Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• Phoenecia said:
    Teani said:
    People taking their sweet time responding to things in the game. It's especially frustrating when you notice said people around every day, and still hear nothing, feeling like it's up to you to push even more.
    This. So much. I find it really frustrating and stupid that some people take forever to decide on something when being prompt is way more important and courteous.

I think this goes for every city/council organization in the game. It seems strange that it continues to happen given that these systems of democracy are in place...
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
  • AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    Things to keep in mind regarding the cities. You have five people who vote on things. Those five people have different schedules, often live in different time zones, sometimes go days without seeing one another and, in most cases, also help lead their guild/house/order/ect. They're very busy people, on top of having their own RP to deal with and their own lives otherwise. You can take it personally if you want, but sometimes things can't be handled via messages/letters. Sometimes they have to be talked about with everyone present. So taking it personally is, very probably, just going to leave a bad taste in your mouth.
    KonnornCiarelleValenae
  • Things being submitted and having approvals two seconds later, when something I've had in the same queue is ignored. 

Really? 

Submitting things and having folks ready to approve it without looking at anything else? Submitting things without even bothering checking approvals? So rude.
    Calipso
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

I disagree, I think you can handle a lot of things through messages, I did when I was Vanguard.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

ValenaeAldric
  • Amara said:
    Things being submitted and having approvals two seconds later, when something I've had in the same queue is ignored. 

Really? 

Submitting things and having folks ready to approve it without looking at anything else? Submitting things without even bothering checking approvals? So rude.

NotSureIfSarcasm ...

But I can't speak for everyone, sometimes I only read one or two at a time because I'm not hunkered down in "CRAFTINGAPPROVAL" mode. It's usually the pop-up notices that remind me I even have a queue to look at.
    imageimage
  • Haydyn said:
    Amara said:
    Things being submitted and having approvals two seconds later, when something I've had in the same queue is ignored. 

Really? 

NotSureIfSarcasm ...

But I can't speak for everyone, sometimes I only read one or two at a time because I'm not hunkered down in "CRAFTINGAPPROVAL" mode. It's usually the pop-up notices that remind me I even have a queue to look at.
    My beef isn't with people who don't remember to approve when they're not doing any crafting of their own, but with people who submit their things, get an immediate approval -somewhere- but none of the other queued items gets so much as a look, indicated by no approval and no rejection. If someone's submitting, they're expecting to BE approved or rejected, it's not really expecting too much to hope they'd do the same courtesy for other crafters - especially if they're obviously lining up approvals for their own things. 

No, it's not sarcasm, and it's a valid thing to be pissy about. 
    ValenaeRivasPiperPerilunaNola
  • edited March 2013
    Things to keep in mind regarding the cities. You have five people who vote on things. Those five people have different schedules, often live in different time zones, sometimes go days without seeing one another and, in most cases, also help lead their guild/house/order/ect. They're very busy people, on top of having their own RP to deal with and their own lives otherwise. You can take it personally if you want, but sometimes things can't be handled via messages/letters. Sometimes they have to be talked about with everyone present. So taking it personally is, very probably, just going to leave a bad taste in your mouth.
    That's typically a sign that the city needs better ways to delegate and work toward varying degrees of problem resolution. Not meaning to be a tool but other than the person simply going inactive there should never be a reason that he/she needs to wait longer than an Aetolian month for an answer. Ever. If there is an issue then the leadership should be figuring out a way to remedy it.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

@Daskalos- I did say sometimes. In this particular case, it was something that all five Heralds wanted to talk in person about, because it was an issue that all of our characters took highly personally. We handle like 95% of Enorian's decisions through messages to the angry little fireball, Daingean.

@Valenae- We'll agree to disagree. I can think of plenty of reasons people might wait a few RL days for things from orgs.
    HaydynNola
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    People who don't know how to mind their own business.
    imageimage
  • @Alistaire There's also the fact that a lot of things that city councils insist on voting over is trivial crap that can be handled by a lowly underling. Not everything has to be run by the Commandant.

This isn't directed at any current occurrance, just something I've noticed across all IRE games.
    LinDaskalosValenae
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Enorian. Just...Enorian. Don't get me wrong. I like the place in general and a few people in it. But sometimes things or people happen that make me want to rip my hair out/strangle someone/bash my brains out on my desk. It makes me wonder why in the hell I joined the damn place and makes me seriously consider leaving. And this happens almost every single time I get to the point of thinking it's not so bad. No wonder people join Duiran instead. >.>
    KiyotanCalipsoIllikaal
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    It wasn't just Enorian not getting back. I get that special requests and ideas require special treatment, but sometimes all this bureaucracy is crazy. Perhaps 5 days aren't that much, I know people who have waited far longer than that for some things. Waiting just feels frustrating is all. That's why I wrote what I did. It was my 'rage'.

@Alistaire: Two game months after the discussion with Alistaire, Teani was told, informally, that a discussion (or something) had been held and that the only one supporting the idea was Phoenecia. But rather than going with that (since it was informal), Teani decided to wait for the official message. When none came, she approached Daingean, again a couple of months later, and he said that the wait was in her favor. Only after me posting something on the forums did a message come from Alistaire with news of the rejection (in case the Vanguard hadn't informed her).

• edited March 2013
    @Alis: I'll point toward the argument I made earlier which is a lot of the cases regarding a vote really don't need to be put to the heralds. It could be left to the Ambassador/Ambassador's aide who can put it to a vote on the city channel. Unless the person has committed some crime against the city or is extremely detrimental to the progression of the goals of the city I don't understand why the heralds beed to discuss lesser entrances, is what I'm getting at. 

@Teani I once had to wait for 3 weeks and it took multiple times of hunting the vanguard down to be told that I was turned down. When I asked the heralds their reason for not letting me in they said it wasn't brought to their attention. After the Vanguard resigned Gepideth admitted me right away. 

Regardless of whether you like someone or not, they still deserve to be adequately communicated with. When I held a similar position in Duiran quite some time ago the policy I tried to stick to was an update msg or a msg communicating that we have a concern and it might be a wait but we were still working on it. You don't have 10-45 seconds to send a message or at least reply someone that's waiting for a pivotal change in their character's life? I find that hard to believe.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Valenae: I understand why my case went to a Herald vote. I see no issues with that.

Just a thought on what a particularly difficult application for citizenship could look like.

1. Herald/Ambassador is approached, get all the details for the case, decides it's a difficult case and informs the applicant it's going to take at least 2 months, but that someone will surely be in touch.
    2. Massmessage is sent to people involved in ruling:
    "Voting issue: A has applied for citizenship, these are the specifics: A has X prior offences to the city, is a member of org Y and has special request, which is Z. This needs to be voted on. You have a maximum of 2 months to approach A, who is available via message when not present, with questions before a decision is made. If you do contact A, please inform me so I know what is going on and can inform A of any delays."

This means that after 2 months go by, people have either:

- voted and you have a result to present.
    - approached A, who then knows something is going on with the application and could understand if it takes a bit longer to sort through the new things gleaned from the answers given.
    - not been present enough to have a say in the matter, and you have a result based on those who have actually been around and voted.

Not sure, but it shouldn't be much more to it than that, should it?

Fenrir
  • Not understanding why something is the way it is. The disappointment over something you hoped for is not going to happen. Being unable to change that.

Here's to trying to come up with an alternate course.
    Teani
  • edited March 2013

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Oh heeey that was in the wrong thread.
    ErzsebetHaydyn
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor

What I am sick off currently is the mass amount of people begging me to do the Ancestral Conversion ritual (undead to vampire rituals) on them. Then asking how to be converted back to undead later down the track. I am not sure how much of an impact it makes on all this TOP HOUSES, but its getting a pain to be asked every time I log on by the same group.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Riluo said:

What I am sick off currently is the mass amount of people begging me to do the Ancestral Conversion ritual (undead to vampire rituals) on them. Then asking how to be converted back to undead later down the track. I am not sure how much of an impact it makes on all this TOP HOUSES, but its getting a pain to be asked every time I log on by the same group.

hmm I will bite....who asked and what group??
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited March 2013

A few people asked me about this just before and I think its better I do not state people’s names OOC, as I like to keep things IC and OOC as separate as possible. Needless to say, it is a dirty move on their part. I know you agreed too when we spoke about it briefly Macavity, and how it just adds to the social anxiety of the game.  However, I will leave it at that, as I will likely deal with them if they do not get the point IG.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

MacavityHaydyn
  • Wait until they find out that there is no going back without taking the cure >_>

RiluoMacavityAldricArbrePeriluna
  • When resetting the system, or whatever it is that happens when people get disconnected and lose all the work they have been doing, could the admin at least try to, if possible, give a bit of warning, so that we -don't- do a lot of work that's lost because of it?

• That looked like a crash, likely caused by that rapier thing.

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    edited March 2013
    rapier thing???

oh my bad!  thanks!  heh
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."

+--------------------------- CHANGELOG ENTRY #335 ----------------------------+
    |  Entered by: Dhar                                Date: 2013/03/10 01:21:24  |
    +--------------------------------- CHANGE ------------------------------------+

New Temporary Artifact: The Rapier of the Master Duelist

Temp. reward for the winner of the bi-yearly Delosian Duel.

- When wielded and POINTed at an enemy, it will teleport the user and
    the victim into an otherworldly two-room arena, leaving them in an
    uninterruptible fight to the death.

- The victim can choose to SURRENDER within the first 40 seconds of
    being brought into the Arena. Such will broadcast a humiliating message
    to the game.

- After two minutes in the Arena, shield tattoos and similar abilities
    will cease to function.

- If the challenger does not succeed in killing his opponent in around
    fifteen minutes, the arena will collapse and kill them, ejecting the
    victim back to safety.

- Does not work in buildings owned by organizations (Cities,
    Guildhalls).

- Can only be used once per three hours.

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Macavity
  • TzaTza
    edited March 2013
    Alistaire said:

[...]

victim back to safety.

[...]

How about killing just the challenger and generating a humiliating message about the challenger to the game? If the victim gets a humiliating message for surrendering, the challenger could get a humiliating message for not being able to kill the opponent. ;)
    HadoryuHavenTeaniHaydynPeriluna
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal

Tza said:
    Alistaire said:

[...]

victim back to safety.

[...]

How about killing just the challenger and generating a humiliating message about the challenger to the game? If the victim gets a humiliating message for surrendering, the challenger could get a humiliating message for not being able to kill the opponent. ;)
    The post reads a bit funny. It only kills the challenger. The victim will emerge unharmed.

The deathsight for it humilating enough I think.
    HavenIllikaalTza
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Newbs asking for help, telling them I can't help them for an hour or so, and then COMPLETELY FORGETTING ABOUT THEM.  I'm so glad Zhalu grabbed the kid, I feel so bad.
    Fenrir
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Alistaire said:

Temp. reward for the winner of the bi-yearly Delosian Duel.

- When wielded and POINTed at an enemy, it will teleport the user and
    the victim into an otherworldly two-room arena, leaving them in an
    uninterruptible fight to the death.

- The victim can choose to SURRENDER within the first 40 seconds of
    being brought into the Arena. Such will broadcast a humiliating message
    to the game.

- After two minutes in the Arena, shield tattoos and similar abilities
    will cease to function.

victim back to safety.

- Does not work in buildings owned by organizations (Cities,
    Guildhalls).

- Can only be used once per three hours.

Too bad it caused the game to crash both times I attempted to use it >.>
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
This discussion has been closed.