Character Retirement

AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
edited January 2016 in Harpy's Head Tavern
For years, people have been asking for character retirement to get a portion of their credit value back for new characters, and IRE have been adamant in denying any sort of permanent credit transfer from old characters to new.

If possible at all, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this policy change that lead to the option for players to use character retirement in order to get credits to spend on new characters. Personally, I think this is something that might revitalize peoples' interest in the IRE games, or even give old players an opportunity to branch out and try one of the other games.

Also, I'd like to hear the playerbase's opinions. I have some Achaea characters I could retire for a fair amount of credits, which I'd potentially use either for another Aetolia character or one of the other IRE games. Anyone else considering taking advantage of this, and if so, what're your plans?

Kudos to IRE and the management of the games for going through with this. Really nice surprise.
MalokAryanne

Comments

• Definitely like the change. If I could see how far away some of my alts were to the retirement mark I'd seriously consider purchasing credits on them just so I could retire and consolidate them all on to one lifer alt and have Draiman and new lifer alt.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    edited January 2016
    By and large, this was one of the instances where calm persistence on the part of players and admin had a positive effect on IRE's leadership decisions. There were two main barriers to retirement in the past: determining equity across games and the sheer logistical issues of unifying player information when registrations were game-specific. I'm out of the loop these days, but my understanding is that it was an honest change of heart.

Major props to @Sarapis for being open-minded about the possibility and directing his staff to do the hard work in getting everything sorted out. Imperian's Garryn is always a superhero, and he did a great job of untangling that registration mess and making it possible.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    AlexinaMalokEmelleKehanniSaturnine
  • I've a couple characters (well, two) with a fair bit of credits in two former IRE games. It was interesting to see their credit value, but I don't see myself retiring them. I've my hands full with real life and Aetolia as is, so no time for alts. I'd also kind of hate to lose the pieces of history my past characters made on their respective games. But I like knowing the option is there, if I ever decide I want to spend a day trolling another IRE with a superpowered level 1 newbie before quitting it before level 10.

It's definitely an interesting twist from IRE. There'll definitely be a fair bit of people who end up with buyers remorse and regretting retiring their characters, but that'll be on them, not IRE.
  • Honestly, I'd like to retire a few of my Imperian characters, but I dont like the idea that it has to be rolled onto a completely new character. I'd rather just get reimbursed on Zsadist and just be done with it.

Other than that, love the policy change.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

MalokErzsebet
  • I don't think I have any characters I intend to be retiring...

But I am still super excited about this change! I am slightly more inclined to toss some credits into my alt now since if I ultimately decide to replace it, I won't feel like I wasted as much on it anymore. Thanks for making it happen, everyone!

Faerah
  • Zsadist said:

Honestly, I'd like to retire a few of my Imperian characters, but I dont like the idea that it has to be rolled onto a completely new character. I'd rather just get reimbursed on Zsadist and just be done with it.

Other than that, love the policy change.

My feelings exactly. I haven't played Imperian with any enthusiasm in over a decade, as Aetolia is just... better for what I'm seeking. Trying to play that game again doesn't evoke anything positive, the more I try to like it.

Also like Z, I don't have an alt I want to try.

Achaea means nothing to me, because it's the fuzzy LOL OOC scum that turn me away from IRE; I come to these places for RP, not... ugh.

Midkemia Online I avoid out of principle; won't let me play non-humanee characters? No non-Alliance? No thank you. I don't fantasy to be a law-abiding human. Same principle in every tabletop and MMO I've ever played. Make Dark Elves and Serpents available, and I'll consider it then. I like Betrayal at Krondor (thank you GOG for saving me for losing the disc), I kinda like the guy's books, but it's another case of design choices that conflict with what I want.

Lusternia sounds interesting, but their crafting system scares the bejesus out of me; lack of mortal oversight, a completely public access list, and just... there's no encouragement to be an individual. It might have been where I started out, but guh. It'd be the only game that I'd consider starting fresh.

I like Reux in Aetolia, and I have alts for when I get bored or want to taste one of the other greener pastures, so I don't think that's going to happen either.
    I mean, you know, an amount.

• EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    I'd like to see a way to retire characters without the huge credit investment; for less return, of course. Maybe lessons? Or even just the opportunity to end a character's arc, when the time comes.
    AryanneTrager
  • bye guys
    DraimanTrager
  • NeithanNeithan Sunspear, the Principality of Dorne
    So, uh...if I had multiple characters I wanted to retire...could I give all of their credits to a single new alt?
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Neithan said:

So, uh...if I had multiple characters I wanted to retire...could I give all of their credits to a single new alt?

Yes.
  • edited January 2016
    Reux said:

Midkemia Online I avoid out of principle; won't let me play non-humanee characters? No non-Alliance? No thank you. I don't fantasy to be a law-abiding human. Same principle in every tabletop and MMO I've ever played. Make Dark Elves and Serpents available, and I'll consider it then.

Er, I have both a troll and a dark elf char there.
  • Irruel said:

Reux said:

Midkemia Online I avoid out of principle; won't let me play non-humanee characters? No non-Alliance? No thank you. I don't fantasy to be a law-abiding human. Same principle in every tabletop and MMO I've ever played. Make Dark Elves and Serpents available, and I'll consider it then.

Yeah, I didn't figure it was worth correcting @Reux, but almost everything (aside from Serpents) is available in MKO.
  • KletturKlettur Underground
    edited January 2016
    Reux said:

Lusternia sounds interesting, but their crafting system scares the bejesus out of me; lack of mortal oversight, a completely public access list, and just... there's no encouragement to be an individual. It might have been where I started out, but guh. It'd be the only game that I'd consider starting fresh.

Hi!

Coming from Lusternia here, and thought I'd give you a minor correction if it's alright. We have a mortal review system for designs that's generally acceptable, and there are private cartels (upgraded clans) where you can store private designs, giving only members of that cartel access to make that design. The cost of making a design private to the cartel as opposed to public is roughly 1/4 of a credit's worth of gold, though credit prices are heavily inflated right now.
  • soo...we're talking actual age, and not "less than 2 weeks worth of time played" new? I guess that's understandable.
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
  • Looking at character retirement from people who stay behind. For example when a vampire retires what happens to its progeny? When people suicide the childer moves to their sire's sire, but this is not so with retirement.
  • edited January 2016
    The person doesn't get deleted @Neoma so everything about your Sire etc is still around, as in that person is still in clans, guilds, house, city etc etc Just in trophy (or whatever the word is).. So will NEVER return.

So, You still act like the person is still around as ONLY way you'll know that person has retired is if he/she has told you personally.
    MayhemHunting - Discord Chat - CLANHELP MAY (ingame)

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Actually, they get a line in their honors saying they've been retired. You're correct though; the character continues to exist mechanically so they'll still have a place in bloodlines if they are a vampire, they'll still be listed as a member of a guild (albeit a dormant one eventually). It's the same as going into torpor and just never waking up, like characters who were made permanent by their players by credits, but then stopping playing.
    Aryanne
  • Irruel said:

*blink*

Whelp. Now I know where I'm spending my retirement credits.
    Klettur said:

Coming from Lusternia here, and thought I'd give you a minor correction if it's alright. We have a mortal review system for designs that's generally acceptable, and there are private cartels (upgraded clans) where you can store private designs, giving only members of that cartel access to make that design. The cost of making a design private to the cartel as opposed to public is roughly 1/4 of a credit's worth of gold, though credit prices are heavily inflated right now.

Where I started, this wasn't explained well enough that my flawed perception was corrected. Maybe I need to try a different town.

Klettur
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I probably know the answer to this already, but my roommate wants to get into Aetolia. I know selling characters is forbidden, but can I retire some of my alts and just gift it to him? I don't really need/want to roll a new character and losing out on something I was never able to do before doesn't bother me.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Jensen said:

I probably know the answer to this already, but my roommate wants to get into Aetolia. I know selling characters is forbidden, but can I retire some of my alts and just gift it to him? I don't really need/want to roll a new character and losing out on something I was never able to do before doesn't bother me.

Yeah, that'll get you very shrubbed. :(
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    AryanneJensen
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    thanks for the reply! I figured that was the answer but I wanted to be sure
  • Reux said:
    *blink* Whelp. Now I know where I'm spending my retirement credits.
    Where I started, this wasn't explained well enough that my flawed perception was corrected. Maybe I need to try a different town.
    MKO isn't half bad. The RP culture there is very, very weird, but you can have some seriously good times.
  • edited January 2016
    @Saturnine

Almost afraid to ask, but can you elaborate on "very, very weird"?
    AryanneEmelle
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    The people are fucking weird, @Iselle. And there's like...this strict structure that everyone has to fit in or you will literally never fit in.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    IselleSaturnine
  • Ishin said:

The people are fucking weird, @Iselle. And there's like...this strict structure that everyone has to fit in or you will literally never fit in.

That's the feeling I'm getting, and I half-expect it when the place is based off an established book series. Not following the strict structure means that the game will eventually, completely, deviate from the books, and... that'd just be weird for new players but fans of the author down the line.

tl;dr Not suprised, doesn't bother me.

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I mean it's a good game. I invested in it and played it for a good while. My characters just eventually end up getting kicked out, because of how I am as a player. It is what it is. If you don't fit in, you're gonna get pooped on. For those of you who have played, I'll use Ugralitan as an example. Or any one of the Nighthawks.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • NeithanNeithan Sunspear, the Principality of Dorne
    I liked MKO quite a bit. Never read any of the books, though. (Couldn't get through the first, it starts so slooow) so, uh, I dunno if I fit in.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I own all the books (favored the Empire trilogy, which is based on the Tsurani world. That one kicks off faster, @Neithan. You should try it.) I'm hesitant to play the game because it'll ruin the books for me or something. I plan on trying it though.

• Iselle said:

@Saturnine

Almost afraid to ask, but can you elaborate on "very, very weird"?

In Aetolia, RP immersion is very granular - some people are die-hards who emote every blink and breath. Some people don't use emotes at all. Tons of people are anywhere in between. The nice thing is, though, that even @Cariv, who doesn't even read room descriptions, has the decency not to break the illusion of the game's RP. There is no "other side" because even the super heavy PvP players have great respect for the game world.

MKO is extremely polarized in this fashion. The community is probably 20% hardcore RP addicts who do nothing else, 10% in-betweeners, and 70% people who are just playing an MMORPG and don't mind letting you know. I've had the most incredible RP experiences of my life on MKO. I've also been pulled out of RP, on more than one occasion, by different people who bound my character up and dragged me bodily to a big fight just because my city needed bodies. You just get used to it!
    EmelleAryanneIselleIshin