Abhorash Discussion

124»

Comments

• I sort of got the picture that the moderation was aimed at the person-to-person sidebar, and not in regards to the actual comments to Riluo (which I still don't think were trolly or all that bad, and am reasonably certain @Riluo was adult enough to handle on his own anyway).

And that was pretty fair. One of the hardest things for some of us is to just stfu when we have an opinion, heh. I'm as bad as anyone about it, I suppose.
    Aarbrok
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    I'm not sure the point of Abhorash's post shone through past the angry tone. I'm going to post the Dominion posts that led to Abhorash's response so everybody publicly knows what's going on and there's no confusion about his intentions.

DOMINION NEWS #19
    Date: 10/3/2015 at 1:17
    To : Everyone
    Subj: A hunt

Hail Dominion,

After speaking with the Primus and seeking his direction it has been proposed that the Dominion
    should look to unite through a hunt. As per his request it has been taken to the Council and each
    leader asked if their house will offer support in laying claim to a territory, whereby the denizens
    will be culled and those who oppose us reminded of their place. Of the Houses all but House Ve'kahi
    wish to unify, their leader felt that it was inappropriate to kill those who have done nothing
    against us and that is their prerogative. Indeed given a "general agreement or concord" has been
    reached with three of the four Houses it would suggest we will be moving forward with a "hunt."

The proposed hunt will commence one week from now on the 20th day of Arios, as the Howling turns at
    which point we shall marching upon Xaanhal to lay waste to any and all who wish to oppose our right
    to dominance. It will last for one week and end at the turn of the howling on the 1st day of Chakros.
    If there are any concerns about the venue please voice them otherwise it will be made public within
    a matter of days to entice the mortals out of their hovels. As always this is not enforced as I lay
    no claim to control over the Dominion, I merely offer opportunity to prove your worth.

In strength

Prince Riluo, Nebre'seir

Penned by my hand on Kinsday, the 14th of Arios, in the year 454 MA.

DOMINION NEWS #20
    Date: 10/3/2015 at 3:21
    Subj: Random bloodhunts

Dominion,

For clarity, I have nothing against consanguinic unification as the previous post would suggest, I
    simply think this bloodhunt is an asinine waste of effort, the product of a bunch of people
    afflicted with boredom and nothing more. Further, I find the implication that this directive comes
    from our Primus amusing, since what He -actually- said, was that we, as council, have the power to
    call one on our own and that he would let us decide rather than calling it himself every time.

Bluntly, you're all welcome to kill whomever you like in the name of Vampiric Supremacy, but
    slaughtering a village of prey--one that we all regularly murder and eat as food anyway, doesn't
    prove a damn thing, -certainly- not one's worth.

-Nimir Erzsebet Ve'kahi

Penned by my hand on Gosday, the 15th of Arios, in the year 454 MA.

DOMINION NEWS #21
    Date: 10/3/2015 at 15:17
    To : Dominus, Prince Riluo Nebre'seir
    Subj: Be Quiet

Do NOT call out other houses if they do not vote in favor of something brought to the Council. Do
    NOT put words in My mouth as if I said something that I did not. If you do any of this again, trust
    Me when I say that you and yours of Nebre'seir will not enjoy it.

Enjoy the bloodhunt that YOU all chose to make happen of your own free will, not by My specific
    direction, and carry on. Stop feeling like you must show off yourself as superior when it just makes
    you appear far more inferior.

-Primus Abhorash Nehekhara

Penned by my hand on Falsday, the 18th of Arios, in the year 454 MA.
    So let me explain exactly what Abhorash is saying here. Abhorash is mad for exactly two reasons. But let me share one more post made by Abhorash earlier in the year, shortly after the Gaes event came to a head.

DOMINION NEWS #9
    Date: 1/6/2015 at 2:47
    Subj: Concerning My expectations

Dominion,

My expectations of you, my Blood, have not been expressed clearly
    enough. I will proceed to explain My will in terms that will be plain to
    all of you.

Each of My Houses will more specifically reflect a defining element of
    My Blood and our Immortal race. The traits for which we are known and
    famed are our undying Strength - our predatory Cunning - our unfettered
    Intelligence - and our Purity of Blood.

House Nebre'seir has fought ever fiercely in My name and the name of the
    Blood; Strength is a natural trait for them to embody. I declare it so,
    and may they fight into eternity.

House Ve'kahi, in spite of their bastard status and their roots in the
    betrayal of Zoharim, have fought their way into recognition time and
    time again. Lacking wisdom and a pure bloodline, they shall justly claim
    Cunning.

House Bahir'an is the oldest of the lines which claim descent from Me.
    They embrace all that which is their right, although their considerable
    talent clearly does not lie with tooth and claw. They shall embody
    Intelligence, for they cannot embody Strength.

House D'baen, fourth and least of the original lines, understands that
    the Blood is a gift; they search above all others for potential, for
    mortal hosts that will rise beyond adequacy and achieve great potential.
    Purity shall be theirs, and may they grow ever Purer.

Now, you shall all learn how best to exemplify your traits.

Nebre'seir will be the iron fist should My Dominion be threatened, or
    should My Dominion join in war with some other force. When a blood hunt
    is called by the Council, Nebre'seir will be expected at the forefront,
    enforcing their will. They will not use their strength to force the hand
    of the other Houses. Force is My sole prerogative.

Ve'kahi will be the informers of the Dominion. Their status allows them
    to mingle more freely and unrestrainedly amongst mortals and those of
    lesser stature. They will be watchers, reporting their findings to the
    Council.

Bahir'an shall interpret My law, and mediate between the other Houses.
    They will encourage loyalty amongst the Dominion. They will hear issues
    before they are seen by the Dominion Council. You will find this
    familiar so far. Here are the further responsibilities I accord them:
    They will keep the Dominion's library and records, and go between the
    Dominion Council and the Dominion at large, communicating their
    verdicts.

D'baen shall handle the politics of things - the Dominion's image in the
    eyes of its members, and in the eyes of others, shall be their purview.
    Where Bahir'an keeps the law, they shall enforce it, and work to bring
    bastard and rogue bloodlines back into the fold, to join with the other
    Houses. They are answerable to Bahir'an should they behave badly,
    although I do not anticipate issue from the noble blood of Faith.

If there is dissent between any of the houses, always bring it to the
    Dominion Council to be handled by your leaders. If you feel that your
    house leader is not properly representing your house in the Dominion,
    replace them. Don't let stagnancy be blamed on me when you all have the
    power to handle your own affairs. Stagnancy is unacceptable. You may as
    well be a husk if you will allow stagnation to happen.

Enough business - let us speak of blood hunts.

The Dominion Council may call for blood hunts once a year in My name if
    there is sufficient cause by their judgment. Participation is never
    mandatory, but may well be rewarded. The Council may only call a blood
    hunt by unanimous agreement. Anything less shall not be considered a
    binding decision.

My bloodline exists above all other concerns. You are all of My descent
    - prostrated to Me, beholden to Me, to My will and My rule. I will not
    tolerate any more foolishness. Your places and your tasks have been set
    - now perform them.

-Abhorash

Penned by my hand on the 3rd of Niuran, in the year 438 MA.
    (1)
    First of all, your post to the Dominion calling out House Ve'kahi. Abhorash has said before, and publicaly, not to call out out other Houses of the Dominion - that's a right reserved exclusively for him. This is something that is also reflected near the end of post #8, where he talks about dissent amongst the houses.

(2)
    Your post heavily implies that Abhorash was the one to spur on the call for this blood hunt, which is the main thing he took offence at. You brought the matter of the blood hunt to him and he simply told you that he's not going to handle every single blood hunt and that the council has the ability to vote one into effect. Here's the exact message he sent:
    mmsg [riluo, callidora, asaraii, erzsebet] It is up to you all, in most cases, to decide if a bloodhunt would be fun. I tend to be the main voice for them as of late, but you as a council have the ability to vote and have one. I'm going to let you all decide if you wish to have it so or not, rather than calling the thing every time.

Again, this is all reflected in dominion post #8, "The Dominion Council may call for blood hunts once a year in My name if there is sufficient cause by their judgment. Participation is never mandatory, but may well be rewarded. The Council may only call a blood hunt by unanimous agreement. Anything less shall not be considered a binding decision."

As for what Abhorash didn't say... He certainly didn't say in his post to not go through with the blood hunt. He instead says to enjoy it but remember that the Council chose to make it happen, not him.

In short, there has been nothing inconsistent about Abhorash's latest posting that I could find through my own investigations. He in particular has beef with Riluo acting out like this because of the Gaes event, and Riluo was publically told off for that for speaking for Abhorash out of place.
    ArekaAarbrokAnfiniIshin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Side note, but maybe also read the HELP file on the area you're declaring. Xaanhal certainly didn't help since they are NOT Enorian and Duiran's friend, and we hunt there as much as the rest of ya'll. We certainly aren't rushing to that defense considering they blatantly seek Eno's destruction. Not being flagged aggro like city guards or cutters in Tiyen isn't the same thing as 'granting us safe passage'.
    RasharAarbrokTaras
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Thanks for that clarity, @Razmael.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited October 2015
    @Razmael I take responsibility mate as I crack it over a series of Consanguine related issues right now and should have not have let it spill over. Bad temper = lack of cognitive ability in the Irish and I am 100% Irish made and produced.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• edited January 2016
    Big necro, but a question:

Why can't you Sever someones abilities/access to their skills?

I do believe Achaea has a mechanism whereby Necromancers and Devotion users can be cut off from part of their skillset. I could be wrong, but I think their Devotion/Essence stops regenerating and since most of the abilities in those skillsets require it, it's effectively reducing them to 2 out of 3 skills.

Why doesn't this happen to Vampires that get uppity?

Not advocating it, just curious.

Edit: Perhaps it's because Abhorash is an Admin controlled character whereas the people in Achaea who flick the No Skillzor switch are players?
  • Fenrir said:

I do believe Achaea has a mechanism whereby Necromancers and Devotion users can be cut off from part of their skillset. I could be wrong, but I think their Devotion/Essence stops regenerating and since most of the abilities in those skillsets require it, it's effectively reducing them to 2 out of 3 skills.

Edit: Perhaps it's because Abhorash is an Admin controlled character whereas the people in Achaea who flick the No Skillzor switch are players?

Players flick the no skillzor switch in SOME CASES, but that switch also comes with the disclaimer that if you use it wrong, you're permabanned. So uh, it's more like the admin there let you pretend to push the button and make whoosh noises with your mouth while they do all the actual work.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• Think we should have an ability to sever people from our -bloodline-, but not so much cut them off from their skillsets.
    imageimage
    Veovis
  • Toz said:

Fenrir said:

Players flick the no skillzor switch in SOME CASES, but that switch also comes with the disclaimer that if you use it wrong, you're permabanned. So uh, it's more like the admin there let you pretend to push the button and make whoosh noises with your mouth while they do all the actual work.
    Alrighty, so why is it such a bad idea for Abhorash to do it?
  • Because players will bitch and complain if they have anything negative done to them, which then puts the admins in a tight spot.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• Vamps can sever a person's ability to sire and embrace, if they are House Leaders. I dunno the full workings of that ritual but it's a thing now.

If you go undead, you can't regen Devotion.

Illumination is really the only skill that could potentially be nixed. Everything else is outside the purview of Divine, more or less.

Occasionally, skills go haywire because of events... but nothing super bad-bad.

• RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    The issue most houses face is the inability to punish hr10 members and being stuck in a situation where they are untouchable. I caused issues for a bit just to prove a point and it took four real months for anything to come off it.

As for severing skills I honestly could not do that to people it is a tad evil and whilst Riluo is a utter prick I could not do it and feel comfortable afterwards :(

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    edited February 2016
    The gelding skill can be reversed, actually. If I'm reading the skill description correctly, it looks like it's mostly in effect as long as people don't want to cross the house leader who cast it.

EDIT: Assuming probably as long as the gelded person doesn't leave the house either. That is IF it even can be used if the person is a rogue or in a different house.
  • Zsadist said:

Because players will bitch and complain if they have anything negative done to them, which then puts the admins in a tight spot.

That's my point though.

If it works in Achaea, why couldn't it work here?

Again, neither for nor against. I'm enjoying picturing the hypothetical scenario where it's implemented.
  • Because of all the mechanics that have ever existed in IRE the ability to strip someone of their abilities (which most of us have paid cash for) is the dumbest.

@Zsadist you telling me you wouldn't throw a fit if I could come and PK you and then permanently take your chalice off your corpse?

I'm all for negative consequences in the game, but when my cash investment is in jeopardy because I didn't follow someone elses RP (admin or players), then we have a problem.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Erzsebet
  • @Draiman, to be fair, I came from Imperian where that shit happened/happens constantly. Maybe it wasnt my artifacts being taken, but people still took stuff. I'd be miffed, sure, but I wouldnt say shit if you did. I'd probably just buy a new one anyway. -shrug-
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I wouldn't be opposed to it if credit leniency was given. Complete skill refund, and 100% refund on artifacts specifically for that class. Since that won't happen I'd be super pissed about losing 1/3 lessons invested plus trading in arties at a reduced rate.
    Erzsebet
  • I think the replies here are based on a misunderstanding of why such a punishment would be meted out.

Since the hypothetical is based on Achaea's mechanic here's roughly how it works. Devotion users are a Factional class. They belong to Targossas (think Enorian). The big boss allows them to be citizens of a second neutral city, but they're not allowed in the Evil necromancy city, nor in the Nature city. You have access to your powers so long as you don't do anything to go against that faction. If you fraternized with necromancers and killed other Devotion users, you're gonna get Excommunicated. Same goes for Necromancy. It belongs to Mhaldor (think Bloodloch) and there's only one other place it's permitted. Again, go against Mhaldor and you're going to lose your ability to regenerate essence. The skills are still there, you just probably have to jump through some hoops to get your access to your Essence/Devotion again. Or quit class I suppose.

If, hypothetically, Abhorash is driving the Vampiric agenda in a certain direction and someone, lets say a Rogue vampire goes far enough off the reservation, why is them having their abilities retricted such a bad thing? It seems to me like Praenomen and Bloodborn are already factional classes. Everyone picks up the class knowing that, or so it appears to me. Is having that sort of potential consequence really so horrible? To me it seems like some pretty cool flavor.

Again, because I realize how 'in favor' of this idea my post seems to be, I want to state this is just a thought exercise for me to understand more about several things. One being the mental attitude of certain things in the Aetolian playerbase.
    SaritaAvishai
  • It wouldnt really be horrible, per se, but then thats forcing a player to play the game a specific way. There are many players who play Rogue vampires who would get all up in arms if Abho suddenly cut their ties from being a vampire and access to their skills.

Ultimately, admins have no real say in how you play the game.... beit as a Rogue or not. Like Draiman said, when you're suddenly forced to play a specific way, it becomes a problem. It doesnt matter if it would add flavor, make sense, or even be cool to see some asshat vampire be reduced to nothing and have his abilities severed because of his actions.... you cant force someone to bend to your rp/agenda.

Its why the admins usually walk on eggshells because they want to push their agendas, but have to make sure they dont seem like they are forcing the player to do something they dont wanna do. Its all a choice.

Now, Im not saying your actions wont have consequences, however, once your a vampire.... youre pretty much a vampire until you finally decide "Hey, I wanna get cured and be a lifer." Make sense?

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    The negative for rogues is not having access to dominion events at all and currently not having wisp. My character would probably be an off the reservation vampire for being rogue/yeleni. This game involves self policing for most actions and occasional admin intervention for more significant problems. As is Abhorash can insta kill you if he wanted to, stripping me of a class or making it worthless is an unnecessary function that would only piss people off.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    It'd definitely have to be something that is reversible, but I don't see it being a bad thing (for more classes than vampires, actually).
  • It also helps that skills in Achaea are tied directly to divine, so there's a literal RP that you kind of have to role with. Devotion is for Good, Necromancy is for Evil, Occultism/Karma is for Chaos, Groves is for Nature, and Alchemy is for cities (because they have the facilities for it). When you have skills directly tied to divine who are at the head of a city, it's easier to justify a "You have to be this way."

I also think they stick disclaimers to the help files of certain classes stating that more roleplay is required for them, and that skills can be taken away if they are played in a negative fashion to their theme.

Oh, oh, and we also can put our skills into stasis, so if anything like this ever does happen.. well, I can't imagine us not having the ability to get our skills back.

• It may have been missed, but I posted that it is absolutely reversible. You might have to jump through some hoops and pay for whatever 'crime' you were charged with, but we're all familiar with how this sort of thing works. I don't really think there's any crime that you could commit where there's absolutely no path of reparation to absolve you of your crime. I mean, we (IRE players) see combatants get tired of one faction and join another all the time. That would never happen in real life, but since these are games we don't see it as being anything out of the ordinary. So the cases where I have seen someone Excommunicated on Achaea haven't made me think "Oh that person is SCREWED." it's always been more of a... I don't know. "Oh wow. I wonder how that's going to play out."

And as I and others have said, there already are disclaimers on what you're getting into and how you should behave. I think it could happen and not be a bad thing at all. It's a very interesting scenario in any event.

Big things like this have always made the IRE games feel much deeper for me personally. I wonder what other fun mechanisms could be thought up.
  • For clarity, @Satomi I meant if specific childe Y is being pants-on-head retarded, I think it should be within my power as a Sire to sever them from my bloodline. Especially given the amount of pressure placed on houses by the admin to be more-or-less willing to sire anyone who joins our organization.

Re: the rest of the conversation. Don't know that I think it'd be a good thing for us as players (or the admin, for that matter) to be able to remove someone's skills. It can be argued that some people might deserve it, sometimes, but it's definitely subjective in others. As a player I don't really feel like it's my place to go (for example) Zomg, Jensen, you're a Yeleni, that's antithetical to Vampire RP, and enforce my belief of that on him by stripping him of class skills.* Not only do I not know the RP behind his in-char decisions and such there are, (and he's certainly not obligated to tell me) but even if I -did- know, he's rogue, he's not part of my house, he's not part of the dominion, what right do I have to exert my will in this way? Even if there's a way (through the person who set it in play or otherwise) to undo it, I just made the game less fun for someone else, for what? Some RP thing that may or may not be a meaningful exchange? Meh.

*Note: Not my actual opinion. Example purposes only.
    imageimage