Roleplay, Reasons and Repercussions

You know, people always ask me why I don't really rp during large events or rp in general. Here's why: Because no matter what you do, it doesn't fucking matter. The end goal is always the same.

Prime example, this Bloom infection that's going on that is very likely the event to get the new curing system in place. I get the admins need an event, that's all well and good. However, Bloodloch was the last city to be infected and the Bloom had no way into the city short of someone tracking it in, which no one could because we started enemying people. We had plans in place and were waiting to hear from admins about setting up a barricade and quarantine zones to make sure Bloodloch STAYED uninfected.

HOWEVER, regardless of what we fucking did, SOMEHOW the guards were infected anyway, despite NO sludge being in BL, NO citizens being in the city when infected (as far as I am and any of the leadership was aware), and NO stalks being in the city. So because the guards were infected, we lost our status as the last uninfected city because THE GUARDS infected the citizens.

I get wanting a new curing system, but if players do something to stop their people from getting infected, that should fucking mean something. Instead of admins just going "Oh look, uninfected! Blast em with an infection that came from seemingly nowhere! RAWR!"

THAT'S why I don't roleplay much. Because this is just one of MANY events, global/centralized/personal, that no matter what I did the roleplay I invested didn't fucking matter. Why should I waste -my- time pushing to keep the peace, stop an infection from spreading, slaughter an entire race repeatedly, etc... if nothing I do matters because the end result is the same?

Note: This is NOT, under any circumstance, a blast at the admins/celani that build these events for the players of the game to enjoy. I love what you do and I love your involvement in the game. This is just my perception of the events and what TYPICALLY happens any time I get involved into an event.

Fyrren

Comments

• KodazaKodaza Los Angeles
    Rhyot said:

Note: This is NOT, under any circumstance, a blast at the admins/celani that build these events for the players of the game to enjoy.

....Yes it is?

I was going to also quote the relevant section of your post where you do exactly that, for contrast. But it's... it's the whole text.

LinZailaCordiaKarhast
  • You could say that the end goal in life is always the same so why waste your time doing things? But maybe I am just getting too deep... The idea of Roleplay, in my mind, is to create a character in a constantly evolving world. Give it a few basic characteristics like their temperament, back story, and the general road you want to take it and through interaction with other players and the game's world itself, see where the character ends up. With this major events that help introduce major changes to the mechanics of the game such as this specific event, it gives an opportunity to react based on the situation and the variables present in the character you have created.

For example, the reaction I remember from yourself during the event over the Bloodloch city channel was that you would oust and enemy anyone who knowingly carried the infection into the city and did not remove themselves immediately. A reaction based on the circumstances and the way you play your character (which I actually found kinda fitting to the way I'd like to see Bloodloch as being an authoritarian government).

I think that one of the reasons you (this is just from what I have gathered from the way I perceive things and I am not trying to accuse you or imply this in a negative way) don't roleplay is simply a lack of interest in that aspect of these games. I am probably wrong but that's just the way I see it. And even though you don't 'roleplay' at all, the fact that you don't just gives the impression that your character is more of an anti-social loner who don't need no roleplay.

I play my own character extremely lazily since I really don't have time to sit and commit hours to roleplaying out something that in real life would take 20 minutes to happen. I love roleplaying but I just can't commit as much these days, so I play my character as being... well... how he is.

Just my two cents and all that noise. Hail Bloodloch!!!
    Avatar of Fyrren drawn by the amazing Sessizlik.
    Sigmund
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    I get what you're saying Fyrren and I have to agree with you on the anti-social loner bit, but that's how I play him anymore. And I can understand your perception, so let me clarify it up for you.

It's not that I hate roleplay or aren't fascinated by it or even don't want to do it. I love to roleplay, believe it or not. I can emote/write with the best of em. However, there's one glaring problem and reason why I don't and one minor issue. Firstly, when it comes to global events, I don't get wholly involved much in them because it just seems everything is already pre-planned and the players can't really change the outcome, no matter what they do. While we do get a lot of interaction which is great fun, we don't really have a choice in where it goes. We're kind of just along for the ride. Which is wholly fine, because it's a game and that's what the admins are being told to do to develop the game... I just don't see a reason to get fully involved when the end outcome is already decided.

Secondly, the playerbase is a big issue. Using my Imperian experience, people would roleplay with anyone regardless of OOC/IC age, OOC/IC sex, or any sort of clique and were actually cordial with each other. Sure, you had your cliques, but they weren't violent/passive aggressive towards anyone. And I would roleplay for HOURS, even DAYS with dozens of people.

In Aetolia, this separation of OOC/IC seems to be a huge issue. If you aren't part of a clique, you are either drafted into one or you get bits and pieces of roleplay as if you're a bottom dweller. Furthermore, these cliques in Aetolia aren't healthy. They control the way the roleplay has to play out, they demand other people perform certain things before they can roleplay with their group, and if you decide you don't want to be part of their clique... they turn their nose to you and spread around lies/propaganda to make the game unfun for you. I'm not saying every clique in the game is like that, but it does seem like a majority.

I have no issue sitting down with anyone and having a conversation with them, toss around a few emotes, and develop your/mine character as we go, but I don't because people seem to expect a level of 'You owe me this' in Aetolia. I am not ok with that.

Its why you might see Z as an anti-social loner.

Fyrren
  • Rhyot said:

In Aetolia, this separation of OOC/IC seems to be a huge issue. If you aren't part of a clique, you are either drafted into one or you get bits and pieces of roleplay as if you're a bottom dweller. Furthermore, these cliques in Aetolia aren't healthy. They control the way the roleplay has to play out, they demand other people perform certain things before they can roleplay with their group, and if you decide you don't want to be part of their clique... they turn their nose to you and spread around lies/propaganda to make the game unfun for you. I'm not saying every clique in the game is like that, but it does seem like a majority.

Since I started playing Aetolia, I've heard this exact thing from about 10 different people. It's why I try to roleplay with everyone. I have so much fun getting involved with random people, I really do, and luckily I've not -really- dealt with this kinda thing yet. I hope I don't ever have to. I like playing with people way too much.

Fyrren
  • The most common thing I hear from people seen as 'in a clique' is how much they wish for rando RP, and they're too self-conscious to go out and find it on their own. I mostly stick to coding/pk with how little time I have to play lately, but I suspect it's still true now - less cliques and more social/RP anxiety (so approaching people makes their day). There's always gonna be a clique or group you mesh best with, but nobody just ignores my RP attempts thusfar.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

LinRunas
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    I'm an AGRESSIVE rper. I RP with anyone I can convince to RP with me.

I have never had this clique problem you speak of in the 10 years I've been playing.

At worst, I've run into a few individual players who tried to dictate what I should or shouldn't RP - know what I did? Stopped RPing with them. Or ignored their requests/demands and behaved in character.

Will people just naturally fall into have a group of friends? Of course. But that's just how real people are. This isn't a symptom of an unhealthy game environment - that's a symptom of "Hey, I like those guys, and I only have X-hours to play this game per day, so I'm going to spend it with these guys I've gotten to know and get along with!" Sometimes, people just don't click.

Mostly, this just sounds like you're coming up with excuses and trying to blame other people for something you're just not that interested in doing. You don't need to make excuses, you don't have to want to RP more. Just be you and enjoy doing what you're doing!
    FyrrenLinCordiaRunas
  • I absolutely agree that the clique thing can be a bit of an issue, but then again, there are a lot of players out there who love the spontaneous arpee sessions that arise. It's one of the reasons I just take Fyrren for a stroll through Esterport and oh, SCENT, bunch of people in the Burly Chest, to Pit with it. I'm gonna just walk in there and see what happens. Big ol' Earthen among Templars and Illuminai and all that. If anyone takes the bait, it can be pretty awesome.

I do have my little clique of friends in Aetolia but it is very much related to the fact that I have quit playing x times in my life and two of those players have always been here when I return and it makes it a lot easier to return to the game, for OOC and IC reasons. But as far as actually RPing with them, I do it very little. I try to get RP going in the places that matter most. For me, Teradrim/Bloodloch/Ivolnorder+congregation and all that jazz.

Anyway, rambling aside. I think that one thing that the veteran players (players who have actually stuck to the game, really) can do to fix this is simply go out and RP out of their comfort zones. RPing with the enemy is also awesome. Have had several RP combat sessions with cool character build-up for new characters while reinforcing the direction I am taking my own.

And for the record, RP combat is the best RP. :smiley:
    Avatar of Fyrren drawn by the amazing Sessizlik.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I wish I could downplay the absurd amount of time I've RP'd by myself - and a few dozen of those instances became a social RP or became very significant such as Jensen being an order rep.
    Fyrren
  • I RP alone more than I care to admit, its why I end up with wierd shit happening to my characters in general, because I sit and pose items and talk to NPC's and play make believe with myself generally. My characters are generally introverted, kinda jerks or snobby, sometimes both. While I think I have put a seperation between my characters, I have then realized I have a distinct playstyle, writing profile, and quirks about what I like to do as a player. It is not an inherently bad thing, but it is something i have learned to deal with.

Understanding repercussions is something I have had to do numerous times, I know full well the levels of punishment that -can- come with IC actions, to a point I have also known when an arc is done and I have done enough damage with a character that its time to let them go. That being said, I am having a blast where I am, intimidating myself with new roleplay experiences, and even interacting with people I dont necessarily click with on an OOC or IC level, which is difficult.

When there is a will, there is a way, I suppose.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Most of my alone RP is a result of me THINKING someone is there paying attention and being wrong.
    ZailaMarienaIrae