Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• I'm sorry pls just leave me alone. :(
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

IraeXenia
  • No need to get Iraet
    IraeDelyth
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Lait said:

I have to outc herbs to eat them, or outc inks to ink tattoos. Not a problem for people who have played Aetolia since forever, but I came from Imperian where things auto-outrifted and frequently forget.
    I thought we had this already, but apparently not. So I added it! CONFIG AUTO_OUTC.
    DrestynZailaLaitPerilunaSaturnineNola
  • PRAISE HIM, PRAISE BE TO THE SYNTHESIST!

Irae
  • I Liaisoned the ink thing! I think you might have agreed to it then just forgot to do it.
  • scroll changes not appearing in logs. I think that's kind of annoying for when you are wanting to keep track of that stuff for whatever reason.
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
    Irae
  • When a design is not grammatically incorrect by any professionally recognised standards and is rejected because 'that [100% correct] grammar isn't consistent with the [incorrect] grammar we have recognised so far'.

What.

Who are these asinine standards supposed to be helping?
  • Nia said:

When a design is not grammatically incorrect by any professionally recognised standards and is rejected because 'that [100% correct] grammar isn't consistent with the [incorrect] grammar we have recognised so far'.

What.

Who are these asinine standards supposed to be helping?

The standards allow for some consistency. Given the nature of the game where anyone and everyone can craft/add things to the game to be seen by others, it's important to keep some consistency. I can't say I know what specifically you're talking about, but it's not uncommon to run into rules of grammar that aren't used everywhere being used. I've had to write papers that used rules I thought were idiotic, but you generally suck it up and do it.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Rasani, grammar is grammar though. Aside from a few exceptions that can be found in connection to the rules, it's still English and I think that's what the standard should be.

@Nia, do as I've been told to do a few times. If someone attempts to incorrectly correct your already correct grammar, supply a link to a reputable grammar site in the comments. It's either that or sigh and roll over.

• Gave a link to a Purdue Owl page once, got a reply (the exact same message) 20s later. Hyphen-everything-ever.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• Message Becue. She'll sort it out.
  • Teani said:

@Rasani, grammar is grammar though. Aside from a few exceptions that can be found in connection to the rules, it's still English and I think that's what the standard should be.

@Nia, do as I've been told to do a few times. If someone attempts to incorrectly correct your already correct grammar, supply a link to a reputable grammar site in the comments. It's either that or sigh and roll over.

That's exactly what I immediately did and it still got rejected.

Here's the design, with irrelevant details cropped and the comments ordered chronologically, so they're easier to read:

Design #22971
    Identity: Bodice Trade: Tailoring
    References: bodice, corset
    Components: 2x cloth
    Additional Ingredients: 2x bone slice, 1x ngumasta, and 1x leather
    Appearance:
    a blood-red bodice corseted with whalebone
    Dropped:
    Its stiff structure intact, a corseted bodice lies here.
    Examined:
    [...] The front is smooth, while a column of lemniscate-shaped eyelets allow it to be secured at the back with a tight, brown leather cord.

Comments from the Trade Guild:
    2016/09/29 17:43: You need a component for the bone. The appearance sounds like two items: a bodice and a corset. A collumn allows.

Me:
    2016/09/29 18:31: Sorry about the bone, slipped my mind! I've added those in. I'd like to contest the 'collumn allows' correction, however. 'Column' is always spelled with one 'l', in both British and American spelling. I assume that the 'allows' comment refers to the singular/plural status? You may wish to read this, which explains the Grammar: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/is-pair-singular-or-plural Collective nouns can be both singular or plural, grammatically, depending on the focus of the subject. In this case, since it is the eyelet(s) that are acting upon the object (it, the bodice), not the column, it should be treated as a plural. Counter-intuitive, I know! It's a common confusion but please do read the link. I'm amenable to changing the appearance. What would you suggest? It is a corseted bodice, and can be probed as both a bodice and a corset, per the references. I'd have called it that, but wanted to emphasise the 'whalebone' part.
    2016/09/29 18:33: See also: http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/collectivenoun.htm

2016/09/29 19:33: In the appearance, it sounds like two different objects. Yes, you can reference both bodice and corset, but try to make it clear like the dropped and examined are.

(Originally it was 'a blood-red bodice with a whalebone corset')
    Me:
    2016/09/29 19:56: Fixed.

2016/09/30 17:55: Yes, collective nouns can be a difficult thing, however we strive for some consistency here, and thus trend towards singular verbs as the collective is being treated as a single entity (a pair of boots IS here, vs some boots ARE here -- a column allows, vs forming a column, things allow.). English is an inconsistent and subjective language in many instances, and there are grammatical rules that change depending upon nation and region, and formality of writing. This results in quite a bit of confusion, such as in this instance -- however, we try to find a middle ground to fall back to, and this is one of those cases, which can definitely be frustrating on both sides of that equation.

Sent By: (aetolia) on 9/30/2016/17:55
    Your design #22971 has been automatically escalated to Becue due to a split vote.

There's correcting designs for quality-assurance — presumably, in order to preserve a level of literary integrity that the target market (text-game aficionados) are willing to becoming invested in and spend their money on — which I understand and agree with. Then there's this, which is knowingly enforcing rules that benefit literally nobody purely for the pointless sake of enforcing rules. Who does strict enforcement of incorrect style benefit? I think that's a question worth asking with any game regulation.

So, yeah, that's my main pet peeve so far.
    XeniaIshinNola
  • Being in the Illuminai and having access to Daru and Luminary News. Can this please be removed, or at least toggleable off? It's kind of annoying to readnews daru ### just to have it still come up as unread news on the webclient bar or on the chrome addon.

Also, broken IRE apps. Not fun
  • edited October 2016
    EDIT: CAUSE FUCK IT. IT DOESN'T MATTER.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• Man with my current experience in Aetolia, your pet peeve is actually making me feel a lot better.

Going to start doing everything I can to deny all arti whores everything.

• Zsadist said:

My biggest pet peeve is when I'm trying to talk to people and they're afk for HOURS/DAYS on end. Makes me not want to talk to people.

Additionally, I hate that when I'm looking for a commodity I can't find it in any of the comm shops because of decreased production and because stupid people (Crafters, primarily, who do nothing but continue to make repeated products of stupidity) unicorns hoard that unicorns like its going out of style. Screw you all and your 1000 different vial types, 50000 different bra/panty/shirt/pant types, and your 10000 different jewelry types.

Considering the people you're most likely to be able to get the comm from is these crafters, you might want to not be a huge dink about it. Considering I'm one of the crafters you're insulting and I've got a lot of wood, you can count me out on selling you jack after that. Pays to be nice and all that.
    DzekkZsadist
  • Draiman said:

Man with my current experience in Aetolia, your pet peeve is actually making me feel a lot better.

Going to start doing everything I can to deny all arti whores everything.

Does this mean I get free stuff?

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Trying to join a guild on an old, forgotten alt.

Oh wait but I'm over 100 years old.

So of course it has to be a federal act.
    DraimanXenia
  • It's not that bad man. They just need your RL SS, DL #, DOB, Mother's maiden name, and a short 4 page essay as to why you want to join.

NiaZailaXeniaHaven
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I treat anyone I've never heard of as a newbie.
    Arbre
  • Aetolia's project systems HATE my Ascii art maps. I hand-write them, and yet even if I hand-write them in either the popup editor OR the game's editor, the game chews the entire map up. >.<
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
  • any / needs to be //

It has to do with coloring and coding for the coloring and stuff.

Don't ask me.

• messages. They set off my OCD so badly. MSG RENUMBER is not a thing. MSG RECOUNT would be a different version of the same thing I want. Basically? I've got 3 messages, but because the newest one is listed numerically at 23, it'll be the 24th message next time I GET a message. This irritates me to no end.

Sent messages being counted in your message system also screws with my OCD, because A. They don't show up in the message box in-game when you do MSGS, and B. they STILL count towards that numerical system.

I'd say they need to either A. make sent messages visibile in-game when you check your messages, or B. give sent messages their own box. like SMSGS or something to check those.
    Zaila
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Being able to view sent messages IG would be amazing. Since we can see them on the phone app, they're clearly being tracked and all!
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Zaila said:

Being able to view sent messages IG would be amazing. Since we can see them on the phone app, they're clearly being tracked and all!

MSGS SENT
    Zaila
  • MazarineMazarine the best maze ever
    edited October 2016
    You can also do MSG SEARCH TO PERSON.
    Zaila
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Good to know! /forever noob
    Now, if they cana make it so I could just MESSAGES 1000 - and I could actually see the entire conversation play out back and forth
  • Do rm 1000 or w/e, then just keep doing RM, it will show you the full convo as it plays out.

Btw MSG RENUMBER needs to be a thing.

ErzsebetZaila
  • I understand -why- it's a thing, but I hate that logging off unphases you as a syssin.

I spent like 60 years in phase and now I get pounced on (verbally) every time I log on in the time it takes me to rephase.
    imageimage
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited October 2016
    Crafting inconsistencies.

For every other craft, if you want to do something that includes another piece, a broach on a cloak, a cape on a coat, a chair attached to your picnic-style table, whatever, you're allowed to add the commodities of the additional item to the one you're creating and do it, because freedom in crafting is super helpful when trying to be creative.

But not so with barding for some reason. Which makes even less sense because armor for animals doesn't actually give a mechanical bonus, so you can't even make the realism argument that gets made for forging stuff.

Is especially silly because you only get one sdesc modification, and if you have both and both would be visible, it would make sense to allow 'a caparison-draped mount with red armor' or something in that vein that showcases both as the displaydesc.

Not to mention not being able to include cloth in armor that -isn't- a caparison, but rather the base that the metal is attached to.
    imageimage
    Nia