Fishing

It's here, it's here--it's finally here.
ANNOUNCE NEWS #2426
Date: 7/14/2015 at 3:23
To : Everyone
Subj: Fishing!

Having heard of the success of a fledging city, the Gulleyes, master
fisherfolk of Sapience, have journeyed to Esterport to spread their
craft and sell their wares. With the payment of a small fee, adventurers
from around the continent may study the art and sport of Fishing, which
can only be perfected with significant practice.

While newcomers to the activity may only use bamboo poles in the ocean
shallows and muddy waters of Sapience, careful practice will open new
opportunities and fishing poles to the eager fisherperson. Seek out the
Master Gulleyes to get started!
9.8.1 Fishing

Inspired and taught by the Gulleyes of Esterport, Aetolians everywhere may try their hands at the sport of fishing in the many watery patches of Sapience. While not every area of water is home to fish, most do have creatures living below the surface.

To begin fishing, one must purchase a fishing license from the Gulleyes of Esterport for 100cr. Unlike traditional skills, Fishing is not learned with lessons -- one must simply learn by doing! Armed with a bamboo pole, newcomers to the sport are able to fish for smaller creatures in ocean shallows and muddy waters. With each successful catch, fisherman edge closer to the next rank in the skill. To reach the Skilled, Fabled, and Transcendent levels (and gain mastery of more capable fishing poles), fisherfolk will need to earn the respect of master Gulleyes by completing special quests.

Fishing rods and buckets can obtained from Angler Hagriphim in Esterport, at the end of the pier.

The mechanics of fishing are relatively simple. One may use the FISHING command to see all the possible commands. First, you must find a fishing hole. Look around bodies of water until you find a fishing hole and use FISHING DISCERN to get more information about it. Once you've CAST your line, you must carefully balance the tension of your fishing line and the stamina of the fish while trying to REEL it closer to you. REELing lessens the distance between you and the fish while tiring it out, but can increase the tension on the line quite a bit. Should the line pull too tight, it will snap, and your aquatic prize will burble away. To avoid straining the line while attempting to tire out your foe, you may LEAD it in the water.

Every catch is tracked with the Gulleyes' office, which meticulously maintains records for each fisherperson, each fishing hole, and global catches for each type of fish. You may discover that you are among the first to catch a particularly rare fish!
With the Gulleyes as our first faction released to the public and Fishing as our first skill of its kind, we'll be keeping an even closer eye on things (darn bugs!) and seeing how you folks like it. Hats off to @Oleis and @Razmael for busting their butts on this. We hope you enjoy the rewards from the Gulleyes and Fishing itself!

ArekaLimSerriceAarbrokAryanneEmelleTrigru

Comments

• AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    So far, loving it...and thank you for letting me break things a bit >.>
  • Feeling a bit dumb, after about a hour of wandering around checking every beach, pier and shallow I could think of, I still haven't found where they expect you to first fish at.

You'd think the beach right next to where you learn, but I can't catch anything there even if I can cast. It says I don't have the skill.

I'm probably missing the obvious though.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Try v3416
  • Rocky shallows.
    The bubbling of water alerts you to a prime fishing hole nearby.
    You see exits leading north, south, and northwest.
    H:4085 M:4402 E:99% W:106% B:100% Mad:30% XP:62% [eb]
    You carefully investigate the area, looking for details about the fish you might find.
    You are standing within Shallows of the Beryl Sea.
    The shallow waters teem with unfamiliar creatures.
    You sense that you will be unable to catch any of the fish that remain here. Your Fishing ability is
    not yet advanced enough!
    You have not fished here before.
    This is what I saw the first two times I went there. Tried casting and letting it bob for about 8 or 9 messages each time.

Worked the third time though?
    Areas can get fished out, there are Shallows in Libec Cay, the rocky shallows area outside Riparium and in Kornar that I have found, you really get to kinda explore and find new places which is kinda fun, at least for me it is!
  • edited July 2015
    As an aside, if you find a body of water that should probably be a fishing hole and isn't, you can bug it post here. Please include the room name and map vnum for the room, and the area!
  • Will there be Fisher Rankings, too? Or a list of who holds which record? You know, it's more fun if it's a competion.
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Reva said:

Will there be Fisher Rankings, too? Or a list of who holds which record?

There will be!

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Looking forward to getting home this evening and testing this out.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    You use Fishing (tick).
    The fish tugs wearily against your line.
    Line: [ ///////---- ] Fish: [ =--------- ] Distance: [ +---------- ]
    [H:6237(100%)|M:5997(100%)|B:0|E:100%|W:99%|XP:39.7%|E:170%|Md:0%] [Hsdb eb]
    You use Fishing Reel.
    You reel frantically against the fish's bulk, trying to bring it closer to you.
    You use Fishing Catch.
    With a mighty heave, you lift a lobster out of the water.
    Added a lobster to your bucket!
    At 1 lbs. 6 oz., this is the largest catch of a lobster you've had at libeccay!
    This is your new personal worldwide record for a lobster!
    This falls below the hole record by 6 oz.
    This falls below the world record by 2 lbs. 4 oz.

It is pretty cool, and whoever designed the prompt for it, I absolutely think it is fantastic!
    @Obyn - I did submit a bug for Tasur'ke and the surrounding areas since it is a rather large body of water with some areas that could be used as shallows as well for some younger fishers. Thank you for letting me know, I was uncertain if that would be an option to submit fishing holes.
    Riluo
    Aarbrok said:

It is pretty cool, and whoever designed the prompt for it, I absolutely think it is fantastic!

That's the work of @Oleis. :smile:

Aarbrok
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    edited July 2015
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #2426
    Date: 7/14/2015 at 3:23
    To : Everyone
    Subj: Fishing!

Having heard of the success of a fledging city, the Gulleyes, master
    fisherfolk of Sapience, have journeyed to Esterport to spread their
    craft and sell their wares. With the payment ofa small fee a princely sum,
    adventurers from around the continent may study the art and sport of Fishing,
    which can only be perfected with significant practice.

While newcomers to the activity may only use bamboo poles in the ocean
    shallows and muddy waters of Sapience, careful practice will open new
    opportunities and fishing poles to the eager fisherperson. Seek out the
    Master Gulleyes to get started!
    Fixed it for ya. 100 credits + 5000 gold is... not a small fee. I understand the need to generate revenue from the game, but don't get my hopes up saying it is a small fee when it's 100 credits. I can't even get the few credits remaining that I need apparently unless I purchase from the website, and I don't have $$$ to do that. Or trade in stuff, but I've traded in everything I don't consider a complete loss from trading in. So no fishing for me.

I really hate to be 'that guy' that whines and complains at a shiny new thing that would appear to be unappreciative and disrespectful towards the hard work of those that completed it, but the announce post is, in my opinion, misleading. Hopefully fishing absolutely blows my mind and I forget about the 100 credits once I get it.

Edit: It has blown my mind.
    Trager
    I would look at it more as a Talent, which are all 60-80 credits right now, save this one has daily quests and will be able to generate other revenue. So it is 20 credits more with a direct application to generate gold and recognition and whatever new cool things arise with the first functioning faction.

Are you not able to procure gold or credits in game? No organizations you belong to running credit sales? Hunting and the credit market?
    edited July 2015
    Areka said:

I would look at it more as a Talent, which are all 60-80 credits right now, save this one has daily quests and will be able to generate other revenue. So it is 20 credits more with a direct application to generate gold and recognition and whatever new cool things arise with the first functioning faction.

Are you not able to procure gold or credits in game? No organizations you belong to running credit sales? Hunting and the credit market?

Not sure if Duiran or the Sentaari are running credit sales. Credit market has 1 credit for sale at 64999. Or did at the time of posting. Have the gold, credits are just unavailable. That's fine that it's got all those applications for generating more revenue and whatnot. The cost itself doesn't even bother me that tremendously, because I see how a theoretical gold sink is good for the game, and I expect there to be fishing artifacts that do this or that to further sink more monies away and generate credit sales. But saying it is a small fee in the announce post is blatantly false. Going with the 100 credit package off the website, thats $39.99. Nowhere near a small fee. That's all.

#Worth
    Advertise on Market that you are looking for credits? See if anyone is selling on Frontline?
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Yeah, was super excited and then saw 100 cr fee (!). I guess it might drive credit sales.

• So what do you do with the buckets full of fish? I've just been leaving them in random NPCs because there doesn't seem to be any clear use for them.
    I've just been putting full ones in my pack, I assume we'll be able to redeem fish for some tally or sell them or use them in crafting (cache maybe?) or something.
    I would love to be able to use the fish or have a fishcache of some sort, but I have just been dropping buckets on random NPC's and getting new ones myself too.... since there is no other use for the fish
  • I'd like to release fish back, sell the fish, or remove the fish from the bucket as actual items which can be used for cooking and slapping people with.

There are some rooms that describe water bodies but aren't actually water bodies. Room find 'spring' to find some of them. Can we bug these?

At lower levels, fishing is too easy where you only need to spam FISHING REEL, without any use of FISHING LEAD. This makes it a grind and unstimulating. Perhaps we could be made to use FISHING LEAD more.

More noticeable super critical yanks (e.g. yanking the fish half across the bar), please!
    ArekaTrikalEmelleXenia
  • Is there a reason I can't learn fishing to skilled -- Wooden?
    I'm 1 lesson short and when catching a fish I get the following message:
    You are unable to advance without the help of the Gulleyes.
    However trying to get help from Gulleyes folks results in:
    You greet Angler Hagriphim with a sincere smile.

With a snort, Angler Hagriphim says, "Come back when you're more seasoned, pup. If you need a rod and bucket, check the sloop."

Angler Hagriphim gently tugs on his line before slackening it once again. "It'll cost you some gold, of course. We're not a charity," he rumbles.
    You say, "Teach."

Saaik says, "I have nothing further to teach you for now. Come back when you have a bit of experience with fishing."
    I can't find anyone else for the Gulleyes faction.... Would be nice to know if I just need to keep looking or if this isn't quite implemented yet.
    Areka
    edited July 2015
    Trikal said:

You are unable to advance without the help of the Gulleyes.
    I can't find anyone else for the Gulleyes faction.... Would be nice to know if I just need to keep looking or if this isn't quite implemented yet.

@Trikal -- do the daily challenge from Saaik until you hit the next rank up with the Gulleyes. It'll open up the skill more and offer new items for you.

• edited July 2015
    Hadrak said:

@Trikal -- do the daily challenge from Saaik until you hit the next rank up with the Gulleyes. It'll open up the skill more and offer new items for you.

So I can't advance for another 9 real days....? :'( I guess I'll just not fish much for the next week and a half unless / until some other reason to fish is added, like being able to sell 'em. At least I know there's not some other guy I needed to find to do it.
    Trikal said:

Hadrak said:

So I can't advance for another 9 real days....? :'( I guess I'll just not fish much for the next week and a half unless / until some other reason to fish is added, like being able to sell 'em. At least I know there's not some other guy I needed to find to do it.
    Bummer.
    Trikal said:

We're looking into the bucket situation after solving some rather agonizing bugs with them. Expect something in the next two days in regards to the FISHING RANKS and finding a use for all those poor fish you've caught.

RevaRiluoDidi
    edited July 2015
    Rocky shallows (3416) - the Isle of Delos (15)
    The stars glimmer down, broken only upon occasion by thin wisps of clouds. The sandy floor
    of the water in the cove is littered with small, smooth rocks. Incoming waves break against
    the rocky outcropping and expend their energy before reaching this point. The water rises
    and falls in a slow, undulating motion as the waves head for the shore. Undulating amid the
    gentle current of the water, a striped sea krait is here. The bubbling of water alerts you to a
    prime fishing hole nearby. You see exits leading north, south, and northwest.
    >fishing cast
    You are not wielding a fishing pole.
    >i
    You are wielding:
    Left hand : Nothing.
    Right hand: a bamboo fishing pole.

Riiiiight.

>fishing discern
    You carefully investigate the area, looking for details about the fish you might find.
    You are standing within Shallows of the Beryl Sea.
    The shallow waters teem with unfamiliar creatures.
    You have not fished here before.
    Equilibrium Used: 2.00 seconds

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Do I need bait? How do I even bait my delightful bamboo pole that isn't a pole?

EDIT: Figured it out. Only left handed people can fish. I've bugged it.

EDIT TO NOT DOUBLE POST:

You reel frantically against the fish's bulk, trying to bring it closer to you.
    With a mighty heave, you lift a blue-green anchovy out of the water.
    Added a blue-green anchovy to your bucket!
    At 3 oz., this is the largest catch of a blue-green anchovy you've had at Shallows near
    Kornar!
    This is your new personal worldwide record for a blue-green anchovy!
    This is the new hole record for a blue-green anchovy!
    This is the NEW WORLD RECORD for a blue-green anchovy!

Cowabunga, dude.
  • edited July 2015
    When I made my previous post, I underestimated the enthusiasm some of you would have for suggesting new hole locations. Please post them here in this thread rather than bugging them, we're getting pretty swamped!

Edit: Doing so will keep them from putting me back in the cage. I don't want to go back in the cage :(
    Ishin
  • TozToz
    edited July 2015
    Obyn said:

When I made my previous post, I underestimated the enthusiasm some of you would have for suggesting new hole locations.

Giggity.

On a more serious note, keeping an eye on stuff here! I love fishing in Achaea, and if it winds up being worth the pretty hefty investment cost, I'll for sure snag it here too.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Lim
  • v13114 in Mostyn would probably be a good one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."