USA Coast to Coast

TeaniTeani Shadow MistressSweden
So! I'll be touring through the States this summer for three weeks. It's work, so not pleasure, meaning I am not the one setting the itinerary, nor can I guarantee much time for personal pleasure. However, I was thinking that maybe, if people were to live on the way, I could at least meet them for a quick hi, a hug and possibly a beverage at some local coffee shop!

At the moment, I have few set dates, other than arriving in New York on the 13th of June and leaving from Los Angeles on the 2nd of August. On my trip I will pass through 13 States, of which I will stop (and spend more than a short break) in 9. That is, if the route hasn't changed from previous years.

If any of you are interested and live along the following route, let me know and I will keep you all updated. (Dates will be added when I know for sure.)

New York (arriving July 13th)
Washington DC
Knoxville
Nashville
Memphis
New Orleans
Lake Charles
Austin
San Antonio
Carlsbad Caverns
Santa Fe
Monument Valley
Grand Canyon
Las Vegas
Los Angeles (departing August 2nd)

For the rest of you, if you want to travel vicariously through me, I will most likely post my adventures here too!

Xenia

Comments

• If you're driving/taking a bus, you'll more than likely pass through Lancaster PA/Philly between New York and DC! If you do, let me know, I'd love to grab a coffee or something!
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    Teani
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    We'll go by minibus, but I'm not calling the shots. Our American guide is, but I'll check that as soon as I can! It would be awesome. :smiley:

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    If you stop through Philly, hit me up! Setne's also here, and some others.
    Teani
  • edited April 2015
    Aww... No Florida! Still, it sounds like an awesome trip, Teani! I'm jealous and I live in the States!
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I live about 15 miles away from DC, closest to the side of the city with the Mall, Smithsonian, and lots of the monuments.
    Teani
    Aww, that's too bad, @Emelle. Sadly I'm not running the show. :disappointed:
    I'm just hoping that I get a chance to meet at least -some- people when I am finally in the States!

Emelle
  • Too bad you're not coming by Oregon- seems there's quite a few players around here! Stay safe on your trip and have fun!
    (Web): You say, "I know there's something I'm forgetting.."
    (Web): Sevaan says, "You forgot to border the letter with macaroni art?"
    AarbrokSatomiTeaniSarkis
  • yaaay Oregon

Isande
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Yeah Oregon probably has the best people just sayin...
    Aryanne
  • Aarbrok said:

Yeah Oregon Pennsylvania probably has the best people just sayin...

ftfy

...As I have yet to meet Areka or Setne. I'm a horrible PA Aetolian :(
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    Aarbrok
    As mentioned, I'm not the one who's set the destinations. I'm mostly just along for the ride to keep the students in line. Maybe I'll have a chance to travel to the States on my own soon, and really meet up with people. This is the best I can do for now though!

• @Teani have a great trip, you are supercool
    TeaniHaven
    edited July 2015
    My trip is finally coming up! It's less than a week before departure and I am super excited!!

If what I have is correct, the proper itinerary is as follows:

13-Jul Arrival Newark Liberty Intl 19:35
    14-Jul New York City
    15-Jul Washington DC
    16-Jul Washington DC
    17-Jul Great Smoky Mountains
    18-Jul Nashville
    19-Jul Memphis
    20-Jul New Orleans
    21-Jul Houston
    22-Jul Austin
    23-Jul San Antonio
    24-Jul San Antonio
    25-Jul Carlsbad Caverns
    26-Jul Santa Fe
    27-Jul Monument Valley Tribal lands
    28-Jul Grand Canyon National Park
    29-Jul Las Vegas
    30-Jul Los Angeles
    31-Aug Los Angeles (Universal Studios)
    01-Aug Departure
    02-Aug Returning to Europe

Mind you all, I have 13 students (Swedish and Italian) to take care of, so I won't be able to drop at a hat and hang out with Aetolians (however much I'd love to do that!). I might have time to chat while sightseeing or if I let the students free for an hour or two I could grab a soda or something before meeting back up with them.

I will have a definite itinerary once I speak to my driver/guide. I'll TRY to sneak in a stop in Philly, @Aldric but can't guarantee it. This is going to be so much fun! I'll try to post pictures here to let you all follow my journey. :smile:

Edit: Modified the schedule as I found a mistake. I forgot to take time zones into consideration!

Aldric
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    How old are your students?

They're between 15-17 years old and I meet them for the first time on Heathrow before crossing the Atlantic.

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Are you driving from city to city? If so, if you detour through Philadelphia en route from NYC to DC, I would love to take you out for (insert meal of appropriate time of day).
    We have a guide from Peak driving us in a minivan. If I'm lucky I can convince the driver that we stop in Philly for a meal, but I won't know that until I meet up with them. I'll have wifi every day, so I should be able to update people here though!

Modified schedule because I forgot to take time zones into consideration!

edited July 2015
    This is now real! I'm at the airport on my way to Heathrow and then transferring over to flight across the Atlantic. It's going to be so awesome!!

• I hope you're prepared for just how large this country actually is! But I hope you have fun and enjoy the trip! :D
    IshinTeani
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Remember! Some of the places you're going are excruciatingly hot. Bring lots of water, drink lots of water, and apply sunscreen like it's going out of style.

WATER. REMEMBER THE WATER.

ObynTragerDidiIshinAarbrokTeaniSarkisEmelle
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I'd like to echo what @Hadrak said. In dry heat especially it's VERY easy to get dehydrated and have a heat stroke/get heat exhaustion. Make sure you drink a lot of water, even if it doesn't feel like you're sweating.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Hadrak
    We are going to set up a system in my minivan, where if the students have not asked for a toilet break after a while, we are going to force them to drink a bottle of water. And then drink another one before they leave the vehicle after arrival, just so they can go straight to filling it up again!

Also, I have 50+ sun protection cream in my bag at all times!

So! I've landed in New Jersey and was quickly shuttled over to New York, staying at a fantastic hotel. It's about 6am Swedish time and I haven't gone to sleep yet after traveling since yesterday at 8 am. I'm going on pure adrenaline right now! :smiley:

Just wanted to update people a little:
    @Areka and @Aldric , there might be a possibility that we stop for lunch in the Philly area, just to try the Cheese steaks there. I won't know for sure until I see how early we manage to get away from New York on Wednesday morning.

@Xenia , we will be aiming for a visit at Barton Springs, but staying at McKinnley something?

I still have no phone (will be getting a US phone number tomorrow as soon as I can find a shop with a good sim card deal) but as soon as I do, those interested in setting up a meeting can get it for possible text communications! :smile:

I think I'm more excited than the students traveling with me! Tomorrow I get to go to the Empire State Building! We're also heading to Ground Zero and the memorial, most likely, and some shopping around Fifth as well as dinner at Hard Rock Café!!

Areka
  • Oh perfect, I know exactly where you will be staying, it's McKinney Falls and that's in the city (and coincidentally close to where I live!).

I can definitely meet you at the park you will be camping out in.

I have a lot of doctor's appointments over the next few days, but depending on what you're doing in DC (and when), I might be able to stop by. Have they told you where you'll be staying when you're here?
    Awesome @Xenia!

And bot yet @Sarita, I'll ask for a proper itinerary tomorrow.

@Areka and @Alric: I'll be at Pat's and Gino's tomorrow around lunch! (11-13- ish depending on traffic out from New York). Be there if you can!

Areka
  • Ahhh, I just now saw this. I'm so sorry I missed it :(
    The obvious thing to do is come down to DC @Aldric!