Makeup Lovers: Welcome!

Introducing: the makeup thread! Things people can share here:

-Favorite and least favorite products
-Helpful youtube tutorials
-Tips and tricks to perfected makeup looks
-Makeup selfies and swatches
-New and exciting products/brands

One rule: Don't be a jerk. Don't derail the thread with debating things like whether or not people should wear more or less makeup, as an example. Don't critique the cost of people's makeup. No shame! People are going to have different tastes and price points. R-e-s-p-e-c-t.

(Spinesreach): Xiuhcoatl says, "Oh man, grab the children-corn. This is gonna be good."
Mariena

Comments

• MarienaMariena By a lake.
    At the moment I have discovered Colourpop. They are pretty amazing and really affordable, for liquid lipsticks :D

Eydis
  • edited November 2016
    New and Favorite brands/Products:

Lipstick/Liquid Lipstick:
    -$5.00, Colourpop. I think the Ultra Matte forumla isn't that great - it transfers all over the place and the color range isn't as far reaching as it could be. I've heard promising things about the new satin liquid lipstick line and I'm probably going to try those! https://colourpop.com/collections/holiday-2016

-$6.99 Tattoo Junkees. These are outranking high end liquid lipsticks in the vloggesphere. Zero transfer, doesn't weigh down the lips, and has a long-lasting formula. Each liquid lipstick comes with powder/glitter that creates another look. http://www.tattoojunkee.com/#HomePageProducts

-$15.95, Makeup Monsters. Gorgeous, long-wearing, and omgtakemymoney. You get quite a bit more product than some other makeup brands. 100% cruelty free and vegan. Lipsticks are made locally in Spokane, WA in small batches. The owner is cool and has a rag-to-riches story. I just bought the Blackened Heart and Maroon Masquerade shades. I'll swatch them on my skin once I get them.

-$17, Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks. The old formula wouldn't have made my list but the new formula released a few months ago is great. It has an even, pigmented, and long-wearing application. The texture is soft and moisturizing on the lips. There are around 100 different shades, all divided in quite a few finishes.

Urban Decay's Vice Liptick in shade Backdoor, Metallized finish.

Eyes and Eyeshadow:
    -$4.00, Makeup Geek. They have a wide color selection, are pretty pigmented, and retail at $4.00 per shade.
    https://www.makeupgeek.com/sales.html/

-$4.50, Karity. Their eyeshadows are the same quality as Makeup Geek. Their selection and pricepoint is great at $4.50 per shade. https://www.karity.com/makeup.html

-$5.00, Colourpop also has some beautiful colors. Color is pigmented and long-wearing.
    https://colourpop.com/collections/holiday-2016

-$14.50ish for a palette of 99 eyeshadows! BH Cosmetics. For people who want colorful looks and don't want to pay the Urban Decay or MAC pricetag, these palettes can be a cost-effective solution. The pigmentation and quality can be hit or miss. My Pop Art Palette from them has 24 colors and about...89% are worth using? They're not horrible.
    http://www.bhcosmetics.com/eyes/eyeshadow-palettes/urban-luxe-99-color-eyeshadow-palette

-$19, Urban Decay. Urban Decay has some of the most beautiful colors. Their pallets are more reasonably priced. Their Alice in Wonderland palette is going for $34 right now and has 20 shades. http://www.ulta.com/alice-through-looking-glass-palette?productId=xlsImpprod14051019&cmpid=PS_Non!google!PrestCos_Urban_Decay_TF&CAWELAID=330000200000540662&CAPCID=100920267510&cadevice=c&agid=29564984550&catci=aud-59354116110:kwd-15641272855&gclid=Cj0KEQiA39_BBRD0w-_rmOrc__8BEiQA-ETxXXQPUYvk1ER0FznnC8G3R41WfwPfKsvRTr-0gBVMQGgaAp1S8P8HAQ

-$24, Urban Decay Primer Potion. It makes the eyeshadow appear more pigmented, ensures it doesn't crease, and keeps in place all day. http://www.ulta.com/minor-sin-eyeshadow-primer-potion?productId=xlsImpprod12331035

Foundation:
    -$43, Makeup Forever's HD foundation is AMAZING, especially for paler skin. It's versatile, too, so if you stream or whatever it also looks incredible on camera.

Blush and Contour:
    -$20-$25,Bitch Slap cosmetics has some of the best highlights I have ever seen! Their ...artistry is definitely NSFW but yeah, incredible!
    http://www.bitchslap-cosmetics.com/

(Spinesreach): Xiuhcoatl says, "Oh man, grab the children-corn. This is gonna be good."
    Mariena
    Okay, I love ELF products. They are stupidly well priced, you can get them online or in Walmart, and did I mention they have decent quality? Here are some of my all time faves:

1. Dem eyebrows, tho. Instant Lift Brow Pencil - $2.00 (elfcosmetics.com/p/instant-lift-brow-pencil?dept=eye-eyebrows) This bad boy is the best brow pencil I have ever owned. The end is thin so you don't get weird crayon eyebrows, it's 2.00 and it comes with a spoolie brush at the other end. Plus, it does not smudge until you take it off with make up remover. Score for someone who rubs their head a lot (freaking migraines, man.)

2. Bat those eyelashes. Mineral Infused Mascara - $3.00 (elfcosmetics.com/p/mineral-infused-mascara?dept=eye-eyemascara-eyelashes) Alright so, this stuff will transfer around a little after a really long day, but I love its brush head, and it doesn't murder my eyeballs, which I appreciate because a lot of mascaras will make me look like I have pink eye.

3. Make your peepers pop. ELF Flawless Eyeshadow quads - $3.00 (elfcosmetics.com/p/flawless-eyeshadow?dept=eye-eyeshadow) I will admit a love-hate with these. I have two that I have in my work makeup bag (or the-bag-Mari-uses-at-work-when-running-late) that are staples. Those are the Golden Goddess and Matte for Plum colors. These are good pigmentation. Others? Meh. Hit and miss here, but when they hit, they hit hard.

4. Pucker up! ELF Studio Matte Lip Color - $3.00 (elfcosmetics.com/p/matte-lip-color?dept=lip-lipstick) So these will wear during the day and they will transfer, but they ARE 3.00, the colors are great, and they wear evenly. For a Matte product, they don't murder your lips either and make them flake and crack. Kinda Moisturizing, in fact, which is odd for this type of product. Very much like them.

5. APPLICATION TOOLS - Prices range
    (elfcosmetics.com/makeup/tools-brush-sets) So not even joking here, I only have ELF brushes in my collection and I'm pretty darned pleased with just that. The current clear/silver line is -boss-, even the weird semi-paintbrush one. A great set to grab for all the brushes is their professional complete set of 12 brushes, for $12, or the 19 pc brush set for $50 because you get a couple staple duo fiber brushes in that set. They don't shed, they keep their shape when you wash them. You can beat them against your make up table like you're Bob Ross without murdering them. Stellar, I tells ya.

So I love love love makeup. I like having a place to share my loves.

Eydis
  • edited November 2016
    Wow, I didn't realize how big and inexpensive the ELF line was. One of my favorite youtubers featured them on a hot or not video and it turns out their bronzers might be worth buying. You can't beat $4 for a multiple shade bronzer. ^.^

EDIT: Okay, this is definitely NSFW but I had to share this review of BS Cosmetics highlighters.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    dae dollar store contour set lol
    Totally counts! LA girl cosmetics or Wet and Wild have some for srs options.

I want to pick the brains of anyone who is listening about primers. Any time I use one, makeup slides off my face like its oil-slicked. I don't understand what is going wrong

• Mariena said:

I want to pick the brains of anyone who is listening about primers. Any time I use one, makeup slides off my face like its oil-slicked. I don't understand what is going wrong

Some LA Girls highlighters are dupable for Anastasia Beverly Hills x Jaclyn Hill's Champagne Pop. $7.00 vs. $30, so hell yeah!

And do you have oily or combo skin? What primers have you used recently?

• For Christmas, @Zarni bought me some new colourpop eyeshadows and highlighters.

Telepathy is an antique gold and Gameface is a true copper.

The thin swatches are just with one swipe, the bigger ones are after being built up without eyeshadow primer. So beautiful.

• I'm very dark so it's a little tougher for me to find things that compliment my skin but I just LOVE everything NYX right now. Especially their darker lipsticks, I think it's called the VAMP collection, those are my fave!
    He told me I was so small...
    I told him, "Water me."

Affirm Pilar!
    edited January 2017
    Eydis said:

Mariena said:

Some LA Girls highlighters are dupable for Anastasia Beverly Hills x Jaclyn Hill's Champagne Pop. $7.00 vs. $30, so hell yeah!

And do you have oily or combo skin? What primers have you used recently?
    I have sensitive skin + oily when I've fucked with it too much. I have tried the Hard Candy primer mist (This gives me face hives) and the ELF mineral primer (this makes my face feel like plastic).

@Pilar Nyx is pretty awesome but I can never seem to find them, where do you buy? Have you heard of Juvia's Place? Beautiful pigmentation from everything I've seen online.

@Eydis holy moly girl, those are freaking beautiful! I love their eyeshadows so much but their texture throws me a little. What type of brush, if any, do you use to apply? I didn't know that about the highlighters, that's amazing!

• @Mariena I often find NYX in drug stores and they usually have a big display in Ulta. It's a little pricier sometimes but if my local drug store has a limited selection (they're usually sold out) I just hit up Ulta instead.

I have also heard of Juvia's Place! I want all their palettes so baaaad.
    I told him, "Water me."

Affirm Pilar!
    Eydis
    Right? Stunning.

The last thing I bought in 2016 is the Swamp Queen palette from Tarte, from Grav3yardgirl (or bunny) on Youtube's collab with them. I'm really excited but it's stuck in Jersey right now.

I've never had Tarte products before.

• edited January 2017
    I'm so glad you guys brought Juvia's up. I meant to buy the masquerade palate but I got distracted and then I couldn't remember the name lol. Omg, the pigmentation on those shadows!

@Pilar: I've been wanting to try NYX too. Their VAMP collection looks gorgeous. Also, my younger sister has darker skin and she has issues finding the right shades in...everything. She's mentioned this youtuber before if you haven't heard of her:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SlKyaemOmzk&list=PLU0Qff8fm-CFLayNZJxGtEJJxnmFtIoYG&index=7

@Mariena: I have combo/sensitive skin. It sounds like it could be a compound problem: your skin demands water-based, alcohol-freeish primer while your oiliness demands something with extra staying power. I'm on the hunt too and I'll let you know if I find anything. :)

Since Colourpop is more cream than powder, I use synthetic brushes. For powders I use natural hair brushes. I get most of my brushes from Real Techniques and Sigma. Here is an article that talks about brushes a little more if anyone is curious.

Can you post some swatches of the grav3yard girl palette? I'm curious to see how the colors turn out. As for Tarte, their products are hit and miss. I <3 their lipstick/lip balms, their blushes, and some of their brushes. Their foundations, contour palettes, and eyeshadows usually don't work out for me. Their packaging is always stunning tho.

Edit: Oh! I discovered a new brand today. Has anyone heard of The Lip Bar?? Some of these colors are beautiful. https://www.thelipbar.com/

Mariena
  • @Eydis Omg yes, Jackie is GREAT! I follow her on YouTube and a few other girls. Lizzie Loves is so cute, she's helped me out a ton with my looks. I also like SNF more for style but she does some makeup stuff as well, plus she inspired me to cut all my hair off last year lol

I really REALLY like the VAMP collection and their SIMPLY RED collection. Both are so good and the colors are really pigmented. I have two in the Vamp collection called Bewitching and Temptress.

The Bewitching one is like a dark wine red and Temptress is a deep purple. I always get positive comments on both of these when I wear them out. I'll typically wear the Bewitching one to work interviews and clients almost always comment on how they like it and where I got it from. Temptress I'll wear out at night mostly, sometimes during the day but not always. Gives a very goth feel that I love.

The Simply Red one I have is called Candy Apple and I love it because it stands out REALLY bright red against my skin. Sometimes the reds are harder to pull off for me because they dial down the pigment, so the brown undertones come through and it's not as bright. With the NYX ones they cover up everything. They many different shades of red in that collection, I plan on trying them all to be honest. So hard to find a good red lipstick.

They can be in the range of $6 - $8 depending on where you buy them but I've found they last a long time. The Temptress one I wear the most and it's only just starting to run low after I bought it almost a year ago.

I'm actually doing my face right now before I go get drinks with a client and talk about work. Putting on Bewitching
    I told him, "Water me."

Affirm Pilar!
    Eydis
    Hey @Faerah! Looks like your go-to's are gorgeous for day or night wear. What're your thoughts on the oil free makeup remover? I'm currently liking the Garnier miceller remover but I feel it kinda leaves a film

Faerah
  • edited January 2017
    @Mariena - I really like the Neutrogena makeup remover I linked above. I have tried others (notably Mary Kay's and Sephora's) and I just did not feel that they did the job well enough because I felt like I had to rub at my eye too much. With Neutrogena's, I don't have to rub and pull at my eyes a bunch to get the product off and, though it does leave a slightly greasy/moisturized feel (which is odd for an 'oil-free' product), it goes away very quickly. I've also found that just dabbing another cotton round with water and running it over the eye makes any residue easily go away as well.

What I also like about the Neutrogena product is that I have successfully used it to re-hydrate my gel-liner. I just dab the brush in the makeup remover before dabbing it into the liner pot and it lets the liner roll right on. When I tried to do this with other brands, it was not a successful endeavor.
    MarienaPilar
    edited January 2017

Ooh swamp Queen palette

Eydis

Ooh swatches. Between the orange and gold there is a color..it is just like... Perfectly me colored. These don't have primer under them

blush bronzer highlight. Whoa pigment, will need a liiight hand

Eydis
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    edited March 2017
    I can't believe I just now noticed this thread. I don't wear a full face most of the time but I want to start experimenting more.

Left is December, right is today. I'm working my way back from a dark hair color back to blonde, babying it as I go. This is the healthiest my hair has looked/felt in years. I probably spend about 85% of my "beauty budget" on it. >.> It helps to have a fantastic colorist, but these are my product go-tos:

Hair:
    Kevin Murphy Blonde Angel Wash
    Kevin Murphy Blonde Angel

Sometimes I mix in Kevin Murphy's Repair-Me Wash or Rinse if I'm feeling like my hair needs some protein to make it stronger. I also like Caviar's Repair Rx Instant Recovery (shampoo/conditioner) for the same purpose.

Caviar Miracle Multiplying Volume Mist
    Reverie - MILK
    CC Cream

Makeup:
    Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Porcelain with a Beauty Blender
    Laura Mercier Foundation Primer
    Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup in Porcelain
    NYX Highlight & Contour Pack
    Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder
    Sephora Retractable Brow Pencil
    Urban Decay - Eyeshadow Primer Potion
    Urban Decay - Naked3
    Sephora Retractable Waterproof Eyeliner
    Diorshow Mascara
    Laura Mercier Lip Pencil in Nude
    Cover Girl Colorlicious in Dulce de Leche on the right, I forget what I was wearing on the left.

RECENTLY I learned there is a term for my eye shape, and a special way you can apply eyeshadow that goes against basically every tutorial I've tried and failed at until now. I'm gonna give it a go soon and will REPORT BACK.

Eyeshadow for Hooded Eyes.

Aside from that, I would really like to learn more about highlighting/contouring! I feel like my skin is so pale that I scare myself out of doing too much, and then it's barely noticeable. I also tend to almost always go for a nude lip (love pairing it with almond nail polish) but maybe I should branch out more???

Mariena
    edited March 2017
    Hi! Welcome! Your hair does look healthy :D. Girl. The thing with contouring people who wear porcelain as a foundation color (I feel you, I'm there too) Is that we have to go with cool-toned contours otherwise it looks like mud is on our face. At least, in my experience the bronzey contours just don't work.

EDIT to add: http://www.lunaticklabs.com/Contour-_p_231.html < This is on my wish list because of how many different contouring colors it has.

http://www.revlon.com/products/lips/lip-color/revlon-ultrahd-gellipcolor#309977862018||0 < These are in great colors that are just steps out of the nude range. I have Vineyard and Twilight. These don't last the super longest if you're a lip biter.

https://www.covergirl.com/beauty-products/lip-makeup/lipstick/katy-kat-matte-lipstick <there are some bright colors but these colors stay on for me, for a while. I really love the Catoure and Cat call

Sibatti
  • edited June 2017
    Late, but...

@Sibatti: I don't remember much about Ryan Murphy's products but if you're ever looking for another Shampoo/Conditioner, you should check out Theorie and the Theorie hair treatments. They have a color-safe line that has done wonders for me. My hair is so soft that I can't stop touching it lol. You can find it for only $14.99 per 20something oz bottle at TJ Maxx. It's not too bad.

As for contouring/highlighting, what are your undertones? It's hard to tell from the lighting in the picture. What products and brushes are you experimenting with now for contouring and highlighting? Also, do you have combo skin, dry skin?

Re: lipstick - are there any colors you lean toward the most?

Hello! It's time to play: Stare at Mari's face at an uncomfortably close distance.

This face is a result of some new products to me.

First!
    Covergirl Vitalist Healthy Elixir. $9.98

It does start to wear around 4 hours for me, but my face is happier with it than most foundation products in the fact it doesn't make me hive up, it doesn't break me out, and I don't have the red rashy face when I wash everything off.

Only downside: Their ivory 705 is the lightest shade they make of this one. I am lighter than this and cool toned besides, so it takes some face powder magic to make not look orange.

Second!
    Elf's Beautifully Bare Natural Glow Face Palette $8.00

I love this palette. It's metallic packaging is pretty, its colors are honestly light enough for me to contour with (I am a ghost).

Third!
    Physician's Formula Mineral corrector powder $11.98

This isn't new, I just love it. I am their translucent color. Yes. You heard right. Anything in their line, if it says translucent, I am that shade.

Fourth!
    Elf's Instant brow lift pencil in neutral brown $2.00

This isn't new either, it's just what I always use in my brows. I love the neutral brown or deep brown, depending on my hair color. I have gone through a fuck ton of them. but $2.00 heey.

Fifth!
    Jeffree Star Cosmetics Beauty Killer Palette $45 (I bought it 50% off)

So this palette is new to me. I bought it on the 27th of May during their huge sale. I did not get it until the 17th of June. That is ridiculous to me, since they're in the US too, and at the time there were no major storms delaying shipments anywhere. I enjoy that I can get subtle looks and bold looks from this palette.

I will say that the purple is NOT the purple in pan. I lined my eyes with it today. That's the color that purple comes off. A more burgundy than anything. The pink is buildable but I find that it isn't as pigmented as in pan, either.

Over all though, I really do like it and it's actually a lot more useable than originally anticipated for every day wear.

Sixth (I have a problem)!
    Phycisians Formula Lash Contortionist MAscara $12.95? I don't remember

So, I have a love of physicians formula because they consistently make mascara that I can wear without looking like I have pink eye (swollen angry red lids). This one is no different but holy fuck I hate this wand. It gathers product in its curves and if you're not careful you glob it all on your middle lashes. Formula is good, wand is angry making. I will use it out though, because like I said, it's not worth buying anything else for me.

Seventh! (and last, woo!)
    Kokie matte lipstick in Sizzlin' $7.98

I don't have a picture in this one, this is a new line to walmart. It does work very well if you don't eat anything. For a matte it doesn't murder your lips with dryness. It DOES have a habit of kind of.. rolling? off if you don't exfoliate.

And that concludes Uncomfortably Close with Mari!

EydisXeniaZaila
  • edited June 2017
    I heard really good things about physicans formula so I picked one up. I have a fruit allergy and my eyes were so swollen that I looked like I got into a fight with a lumberjack. So, if you have the latex/fruit allergy don't forget to read the ingredients! lol.

I don't really like Jeffree Star but omg that third color on the first row is gorgeous! Girl, that's a smokey eye look waiting to happen. Too bad the formula isn't great. Ardell(?) makes a similar one and it's expensive but it has great reviews. If I find the color I'll post it. 

Mariena
  • edited July 2017
    @Mariena I found that color I was talking about. This look is actually two separate colors from Ardency Inn: Royal and Orchid.

Edit: I tried to spoiler but the forums isn't having it lol.

Royal:

Orchid:

Sephora doesn't carry them anymore but you can find them here at Beautylish.

I got my very first package from Suavecito Pomade! I do 1950s pinup girl looks and my hairdresser told me about this company. The whole hair kit: the serum, the pomade, and the heat shield/grooming spray was only $27.99. If you want to get into the 1950s hair sets, this has just about everything you need in terms of product, excluding hairspray.

If anyone isn't familiar with them, Suavecito is a chicano owned mom-and-pop based in SoCal. They used to sell their products in tupperware in the underground rockabilly scene before they blew up. They grew up not being able to afford to buy pomade and now they have a standing rule in their shops that if a little kid comes in and can't afford pomade, their workers will just let them pay what they can. I <3 them.

TL;DR: The company keeps real and their products are CHEAP without lowered quality. If you want to check out the sets for yourself, they're <a href="https://www.suavecito.com/collections/beauty/products/suavecita-hair-kit">here.

Sorry for the giant pics taken from bed! I'm laid up with hurt ribs/back so you're getting the bare minimum here lol.

If you want to see how the products are used in pinup looks, this is one set I'm planning to try soon:

Mariena
  • edited March 2018
    Hey, hey beautifuls! I already posted about this in discord but I wanted to post this here too for those who may not have heard about it. Bigger makeup chains like Ulta and Sephora have been under fire recently for their unhygienic business practices.

My (gross) personal experience with repackaged products
    About a year ago, I bought a Makeup Forever Foundation for $38. When I got home, there was barely any product left. About six months later at the same location, I bought the Becca Backlight Primer for $38. This time I tried it in the store and it was empty. When I confronted the employee, she admitted that she gave me a tester. When I thought more about this, I realized how absurd it was. She walked in the back and instead of giving me a prepackaged bottle of primer, she went out of her way to go to the front and grab an empty bottle to sell to me.

I began buying exclusively from Sephora online. When I used a deluxe sample of Lancome's lash primer and Too Faced's Better Than Sex Mascara that I redeemed my points for, I got a staph infection in my eye. While I acknowledge that the staph infection can happen at any time for any reason, I got suspicious and did some research on Sephora's - and other beauty retailer's - practices. Here's what I found!

Repackaging damaged products and testers
    Ulta received media attention in January 2018 when current and former employees came forward to expose Ulta's unhygienic practice of repackaging used and damaged products. I have the article for you here. A class action lawsuit was filed against Ulta for these repeated practices last week in Illinois.

How and why testers are especially gross
    CBS published an expose on the amount of mold and staph present in the testers. If you want to watch yourself, click here. A microbiologist tested 60 samples from multiple stores and all of them tested positive for concerning amounts of staph and mold. When they tested Sephora's practice of using alcohol to sanitize the products, they found that even if it a sample was cleaned properly, it only removed 90% of bacteria. Testers are also expensive to replace, so stores are slow to dispose of them. A former Sephora employee CBS interviewed said a cream blush was once left on the shelf as a tester at Sephora for a few years before it was disposed of. Products are also slow to be transitioned off the shelves in general.

So, not only are they repackaging products that have been touched by other customers, they are repackaging products that have been touched by multiple people for several years, in some cases. They are also giving away samples that are past their expiration date. We're at risk for farmer's lung, staph, styes, yeast and other infections.

How can we protect ourselves from the grossness?
    • Know what to look for. Is the top bumpy when it should have a smooth surface? Like this:

• Check your products before you leave the store to make sure they haven't been used.
    • Do not use any samples or testers from major retailers. If you want to test out a product, use the back of your hand and wash up between applications.
    • Check the expiration date. Most products have an expiration number in the open container symbol AND an official date as to when they go bad. You can also check the back of the product AND the box to make sure they match!
    • Avoid free makeovers at Sephora, since they typically use tester products to do a full face or at least most of one.
    If you guys have any other tips, let me know!