Bashing & You

HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
edited October 2015 in Aetolia Development
PvE (aka player versus environment) content can be a core part of Aetolia for many players as they level their characters and explore. Lately, however, we've noticed that there are some areas that are overlooked or untouched by many players.

We'd like to ask several questions in regards to bashing and areas where that is the primary focus:

1) Where do you enjoy bashing?
2) Why do you bash?
3) Why do you not bash [insert areas here]?
4) What bashing areas seem to not be worth the effort?

Thanks, folks! I look forward to your input and feedback.

Comments

• AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Tiyen Esityi and Xaanhal primarily

2) Why do you bash?
    Usually for gold when I need it, the experience is not really important anymore, the allure of Havens Points loses its charm when you run out of things you would like/need

I do not bash alot of the newer areas because I burn through more curatives in them, the more afflictions cause more risk of my system having a hiccup or lag getting me killed, when its just health I have to worry about I am a Cabalist and can generally tank the damage so to speak. All the new areas that get released dont have enough risk vs reward, the gold drops are not as impressive as older areas, and beyond the initial events....or say maybe a group incentive they seem silly, this ...however gets negated by newer Albedos areas, I feel the Roleplay we have gotten from the warrens and slavers areas has bolstered our desire to help in them, mind you I would not go there alone as a -bashing- area, but it is great for morale and unity on a group level, and has been rewarding. No other new area has provided such an allure or interaction and I believe that is why they falter.

4) What bashing areas seem to not be the effort?
    That place off the Bloodwood with the rabid plants and whatever...and the Vortex, for two reasons, the affliction rate and damage output is really messy unless you have artifacts, orbs, amulets and everything else, I dont really find much allure to struggle when I can mindlessly slaughter through Xaanhal and Tiyen Esityi upper levels. That being said, if maybe we ...(Revamped) the older areas to be on par with the newer areas I would learn and adapt to a new style and standard, but for now, greater reward vs risk in easier areas.
    KerrynEmelle
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I mostly bash in Xaanhal, I know the routine and am not constantly dancing around aggros. Tiyen would be secondary, Bloodwood tertiary due to being more fickle with times.

I've never been to Tcanna, I don't do much with islands as I forget where the ferries are and am reliant on PATH FIND.

I'd probably explore Albedos more if I took the time to find landmarks for PATH FINDING so I can actually get to places and find my way back.

I'm also a fuddy duddy and don't personally enjoy the 'learning areas' bit, as in 'what am I facing, is it full of agros, am I going to cry' before going in. I'm fine dealing with that stuff once I know, but it's more comfortable to stick with what I know.
    AarbrokKerrynAsaraiiEmelle
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I do most of my bashing in Lycan or Syssin, and I struggle hard even with arties in Xaanhal and the other higher-up areas. Tiyen is hit-and-miss. I don't even bother trying the volcano, there's no way in heck I could bash that place...and I've tried several times.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    AarbrokRiluo
  • 1) Where do you enjoy bashing?
    Tiyen, Xaanhal, Fengard, Threerock, Torston, Azdun (spiders)

2) Why do you bash?
    For gold.

3) Why do you not bash [insert areas here]? I only bash areas where I can make about 5k+ gold (unless I can do it very quickly like Torston), otherwise, I'd rather do something else with my time.

4) What bashing areas seem to not be worth the effort? See above.

• KerrynKerryn The Black Flagon Inn
    Xaanhall, Forgotten dome and Tiyen mostly.

I really love instances for bashing. No fighting with others for xp or the disappointment of sipping a chalice and going to an area and find it empty because 6 other people are bashing there, only to head to another area and it be bashed out as well so you go to a lower area because the harder areas kill you and you end up taking away mobs from lower players. Or you just wander the areas you can survive in and try and catch mobs that respawn before the other 6 people do.

2) Why do you bash?
    XP! Mostly to get more levels so I can invest in enhancements. Gold is extra nice as well. I have a cryptic chest addiction, sadly.

A volcano - Oi. Love the xp, but even with all my insane artifacts and having 8500 HP. I die WAY to much to make it worth it, which is really a shame. I know a few other classes have no issue bashing there. But I simply can't do it. Plus, they tend to stack up to like 6 in a room.. many of them are aggro. So a lot of running in and kiting and hoping you don't die and that only one will chase you, but often times you're not that lucky.

Tcanna Island - The fact I have to use a boat to get there. Often I have to go help novices and having to pay to go back and forth add in, I'm impatient to reach novices who may need help. If you die a few times, the cost can add up. (For newer players. I don't know the ratio of gold drops there vs the cost of the ferry back and forth. 250 gold each way though.) I want to move back and forth easily and quickly. I'm spoiled, I readily admit this.

As for Albedos, I have a poor sense of direction. I get lost EASILY and the fact it's SO big and I've no idea where I'm going I think really impedes people. I love the desc's the background of Albedos, but yeah. It's intimidating and extremely frustrating to spend 15-30 minutes wandering lost to find your way out or in for an event.

See #3.

Aarbrok
  • I don't enjoy bashing anywhere. Bashing is by far my least favorite activity in the game. I only bash when I need corpses for something, essence, skills, cures. We all play games to have fun. To me, bashing is incredibly boring. No matter what area you go to, it's always the same. Hit the thing with the same attack over and over till it dies or you die, then find the next thing. Rinse and repeat. After doing this most days for years and years and years, it gets boring. Can only do the same thing so many times before it loses the luster, doesn't matter what rewards come from it. You are playing to have fun. And to me bashing just isn't fun anymore, it's repetitive and a bore and every area is essentially the same.
    Haven
    Currently I enjoy hunting in Nal'jin, Ayhesa, Dome, Xaanhal, Tiyen.

However if we are including areas from other games. Demon's Pass from Imperian. The wave release system and boss fighting system is rewarding and enjoyable. Either turning the bodies in for gold or stripping them for a chance of an item that can summon a boss for a group lets you choose what you wish to do. Having massive areas that release different difficulty of mobs to hunt as you proceed through them and kill 90ish% of the area, is a great way to refresh the area and have less dead time in the area. Also working together to take out bosses that are too tricky to do on your own for temporary items that aide in hunting is amazing.

2) Why do you bash?
    Gold and curatives

Fengard keep, you don't get enough xp to be worth it should you die.
    Bloodwood, aeon and other pesky afflictions I'd rather stay away from.
    Volcano, lots of damage haven't really tried but went there for a lesser once and it was harsh.
    Anywhere outside since its a larger drain on curatives really. However half outside areas are fine you at least have someplace to retreat during noon.

Fenguard I feel is the worst place. And during that stint from 80-90 you don't really get many new areas to hunt indoors. You hunt successfully till you get bad luck with aggro and lose all you just earned plus more.
    KerrynAarbrok
    Xaanhal, it is private so I don't have to rush or worry about other people. I can just barely handle the mobs, with all available buffs and since there is a limited number, I can usually finish it quickly and get back to other stuff.

2) Why do you bash?
    Primarily for divine essence. None of the other gains motivate me enough, though I am glad to have them (gold/haven points).

Any heavy aggro area (Volcano) or heavy hitting mobs (Tcanna) = Can't handle damage and having to tag and run and tag and run. It's not fun. Death isn't so much an issue of losing exp as more a hindrance of time and resources (having to redef). I have no idea how people hunt these areas and assume they're designed for heavily artifact'd people.

Pretty much all of them, to me at least. The focus seems to be tweaking the mob damage, mob aggro, and exp gain for areas and these all seem to never be balanced for a regular player. I enjoy clearing things out without extreme effort or constant risk of dying. I think there needs to be more unique elements to areas to make them more fun aside from them just hitting for 3k+ or ten aggros in a single room. Things like doing a short quest in Volcano (which can have a randomized solution) to bind elementals similar to how we shackle eld would make the whole experience more involved and doable. (That's just an unrefined idea)
    KerrynAarbrokIshin
    Enjoy is kinda suspect but where I do bash is:
    Tiyen, Xaanthal (with lowbies), Forgotten Dome, Bloodwood Spirits, Volcano if others are down, Torsten, Spiral of Corrupt, Snake Pit

2) Why do you bash?
    The main reason is for gold.
    Bashing solo is just rote work to fill the time.
    Besides gold I take low level members of my guild out and help them to get to endgame, I go mostly nuts with this sometimes.... It would be great if there were benefits to bashing together for everyone, other than someone (me) is much stronger and can help someone lower gain levels easier and more efficiently.
    Quests - I bashed the hell out of Bloodwood spirits working on that quest, now I don't do it too much anymore.
    Snake Pit for venom sacs and skins.

Xaanthal - the instanced area doesn't play nicely with my mapper, it annoys me so I only go there with noobs so they can get the good xp without the AOE damage of Tiyen or aggros of Dome.
    Bloodwood Spirits - No gold drops, super annoying defense stripping.
    Tcanna Island - No gold drops, super annoying defense stripping.

Nal'jin - it's a high level area with decent damage output against you, and much lower exp than other areas, the AOE damage also makes it too hard to take low level characters to.
    Fengard - Low exp reward for a huge hassle of an area.
    The Feral Caves - Only exp on the final mob kill? Those things fucking hurt especially once you've gone through a few of them, takes a while to kill and then you get paltry exp gains from it. I'm not even sure if there are gold drops off them because I've gone through like 2 - 3 blobs total before saying screw this place.
    Chapel Gardens - Exp is decent, but pain in the ass to have to hunt down the clerics with all the aggro zombies after you.

These are just the higher level areas, below that it's kind of hit or miss on the character, some people get power bashed and never really see much of any of the areas, other people check out as many as they can. I've killed things in most places but hard to comment at this point on the lower level ones as I don't really play any other characters / bash from lower levels myself.
    KerrynAarbrok
  • 1) As more of a lowbie, I enjoy bashing Mor, Augerweald, Ollin, Lich gardens, Kalydian and so on and so forth.

2) I bash for experience mostly. Gold can be earned in other places.

3) I do not bash Fengard or Ayhesa or the more higher-up areas because I'm simply not strong enough yet.

4) It's difficult to say which are Worth it or not at such a low level. It's more of a bash-till-you-drop deal.

Not too many answers up there, but the reason I did answer was to add in that it really is difficult finding areas that give a good amount of xp during 80-90 lvls. Mor is a great area, which gives good xp, but I know a lot of people will agree that 80-90 is the worse hunting when trying to assend, because the areas are either too tough or don't give good xp. (Not a complaint, since I Believe it's easy enough to assend as is and people do it way too fast. Just a note that there are not really many mid-areas.)
    AarbrokLeau
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited October 2015
    I do not “enjoy bashing” but I will do at least two runs of Xaanthal and Drakuum (for blood) and a quick 500-1000 gold if I need it.

2) Why do you bash?
    Gold mostly which sadly is not generated in many areas anymore.

Bloodwood Spirits as the essence drop is absurd. I can clear it four times and get 1 essence! There is no gold drops either, Volcano and Tcanna Island (same as Trikal stated above)

Anything lower than 75 level required. Then there is the the Volcano. They hit way too hard for me and I have artifacts.

I think we need to increase gold in a few spots and decrease the damage in others with more quick 1000 gold quests, rewards, faction type things that gain you privileges in said areas.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

Aarbrok
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited October 2015
    Xaanhal, the Volcano, Tiyen Esityi, Tcanna Island, primarily. I enjoy areas that are easily accessible (this excludes for example areas like Ia'shal Barrow, although its insane webbing/chasing/tons of aggros is another reason), meaning I can get to and from them quickly. The experience needs to be good for an area to be worthwhile; the Spiral of Corruption, Nal'jin, and Bastion of Illdon are just worse than Xaanhal in terms of xps per mob, and anything that's worse than Xaanhal is just not really worth doing. I enjoy bashing areas where hitting new mobs is easy. If the target nouns are difficult to spell or if there's a huge variety, I might opt for another area instead (Tcanna is great for this as all the mobs are targetable with 'animal'). I enjoy bashing areas where I can learn what rooms has specific mobs. Xaanhal is the best example of this as most mobs don't roam and you can just learn a path and get pretty much all the mobs instead of going back and checking for wandering mobs.

2) Why do you bash?
    I just enjoy it.

I do not bash [insert areas here] because of deliberating afflictions (mainly different forms of web/stun attacks), packs of super aggressive mobs, because [insert areas here] are hard to reach, because mobs frequently strip defenses and sometimes you don't notice and bash without vital class defenses, or because the experience is just subpar to the other areas I hunt in.

In particular, I really, really, really dislike new bashing areas that are implemented with tons of writhe afflictions but don't use the mob_writhe affliction, because I paid a fair bunch of credits for my target dummy (substitution(3)) artifact whose sole purpose is to help deal with writhe afflictions when bashing.

Illdon, Albedos areas, Spiral of Corruption, Nal'jin, Feral Caves, and the Forgotten Dome (because frick those air locks).

EDIT
    I would not bash Tcanna Island if it was not for the translocators because I wouldn't use a ferry to and fro' each time I went bashing. Secretly, I really like having the translocator and everyone else having to use a ferry because it means the island is mostly full of mobs when Tiyen/Volcano/Xaanhal is cleared out.
    KerrynAarbrok
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    I'll be adjusting some things in the coming days that I was unaware of (i.e. there were sixty very, very angry shil'tok in the Ia'shal when the number should be closer to three) along with Dristin who will be adjusting some mob afflictions in Ildon, etc. Keep an eye on changelogs for more updates.

Riluo
  • Okay, for those who are concerned with Illdon, test it out for me as you have time. Let me know what still seems a bit over or underrated via message. No, you aren't annoying me by doing this either - so don't worry if you send me multiple about the area.
    Aarbrok
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Thank you @Hadrak and @Dristin for listening to our feedback and helping adjust an aspect of the game, we appreciate your hard work.
    -When I get out of class this evening I will poke at some bashing areas, but I have about 9 hours of classes ahead of me D:

I am in class right now "Studying" while on the forums.

One suggestion I do want to make ...I suppose its more of an agree with is what @Alexina said about mob_writhe. I think this is a great affliction but I dont think it should be on Primiary mobs in bashing areas, perhaps sticking it to named or more important mobs may be better, especially with things like blackout it can be a real mess.
    Kerryn
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    edited October 2015
    I'll try to add in some of the 80-90 level areas even though they don't apply to me anymore.

Xaanhal (the instance part is great), Tiyen (although I have been avoiding it recently since the entire lower areas got turned into an outdoor area, and because that's where a lot of people go anyway), Ollin, Fengard (I seem to be in a minority here, but there aren't that many aggro mobs, and the ones that strip defs can be avoided. I like that its respawn time is a bit faster than I take to go through it, so even avoiding the def strippers, I won't run out of things to bash if I'm alone there.), Ayhesa,

2) Why do you bash?
    Slices, primarily, but having the gold is nice so that when I want to go on major house updating sprees, I won't be slowed down needing to get more. It's also nice for org credit sales. I also like having area specific rewards that do need some effort beyond a single bashing trip, like the minipet and mount from the Bloodwood.

Volcano - too many aggros
    Feral caves - You kill a blob, it spawns more, and there's no exp for a while and that's assuming you don't get lots of mobs aggro'd on you in the meantime.
    That place under Mournhold - Aggros with blackout are nasty even at endgame levels for someone without lots of artifacts.
    Relovec mansion - Aggros (again)
    Forgotten Dome - I love that the kelki have bladder slices, but it seems like the damage/exp ratios aren't on par with areas like Xaanhal and Tiyen.
    Nal'jin/Spiral - I would probably love these more if all of the mobs had bladder slices.

Bloodwood (after getting the two quests done) - the aeon and def stripping is hard, but I avoid it anyway to give people working on the quest a more fair shot at the essences.
    Ice caverns - The quest isn't hard on its own, but I didn't figure out that it was a bashing area until I was past the difficulty level it seems to be designed for.
    Chapel Garden Zombies - Someone else mentioned the issues with getting the clerics already. I was willing to put up with it for the quest and occasional leylines, but it's definitely not an area I'd consider as a normal bashing spot.
    Shatter vortex - Open PK areas are a big no for me.
    Iernian fracture - Again with the open PK problem, but with the ylem mines, there is even less incentive now.

A final note on Tiyen is that I saw someone suggest once that the lower part get turned into an instance. Just based on what I've seen in this thread, I think there would be lots of rejoicing everywhere. If you look hard enough, you may even get players offer up their firstborn children as thanks for making that a reality.
    Kerryn
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I went back to the Ia'shal Barrow to check it out after the changes, and it just felt like there were too few mobs now. Not only that, but there were some spiders with great xps, then some that offered almost no xps and burst into half a dozen of small spiders. If the Barrow's meant to be a bashing area (and not just an area that showcases part of Albedos), then I feel like it's still too far out the way and not just overall as impressive as the mainstream bashing areas (Xaanhal, Tiyen, Volcano, Tcanna, etc).
  • edited October 2015
    Some lowbie perspective! (lvl 84)

Now:
    - Ayhesa. Non-aggros, decent exp, nice gold drops.
    - Drakuum. Lots of mobs, big areas of non-aggros.
    - Teshen Caldera. Still come here, because it's amazing. Huge area and enormous amount of mobs. Offers less exp, but each kill goes faster, so it actually averages out to be pretty similar to the other two. Also, since all the mobs are non-aggro and non-mobile, it's the easiest place to bash while I'm multitasking on some other tab.
    - Fengard. Don't like it as much, but it's big and generally has mobs around, when the others are depleted.

Past:
    - Lich Gardens, Salma Settlement, Bihrkaen, Mount Heylai. I remember generally comparing percentage gains, along with speed of kills, and these seemed the most efficient to me.

2) Why do you bash?

Exp, right now. Sometimes gold.

See below. Bashing is kind of monotonous, so I want to maximize efficiency and not spend too much time running away from things.

- Hlugnic Labyrinth. Wasn't intuitive how to get in. I meant to ask around, but it slipped my mind since there were so many other alternatives that were upfront.
    - Temple of Ati. I'm probably missing something dumb, but that shadow thing (I'm assuming it scales) still kicks my ass. My level 60 self definitely couldn't handle it either.
    - Dun Fortress. This was way back, but though the recommend level is 45, it seemed a lot harder than those listed at the comparable levels. I remember lots of aggros bunching up and making it tedious to run around.
  • edited October 2015
    Ok.... my turn!!!!

Volcano: I love the challenge behind it and the randomization of agro mobs. Sometimes you have to brave 8 smoke elementals or sometimes you'll get lucky and have the aggros dispersed. Great area.
    Tiyen: Just the vast amount of mobs and the creature gives me a definite challenge. Plus the gold is good.
    Xaanhal: Fair amount of gold for completing the entire instance and the xp is pretty moderate, especially for an instance of roughly 100 mobs.
    Tcanna: XP and pmuch a limitless supply of mobs.
    Spiral of Corruption, Shastaan Warrens: I come here when there's no other areas to bash and I don't feel like bashing the Vortex because the xp is fairly reasonable.
    Forgotten Dome: Yay bladder slices
    And most of all... the most ever beloved Vortex, because the Vortex is just straight fucking awesome. (I lurv you @Dristin)
    Oh... and globes too. Globes are awesome.

2) Why do you bash?
    Quite honestly, its because I'm really good at it. and I thoroughly enjoy it. Though, I wish there were more challenging areas to hunt..... that and I want xp. I primarily hunt places where the xp is worth it. I dont care much for gold or anything else.

Fengard. Arbothia, Feral Caves.... AAAAAAAAAND anything in Albedos

Well, I wont bash Fengard because I just personally hate all the special exits that the area has, because I can never fucking remember where the exits are or what I have to fucking do. I try not to bash Arbothia because the xp amount if just not worth having to fight 15 agro villagers/servants. Yes, I can pmuch 3 shot them all, but the xp is just utter crap. I refuse to hunt Feral Caves because even though its a minor challenge, the xp is also complete and utter garbage, and like stated before, I won't waste my time bashing areas with garbage xp.

Albedos is just terrible in general because I rely on PATH FIND alot and nothing is easy enough to maneuver because Delve is a god damned mind fuck and then I have to deal with Albedos??? Fuck that.

See answer number 3.

Comparitively speaking. unlike everyone else, I rather enjoy the defense strippings, writhe hits, (I dont have dummy artifact and deal just fine with all writhe attacks), mass affliction methods, and aeons because it requires me to watch what I'm doing and learn the attacks of the mobs I'm hitting. I also dont mind the outside bashing areas because of the darkness artifact... except for the noon sun, which is usually when I get fried in the Vortex cause I wasnt paying attention. Overall though, I wish there was a bashing area or two that you could set a difficulty to and it'll send you wave after wave of mobs until you die. similar to Giovelli's but which you set difficulty only... or maybe an SAO kind of bashing area (I like to dream a little). While I know I'm an elitist basher and have tons of artifacts for tankability and survivability, I really don't understand why everyone is afraid of a little challenge like aeons/writhes/etc. This just makes bashing a little more lively instead of just "Hit X".
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Leau
    While Fengard was challenging, Fengard is still my fav bashing spot. Frickin' HUGE, lots of variety, the agro makes you feel smart when you can efficiently handle it, the bounties against the other heroes is cool, did I mention it's huge? While bashing the place when I didn't have endgame, the initial zones would start respawning by the time I finished, and I could just start clearing the place from the beginning.

Now, I enjoy bashing Xaanhal because of flavor and convenience. Only place that universally doesn't punish shapeshifters for their crap physical audit, yet still rewards good XP/gold.

Honorable mention to Forgotten Dome, though I feel like I need to put more time toward learning the quests and finding out all the secrets.

2) Why do you bash?
    XP, gold, and to start RP. I'll bash anything that doesn't destroy me.

3)a Why do you not bash anything lower than 99?
    Not worth the effort at endgame. Too low XP or gold.

3)b Why do you not bash Nal'jin Depths?
    Even if Nal'jin is listed 99, either I'm missing the areas that makes the effort worth it, or the difficulty is misleading because... Arbothia is harder and ranked lower, for example?

3)c Why do you not bash Volcano?
    I bash the fire elementals consistently; they're damage isn't unforgiving and fire is an easy audit to acquire. Getting the asphyxiation audit for smoke elementals, or maybe learning how to use HOLD BREATH, is frustrating. Earth elementals require high blunt audit, so no go on Shapeshifter. Daemons are unforgiving with the agro/stun, high blunt/fire audit requirement, and worth the least XP; you only go because their hearts make them worth extra gold.

3)d Why do you not bash Albedos?
    Took me someone else telling me how to leave Delve through a single, special exit, landmarking that elevator from both Delve/Mine, and then getting lost for a while to find another bashing zone, only to find it's worth about as much as Xaanhal. There's no convenience to this at all.

3)e Why do you not even mention Tiyen?
    Feels always bashed out and upper and lower are completely different areas. Upper Tiyen will only be difficult if you don't have the audit for the one agro with unusually high cut/bleed damage. Lower Tiyen is irritating because I feel like a tool dodging mobs I can't get the audit to fight consistently (I'm looking at you snakes).

Lower Tiyen, with it's numerous mob types, damage sources, and agroes is essentially a smaller Fengard v2.0; the weird damage types are too high for most to overcome though, unlike constructs and chempalas.

Anything not listed means I bash there and don't mind it, or I don't bash there enough to give an opinion.

Places where Poison, Psychic, and Asphyxiation are high damage; they require you to either take up a class that gives you omni damage mitigation (Shaman and Praenomen) or ridiculous survivability (Cabalist, Daru and Monk). The only other way to counter this is to pick up an arti shield and enhance it with one of these resists, and that feels... really lame to me, to spend the credits just to be viable to bash one type of damage, and not expect returns in pvp.

The easiest way to explain my opinion is, 'Does X provide as much XP, gold, difficulty, and convenience as Xaanhal?' That zone is where the bar has been set. If you're not exceeding two of those, I'm not considering the zone.
    I mean, you know, an amount.

• HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    edited October 2015
    Razmael just did a major update to PATH FIND, so it should alleviate some issues people were having in finding their way around any areas with special exits. (i.e. Helba on Albedos) It should prioritize the shortest and quickest route and I believe any bugs that cropped up last night have been squashed.
    @Alexina: I went back to the Ia'shal Barrow to check it out after the changes, and it just felt like there were too few mobs now. Not only that, but there were some spiders with great xps, then some that offered almost no xps and burst into half a dozen of small spiders.
    I'm still adjusting things, but I figured I would fix something that should have been addressed quite a while ago! We're far done from tweaking things yet.

ArekaRiluoAlexina
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    I really enjoy things like the hunter quest IE
    He has been recognized as a Legendary Game Hunter for one season.
    I would love to see a few more of these hunting tasks that require you to go to areas and kill things. Mostly as I like to feel my hunting equates to something like a gold reward and that running around killing set things is more fun that trying to hunt one area.

As I said before I am not a basher per say

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

Trikal
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    I r rusty, but will gives this a stab.

Tiyen Esityi, Xaanhal.

I'm pretty dang vanilla boring because I've been out of it for so long you people are referring to the "Vortex" and "Forgotten Dome" and "Tropicana Island" and I maybe remember reading something in the news during my stalking times but I've never been there.

Also, I enjoy bashing Ollidin, Fengard, and the Ayhesan Cliffs. Nal'jin Depths aren't bad. Why these areas? It's a leisurely stroll through the park to smash some stuff in the face. As long as I don't run out of health elixir, I think it is borderline impossible to die here. You can make marginal amounts of gold to decent gold in these areas if you know what you're doing.

2) Why do you bash?
    Gold and goals. I'm goal-oriented. I might sit down and say, "You know, I'd like to get +5% of the way to the next level today" or "I'd like to make 15k in the next ten minutes." Bashing is one way to do that and have progress. It's reliable, because there is always something to beat up somewhere. Even during the Great Hunt. It might only be worth a tenth of a point, but by golly you can do it.

It's also sometimes a means to questing and exploring. I love questing and exploring. For reals. From "Here go club baby seals" to some elaborate crazy quest with assassinations, infidelity, plundering, pirates, and space aliens culminating in a dance off. More quests please.

The new places seem like they're too risky. I'd like to optimize the risk/reward of my activities. Other areas are flat out too hard. Unless I can luckily string together some annies (Annihilatingly Powerful Critical Hits!) with overkill, I will probably die before the photons of light from my monitor strike my retina and my brain can ever process what just happened. Though to be honest, if I'm going for gold, questing is much faster and reliable, assuming my quests aren't all done. I'll supplement with bashing for a quick couple thousand maybe while waiting for quests to re-pop. But it really is the whole dying in the blink of an eye. Then you have the other end of the spectrum where the area might offer one quick thing that is worth your time so I spend twenty seconds there and then I'm gone. Or worse yet, nothing of value. Nal'jin Depths comes to mind. There is literally nothing of value there for me, but it's a favorite place to hunt because I have to make use of that Exploration Compendium!

Any place I die really dang fast. Any place there is almost zero risk of dying. Because I'll die and not make any gold and lose experience, or there are more efficient ways/places to be getting whatever it is I'm after.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited October 2015
    For Albedos content, it would also be good if those areas were listed in AREAS.

Alternatively, AREAS ALBEDOS.
  • Areka said:

For Albedos content, it would also be good if those areas were listed in AREAS.

Alternatively, AREAS ALBEDOS.

I'll poke around and see if I can get them added to AREAS tomorrow, or figure out the latter with he who shall not be named.
    KagamiAreka
  • edited October 2015

I enjoy many aspects of bashing in general but I enjoy the concept of the slavers in Albedos it has a lot of potential. Although I think it could do with some more fun things like a big scary boss that you need to beat to near death then you get to chain him up in the town square. This would require you collect raw iron from the mines and take it to the blacksmith who will reforge it into a chain etc.

2) Why do you bash?

Honours, gold and I enjoy mini quests that are NOT super complex like that evil tower with its mega hardcore puzzles. I am more into kicking butt.

Bloodwood because the drop rate is silly and I never get any.

I am not a big hitter so it is more the hard places like the volcano as there is to many agro things.

Xaanhal, Tiyen Esityi, Fengard, Lich Gardens, Mamashi Tunnels. I like the gold that I can find there. I like hunting on Tcanna for the challenge but the cost of curatives has no balance because the animals there do not drop any gold. I view it as 'fun but expensive' and only really worth the effort during the great hunt with the MOBS high wander rate you're sure to land some points.

2) Why do you bash?

My sword doesn't argue semantics of good and evil. I like the XP and to keep my place high on the rankings. I may not be the best, but I give my best effort and I am proud of my accomplishments. I also like gold as I use it to purchase credits from my city and guild often to learn new skills, or buy improvements on my artifacts.

3) Why do you not bash [insert areas here]

I don't bash in Arbothia Mansion or the Volcano. I think these places are best left to group hunts as the higher number of aggressive monsters are difficult to handle and the run in and out with the odd attack between drives me a little insane. I would definitely be down to join any group hunts in these areas if anyone is going though.

I don't like bashing anywhere where I get less than 600XP for each MOB I kill.
  • edited October 2015
    My turn nao!

1. Where do you enjoy bashing?

Tiyen, Xaanhal, Fengard, Threerock, Teshen hole, Vortex, and Albedos continent

2. Why do you bash?

The answer is simply because I enjoy grinding to become something stronger then I was before. Without a real issue with who is good or who is evil, bashing is simply gold grinding, and experience. It can get dull when doing it all by your lonesome, but with someone by your side it really perks up when not always taking the blows by yourself! I also consider fishing a sort of 'hobby bashing' with all the fun it has been! ((an its about time for a hobby skill that isn't mercantile)) Some quests devolve into brutality of some group, like the village of dwarves who are enslaved to the vampires. I am 99 and barely getting into the bare bones survival grinding of Xaanhal, and I am having an EASIER time with handling vortex with all the wonderful changes makes it more fun place to hunt!

3. Why do you not bash

I don't bash in Arbothia Mansion, Volcano, Tcana Island, or Bloodwood simply because i am forced into buying more artifacts to handle the damage. Bloodwood mobs even with carnifex full plate was doing 3000 damage per hit, and at 99 that is 2/3rds of my hp's with full defs up for the moment. Arbothia even as a vampire for me right now has about 15 mobs doing about 532-749 damage per hit, and when all 15 aggro that is too much when someone lures them into a big group. I haven't tried too much with tcana island, mainly because of fearing i am way too small size to handle what some mobs throw at you and the lack of a gold grind quest kind of makes me feel a little sad. Volcano is just evil! An that is a good thing of course ^.^

4. What areas don't seem worth the effort?

Obviously? Ones you have never gone to! Simply because there NEW places to learn with lots of DANGERS to figure out! Volcano i have barely scratched the surface of, mainly because i get one shot there. Or playing cabalist, 2 shot with the dangerous elementals, even with L1 healing boosts, I just don't feel strong enough there, most the entrance areas have 2-3 elementals lined up to eat you I can't even handle one. I forget the name, but that one place in albedos where it is eternally night omg scares the jeepers out of me! I wander in the dark an get attacked by something scairy, sometimes its small, sometimes its big its so exciting what you run into and it isn't worth the effort to grind right now because its hard to know when to run and what your doing. Not complaining really, thats the fun of the place I simply am having hard time surviving it! Forgotten domes is in the same boat here, not because its hard to handle, but there is some issues with being unable to shield or run from aggros very far before getting caught or you run into a second aggro trying to heal up. Its an excellent place I plot to go back once i unlock looking sexy an hit 102 see how much better I fare at the mobs.
  • Bloodwood mobs even with carnifex full plate was doing 3000 damage per hit
    That's because they're not doing cutting or blunt damage.... Bloodwood does primarily cold damage, so perhaps look at your audit on that?
  • @Hadrak I'm curious as to what areas you're seeing as overlooked that seem out of place for being overlooked. I also really like the effects this thread seems to have had -- path find for albedos and areas off mainland is pretty great.
    Xenia