Rio Olympic Games

DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
With the opening ceremonies only a few days away and I think some of the games beginning tomorrow (Some of the women's soccer matches?) I figured we needed a thread to discuss the Olympics. Or for me to discuss the Olympics because a lot of people probably don't care. But we have such a diverse group from across the globe we could hopefully share in all of our athlete's successes in the games!

Personally, I have a vested interest in the Women's Quadruple Sculls (that's rowing, in case you're wondering!) as my sister made the team for her third and final time. She's a bit vocal, which is good, and has surprisingly been in the news! Here is some light reading for you all if you're interested:

http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/olympian-on-rio-water-quality-i-will-row-through-s-for-you-america/

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/qa-us-rowings-megan-kalmoe

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/top-rowing-stories-watch-rio

What events are you most looking forward to? Are you also tired of hearing about all of the horrible things in Rio? Do you have a cat? Discuss!

XeniaHaven

Comments

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I'm probably not going to watch. One reason I don't really have a vested interest in it, and the other being the risks to public health & safety/government issues going on. So that will be my mini boycott
    Haven
  • I'm looking forward to the Olympics just because I want to hear all of the horror stories out of Rio.
    Zaila
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Yeah, I was super excited for the Olympics since I usually watch them. But because of all the health and public stuff, I'm less inclined to do so this year. I'll probably sneak a peak here and there but no where near to the level I used to.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Haven said:

Yeah, I was super excited for the Olympics since I usually watch them. But because of all the health and public stuff, I'm less inclined to do so this year. I'll probably sneak a peak here and there but no where near to the level I used to.

The clickbait lover in me is waiting for the olympics imgur rants and dumps about the issues that spring up
    HavenVaskar
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Haven said:

Really unfortunate, to be honest. The really selfish part of me wishes Chicago had won the bid. It would also be a lot closer and I'd have few qualms with going to watch the games.

As it is, my anxiety is through the roof for my friends and family going to the games. Mind was racing the point I had to take Ambien last night to fall asleep.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Demarcus said:
    Really unfortunate, to be honest. The really selfish part of me wishes Chicago had won the bid. It would also be a lot closer and I'd have few qualms with going to watch the games. As it is, my anxiety is through the roof for my friends and family going to the games. Mind was racing the point I had to take Ambien last night to fall asleep.
    I really wish we did too. I hope your friends and family do really well down there though. I'm just frustrated by the blatant corruption and health issues down there. They had time to prepare and barely made much improvement. Now the whole world is watching and it's just... I'm expecting Rio to be forgotten once the event passes but I hope for reform.

USA all day baby! (Minus the current debacle of an election we have going on.)
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Demarcus
    So apparently the locals have a Bingo-style game going where you pick which days of the Olympics a terrorist attack will take place. Lovely. I'm with you, Haven. I agree with my sister that I wish the media would stop reporting on all of the horrible things down there (out of sight, out of mind? Ignorance is bliss? I don't know...) If it were in Chicago we could hear about all of the shootings instead. It's not like we DON'T hear about shootings in America anyways... so it would be a normal day! HAH!

In other news, USA Women's Soccer beat New Zealand 2-0... Sorry @Razmael
    HavenXenia
    For those that are interested... the W4X A Final takes place tomorrow (Thursday, August 10th) at approximately 1020 CST. So 1120 for you East Coasters and 0820 for the West Coasters. Crazy race conditions have caused cancellations of events twice now, so it could move, but unpredictable winds and waters have caused two boats to capsize so far! Could be interesting! Just remember, there's feces in water (apparently)...