Fishing

Comments

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Uhm. Went to do the daily fishing Hagriphim quest (25 fishes from mud waters), and Scidve was fished out. I ask around to see if there's any other mud holes, and everyone just points me to Scidve.

Basically, I want to progress and spend time improving my fishing, but it sort of sucks when your daily quest can't be completed because everyone else went there and I can't wait for hours for the fish to respawn. There might be other places for fishing mud fishes, but I haven't found any yet and the other fishers I talked to didn't know either.

If nothing else, make it possible to ask Hagriphim which areas to go to in order to find the fishes he's looking for. Just the area name, doesn't have to be vnums or anything. Pleeease.
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Alexina said:
    Uhm. Went to do the daily fishing Hagriphim quest (25 fishes from mud waters)
    Check out Ilhavon and the Morgun for muddy waters.

edited September 2015
    Thank you!
    edited September 2015
    So, I didn't complete the quest yesterday so went to get a new one today, except the one from before was still there and now I can't complete it:

The Gulleyes: Holes for Hagriphim:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Level: 0
    Area: the city of Esterport
    Giver: Angler Hagriphim

Hagriphim has asked you to catch twenty-five fish from a specific type of fishing hole. Return to him when you're done!

Objectives:
    [x] Cave fish caught. Progress: 25 / 25
    [ ] Mud fish caught. Progress: 17 / 25

ABANDON QUEST FISHING_HAGRIPHIM if you wish to abandon this quest.

Personal Completions: 3
    Total Completions: 302

Had mud fish yesterday, got cave fish now. I could catch the cave fish, but when I fish in mud, the quest doesn't recognize them as being caught.

Something fishy is going on here.

EDIT:
    Also, I went to both Morgun and Ilhavon to find some mud waters, but either I'm blind or they're really well hidden.
    Some things about fishing is really unintuitive:

Brackish, clammy waters. (Dramedo Warrens.) (17651)
    The stars twinkle in the clear night sky. The bubbling of water alerts you to a prime fishing hole nearby.
    You see exits leading southeast, south, and southwest.

You have recovered balance on all limbs.
    You reel frantically against the fish's bulk, trying to bring it closer to you.
    With a mighty heave, you lift a northern blindflish out of the water.
    Added a northern blindflish to your bucket!
    At 1 lbs. 10 oz., this is the largest catch of a northern blindflish you've had at the Dramedo Warrens!
    This is your new personal worldwide record for a northern blindflish!
    This is the new hole record for a northern blindflish!
    This is the NEW WORLD RECORD for a northern blindflish!
    Experience Gained: 1545 (Quest) [total: 113278829]

The Gulleyes: Holes for Hagriphim:
    Level: 0
    Area: the city of Esterport
    Giver: Angler Hagriphim

Hagriphim has asked you to catch twenty-five fish from a specific type of fishing hole. Return to him when you're done!

Objective:
    [ ] Brackish fish caught. Progress: 0 / 25

ABANDON QUEST FISHING_HAGRIPHIM if you wish to abandon this quest.

Personal Completions: 4
    Total Completions: 318

I'm literally in a room titled 'Brackish, clammy waters', and I can't catch any brackish fish.

I've searched far and wide to find brackish fishing holes, but just can't seem to locate them. Pleeease, make Hagriphim point you towards areas with the sort of fish he's looking for.
    edited September 2015
    @Alexina Are you using FISHING DISCERN to see what type of hole you're fishing out of? Brackish type holes are found in swamps and marshes.

I completely overlooked the 'The river/brackish/shallow waters teem with' part as I always assumed the 'You are standing within the Peshwar Delta/Auresian Marsh/Pachacacha River' would reveal what sort of waters you were fishing. Part of it is because that particular line itself is humongously long:
    The river waters teem with 19 of a silvery minnow, 11 of a river herring, 10 of a white sucker, 14 of a dark brown crayfish, 9 of a bluefin killfish, 4 of a swamp muskie, 9 of a bronze bream, 10 of an oak toad, 7 of a bluegill fish, 3 of a rams-horn snail, a Rahn's Mace crayfish, 4 of a fang-toothed eel, 8 of a rainbow trout, 6 of a freshwater grayling, 12 of a spotted sunfish, 43 of a bighead carp, 4 of a mottled pike, a blueback salmon, 11 of a drab toadfish, an olive-hued walleye, and unfamiliar creatures.

Basically, all you see is x salmon, y toadfish, z eel, etc.

It'd be a lot more distinguishable if the fishing discern was made up something along the lines of:

You carefully investigate the area, looking for details about the fish you might find.
    You are standing within river waters in the Pachacacha River.
    The waters teem with 19 of a silvery minnow, 11 of a river herring, 10 of a white sucker, 14 of a dark brown crayfish, 9 of a bluefin killfish, 4 of a swamp muskie, 9 of a bronze bream, 10 of an oak toad, 7 of a bluegill fish, 3 of a rams-horn snail, a Rahn's Mace crayfish, 4 of a fang-toothed eel, 8 of a rainbow trout, 6 of a freshwater grayling, 12 of a spotted sunfish, 43 of a bighead carp, 4 of a mottled pike, a blueback salmon, 11 of a drab toadfish, an olive-hued walleye, and unfamiliar creatures.

Or, I guess, I could pay more attention.

:(
    I won't disagree--Discern is a little too spammy for my tastes with the glut of fish you'll see in a hole. I'll talk with Oleis and Razmael and see what they think about cleaning it up a little.

Alexina
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited September 2015
    I think I broke Saaik, I havent gotten any quests since rank four and I am maxed out on faction points.

I cant progress for my better rod and I havent unlocked anything else.
    I just realized I probably shouldnt have posted this here as I have bugged it, I am sorry disregard me.
  • I really loved the quest to get Transcendent Fishing, and I'm looking forward to getting rank 5 for the reward. However, in other threads, people have reminded @Oleis of things he said, and so I'd like to ask/remind him about the Fishing Artifacts. I'm curious as to what they would do if they were implemented at least!
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
  • edited October 2015
    Ylem-shard artifact fishing bombs! Who needs a rod when you can let bombs do the fishing! Just add bucket to collect stunned fish?!

Twice a month ((or 5 times per year,)) you toss one into one of the fishing holes and collect an assortment of stunned fish into your bucket!

Why artifact? Because non-arti fishing bombs tossed into the fishing hole will completely scare away the fish from the hole and prolong the reset timer for fish to come back by 15 minutes, but the arti one will protect against scaring away most of the fish! The timer on the Arti bombs can be set to an upgradable tier from 10m, to 8m, down to 5m with timer tier upgrades done to the artifact
    edited October 2015
    It feels sort of weird that the higher my fishing rank is (and the better rod I'm using), the less fish I actually catch. I've been varying my 'fishing lead' too, trying to get the fish's endurance down to halfway, and all the way down to red, but it's still the same -- I catch way less fish with my Master Gulleye's Rod than I did with my bamboo rod.

EDIT:
    Just to give an example:

queue bal fishing reel
    Line: [ /////////-- ] Fish: [ =--------- ] Distance: [ +---------- ]
    Balance Used: 1.86 seconds
    H:7803 M:6063 E:30885 W:25065 B:100% XP:43% [e-]
    You will execute the following command when you recover balance next: fishing reel
    H:7803 M:6063 E:30885 W:25065 B:100% XP:43% [e-]
    queue bal fishing reel
    The creature at the other end of your line gives a mighty jerk, snapping its tether and leaving you with an empty pole.
    Balance Used: 1.86 seconds

The fish is at minimum endurance, the lowest distance, and the line has two 'units' left before snapping, and still the fish gets away. It just feels like the displays are off and it's super annoying to try and fish and randomly just lose your catch even though you've got some line left.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Also I keep trying every command possible and even prayers of foodful benediction but I can't seem to eat the fish raw.
    Kerryn
    @Alexina - @Eleanor and I have been having the same problems, you dont catch any fish at the top rank hardly, so both of us have opted to use the other poles because it seems like there is a bug in there that is preventing the best rod from being any kind of effective.

I have stopped fishing until it gets fixed because I fished for 4-5 hours the other day and couldnt even get 100 fish, definitely needs to be looked into, I have bugged it myself I believe
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    The Master Gulleye's rod gives access to fish that are a lot heavier than all the rod's fish. It's possible the fishing formula isn't scaling well with fish that are over 1000 ounces, so I'll run some numbers and see if I can figure out what's going on.
    Alexina
    Awesome, thank you @Razmael - I figured it was something weird, it just seemed super low.
    <3 for looking into it.
    edited October 2015
    Razmael said:

The Master Gulleye's rod gives access to fish that are a lot heavier than all the rod's fish. It's possible the fishing formula isn't scaling well with fish that are over 1000 ounces, so I'll run some numbers and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Hrm. It's a bit of a wonky design that the best rod is actually the worst for fishing. When turning in buckets, all that Hob cares about is how many fish is in it, which means that the Gulleye's is inferior to all the other ones for helping raise your fishing rank (since a lot of the heavy fish is going to get away compared to just fishing with oaken rod). I think I was at about 40% catch rate with Gulleye's rod yesterday in Ice and Sea waters, compared to 100% with an oaken rod today in rivers.

How about when you hand a bucket in, you get one extra faction point for a fish above 1000 ounces, another extra faction point for a fish at 1500 ounces, and yet another for fish above 2000 ounces? This would make it worthwhile to fish for the bigger fishes, particularly since bigger fish seem to pay more in gold as well (unless I'm just imagining stuff).

Also! I'd like to imagine that sometimes when you reel a fish, it doesn't get much closer to you, and sometimes, it gets a fair bit closer to you. If this is the case, you should consider replacing the 'You reel frantically against the fish's bulk, trying to bring it closer to you'-message with messages that corresponds to how much closer the fish is getting. 'You struggle against the fish's bulk and can't get it any closer' vs 'You manage to reel in the fish much closer to you' or something such. Unless I'm mistaken and each reel brings the fish the same distance closer to you.

edited October 2015
    Something seems a bit buggy with not being able to fish in an area:

You carefully investigate the area, looking for details about the fish you might find.
    You are standing within Alaqsii Inlet.
    The icy waters teem with 10 of an arctic char, a northern pike, 9 of a king salmon, an alaqsii lamprey, 7 of a broad whitefish, and a rainbow trout.
    You sense that you will be unable to catch any of the fish that remain here. Your Fishing ability is not yet advanced enough!
    You have fished here before.
    Equilibrium Used: 1.86 seconds

You are wielding:
    Left hand : a Master Gulleye's Rod.

Fishing 100% ######################### Transcendent
  • I've been doing a ton of fishing, and although I've also noticed that you catch less with the Master Gulleye's rod, I rather like it how it is- if you want to fill a bucket with fish fast, the ilmenite still works well enough. The Gulleye's rod seems to be for catching the very big ocean fish, which are worth more to Hob than the others. Not in faction points, but in gold. Catching these big fish is a very cool thing (I'm still delighted with my 1700 pounder!) and if it's made too easy, the fun of it would diminish.

That being said, it seems a bit weird in ice and rivers (non-oceans with mid-sized fish) and the messages can indeed be a bit confusing, esp. the difference between a fish struggling madly and wearily. I'm not really noticing any difference in how hard a fish pulls between those states, seen weary fishes pull 2 ticks of tension at once pretty often.
    Aarbrok
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    FISH HAS BECOME ENRAGED

Phendegwyn: Wipe!!!
    Aarbrok
  • Aishia said:

Also I keep trying every command possible and even prayers of foodful benediction but I can't seem to eat the fish raw.

IshinAishia
  • NalorNalor UK
    edited October 2015
    Any chance to making gmcp.Room.Infp.details say what type of hole it is? Then it'll save using fishing discern in every hole to make sure it's the right one.

People have said it'll be same hole per area but, For them which are not it'll be easier to see.

(posted this also in the gmcp section as didnt realise a fishing topic was about, sorry))
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
    Nalor said:

Any chance to making gmcp.Room.Infp.details say what type of hole it is? Then it'll save using fishing discern in every hole to make sure it's the right one.

This is not currently planned.

• Thanks! I just thought to ask

Also, how do you check the world records? I keep getting NEW WORLD RECORDS but can't find how to see what other world records are around. Or, Can we get that function if not already?
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
  • Is there still a clan for fishing floating around? I'm just recently getting into it as a new player.
    I will say, the scroll is a bit lacking in information. It doesn't even mention who to turn the bucket in to, which took me a bit to figure out. All in all I rather enjoy the system, it just feels so bare bones for it having been out for so long, which is sad. :(
  • I've been over waters of every fishing area I know I can fish, there are NO red snappers ANYWHERE. I can fish in all waters but ice waters and sea waters: So.. either Saaik needs to stop asking me for Red Snappers because they are not found in any waters but ice or sea waters, or Red Snappers are not spawning anywhere. I noticed earlier in the thread that they were noted to spawn in cave waters. I fished out three cave locations without finding a single one.

Can anyone illuminate me as to where the crap all the Red Snappers have gone?

(and please, I'm at a point of frustration where I'm not wanting silly answers. I want seriousness in this. It's frustrating how quickly people jump to silliness or sarcasm when you genuinely ask for help after spending 2+ hours on trying to find one stupid fish.)
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Xandren said:

I've been over waters of every fishing area I know I can fish, there are NO red snappers ANYWHERE. I can fish in all waters but ice waters and sea waters: So.. either Saaik needs to stop asking me for Red Snappers because they are not found in any waters but ice or sea waters, or Red Snappers are not spawning anywhere. I noticed earlier in the thread that they were noted to spawn in cave waters. I fished out three cave locations without finding a single one.

Can anyone illuminate me as to where the crap all the Red Snappers have gone?

(and please, I'm at a point of frustration where I'm not wanting silly answers. I want seriousness in this. It's frustrating how quickly people jump to silliness or sarcasm when you genuinely ask for help after spending 2+ hours on trying to find one stupid fish.)

Results for 'snapper':
    The Beryl Sea (a red snapper)
    Shallows of the Beryl Sea (a red snapper)
    Beryl Sea near Raim (a red snapper)
    Ocean near Ollin (a red snapper)
    The Tasur'ke Sea (a red snapper)
    The Western Ocean (a red snapper)

I've had decent results in all of those areas.

• @Solaria

What kind of waters are those? Are they Sea-type waters?
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Xandren said:

@Solaria

What kind of waters are those? Are they Sea-type waters?

Most are sea, one is shallows.

• @godmin

I just got the Gulleyes rod. I'm noticing that fishing has gone from possible with a lot of leading with the Ilmenite rod.. to losing almost every fish of large-to-decent size there. And in trying every method I can with leading and reeling, I've come to an idea.

@Razmael @fishingcelani

If FISHING LEAD is going to cost us distance... why not let it ALSO reduce TENSION? By adding in a method to REDUCE tension. You basically can basically leave the difference in rods as "how big a fish this rod can catch" (since a 500 lb shark can only be caught by a Gulleyes rod AND the arti rod apparently), AND it can also affect how fast tension builds which makes the game of leading-and-reeling a lot easier with higher-ranked rods. Or harder if you really want to go the opposite route.