Post your computer specs!

2»

Comments

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Been planning a new computer build for a while now for several reasons. My current PC can't handle the newer RPGs that have been released this year like Witcher 3 and I'm assuming Fallout; also my roommate and I want to start working on our own game using the Unreal engine, which would require and upgrade for me to do worldbuilding. The big push for now is that I get back from one of my 10 day shifts on the 18th and don't have to go back to work until the 30th :D

So here's what I ordered:

Motherboard - Gigabyte LGA 2011-3 X99 UD3P

Processor - Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz

Graphics card - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz

I'm swapping my hard drives over from the old machine to the new one, but I picked up a SSD to install my OS onto. Also this lets me leave the OS drive on my old machine so it'll still run. Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD

Hoping my mid tower and 750 watt power supply are enough, but I'll praise/swear about that during the install.

• wait, did Jensen post a legitimate hardware design? :open_mouth:

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I hope not but it looks like it :(
    Unfortunately I'm sober and it's true
  • @Jensen maybe consider one of the upper tier i5's instead of an i7. At this point, most games aren't going to be making any use of the extras that the i7's have, so unless you plan on doing a lot of video editing, the extra cost probably just isn't worth it.
    Heh, already shipped at this point, but this is going to be my machine for the next 3-5. I usually don't upgrade it much if at all during that period. At this point the whole thing cost less than I used to dropped on credits on Jensen in a year.
  • Obyn said:

Do you like the Nano? I like the Nano, since the GTX 980 and ti are going up in price, but I don't know about gsync vs freesync. I found rumor after arguement saying that freesync still has problems with managing frame rates and screen tearing.

I mean, you know, an amount.

• I'll be honest, @Reux, I haven't looked much into the nano. I also don't personally use freesync, but I hear it is comparable. Trouble with freesync, and also gsync, from my point of view is the cost associated with monitors that support it.
    Jensen
  • Got a new Computer two weeks ago,

CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K Broadwell-E Six Core. OC 4.4Ghz

Motherboard: MSI X99 MPower ATX DDR4 Motherboard

Kingston fury 32gb (4x8gbs) DDR4 2400MHZ

Samsung 840 Evo Series 500GB Solid State Drive

Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda 3TB SSHD Hybrid Hard Drive SATA-III Hard Drive

Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex 850W 80+ Gold Rated Power Supply

Graphics: 2 x Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8192MB Graphics Cards in SLI (HB bridge & Watercooled)
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    holy f I'm debating even buying 1 1080 or 1070 Sli seems a bit overkill does'it it. Are you running a 4k monitor at least!?
  • Yeah, 4k monitor and TV. Single 1080 runs at 30 to 40 fps on certain games using 4k.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    What's the framerate like with dual? I have a 144hz monitor and my 770 still plays most new games at med/high around 90+
  • RizgarRizgar UK
    edited July 2016
    Rise of the the tomb raider, runs at 81 fps for me. Thats everything set on ultra and 4k. Everything else has been 80/100 so far. All depends on game, only had limited time to try everything.

Sli would be pointless for a 144hz monitor. It's purely for the 4k.
    A single 1080 should run everything in ultra settings with High fps 

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Yeah I'm thinkin about it still, they're still mostly instantly selling out at Canadian vendors so there's not really much shopping around to do yet.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    The 1070 seems like it'd be good enough but part of me just wants to go all out.
  • CorynCoryn Spokane, Wa
    I run this:

Colcannon i8 2.8 Potatohz processor
    10 Cabbage Bytes of Yam
    1 TB of SSD
    and a hamster wheel

All running through a 4k 28" monitor. Yup.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    ur missing a few key parts.
  • CorynCoryn Spokane, Wa
    Am I? Am I -really-?
  • You didn't give us the breed of hamster you use.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    isn't TB teddybear
  • what kind of yams
  • I use a Dell Latitude E6410. Cheapo laptop, but it does the trick. Most video games I play on it are older -- Aetolia, World of Warcraft, LOTRO.
    Art by @Phoenecia! Full image available here!
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    edited July 2016
    ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8CPUs), ~4.4GHz

12 gigs of RAM (weird number I know)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (4gig)

I have 2 hard drives. The first is standard 2 Terabyte HDD. The second is a 250 gig solid state.

Standard 650 watt power supply. You don't need much over this unless you plan on running an over the top setup.

The only upgrades I plan on getting are a new graphics card, likely one 1080. I plan on buying a 4kTV in the near future because they're much cheaper (and bigger) than monitors, provided you aren't buying a smart TV. Far more bang for your buck. Also the only reason I'm getting it is so that I can play ARK at Ultra graphics. This is the only game that I can't play at max graphics without my FPS tanking, largely because it's horribly optimized. Other than that, there isn't a game that I can't play without dragging that slider all the way to the right while having max FPS.

People that buy multiple solid state hard drives have always confused me because they're completely unnecessary and a total con from a salespoint. The only thing you're supposed to put on a solid state is your OS. After that, unless you have a lot of programs that all specifically need to be running from your SSHD simultaneously, you don't need all that extra space. You can just move things back and forth from your Solid State to your regular old storage drive with the click and drag of a mouse. Huuuuuge waste of money imo, but if you like throwing money away, then hey, more power to you.

My Rig in total cost maybe 1000, case included, and I built it myself. @Dhagon has been an IT tech for years and offered me a lot of helpful insight on this particular topic, and literally saved me from spending thousands of dollars unnecessarily. Since I've built it the parts have gotten even cheaper so you can probably build a similar rig for maybe 800 or so. Also try to go for AMD. The way it was put to me: AMD is like Mudlet, powerful and cheaper than their competition. Intel is like CMUD. Okay, but you have to pay more for....nothing.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Installing some games on a SSD works super well but it's not really practical for mass storage or whatever. Games that have loading screens between areas and stuff, it usually just eliminates those, good for getting rid of pop-in and stuff too.
    edited July 2016
    Aishia said:

Installing some games on a SSD works super well but it's not really practical for mass storage or whatever. Games that have loading screens between areas and stuff, it usually just eliminates those, good for getting rid of pop-in and stuff too.

Illidan said:

You can just move things back and forth from your Solid State to your regular old storage drive with the click and drag of a mouse.

The implication there is that you can download your games onto mass storage if you don't have space on your SSHD. When you're ready to play them, you can literally drag and drop them into your Solid State and play them from there. This concept is called storage management.

Or, after you finish up your game and don't feel like playing it anymore, since most people only play 1 or 2 games at a time, just delete it to make space for the next one. Really simple.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    edited July 2016
    I play stardew valley on my ssd
    I play every game I own on my SSD. Mainly Battlefront, League, and Overwatch, occasional Guild Wars 2, and I still have space on my drive for like 2 more games or so. Like i said, if i wanna play a game that's not on there, i'll just drag and drop it from my mass storage drive, and badaboom. Saved money on an unnecessarily bigger solid state drive, let alone an entire second one. Those things are so frickin pricey.