Short COMBAT Questions

Comments

• Illidan said:

I mean, 4 logs were posted proving it so.....?

Oh, I know lol. I just meant I didn't have any of my own to offer XD

• edited July 2016
    Going by your Confessions thread, it sort of looks like Aetolia is in the process of becoming old school Achaea in terms of theft, which I am definitely not a fan of, but if that is the case, people need to be as ready as possible. I am not seeing any resources out there so far, and while I guess antitheft is often "simple" (this is usually repeated at least a few times during any theft discussion), it had damned well better cover all of the bases. It also generally assumes that you're not in any combat - because that allows the thief to use much more effective tactics.

I've sort of asked around, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there - possibly because this game historically didn't have much theft (because your players famously wouldn't tolerate it and squashed thieves like bugs, which I admire greatly). But I mean, people know about some of the things you can do in general, and that is about it. And beyond the common sense bits, antitheft is incredibly specific. It has to work perfectly.

So where can I (and everyone else) find out -exactly- what I need to do to prevent theft? Also, I need to figure out when/if I can PK. I am betting/hoping I can do the ylem foci things, which would be the main thing I'd probably do anyway - although it sounds like that is mostly thanks to the player culture around those, rather than anything actually precluding theft attempts, so if that starts to shift as well, those could be out for a lot of people too, and really, PK is the main thing I enjoy in any of the games (now that I've had chances to take part, partly thanks to not having to worry about theft, actually).
  • If you don't own a shop and don't have a room/building where you hoard valuables you basically don't have to worry about theft. You mechanically cannot force give/drop/bury and generosity (affliction) based theft would have a hoard of players chomping at the bit and running to kill the offending player down to level 1 immediately.
    Jules
  • Thanks, that is way better than I was hoping for. Is a non-problem for me then. What a relief. I will be honest, I really didn't want to trudge through trying to set up a bunch of antitheft crap, and then probably have at least one fatal flaw in it, etc...
  • @Jules the very worse I've seen in the recent past is a shaman sticking you with generosity (through a random uncontrollable loki) and getting a random item off you. It's really rare that much even happens.
    Jules
  • Yeah, you can just upkeep selfishness if you're really worried about generosity and/or keep your valuable items in a pack you're wearing. But I've lost pretty much nothing (a couple grimstim and a single red bull eye) to generosity (all unintentionally afflicted by the shaman uncontrolled loki Yero mentions) over the years despite never bothering with selfishness.
    Jules
  • I guess the main reason I can think of where I'd possibly want to keep selfishness pretty much off would be be if you need to drop bodies to rez in combat (but I am not even sure that is a thing here, or is a thing for my side).

Anyway, yay. Because I freely admit I am a huge wuss about stuff like this. I'd just rather not thx.
  • Bodies need to be in your inventory to rez :D
    Jules
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Theft boils down to some basics.

On a personal level I think it's a shitty thing to do, so -I- don't do it, but I don't like restricting other players. On an RP note my character does break into shops and homes, but this was primarily for security audits or for possible raiding holes, Jensen views shop robbing as beneath his skills unless the shop is owned by an actual target and not just some rando lazy shop owner.

99.999% of thefts can be deterred by paying attention. Laziness is my biggest ally when I'm doing infiltrations because people don't check their ENT, use a BELL tattoo, or idle safely. pester your city for sigil upkeep, keep your buildings sigil'd, always check bell before entering a locked or secure room, check or pay someone to check for wormholes.

Now here's why I don't like theft. My reaction to you is very restricted. If you broke into my house and stole all the cool shiny loot I acquired over my entire game time, or stole my life savings that's for whatever reason stored in my shop, I should be able to pk you into the ground until my things are returned or until you're a novice again. Since I'm not allowed to do that, the risk on your end is very low. Stealing >100K or irreplaceable things is completely worth dying once or twice for
    XeniaRashar
  • Idk if someone stole that much stuff from me, I would consider it cause until it was returned. I'd pk them (or try anyway) every chance I got until they returned it or I was shrubbed. Especially the people that lost stuff when the Syssin artifact was changed.

If that was considered unacceptable by the administration, it's not a game I'd be interested in playing or giving my money to anymore. Thankfully, it's mostly moot.
    Trikal
  • Not like you're able to kill someone who doesn't want to be killed anyway. I could steal everything from every shop in Enorian then never leave my haven again. Or sit in city portals. Or just instantly run away unless you rolled me with like, a 10 man gank squad and never farsaw me once to figure out where I was. Theft is shit because it has like a billion times more impact than dying, and there aren't rules saying when you can/can't be robbed. It's pretty much the ultimate grief, with no counter-play except trying to rob them back or hoping they actually enjoy bashing.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Xenia
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I miss being able to sneak into havens, but unless they changed it I know I can sneak into city portals and hypno you to walk into a gank squad
  • edited July 2016
    Yeah, counterganks alone are hugely ineffective for all of the reasons you guys said. It was tried in old Achaea.

To really have an effect on any serious thief, the entire playerbase really has to put the screws to the thief by doing stuff like - oust from city, oh look now there is no city that will take you, and by the way every city just enemied you, too. Now you have limited places to hide out, and you have huge problems procuring even basic supplies etc... (which is apparently what you guys have done for a lot of your game history).

If the thief has a friendly base of operations, or really even an org that just tolerates them as a citizens, it's game over. It's now a thief friendly game. And yes, generally very big, one-sided impact when thief is successful. And sure, he -might- be "cool" about it, but he has all of the power and control over the situation either way. Also, how do you use the bell here? When I had used it, it was just the old single use thing.
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Jensen said:

I miss being able to sneak into havens, but unless they changed it I know I can sneak into city portals and hypno you to walk into a gank squad

Man, the days of Double O Jensen. Good times.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Jensen
  • That's how major org-theft is typically treated here. Say you rob the Terradrim blind and then say 'well, I'll just go to Enorian and one of their guilds'. Typically you'll get a pat on the back and a 'thanks for screwing with our enemy', but you'll have a hard time actually getting into any orgs where you're trying to go because you're a known risk.

Jules
  • MazarineMazarine the best maze ever
    Because I have no idea what's happening here, can anyone think of ideas why this might be happening before I bug it? My chimera likes to target ME, even though I don't have disfigured or disregrding on.

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/58dd7154

If I don't order the chimera to attack anyone, it should just say that.

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/53fa2d59

However, instead of that, it just hits me.

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/efbcdb0a

• Maybe give it a target in the syntax?

• MazarineMazarine the best maze ever
    Nah, you don't have to. If they're aggro on someone, they focus on that person and you only have to give it one of the commands in the AB file.

Chimera (Domination) Known: Yes
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Usage: SUMMON CHIMERA
    ORDER CHIMERA ROAR
    ORDER CHIMERA HEADBUTT
    ORDER CHIMERA GAS

As an example:
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/bd111564

• SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    edited August 2016
    Mazarine said:

Nah, you don't have to. If they're aggro on someone, they focus on that person and you only have to give it one of the commands in the AB file.

Chimera (Domination) Known: Yes
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Usage: SUMMON CHIMERA
    ORDER CHIMERA ROAR
    ORDER CHIMERA HEADBUTT
    ORDER CHIMERA GAS

As an example:
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/bd111564

Edit: Actually, no. Probably a bug. (Or an oversight)
  • I'm a new Praenomen. What weapon is best to use for pvp? I noticed large blades can be boosted with blood thirst, but are they slower than doublewhisper?

Also, can I wield a shield while bashing (does it interfere with frenzy?) and can I wield a shield in pvp with a small blade?
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    I would almost always go with a one handed weapon and shield. The audit loss, opening yourself up to lethargy/plodding (and epilepsy to an extent) hinders, and slow attrition of blood thirst are not worth the lackluster damage increase.

What you're wielding has no affect on frenzy.

As far as which weapon to use, any one weapon in the small blades class will work. The only differences that exist between a scimitar and a longsword (or any other weapon in that class) is purely cosmetic.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Didi
    edited August 2016
    Since I'm not home and can't test, is First Aid able to be configured to apply epidermal to torso or apply epidermal to head? If I recall, there were different curing priorities based on where you applied the salve. If this isn't the case, then I need to re-examine some dated code.
  • It will apply the salve directly to the position to cure the affliciton you want to cure, at no point will Firstaid use the command "apply epidermal" without an "on\to" modifier.
    Missari said:

It will apply the salve directly to the position to cure the affliciton you want to cure, at no point will Firstaid use the command "apply epidermal" without an "on\to" modifier.

Okay. Thanks!
  • AtalkezAtalkez United States
    How does limb damage work here?

I've got focuslocking pretty well handled as Carnifex, but I can't seem to work out how to get the various prone-damagers worked into chains.

Possibly due to my limited capacity for accurate limb damage currently, but I figured I would ask!
    Didi
  • Atalkez said:

How does limb damage work here?

I've got focuslocking pretty well handled as Carnifex, but I can't seem to work out how to get the various prone-damagers worked into chains.

Possibly due to my limited capacity for accurate limb damage currently, but I figured I would ask!

Well, how do you mean by that?

We've got two types of limb damage

Breaking and Bruising.

Limbs break at 20% limb damage - This is cured with restoration.
    Bruising I'm not really how it works, all I know is it is cured before limb damage - Bruising is cured with mending.

So, classes like Teradrim, have SUPERIOR limb damage and control because they can do both break and bruise easily.

Templar can bruise, Carnifex can break (iirc)

• Limbs become damaged at 33.33% and mutilated at 66.66%, both cured with restoration, and are broken by epteth/epseth/various other abilities that cause mending breaks.
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    edited August 2016
    Just think of it like in Achaea, except that limb damage (even before breaks) can be cured any time with restoration. And you can tell when people's limbs break. And there's prone parry. And double broken legs (even mending) prone.

Yeah. Serrice beat me to it. Unlike Achaea, you can basically tell when people's limbs are damaged or mutilated (versus just mutilated in Achaea). Limbs are auto-cured in Achaea after a certain amount of time has passed versus being to apply restoration to heal a limb by 33.33%. Don't need to use sleep or proning attacks after breaking the legs either since two broken legs will auto-prone someone.

Just learn how much damage your attacks do to limbs and be able to keep track of that while they apply restoration.
  • AtalkezAtalkez United States
    What's to stop someone from looping restoration while not having asthma, to keep limb damage down?