The cryptic chests and skull tokens that were sold for gold have been removed
from Qeddwyn's shop indefinitely.
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
This means no more:

- Globes
- Chocolates
- Relics
- Pages

I understand grievances about the globes and chocolates, as I heard them at the recent godmeet. I'm assuming relics will come back in force with artifact promotions. The thing I worry about are the pages.

How are the pages going to be distributed, or is this seen as a bad system that needs to be retired/reworked? I'd enjoy getting pages through ylem efforts, for example.
I mean, you know, an amount.

Comments

• I'm sure they'll still have Cryptic Chest promotion sales. Also, you can still purchase Chests through the means of 30 Iron Coins.

But the ease of being able to bash/save up for them and the fact that they also give minor/lesser/major artifacts which you turn in for buku credits can really hit the sales of the game. Its kind of why they took them down, among other reasons.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• edited January 2016
    This means a lot more than that.
    Chests and tokens were the only meaningful way to dispose of large amounts of gold.
    Without them, gold effectively has no use.
    The way I see it is that his means:
    Nothing on the credit market
    Everything costing tons of gold in stores
    Ironcoins being massively more expensive
    Gold being worth almost nothing
    And most importantly: No way to get any artifacts without buying credits off aetolia.com
    I'm seeing this as a moneygrab that risks destroying the entire aetolian economy because there is nothing else to spend gold on at this point in time.
    I hope the chests are reenabled, or another way to spend gold is added, because at this point there is nothing.
    If you build your economy around cryptic chests, DON'T REMOVE THE CHESTS!

Another big point that was brought up was bashing, and in general very few people enjoyed bashing at high levels for the xp, but instead for the gold. This means there will likely be a lot less bashing activity. Whether this is a good or bad thing, I don't know, but the admins seem to be wanting to encourage bashing as much as possible
    EydisFaerahIshinFezzixZarniTrikalRiluoPlato
  • The economy wasn't BUILT around chests. While there are no huge gold sinks in the game, true, there are many things that still require gold sinks. Havens, houses, guild stuffs, etc.

Maybe this is a good thing to increase gold sinks. We'll see what happens.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I agree with @Grawthorg.

In one way it's kinda why I don't play the game that much anymore. Nothing has any meaning these days. Can't be banned from a city because the Admin will make people let you back in. Citizenship and laws have no meaning. No war system because boohoo getting griefed.

Maybe I'm just salty and looking at everything through rose-colored cokebottles.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Xenia
  • Kinda with Graw on this one.

Part of the reason why I chose to settle into Aetolia was because of the ability to slowly generate gold and build up artefacts (via chests) without draining my wallet. Because to be 100% honest, I don't feel the cost of credits are in any way friendly towards the consumer. Though if it is about income, the promotions could be a bit more creative. -shrugs- Happy new year I guess?
    EydisFaerahIshinIllikaalMariena
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    I am a bit annoyed but at the end of the day if better gold sinks are introduced I am fine as long as it is not another "warpaint" or something gold sink -shudder-.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• I'm not an economics guy but I hope something is going to be done sooner rather than later with the economy. With the removal of cryptic chests and complete lack of useful gold sinks, all that's going to happen is people are going to horde gold even more now, so when changes are finally introduced everyone's -still- going to have too much gold.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

RiluoFaerahFezzixEydis
  • I would love to see the views on why @Razmael deleted Chests.

I bash daily for gold and can buy upto two chests a week on a bad week. So with no way to spend my gold. I as long with many others will have ALOT of gold just doing nothing...

So Like Graw said, What will we have to spend our gold on? Prices for everything will go up.
    MayhemHunting - Discord Chat - CLANHELP MAY (ingame)

• RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    I think they will introduce something at the very least worthwhile otherwise you might be purchasing credits at 65000 gold for a while.

• Earlier today before this got announced:
    Credits currently available for purchase:
    2 credits at 5250 gold per credit.
    100 credits at 5600 gold per credit.
    14 credits at 6250 gold per credit.
    20 credits at 6300 gold per credit.
    34 credits at 6400 gold per credit.
    393 credits at 6500 gold per credit.
    1 credits at 65000 gold per credit.
    Total credits for sale: 564 shown (564 total) (Average sale price: 5668)
    Use CREDITS BUY AT to purchase.

Current prices, about 3 hours later:
    20 credits at 14999 gold per credit.
    50 credits at 15000 gold per credit.
    100 credits at 64000 gold per credit.
    1 credits at 64999 gold per credit.
    Total credits for sale: 172 shown (172 total) (Average sale price: 7863)

I hope this stabilizes on the lower end of that spectrum :/
    Rawr
    RiluoEydis
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited January 2016
    Well enjoy your hyperinflation Aetolia. With nothing giving gold a tangible value anymore you're going to see the economy get absolutely destroyed especially with the huge wealth disparity between the super rich and the average player. I'd wager this is the last month that anyone other than the people with tens of millions of gold will ever be able to buy anything worthwhile with gold again so the only option you have is to buy them outside the game.

Very shortsighted decision IMO and the death of any IC economy. Aetolia needs a goldsink that only pays out bound credits. The old system was flawed with how rich some people are and how they could flood the relic/credit market but this is absolutely worse.
    EydisIshinIsandeFezzixFaerahPlatoXenia
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited January 2016
    I do not see why we could not have "Lady lucks fountain" being found on the edge of the swamp near NOT after some excavation. It requires you throw in 80,000 gold and MAKE WISH. Although you can only do it once every 12 hours.

You can then gain one of the following things:
    • 5 bound credits
    • 10 bound credits
    • One free spin and 10k gold
    • token of luck *
    • 10k gold
    • 5% increase to health for 12 hours
    • 5% increase to mana for 12 hours
    • ripped page*
    • 5k gold
    • Lucks blessing for 4 hours*
    --A token of Luck grants you a random boon to one of your stats for 24 hours. ( will not stack with other tokens and only useable by owner. (decays after 5 real days)

--A ripped page can only be used by the owner. When four are collected and MEREGED you must bring your completed page to Windchaser, the head of the Fellowship and he will decipher it for 50,000 gold granting you a random compendium page.

--Lucks blessing is just that a blessing that lasts four hours

ZsadistMariena
  • Part of the game's appeal is that you can earn in game gold and then use it to buy the OOC credits, which you can then use to buy artifacts. Having relic pieces that can only be obtained from in game gold provides a link between the two. It makes it so that people who want to "buy" in game gold instead of bashing for it can do so by buying credits with real world money then selling the credits over the in game credit market. Removing Cryptic Chests destroyed that link, so the credit market is all but gone, along with that appeal that you don't necessarily have to spend real life money to get artifacts.

Sales might increase in the long run, but that's assuming that people who don't (or can't afford to) buy credits with real life money will suddenly start to do so instead of bash towards buying credits off the market. I feel like a better approach to improve sales would be to find ways to attract more players to the game, and I get the feeling removing Cryptic Chests might do the opposite.

I'm sure Raz has probably been mulling this over for a long time with real data, and I've been playing the game for less than a year, so please pardon my presumptions.
    Erzsebet
  • Idk, I kinda felt like this game's economy was on a slippery slope, with more bashing areas coming out with more gold drops than ever before, and promotions where its "Open this up and receive a bunch of bits and pieces of stuff AND OVER 9000 GOLD." At this point, I can only assume the chests were taken away because the very rich were able to afford a ridiculous amount of chests like it was pennies to them. This is because gold is far too easy to generate these days, and by extension, credit value. Aetolia being the business that it is, they obviously want you to buy credits from their website to any credit value growth to be meaningful. Otherwise i can only guess they expect you to do a slow grind across several years to get the things you want. If this is the case, I personally feel like other Aetolia would make a lot more money if they lowered the price of credits pretty dramatically, or lowered the price of artifacts. I know this would cause a global upset, and i'm not really sure what can be done about it, however you have to think about people's lives when you're running a game, and realistically calculate what people can and will spend on a game.

Aetolia's biggest credit package is nearly 1400 dollars for 5000 credits. That's literally 2 of any Level 3 str/int/dex arties which on their own aren't really impressive if we're being completely honest here. Do you know what people would rather spend 1400 dollars on? Rent. House notes. Electricity. Food. Gas. Car notes. Insurance. Cell phone bills. Clothes. And if you do it right you can get ALL that with 1400 bucks. Even looking at the old biggest package, which was nearly 600 dollars (2000 credits). I don't know too many people that just have -600- dollars to throw at -anything- unless it was like holiday time or something.

Basically what i'm trying to say is that this game requires (and lowkey facilitates) decent credit investment if you expect to be relevant. The problem is that this game isn't geared towards the middle man. It's very much geared towards people who have a lot of extra money left over at the end of the month, that are willing to just dump money into this game likely because it won't phase them. I'm guilty of it because i've been blessed with a fantastic job, but being able to buy -just- 2000 credits is just not something everyone can do. You might look at me and say "But Illi, -just- 2000?! I've never seen 200!" The hood artifact itself is 2000 credits. I'll just leave it at that.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    IsandeAvishaiJensen
  • Amberlea said:

Earlier today before this got announced:
    2 credits at 5250 gold per credit.
    100 credits at 5600 gold per credit.
    14 credits at 6250 gold per credit.
    20 credits at 6300 gold per credit.
    34 credits at 6400 gold per credit.
    393 credits at 6500 gold per credit.
    Total credits for sale: 564 shown (564 total) (Average sale price: 5668)

Current prices, about 3 hours later:
    20 credits at 14999 gold per credit.
    50 credits at 15000 gold per credit.
    100 credits at 64000 gold per credit.
    1 credits at 64999 gold per credit.
    Total credits for sale: 172 shown (172 total) (Average sale price: 7863)

I hope this stabilizes on the lower end of that spectrum :/

I just wanna say this.... for all of you who are/aren't complaining about the cryptic chests being taken away and making it unable to get artifacts/credits from buying them, you guys are the same people who are jacking up the prices of credits JUST BECAUSE cryptics have been removed. Kind of a catch 22, don't you think?

IsandeAvishaiXeniaXavin
  • Everyone who is or isn't complaining is causing problems - so everyone? What?

Also, here's the thing Z, you're absolutely correct that the prices are going up JUST BECAUSE cryptic chests have been removed. They were literally the only thing keeping prices in check.

EydisIllikaal
  • I'd like to point out that my problrm has only been addressed in theory by Riluo, and I think it's too harsh an answer to get a reward that isn't an endgame zone page. -.-

The rest is fine. Have you guys seen other games? The credit/curative market in Imperial is far, far different.

• Have you seen Imperians playerbase?

EydisTalfinel
  • Draiman said:
    Have you seen Imperians playerbase?
    Touche

• RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
     Chests were removed as a business decision, because it allowed people to turn gold directly into credits. This is not something I'm allowed to budge on, unfortunately.

We'll be adding new prize bags to the shop to replace chests for gold, that will contain some of the items available in chests. These items won't be able to be traded in for credits like the ones in the chests were.

We're more than aware of the problems we have with gold income vs expenditure, and it's something we're working towards fixing.
    KerrynZsadistFezzixIshinAvishaiXavin
  • I'm glad this has now been addressed and the player base has some perspective as to possible solutions, but I think communication needs to be sharpened between admin/players. IMO something that involved in the economy of Aetolia - and therefore pertienent to the gaming experience of nearly everyone involved - warrants more than a changelog. I'm not trying to nitpick but I do feel like this line of communication is conducive to an unstable dynamic that leads to frequent miscommunication and distrust.

(Spinesreach): Xiuhcoatl says, "Oh man, grab the children-corn. This is gonna be good."
    TalfinelFaerahZarniMariena
  • edited January 2016
    Credits up to 30k a hit on market... 
  • Overnight, Aetolia has managed to go from probably the best credit market in IRE to the worst, when combined with the gold changes, lol. Fortunately, I never buy credits off it so it is no big deal to me.

Veovis
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Ah I think whoever screwed the credit market over might have screwed themselves over too though. Dumping all your gold just before the bottom falls out of your gold earning method is probably not the wisest thing. It will stabilize over time. With gold being more dear it might shake out to being cheaper than before eventually once people calm down. >_> There will be more gold sinks!
    DristinXavinAvishai
  • LarionLarion Chicago, US
    I'm kind of confused about this, but from the other side.

As an old newbie (recently got back after not playing for close to 10 years), who is level 75, I found gold generation to be appropriate to slowish. I'm used to Imperian's bashing model where mods just drop gold as you bash. Here, I was doing mostly corpse turn ins, and I was accumulating gold at a fairly slow rate - collected about 35k after a month and a half of playing.

Now that all the corpse turn ins have been completely nerfed (Enzo went from 150 per priest to TEN), I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to generate gold anymore.

• Kafar said:

Credits up to 30k a hit on market...

People be fucking greedy man. I doubt it'll change much Aishia. credit prices always go up, never down

• RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited January 2016
    Yeah the turn ins are very low. I do a few set quests each real day to earn a quick 8k as it is enough to keep my things full. This seem quest that costs over 1k in boat trips now earns less than the cost to do it!!

Logic!!

Ishin
  • Riluo said:

Yeah the turn ins are very low. I do a few set quests each real day to earn a quick 8k as it is enough to keep my things full. This seem quest that costs over 1k in boat trips now earns less than the cost to do it!!

Logic!!

What quest is this? From what I can tell, there aren't any quests that involved islands that have been changed - so I'd like to take a look.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Larion, learn to do quests. That's where you can earn gold. Or you can check to see if older, more wealthy players want some errands done that will give you some gold.

Konnorn