Haven and City Portal Changes

Comments

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I guess it's cool to leave a spybody behind to be taunted and poked at.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Will there exist some means of finding which room a player has havened from?
  • There is already an existing artifact for that.
    LinTeani
  • Thank you, Oleis. This is actually a fantastic change. I hope it has some tangible impact, and I'll be interested to hear if it breathes a bit of life back into things.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I should perhaps make it clear that I didn't say you should request a -SAFE- room to haven from, but a meditation chamber where allies might not necessarily go in to bother people unless it's necessary. Enemies can still reach it to WREST and Allies can too, if it's an emergency or whatever.

If you don't even want that, then yeah, get a house and haven from that.

I can see many benefits from this, because I don't think people will be as likely to hang around in havens. At least I hope so.

Erzsebet
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Now they'll just start hanging around in player houses. Those people in havens are usually there for a reason - afk, coding, and private RP being the three I can think of off the top of my head. Would you rather I did my mudsex at the Inner Gate?

I don't like this change, and I don't think that it's going to have the intended effect. If I'm in my haven, it's because I'm either RPing with specifically one person for a reason, or I'm not wanting to physically RP at all but am fine with talking in tells and such. Additionally, I used it as a safe place to qq / login and defup from.
    KonnornErzsebet
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    I'll roll back the aggression ban and potentially offer it as an option for those who desire it. I misunderstood a potential concern and I can see that the majority sways against it. I will have more detailed thoughts after Howling. 
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    KelliaraXeniaNeomaSeth
  • If I'm in my haven, it's because I'm either RPing with specifically one person for a reason, or I'm not wanting to physically RP at all but am fine with talking in tells and such.

That's still possible. However, now there's a risk that an enemy or ally will WREST you from your Haven for whatever reason and force you to interact with the game proper. If you'd prefer that didn't happen, don't upset enemies and make sure allies understand and respect your privacy (and are punished when they don't). Your Haven shagging should continue on uninterrupted, then.
    TrikalRhyotHavenIllikaal
  • edited January 2017
    Can you wrest people while phase? I'm sure @Fezzix or some other Syssin-classed person may have tested it, but I was curious. (edited for clarity)

If so, omg... the assassination potential.

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Do we have to change all of our haven entry messages now?

• AxiusAxius where I am
    Additional question:

How does this work in regards to the IGNORE function then?
    Tenshyo
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Just add that much needed "this player is AFK" color to the who list and this'll be the best change of the year.
    AtrapoemaXeniaTeani
  • edited January 2017
    Satomi said:

Can you wrest people from phase? I'm sure @Fezzix or some other Syssin-classed person may have tested it, but I was curious.

If so, omg... the assassination potential.

Edit - Ignore me, I misread the question.

Nothing to see here.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
  • edited January 2017
    Also, second question @Oleis, think it'd be possible to have a generic "There are Shells here" in the room, and then have a second command like SHELLS to see who is actually there? I can see this getting super spammy.

I'm a big idler, but as long as the stuff I throw in my Haven don't come back out with me, I'm cool with this :P There are like.. 3 other ways to idle, one being Vamp specific, that I know about anyway.

• This is an interesting change. What I'm curious about if there is or will be a way to manipulate your shell to some degree. Eg if someone goes an interacts with you, can you have your shell answer? Move? Do something?

Maybe we actually are caught up in something in our havens, and don't want/can't come out for the time being. And, yes, I know there are tells, but I figure there is some fun potential to this shell thing.

Can we describe our shells?
    Satomi said:

Also, second question @Oleis, think it'd be possible to have a generic "There are Shells here" in the room, and then have a second command like SHELLS to see who is actually there? I can see this getting super spammy.

I'm a big idler, but as long as the stuff I throw in my Haven don't come back out with me, I'm cool with this :P There are like.. 3 other ways to idle, one being Vamp specific, that I know about anyway.

Aymah said:

This is an interesting change. What I'm curious about if there is or will be a way to manipulate your shell to some degree. Eg if someone goes an interacts with you, can you have your shell answer? Move? Do something?

Maybe we actually are caught up in something in our havens, and don't want/can't come out for the time being. And, yes, I know there are tells, but I figure there is some fun potential to this shell thing.

Can we describe our shells?

Whether you have one shell or 50, it's only one sentence in the room description, and it only shows if you're online. They are really only there for two reasons: 1) To show that you can be WRESTed. 2) To let people in the room know that their conversation is being overheard by someone else.
    [---]
    Satomi
  • @Rhoynn
    Serrice said:

Do we have to change all of our haven entry messages now?

Oh, sadness.

• Oh, in regards to the overhearing. Will only regular 'says' be heard from the haven, or full emotes and whatnot?
    You're welcome to change your haven entry messages, but I personally think they're just fine. This change is 100% mechanical and social rather than lore-based. Most haven messages already sort of blur the lines between IC and OOC when you think about it.

Only regular says are overheard.
    [---]
    Zaila
  • Its a bit unrelated to the current changes, but as long as they are being looked at would there be any interest or possibility in being able to have a list of people that could be given access to your haven? Some people have spent a lot of time on them, and it would be nice to be able to share them easier.
    By the divine might of Omei, you are restored to life.
    Omei gives the corpse of a headless cadaver to you.
    Omei offers you a quick wink.

• Sorry for the double post, but I thought of this right after  the last one. Perhaps some sort of single use item. A key of sorts that when used, takes the user to whomever's haven actually bought the the key? So if you wanted to have for  instance an small event there (party wooo!) You could just mail out keys to your invitees?
    By the divine might of Omei, you are restored to life.
    Omei gives the corpse of a headless cadaver to you.
    Omei offers you a quick wink.

Konnorn
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited January 2017
    @Oleis @Oleis make a customization option for shell poses. The empty shell of Aishia is here, overgrown with thorny vines.
    LeanaZaila
  • Aishia said:

@Oleis @Oleis make a customization option for shell poses. The empty shell of Aishia is here, overgrown with thorny vines.

I also would like this as I could tie it into my haven return. "The empty shell of Leana is here, being chewed upon by a giant carnivorous plant."

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I'm failing to understand something simple. You want the new haven thing because you think people are more likely to go interact. To the people who actually want to use their havens as they originally were, you say go buy a player house. So you're basically telling people, "You can still not interact if you don't want to, but instead of doing it how you are now, you have to spend 250+ credits to do it."
    Konnorn
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    People want gold sinks. Buying a house, apartment, and upgrading it or paying the taxes on it is a good gold sink. So 2 birds, 1 stone.

We also might see a use for the Development Ministries with the use of apartments and houses within a city, which in turn, forces communication between multiple parties. Again, 2 birds, 1 stone.

Aside from the large scale whinging that the pure roleplayers are doing, I think this is a good change in the right direction to get people to communicate with others a little bit more.

ZailaErzsebet
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Arbre: You mistake people. You can still use the haven as you did earlier, only now people can forcefully wrest you out of it if they want to. Nothing you do -inside- the haven has changed, meaning people are spared indecency at the Inner Gate unless you suddenly want to become more exhibitionistic.

What is being said is that if you want to be sure that -enemies- can't come around and wrest you as easily, you could spend credits on a House to hide your shell inside while you go to your haven. It is still optional, however, since all you really have to do is find a relatively safe place to haven from. The shell itself can't be located unless people stumble upon it or use an artifact.

We just think/hope that people will be less inclined to go to their havens with this change, and instead opt for staying out and about to interact. Staying in a house, doing what might have been done in the havens before, makes it easier for others to reach by prism and portals, knocking on the door and so on, so there is a difference.

• Which is what @arbre is saying - now you can do the exact same thing as always, just behind a 250cr paywall. You can't prism into houses from outside neighborhood, and a mono stops all portals etc. So nothing changed, it's just more expensive to be antisocial?

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I don't think you can prism or target any abilities at the shell anyways so really you just need to plonk yourself like anywhere hard for an enemy to get or out of the way/unintuitive.
  • Just a friendly reminder that Aetolia/IRE is a business.
  • I don't see why there can't be a city room that is essentially dampened with a constant vibe of silence. Keep a monolith in there, add a prog to prohibit entry from anyone but a citizen to said city. Let the city orgs foot the bill for the org members who want to use havens as before without spending 250 cr. I see no reason why this can't be the solution.

Zaila