prophet is alive.
    The Shapeshifter is alive.
    There are 6 Defenders remaining.

7 votes are needed to lynch.
    Valingar
  • I guess nobody wants to be the first poster. So I will be a brave schoolgirl.

Good morning.

• Good morning!

I mean, not good, necessarily, since there's a crazed prophet on the run, but.
  • Good Morning! It is a good day indeed, or would be if not for all this shouting about the 'light' and the world being 'scorched clean'. You ask me, the only thing in need of cleaning is these streets of their presence!

•  Good Mor...  Oh come on! Again?!?! This is getting ridiculous. Havent these streets seen quite enough blood already? :Mutters incoherently:  Visiting the cave is getting really old.  
    By the divine might of Omei, you are restored to life.
    Omei gives the corpse of a headless cadaver to you.
    Omei offers you a quick wink.

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Varian almighty, this fighting is getting downright ridiculous. I had just gotten accustomed to the -peace-.
  • Good mooooorning. 
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Ahhh, pit. Alright. Who's big idea was this? Come on, if you come forward now before any more harm has been done, we won't even lynch you!

Heeeeere cultist cultist cultist.
  • ZechsZechs Austin
    Good morning, everyone. Oh. And if I don't happen to run into you later, good afternoon, good evening and good night!
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    *steps out, hands clasped over the ears, muttering about the damn ruckus* Morning.

• Ugh. It seems to be that time of year again. Can't we just go about and ask every person 'are you of the Light?' I'm pretty sure those people can't lie.
    Zaila
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    @Arbre Just wait until we get to the next installment: Mebrene Awakens!

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Are you saying you want that to happen, @Serrice?
  • edited April 2017
    I'd say let's string up this rabble, but last time I took matters into my own hands, two more popped up in their place. I trust the Session, we got good people there who will get to the bottom of this.

The best thing we can do is let those who can, do their job.

(font color="red")Vote: Nobody(/font)

Edit: To make the above look right.

Vote: Nobody

I can agree to that.

Vote: Nobody

• Current Standings:

Nobody: Xenia, Teani (2)
  • Interesting. For now, I'm going to

VOTE: Sibatti

as she is the only one who has not posted anything at all thus far. Say no to lurking!

• I know the first day is a difficult beast and all, but voting nobody really is a bad idea, first day or not. Worst come to worse, we can vote for a random person, but voting for nothing at all is a scum's move.
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    Ah, I'm not lurking - I slept in! Have some sympathy for a recovering drunk. I'm not used to getting up this early sober.
    edited April 2017
    Normally, I would agree with the uselessness of voting for nobody, but since the cult merely converts at this stage instead of kills, and we have absolutely no information to work from for an accusation, we can await the General and Sentinel's investigation and not be as likely to risk killing the aforementioned people by mistake!

<font color="red"> I Vote: Nobody</font>
    *Trying to fix the vote thing
  • Converting is worse than killing. Every time the cult hits someone, their number also grows.
  • Xenia's trap seems to be working. Good.

Unvote
    VOTE: Zaila

Teani is a plausible choice too, but a cult member trying to sneak in as number 3 seems more likely.

Of course, it is also plausible that Xenia is a cult member herself, but rather doubtful that she would be trying this if she were.

I dunno.... I'd rather have a chance to be converted than killed. Then at least I'm alive! If we kill someone, we'll  probably wind up with an innocent dead and another converted at the end of the night. We'll be down two, they will be much closer to taking over. If we kill none and they convert one, we'll be only down one and we will be just as informed going into tomorrow. (And everyone still gets to play!)

Does anyone know how many cultists there are presently? I assume it's in the 3-4 range, but I didn't see mention in the post.
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    Saying the first or second person who start a train aren't culpable (even if the train is nobody), but the third person is? That's a bit of a strange application of logic.
  • Yup, welcome to day one, any logic is going to be flimsy at best.

What I do know is that nolynch is traditionally the worst possible option, and with the cult converting instead of killing, this is even more so. As such, anyone voting nolynch is immediately suspicious, and spot #3 seems like the best hiding place to me. Could as well go to #2 or #1 instead, but I suspect that Xenia did this on purpose (as she did the same in a previous game, too).

Naturally, if you have a better candidate, go right ahead and provide your reasons. Discussions are our strongest weapon against the cult.

To be honest, I've never faced the threat of conversion before, so it's kind of difficult to know how to act. It sort of makes sense that it's worse than killing, since their numbers grow while ours dwindle, rather than our numbers simply dwindling. Still, first day is a tricky one. I'm keeping my no vote for now, but I am not adverse to changing it, should a viable option come up.

• So, lets just pause a crunch some numbers here for a moment, there are 13 of us here. Of that, we know there are 6 of us that are just here trying to defend our homes as best we can, 4 of us with special abilities to do the same, a cult leader, and a monster. Adding that up there can't be more than a single cultist lackey. Are we really going to start lynching folks blindly when there is only a 3 in 13 shot (cultist, cult leader, monster) that we'd be killing off someone we want gone? The numbers a definitely more skewed this time than in the previous attempts at our fair city here... I'm not saying we shouldn't lynch mind you, but I'd like to hear a good sensible reason for it if possible.
    By the divine might of Omei, you are restored to life.
    Omei gives the corpse of a headless cadaver to you.
    Omei offers you a quick wink.

XeniaZaila
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    @Zaila - It looks like we only have the Prophet and one other cultist now, if you count the roles in the top post. Of course, we still need to get rid of the Shapeshifter somehow too.
    Zaila
  • I reckon the Shapeshifter isn't really that big a problem. If the cult gets taken out, we can vote No Lynch every night until the General roots them out, given that they lack a nightkill. It's the Illuminai that bug me the most.
  • Karhast is pretty quick to defend the Shapeshifter and deflect attention away from it. Getting them killed is pretty important too, unless we want to lose a person every night that's got a very good chance of being innocent.

Vote: Karhast

Until something more convincing comes up, anyway. I can't think of any feasible reason why you'd downplay the effect the Shapeshifter can have or make it seem like not much of a threat.