Weather Weather Everywhere

edited June 2015 in Idea Box
It finally happened....An so far I am impressed by the changes done! However there is still quite a few things would really love to see with environmental effects.

-Weather storms create mud puddles in outdoor areas. Great to get people wet an dirty on pathing routes, mud puddles can have creatures inside them latch onto bodies of PC's roaming about in storms

-Fighting in one's opposite element reduces the overall power someone can draw from guild skills. For example trying to cast fire spells/illumination in the middle of a heavy rainstorm. A sciomancer trying to cast storm-hammer in a lightning storm has chance to shock himself since he is getting wet.

-Fighting in one's proper element improves the power of attacks. For example Necromancer's Gravechill can call upon more damage when fighting in cold environs. A sciomancer trying to cast storm-hammer in a lightning storm has chance not only shock himself for getting wet, but also hit people much harder in process.

-The very environment the Tornadoes touch down in change the element of the storm. A twister touches down in watery environments draws in absurd elemental water becoming a lightning storm twister, but touching down in the desert changes its element to earth turning into a dust storm twister

-With the implementation of being hot and sweaty verse cold and freezing having its first implementations. I really would love to see new side-effects which cannot be simply cured by being out of the environment. Living mortals react to these effects like sickness or disease that take time to get over. Undead on other hand have to handle having a suitable body for all kinds of small creatures trying to make a home inside their cadaver.

-Living mortals can become sick if they stay out in the rain for a long time. While Undead caught out in the rain can indispose them as plants(like anise seeds) can get caught up in their bodies and begin to try an grow in their bodies/picking up UN-wanted flying beetles, flies, and maggots trying to find a warm wet body to procreate inside. In a hot swealtery desert. A mortal an over-heat, sweat and pass out from dehydration, losing blood and energy as they thirst for water. An undead/vampire in a hot environs is also affected by loss the of blood and they begin to rapidly decaying of their own zombie flesh. Blood-flies and maggots will try to leech into their bodies to create more of themselves inside of you, attracted to warm wet environments.

-For every created environment in the future with the new weather. I believe gods and sometimes players should be able to manipulate what the storm end up becoming. I personally do wish that as the weather begins to turn heavy, it reduces the effects of the sun on vampires. Meaning that the sun can be BLOCKED out in the middle of a massive rainstorm, while minor light storms simply protects against being set on fire ((you shouldn't be caught on fire in middle of rain for example, rain protects you))

-I also REALLY hope for the creation of unique weather types specific to the mud. Like Eldridge chaos storms batter the lands raining bolts of pure magic inflicting spell diseases. The influence of Super storms which can wreck havoc across the entire sapience when it build up too much to work for good or for ill effect. The jester of chaos Eerion takes advantage of Hail to create a 'knife storm' made from pure ice shaped like daggers falls upon the lands, can out-right kill if one lands on yer skull!

-Fogs and weather mists that creep up and can get so thick into cities and mask the exists into and out of a room can mask you're scents/grant greater hiding.

What would you all like to see come out of the weathering system?
Didi

Comments

• I like the weather and day/night changes so far. It adds a greater sense of realism and immersion to the game.

I enjoyed all the ideas above that help pay greater attention to detail.

The only thing I'd caution against is having effects that affect combat significantly. Reason being, I'm told that in Imperian, there is a weather system that actually gives significant effects, forcing people to code into their systems automatic dressing/undressing. That sounds like taking things to far, where the effects would add a layer of hassle where the hassle outweighs the fun.

More cosmetic stuff would be great.
    IshinAryanne
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Lim said:

Reason being, I'm told that in Imperian, there is a weather system that actually gives significant effects, forcing people to code into their systems automatic dressing/undressing. That sounds like taking things to far, where the effects would add a layer of hassle where the hassle outweighs the fun.

That one is news to me. Maybe some name confusion. But either way, your point is a solid one.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • I am excited for the new artifact potential of this development as well! I can imagine more "not-for-fighters" artifacts, which are always good to get us non-combatants paying for the fun we have here!

• edited June 2015
    All valid points :)

However beating the weather in Imperian wasn't very complex without artis, if you had the artifacts symbols you sew into clothing with cold/heat protection layers. I used to run around in underwear had both sewn in an wore nothing but underwear. Just replaced undies I sewn the symbol layers into when they rotted, 70% of the important weather effects were nullified. And NOW with the new arti races, certain race are out-right immune to certain weather conditions. Yetis breathe in cold and resist freezing due to fur but burn easily, The lava men are just the opposite with high heat resistance an cold vulnerability. The Dryads have a smattering of heat and cold resistance but slow down in winter months.

The only ones you really couldn't protect against or prepare for were those major catastrophes....YOU know, when an city gets flooded...mud-slides topple several homes and paths used for roads. Massive fire storms come from crazy ass ritual hippies trying to sink New Jersey. An yes, every mud has its hellish place that somehow feels like New Jersey! Or big events based around their dead gods!

Kind of like having lunar medallion in Aet here for vampires reduce sun damage and protect against spontaneous combustion! Although now those 4 minutes at noon time make the lunar medallion worthless when you kinda...EXPLODE! *laughs*

I really am excited an can't wait to see what kinda sup-prize we will be in store for! Slowing down the year and the time changes makes me wonder if everyone's birthdays got changed because of this too! I'm crossing my fingers for a double rainbow ;)
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited June 2015
    @Oleis @razmael Love this new change it is a nice touch.

I have noticed however that unless you are outside you can not tell when the sun is going to rise, when noon is approaching, when the sunsets or it is approaching midnight. Is it therefore possible to please do something for the Vampires to sense these stages approaching. For example (and yes they are bad examples):
    Sunset: ^As the last rays of the sun retreat across the surface of the land the ancient hunger within awakens your senses.$

Sunrise: ^Piercing through the darkness the first rays of the rising sun causes you to pause for the briefest of moments.$

Approaching noon: ^A sharp pain courses across the surface of your icy skin as you sense the sun reach its apex.$

Approaching midnight: ^Waves of increasing fury batters against your mind driving you into a heightened sense of hunger.$
    Perhaps have the approaching noon/midnight line happen 2mins before and the sunrise/sunset 5mins.

The reason this is being asked is because Bloodloch is beneath the earth and we mostly hunt rp etc in caves, mines caverns.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

AryanneSaritaAngwePypo
  • Riluo or Zsadist also mentioned that it's weird that a vampire can shiver from cold weather while burning under the Sun.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Shock'll do strange things to you!
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    Yeah that was Zsadist, he was talking about that and how odd it was. It is kind of odd to be shivering whilst in the sunlight on fire!!

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100724212055AAZhCyU

Clearly, Zsadist is either dehydrated or has heatstroke.

AarbrokRiluoArekaAryanneIsande
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Serrice said:

Clearly, Zsadist is either dehydrated or has heatstroke.

EmelleAldricAarbrokRiluoIsandeIshin
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I had a bit more of a fried ice cream sort of effect in mind, personally.
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    So one thing I've noticed is that the number of outdoor rooms was increased in certain areas, but not all of the rooms that got flagged as outdoors really fit that. Is there any preferred way of listing all the ones that should be switched back?
    Riluo
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    Lim said:

Riluo or Zsadist also mentioned that it's weird that a vampire can shiver from cold weather while burning under the Sun.

Think of it as an allergic reaction. Now if you get set on fire by the sun, then you'll be toasty warm.
    Riluo
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    It's radiation burns!
  • I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the near-spam of constant dripping everywhere or teeth clattering. That aside, it was decidedly odd seeing the message about Yeras' hair dripping as he stood nearby.
    ..His char is bald. We both got a slight tic from it.
    (Web): You say, "I know there's something I'm forgetting.."
    (Web): Sevaan says, "You forgot to border the letter with macaroni art?"
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    I think the weather is pretty kick ass.

That's not the reason I commented. @Isande, every single time you post, I stop and bobble my head with the googly eyes.

XeniaIsande
  • @Mariena It's mesmerizing, isn't it? I just get a kick out of how serious and emo he looks before slipping it on. As someone with cats and a tiny dog, I love yours and the one @Aishia has!

To enhance a little on what I posted before, I think the messages could be more general, like someone can be dripping everywhere but leavr out personal physical details like hair, and/or possibly substitute paws for hands for certain races when chafing them against the cold, etc. (Hrm, that reminds me.. do Kelki have hair?) Doesn't seem unreasonable when you consider how some of the sleeping/dreaming messages have racial tags, like mentioning an Atavian's wings.

Also, I dunno about y'all but despite all the stuff Isande wears- cloak, uniform (though also switched to wearing separate pants and shirt for mourning lately), boots, belt, armor and all the accoutrements, even a sweater now- she's still shaking like a leaf, even in areas like Three Rock Outpost which seems like a pretty nice little valley. WHAT DO.
    (Web): You say, "I know there's something I'm forgetting.."
    (Web): Sevaan says, "You forgot to border the letter with macaroni art?"
    IshinEmellePypo