Should guards be toned down?

124»

Comments

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    What you can expect when you remove guards:
    1. No more raiding in the traditional sense
    2. No one hiding behind guards
    3. People need to be more vigilant about entering private areas or be prepared for consequences of it
    4. Potential for increased tresspassing (not an issue if you don't care)
    5. Increased interaction from opposing sides (can be problematic if you do care)
    6. Lower costs
    7. Potential for some mobs to get slain or fights to break out. Not frequent in my experience
    I may need to reevaluate guard power. I didn't realize in August that the active player buff was removed from complacency. Idk if anyone has done a real raid since then, but it might be more viable.
    Ishin
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    I... have actually wished Duiran didn't have guards. They kinda don't make sense there. But I'm kinda more... aggressive? Than the average Duirani, and I know this, so there were a lot of thoughts I had that I didn't act on.
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited May 2015
    @Angwe walked the walk along with his talk. And you know, it affected me a lot more than others who were just talk (prob a bit too much when I was too invested OOCly in this game >.> sorry bro). Cause it wouldn't be like oh just sit in your city and hide. It'd be oh crap I have to go deal with this guy again!
    AngweAarbrok
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Sure 'nough, we both raged sometimes, @Ezalor. There are many here I owe apologies to here for less-than-stelar behavior on both sides.
    AarbrokEzalor
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    I wont lie @Angwe got me into trouble being aggressive when I was in Duiran, but we also knew what we were getting into when we did it. I was discussing the days of old savage Duiran, when the laws werent there as a scapegoat, when an Atabahi could go in and fight a Bahkatu and no one would bat an eyelash because it was essentially tribal war.

I will repeat it again.... Safety scissors.
  • I don't think no guards is the way to go. They bring a dynamic to game. A lot less guards would be better though. All cities have high traffic areas like entrances and meeting points. Crowd those places with guards so people can feel safe in public, not all the back allies and hallways. That's just how I feel.
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Jensen said:

I may need to reevaluate guard power. I didn't realize in August that the active player buff was removed from complacency. Idk if anyone has done a real raid since then, but it might be more viable.

Sounds like my birthday raid is already in the planning stages for this year :3
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Jensen
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Ishin said:

Sounds like my birthday raid is already in the planning stages for this year :3

Yeah, you can go raid Hooters for some terrible wings.

IshinAngweAarbrokTrager
  • Their wings aren't terrible.
    Trager
  • Eeeeh, they're not good either. I'm with Hadrak.
    Trager
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    It's less the guard power being the problem and more the Players. Some players are more inclined towards RP and dislikes combat, but due to their RP they feel it is necessary to participate in certain combat-related things because doing otherwise would go against their characters. Their home is under attack, of course they defend, but that kind of conflict is not fun because it's one-sided.

During a raid it is difficult to RP out the confusion and fear of a non-combatant in a way that would be satisfying, because the combatants won't stop long enough to see it/don't care/can't be bothered because it would risk their chance for victory.

If someone were posed like this:
    Looking scared and confused at all the commotion, tries to guard this crossroad.

Would a fighter stop and RP? Probably not. They'd see a player in the room and one of two things would happen.
    - If it's a known non-com, they'd move on (hopefully) in search for someone else.
    - if it's someone who shown interest in fighting (at Lessers and such), they'd switch target and get on with the slaughter.

If the above situation happened during a raid and the fighter actually stopped and emoted it's quite likely that an OOC call already went up, saying the fighter is at that location, calling for attention of more able fighters to come help. Or a more able fighter detected them in that room and storms in to attack without checking what's going on.

It would be nice if people were to slow down in combat sometimes, and consider things. I know there are some out there who do this, but if it was the norm rather than the exception, I think more people would enjoy conflict in general. People are too quick to call for backup, too quick to kill to retain the upper hand, too quick to step in without reading the situation.

I was in a situation where I had upset Moirean by making some non-flattering tapestries and she came after me. Instead of killing me, she incapacitated me and ran circles around me, emoting how upset she was, then proceeded to order a new, more flattering tapestry before wandering off. Before she left, she handed me a necklace to get out of the truelock.
    It was AWESOME. My only problem was I couldn't respond, because I also had stuttering <.<

IshinIsande
    Obyn said:

Their wings aren't terrible.

Buffalo Wild Wings over Hooters any day....Just sayin.
    TragerJensenMalok
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    You mean to tell me that these aren't the most amazing, delicious looking wings in the entirety of the world? You cray.
    (nsfw?)

Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

AarbrokJensen
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Trager said:

You mean to tell me that these aren't the most amazing, delicious looking wings in the entirety of the world? You cray.
    (nsfw?)

Best wings NA, bro.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    You win this round @Trager - even a gay man cant resist.
    Trager
    Y'all need to up your wing game. Back to the no guards point @rowena. The not having guards dealio is where the city/council decides it doesn't make sense. For duiran enemy statuses and the like fluctuate with leadership. So e people (like angwe trager and myself). Feel strongly for consequence and non coddling so we don't typically enemy or allow hiding behind guards. Others decide security of community is important. I wouldn't advocate mechanically denying guards, moreso stating the outcomes of what happens without guards. Also I'm drunk on my porch for my 27th bday. Weeeeeesesdsdeeee!
    AarbrokIshinAngweIsande
    Happy Birthday Drunk @Jensen
    JensenArekaAngwe
  • Jensen said:

Y'all need to up your wing game. Back to the no guards point @rowena. The not having guards dealio is where the city/council decides it doesn't make sense. For duiran enemy statuses and the like fluctuate with leadership. So e people (like angwe trager and myself). Feel strongly for consequence and non coddling so we don't typically enemy or allow hiding behind guards. Others decide security of community is important. I wouldn't advocate mechanically denying guards, moreso stating the outcomes of what happens without guards. Also I'm drunk on my porch for my 27th bday. Weeeeeesesdsdeeee!

I used to be in Duiran, for a long time in fact, six or seven real life years probably, it has always had that dynamic. On one hand you have the love life, peace and harmony sorts and on the other hand you have the harshness of nature, severity, Haernite stuff. That's nothing new.
  • edited June 2015
    Aarbrok said:

Buffalo W--

Someone said buffalo. (I have yet to try those actually)

Also I can not believe that not a single soul has said:

"TONED DOWN FOR WHAT?!"

Sorry.

Guards aren't crutches, but we still need them (edit woops I meant to add: a few, like one or two - as in Spines) for our newbies, for our fun RP times and directions of course. But this thread looks mostly dead anyway, sorry to revive!

IsandeDidiIshin