MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING.

Comments

• So.... for the last couple weeks, I've been going through the entire range of emotions and feelings ranging from suicidal thoughts/desires to anger to depression to sadness, all of it. Reason being, a couple weeks ago, I asked my girlfriend to marry me. Sadly she said no, but said she still wants to be with me and everything, only saying she needs time to think. Well, its been two weeks and she's been nothing but distant with me. So needless to say, I doubt we're gonna get back together... as its just a feeling I have. So.. yeah, life's pretty shitty at the moment and I'm not quite sure how to handle it or if I'll be able to pick up the pieces again.

Its rather upsetting to know that the woman you love, doesnt love you enough in return to want to stay with you for the rest of her life. Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll come back, but honestly, I doubt it. I'm not a great guy, nor am I very social, so I was lucky enough to be with her, I doubt I'll be lucky enough to find someone else.

So yeah.... life kinda sucks hardcore right now.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

TeaniKonnorn
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Hang in there, @Zsadist.

JensenEmelleAryanneIshinFaerahTrager
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Not really mad, just a safety moment brought to you by Jensen the Butcher

High winds can cause trees to fall across roads damaging power lines

These lines even when no longer appearing dangerous can still hurt or kill you.

At high enough voltages electricity can travel down the tree 'energizing' it and have also been known to shock people up to 30' away.  I likely shouldn't be this close since I know better.  

Even if the line is down across the road but not connected to the pole, home and business battery backups and generators can backfeed the line making it unsafe to be near and certainly dangerous to drive over
    Aryanne
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    these porcelain insulators went off like grenades when damaged
  • Slowly losing someone, especially when just days ago they were going to recover, is heartbreaking. I don't know if I feel fortunate to have both of my parents go quickly, or sad that I didn't get time to say goodbye. This all makes me hate the fact that I'm too familiar with death at this point that I keep having to wonder if I'm numb to it all. 
    Emelle
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    If you ask yourself that question, you're still okay.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    DristinEmelleAryanneKelliara
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    @Zsadist - You might not be a red robot, but hugs all the same.

@Dristin - I am sorry to hear of your losses /losing. We're going through a downhill battle with grandma's health right now and currently we have no idea if she'll ever be able to come home... It does get numbing but I think that's how our body's handle it until we can process at a later date.

- both of you, chin up

@Jensen - That is a VERY important lesson to share. Stay the hell away from the power lines. We had one fall into a puddle after a fierce storm and idiots were taking pictures on the wet ground and... Just yes. Safety first.

DristinErzsebet
  • @Jensen Had a few house fires that burned the lines, and they landed in water, and everything was wet cus we had like 3-4 lines going - That stuff is sketttcchhhyyy.
    Jensen
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    So this isn't necessarily on the same level of some of the other posts here recently, but...

The pollen count where I live has been really high this week. I developed nasty allergies over the last year to the point that I started getting shots a few months ago. I'm at about half the dose needed to get the full effect now, but I keep getting bad side effects from the serum with pollen, so they won't go higher on it until the side effects decrease a bit. In the meantime, I get an itchy arm with a nice, swollen red spot, lots of benadryl, AND all of the regular allergy symptoms.

In other news, I hate spiders. Today, I discovered that one decided to make a web right next to my cats' litter box. I thought cats were supposed to kill bugs and stuff, but apparently mine are ok with that. I am not ok with spiders being nearby while I scoop poop, so I had it smooshed. I scooped, then turned around to leave, and found another one right behind me watching. The cats were just hanging out watching that one too.

(I know that spiders often kill and eat other insects. I don't care. I'll get rid of those things too.)
    Ishin
    edited April 2016
    I lost all my research articles for the essay I'm writing. All of them. The only thing I have is what I've written of my essay, since I backed that up, and a TEDTalk I used as a base, but I can't keep working on it without the articles. I need it for graduation. I need it to have a chance at a good job, not a temporary one.

Mind you, it wasn't just not any kind of articles. They were specially sought out, peer-reviewed research articles on what effects gaming has on the cognitive aspects of learning. It was narrowed down to the appropriate age group of mid-teens. I had to read through hundreds of articles to find the right ones, as most focus on other media or specifically pedagogical games, whereas I wanted to focus on entertainment games, to see what kind of help/damage they would have on students' learning abilities.

Here's the TEDTalk I based my research on:

I should mention that it's not just any kind of essay. It's sort of my Master thesis. :/

• DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    This doesn't necessarily belong in mad, but I've been getting close to no sleep every night for almost a month now. Nfc why, but the last time I pulled more than 3 or 4 hours in this time period was when I went out with a buddy and got hammered. Even then I only pulled like 6 hours that night. 
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• Draiman said:

This doesn't necessarily belong in mad, but I've been getting close to no sleep every night for almost a month now. Nfc why, but the last time I pulled more than 3 or 4 hours in this time period was when I went out with a buddy and got hammered. Even then I only pulled like 6 hours that night. 

Welcome into the oncoming development of a life with insomnia. Its a bitch.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• Draiman said:

It may or may not help, but there are a couple tips I can suggest that may help with improved sleep. (Coming from someone who has battled insomnia in the past.)

I dunno how much research you've done on sleeping stuff, but certain things, like the light from monitors and televisions can apparently stimulate your brain, making it harder to fall asleep if you go to bed shortly after finishing doing stuff on the computer or watching TV.

One of the biggest things I found that helped me was setting myself a routine before going to bed. Finish what I'm doing/watching, cup of tea, read some book, brush teeth, wash face (or shower depending), pajamas, bed. It won't help immediately, but the idea is to get your body/brain into the habit of winding down during this time so sleep comes a bit easier when you eventually lay down.

Hopefully this helps you guys a bit, and anyone else that is grappling with sleep troubles.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    Draiman
    Speaking of sleep, I just got my cpap machine the other day. Sadly it did not come in gloss black, which is why I'm posting here.

I just want to put my mask on and Darth Vader @Sollace. I mean, seriously. Translucent/clear plastic just NOT the fucking same.

If any of you guys feel like shit when you wake up and snore real bad, I'd 100% recommend getting a sleep test done, real talk. I went from having 46 episodes of not breathing an HOUR to 1.2.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    KelliaraXeniaRiluoZsadist
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Highly recommend f.lux for your PCs. Helps tone down the blazing glow on your monitor as day goes into night into a warmer hue. Had really good results with it when I used to effortlessly stay awake till 3am playing dumb video games.

Or maybe that's old age catching up idek

LepekaIshinEmelleArbreOleisReux
  • Can confirm, the onset of old age makes it much harder to stay up till 3 am playing dumb vidya.

EmelleLepekaIshin
  • How everything just piiiiles on top of me at the end of the semester. 20 pages of writing in the last week, 18 more to go. Wtb: an end to this semester (plz).

(Spinesreach): Xiuhcoatl says, "Oh man, grab the children-corn. This is gonna be good."
    Ishin
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    No one in my training class at work knows how to shut up. And even worse, the sort've shit that comes out of their mouth tends to be belittlement of other people, making fun of folk for being different, fat-shaming people who are bigger for using the elevator instead of the stairs, and so on. It's absolutely ridiculous. If I were the trainer, and I had been informed of all of these things, as they have, the people responsible for creating a negative and extremely hostile work environment would be gone. We're all grown-ass people, the people working there should not be acting like they're in highschool.
    imageimage
    Reux
    Sending as many hugs as I possibly can your way, @Kelliara. DO NOT STRESS over the game. It's a game and we all understand. RL takes precedence and you need to take care of yourself first.

XeniaSolaria
    Go ahead and cry if you need to @Kelliara. Ain't no shame in it. Hope something works out for you! <3
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Teani
  • this doesn't compare to Kell's reason.. but I am posting it because I've seen a resurgence of it, and while it doesn't even compare remotely due to its minor status, I absolutely hate that Abbot and Costello joke of "Who's on first"... that thing just..it just frustrates me, and anyone who starts it up, or any medium trying to pull one just..frustrates and angers me more than gets a laugh out of me.
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
    Lepeka
  • Xandren said:

this doesn't compare to Kell's reason.. but I am posting it because I've seen a resurgence of it, and while it doesn't even compare remotely due to its minor status, I absolutely hate that Abbot and Costello joke of "Who's on first"... that thing just..it just frustrates me, and anyone who starts it up, or any medium trying to pull one just..frustrates and angers me more than gets a laugh out of me.

How can you NOT like Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First"?!?!?! :open_mouth:

• Zsadist said:

Xandren said:

this doesn't compare to Kell's reason.. but I am posting it because I've seen a resurgence of it, and while it doesn't even compare remotely due to its minor status, I absolutely hate that Abbot and Costello joke of "Who's on first"... that thing just..it just frustrates me, and anyone who starts it up, or any medium trying to pull one just..frustrates and angers me more than gets a laugh out of me.

it causes me a lot of personal frustration that raises my blood pressure and doesn't bode well for my ADHD, I can mostly feel it tightening in my chest right around the area my heart is located in, and as someone who's got a family history of cardiac issues, it's not a good idea to expose myself to stuff that affects that area. =_=", especially when that frustration often turns to anger and/or rage. Very quickly.
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    Cheap ass lazy rich people/companies who will squeeze every last drop from a penny.

There's a steel cable that is -vital- to my job. It parted in 2 yesterday. They gave me a new one that is 15 ft. too short. I told them I could finish the job with the one they gave me but I need one that's the proper length before we start a new job. This was at 10 am yesterday, they've had almost 24 hours to pick up new cable that costs less than 25 fucking dollars (fun fact $25 gets 250 foot of cable and I only need 60 foot), EASILY the cheapest thing on this rig. But we're here now and they're telling me I gotta make it work. I literally can't. It's not fucking long enough. 
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• Zsadist said:

Highschool theatre is my excuse for hating it. There was always at LEAST one group who did their rendition of it for EVERY theatre class. I had seen crappy highschool renditions of it countless times before I heard the real thing and it just makes me groan and turn off whatever is playing it.
    Xandren
  • insomnia leading to existentialism. Sleep deprivation makes me kind of emo and existentialist. And philosophical. It's weird. And feeling suuuuper crappy and sick makes me extremely creative. (no joke, I get a bad cold, and I design my best stuff ever)
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Our house's second story has a little balcony-ish thing overlooking the foyer with a railing that my cats like to climb through so that they can hang out on the ledge. On Friday, one was being a bit too playful or something up there because he fell off the ledge and apparently landed on his tail. I got it checked out when it seemed clear the next day that he was in some degree of pain, so we got some kitty narcotics that up until now seem to have been helping. He really doesn't like taking them though. It's a liquid that I have to squirt into his cheek, so he squirms, keeps his mouth shut, moves his head all over the place, and generally tries to fight in every way possible. I've managed to get it in almost every time, but when I tried this morning, something went wrong and some of the medicine ended up on my hand instead of in his mouth. I guess the pain took over not too long after because a few hours later, he started doing some of things the vet warned me about - beginning with peeing all over the kitchen floor instead of his litter box.

I love him, but he is very dumb and expensive. Also, cat urine stinks.
    SolariaLepeka
  • @Sarita When I've had to administer cat meds before, I swaddled the little bastard in a blanket and made him into a kitty-burrito. Helps to immobilize 'em if they're squirmy.