Aetolia: 2015, and beyond.

RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
Hi folks,

As we head into a brand new year, I wanted to give you all a quick look at our major plans and ambitions for 2016. But first, I want to take a look back at 2015 and mention some of the bigger things that we accomplished throughout the year.

We expanded on the Foci conflict system with the release of Major Foci, which provides a grander scale of battle than lesser with colossal eld bosses to battle, putting rewards other than ylem at stake. We also saw the release of the Manipulation research tree, which unlocks ways for players to use their ylem reserves for powerful effects. Along with four class liaison rounds over the year bringing various skill updates, there were updates to the Mage classes, the Monk class, the Indorani class, and an overhaul of the Praenomen class. Let's also not forget the facelift given to the Sect of Blades that improved on the system's original concepts. To top off all these combat changes, we also released an overhaul of the server-side Firstaid curing system, bringing it into competitive levels, as well as the new Fluidcache, which stores all your curing liquids in a similar fashion to herbs in your regular cache.

The War of Night was a big event we ran this year and left permanent changes upon the world. The cities of Enorian and Delos were destroyed, both later to be rebuilt better than before; the flow of time changed forever in Aetolia as days became four times longer; and two new Goddesses made their presence felt. Unrelated events also saw the release of our first major region of the Albedos continent, the Dramedo Peninsula, with plenty to explore and do. On the continent of Sapience we released the Three Widows mountain range, rivalling the Dramedo in scope and content. These two regions combined have added almost 2,000 new rooms to the game. A glimpse of the massive Dehkay Plateau was also seen when a portion of the region was opened up during a political summit and festival. Other areas we released include the Shattered Vortex, a large open PK bashing area; three new villages; Mandre's tower; and more!

A new crafting talent was added to the game, Tambourier, for building percussion instruments. Ylem mines were released for each of the cities. These are a daily solo instance with a variety of quests that players can do to generate ylem for their city and net some experience and gold for themselves. The Fishing skill was also released this year and has proven to be a huge bite. And what goes better with Fishing than a brand new weather system! Rewritten from the ground up, the new weather system has a finer degree of realism, with plenty of new effects to experience.

However that's enough of the past, let's list what our main goals for 2016 are:
- Another new crafting Talent coming out very soon.
- War system is still our biggest focus. We plan to release this in several distinct parts to both get the content out quicker, as well as making it easier for us to balance and fine-tune the system after release.
- A release for our second region on Albedos: The Red Quarter.
- We'll be adding more areas to Sapience as well, including some new end-game bashing zones.
- An overhaul of bashing and introducing new mechanics for it.
- At least one new class (!!).
- Updates for the Sentinel class.
- An overhaul for the Cabalist class.
- We'll also be running class liaison rounds each quarter again.
- Our background story involving the elder Albedos Gods will continue to progress, as tensions rise between the two Pantheons.

Just to reiterate, these are just our main goals. We will be still be releasing other content such as new areas, events, and crafting updates. But our focus as we head into 2016 will be directed at what I've listed above.
KerrynReuxMariena

Comments

• If you can answer this....

Is the new class going to be Spirit, Shadow, or neutral tethered class??
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• edited January 2016
    To review for 2015:
    Ylem and manipulation and mines.
    Love it.

Liaisons.
    Love 'em. Shapeshifters WOOT.

Class overhauls.
    Don't rememeber 'em. Mage leaves a weird taste in my mouth after the following liaisons.

Sect of Blades.
    Cool. Stop making @Ezalor angry.

Firstaid.
    Love it. Use it while I'm too lazy to finish my system.

Fluidcache.
    LOVE IT BUNCHES BOUGHT THE VIALS, BANDAGES, AND TSHIRT :heart:

Events.
    Wish I was around to involve myself. Still waiting on the Mhun to open their gates or start ascending so we have NPC references for the races.

Talents.
    Cool.

Fishing.
    Cool for more flavor. Maybe I'll try it.

Weather.
    Love it. Plz to be expanding this to havens. Please!

To review for 2016:
    Talent
    Cool.

War System.
    Cool.

The Red Quarter.
    Cool.

New Sapience zones.
    Really? Alright. Cool.

Bashing overhaul.
    I still want details.

New class.
    Is it Bloodborn 2.0? You guys hinted you were going to do something with hematurgy and rituals.

Sentinel overhaul.
    With what purpose? I'm not sure what needs working with that class, besides unlocking them from their dhurives, or allowing crossbows to be more general population like bows can be.

Cabalist overhaul.
    Cool. Would love details.

Quarterly liaisons.
    Love it. :heart:

Albedos Gods
    Cool. Is Maghak's lack of a heart going to be addressed at some point?

Thank you to all the volunteers doing your thing. Thank you admin. You're all cool. :smiley:
    I mean, you know, an amount.

Razmael
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Zsadist said:

If you can answer this....

Is the new class going to be Spirit, Shadow, or neutral tethered class??

Nope, I can't give any details right now sorry!
    edited January 2016
    Reux said:

Sentinel overhaul.
    With what purpose? I'm not sure what needs working with that class, besides unlocking them from their dhurives, or allowing crossbows to be more general population like bows can be.

Albedos Gods
    Cool. Is Maghak's lack of a heart going to be addressed at some point?

Thanks for the feedback. To address a couple of your questions:

Sentinels isn't going to be a large overhaul. We're just unhappy with the way a few aspects of the class are underutilized after their revamp and want to nudge things in the right direction.

And yes. I'm not sure if you were here for it or not, but there was actually an event earlier today that progressed that story a bit.
  • Ohhh lordies, please let it be a Samuraiesque class.

Thank you all for your hard work.
  • Can you give us any details or hints about the bashing changes? Are there going to be more incentives to bash beyond Haven points? Do you guys ever plan on reworking how you get the #1 experience ranking? As is, you have to to hope Zsadist, Cori, and Trikal either quit the game or all drop from the rankings. There's no way to catch them with that lead and is one of the reasons I dropped from the rankings anyway.

Thanks for all the work so far. 
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Illikaal
  • Draiman said:
    Do you guys ever plan on reworking how you get the #1 experience ranking? As is, you have to to hope Zsadist, Cori, and Trikal either quit the game or all drop from the rankings. There's no way to catch them with that lead and is one of the reasons I dropped from the rankings anyway.
    I kinda like the idea of making this sessional.
    I mean, you know, an amount.

Arbre
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    edited January 2016
    Draiman said:

Do you guys ever plan on reworking how you get the #1 experience ranking? As is, you have to to hope Zsadist, Cori, and Trikal either quit the game or all drop from the rankings. There's no way to catch them with that lead and is one of the reasons I dropped from the rankings anyway.

Thanks for all the work so far. 

Hey, it's not easy getting to the top of any of these rankings and most of the time a lot of hard work has gone into getting there. The honors of being at the top needs to mean something, especially when so little else actually does in the game. Keep the overall experience top, but perhaps create a secondary honors line that can be won each -insert period of time here- so others stand a chance if the overall top grows lax for a few weeks?

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    lol could be like "MOST EXP EARNED 2015"
    Aryanne
  • Zsadist earned the rank and got credit for it. He's no longer working to obtain the rank but making sure he's the last person to ever get it. If he quit splitting experience with Cori and modified his bash route ro even just contest the areas Trikal bashes then no one would ever catch him.

Keeping the rankings like they are is just a super easy way to turn off everyone but the most serious of hardcore players who've invested truck loads of money from another aspect of the game. Pay to win or pay for perks? Sounds like pay to win to me.

• Eventually I'll drop from rankings.... just not yet.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    edited January 2016
    Well, it's similar to exploring in some ways. At least how it was before they removed a lot of the old rooms from adding to rank. I've been sort of constantly working towards getting top rank there, but it's been impossible with Moi and others at the top with rooms on their records that couldn't be reached anymore. After the remake, I had to do it all over again and it's been hard work . Still, if there are new areas released and others get to them before me, they have a chance.

So, seasonal (or whatever time period one wishes to use) doesn't sound to bad of a suggestion to me. I mean, experience is tied to levels and as it is, we don't really lose levels anymore. It's kind of difficult to change the fact that they are of an absurdly high level and the rest of us are... well, not that high.

Edit for spelling. I'm tired!

• Teani said:

Well, it's similar to exploring in some ways. At least how it was before they removed a lot of the old rooms from adding to rank. I've been sort of constantly working towards getting top rank there, but it's been impossible with Moi and others at the top with rooms on their records that couldn't be reached anymore. After the remake, I had to do it all over again and it's been hard work . Still, if there are new areas released and others get to them before me, they have a chance.

So, seasonal (or whatever time period one wishes to use) doesn't sound to bad of a suggestion to me. I mean, experience is tied to levels and as it is, we don't really lose levels anymore. It's kind of difficult to change the fact that they are of an absurdly high level and the rest of us are... well, not that high.

Edit for spelling. I'm tired!

Right, but explorers isn't the same as experience rankings. There's a 'cap' on how much you can explore. You can do it all and get to a point where you're at 100% explored (I'm aware that new areas can get introduced and what not but you know what I mean). That's not the same case with experience rankings and how they work. Zsadist currently holds the title and until he reaches his dream of level 200 I don't think he's dropping from rankings.

For the record, I don't think he should have to drop. I'm fine with there being 2 separate things for experience rankings. An all time and then something that resets, like the last version of the combat rankings, or Sect seasonal rankings for Crown of Omens, but still gives out a nifty fame line people can realistically work towards without grinding for a minimum year solid just to get to where Zsadist is now (that's a rough guess on how long he's been working towards 200. You got a real time frame on how long you been seriously doing this @Zsadist?) + whatever ground he's covered in that year.

I'm also not trying to say Zsadist is a dick for not dropping out of the rankings and letting someone else have a chance for it. I mean Z is but for completely other reasons. <3

Zsadist
  • AvishaiAvishai Portland, Oregon
    edited January 2016
    I think its kinda awesome @Zsadist has set this goal for himself, I am rooting for him, and genuinely when out bashing he is very courteous and helpful in OOC tells of course. (Sorry to ruin your grumpy rep Z) When I explained that I was bashing to end game in the Vortex he even rooted me on a bit and gave me some advice.

In contrast to some of the more 'scripted' bashers out there who dont even respond because they push a button and let their system run around and bash, Z is generally about, with Coribhell or alone and truly working and interacting and responds to people running through his room int he same area. If anything we should appreciate someone who is legitimately trying to reach a goal and still -playing- the game. Over the group of people (Not naming any names) with a persons bashing script who idle bash the same loop of places for hours on end.

(Mind you I only know about this script because I have it, and I tried using it once but I didn't have mounting and everything went ape-unicorns, but I can assure you it will bash faster for you than any other "bashing script" out there)

Go get that 200 Z, I am on your team with this one!
    TeaniKonnornAryanneZsadist
  • ...I'm not saying that..what?

If I'm coming across like I'm bashing Z then um...sorry? I like the kid, he knows that, I don't mind that he's bashing for level 200.

I'm using Zsadist as an example of how silly the system is since there is no level cap because he's the guy at #1 and he's not stopping. Making a system that allows new players and old players alike who can't dedicate themselves as (for lack of a better word) psychotically as Zsadist has for X amount of time a chance at gaining the fame line doesn't hurt his ability to get there.

Illikaal
  • AvishaiAvishai Portland, Oregon
    I did not think you were @Draiman, now that I had my coffee I can see how it might have sounded like that, sorry
    D:
  • edited January 2016
    Since it was requested:

If you take my playtime and subtract my idle hours (yes, I do have them too), PK times (practice, lessers, majors, arenas, etc), and the days upon days I've spent coding stuff for myself, Coribhell, and help others with their systems.... I've probably been hardcore bashing for at LEAST 340 days... give or take 5 days.

As of right now: Played : 401 days, 19 hours, and 25 minutes

Edit: Keep in mind that I do bash with Coribhell any time that she's online, so that cuts xp gain by 50%. And I've still managed to bash up to the level I'm at now.

• edited January 2016

BufordAryanne
  • If my childe reaches Lv. 200, does that mean I get to have Lv. 200 honours by proxy? O.O

Zsadist, I bash vicariously through you!

ZsadistTragerAvishaiAryanneHaven
  • Razmael said:

- We'll be adding more areas to Sapience as well, including some new end-game bashing zones.
    - An overhaul of bashing and introducing new mechanics for it.

Bringing the thread back on original topic:

@Razmael: Can you expand a bit more on these two areas? I mean, a few areas that have been released as "end-game" areas are not in fact "end game" areas in retrospect to other areas (ie Xorani, Tcanna, Vortex, Volcano, Tiyen). Are the new areas going to be able to contest and be classed in the same category as the above areas or will they be classed as sub-par endgame areas like Arbothia and the like?

Secondly, what exactly is your vision of the overhaul of bashing and what kind of new mechanics are you looking to implement?

It's important to had a wide variety of end-game areas, as due to buffs, artifacts, and so on, not everybody is on equal footing. This is why you'll find a disparity in the difficulty of end-game areas.

I don't really want to say too much on the bashing overhaul, as it's still in very early changes. However one of the big things I'm going to be looking at is new incentives for bashing as a party.
    RiluoKerrynIshin
  • Whys people complaining when the ones who are, are not even in the TOP 20 of rankings.

@Razmael are the hunting areas going to be instances like Xaanhal, or NEW areas as a whole?
    MayhemHunting - Discord Chat - CLANHELP MAY (ingame)

• HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    edited January 2016
    Sivekui said:

are the hunting areas going to be instances like Xaanhal, or NEW areas as a whole?

Instances will largely be group efforts with focuses on unique encounters with bosses in the future. You should expect to see instances and areas, but they will not follow the theme of Xaanhal.

• ah Thanks Hadrak, As good as Xaanhal is, it can be a boring grind and only suits them with high magic/cold/fire/electric audits.
    MayhemHunting - Discord Chat - CLANHELP MAY (ingame)

• I'm going to just keep whispering 'personal armies' to myself over and over, as if that will make it come true. Think of the political intrigue with defections, betrayals and the like. Incentive to grind up gold (wages), your army surviving gaining them experience while casualties cause your overall morale/experience to drop. Everyone getting to play with the war system if they want.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• And would you be able to send some squads out on missions to bring back comms, gold, and other such things? :3

Aryanne
  • Satomi said:

And would you be able to send some squads out on missions to bring back comms, gold, and other such things? :3

I didn't think further than sitting on a throne in a longhall with crimson banners emblazoned with silver hammers watching my troops train.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

ZsadistAryanneSatomiXenia
  • Please do more like that.

Years ago I used to draw up maps of these game like this (not necessarily as good), just for myself.

I found they help with immersion into the game, visualising where my character is becomes easier.

So, thankyou!
    DraimanXavinEydisArbreAryanneEmelleRiluo
  • Hay! Lets go to Greymarsh! I bet that's just an amazing place to be!

In all honesty, @Hadrak, that map is pretty freakin' sweet. What program are you using to create the map?