Darkest Dungeon

AshmerAshmer Barefoot AdventurerLife
I downloaded this on Early Access the other day and I'm just about to boot it up. Anyone else rocking this?

@Hadrak @Hadrak @Hadrak

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Comments

• HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro

It did not go well for me, as an aside.

Ashmer
  • When I read 'Darkest Dungeon' I thought this was gonna be a kink thread.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

IshinAshmerColetteTeaniTaras
    Considering that one of my characters (a Leper) went to the Brothel to chill out, then somehow disappeared for two weeks only to reappear with a -raging- case of Syphilis, you might not be entirely inaccurate.

TragerIshin
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Brothel you say?
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Valenae said:

When I read 'Darkest Dungeon' I thought this was gonna be a kink thread.

I'm not opposed.

That said, I just loaded it up and I love it. It's confusing enough to make me learn shit as I go about the way the dungeoning works, but the stats seem pretty intuitive and it's REALLY easy to pick up the character synergy.

One thing that didn't make sense to me was when I went into the Ruins, killed the first room of skeleton things, and then it said QUEST COMPLETED. Is that my cue to gtfo before my Crusader dies, or do I want to keep going deeper? Or is asking that question part of the point?

• I have a Plague Doctor that is masochistic and enjoys setting off traps on himself and enjoying the blood.

As for my Leper, hes a heal refusing magic hating syphilis riddled mess who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his sword. This game is ridiculously addicting 10/10 would recommend.
    Ashmer
    Ashmer said:

One thing that didn't make sense to me was when I went into the Ruins, killed the first room of skeleton things, and then it said QUEST COMPLETED. Is that my cue to gtfo before my Crusader dies, or do I want to keep going deeper? Or is asking that question part of the point?

Essentially, there's going to be your quest objectives: explore 90% of the area, do 100% of the room battles, and a bunch of others that get more specific depending on the area. Once you complete this quest objective, you can keep going to reap further rewards if you're doing well or bail out if everyone is puking up blood and praising the Old Gods. When you're ready to head out, just click the complete quest seal/emblem in the upper left--however, you can only do this outside of battles, so be careful.

I beat the Hag this morning before work with everyone on Death's Door. My Hellion and Bounty Hunter sealed the deal while my Occultist flailed wildly in the background alongside the Vestal.

My Crusader just left in search of a holy vision. <.<

The raw strategy that suffuses every little decision in this game is so tasty.

I just started fresh and cleared the ruins twice; once with a fresh party while my Vestal and Plague Doctor were recovering stress - they got shitstomped except for my favorite Highwayman, so I dismissed them and hired a Leper. Really excited for the Leper tomorrow.

Could you not.

Ashmer
    My favorite Highwayman was all UNICORNS YOU I'M JUST GONNA VIGOROUS ALL OVER THIS when his stress went over.

Dismas, man. Someone tweeted a screenshot to the devs of their entire group going crazy while he's sitting on 0 stress and not afflicted. Dude's a baller.

Ashmer
    Seriously, Dismas is a beast. I upgraded the brothel JUST for him.

So Hellion + Plague Doctor = two-round stun of the entire enemy party. So abuse, very lulz.

• I love this game. The narrator, even if now I've heard all he has to say beyond levels, bosses, and missions I haven't reached... Just never gets old. Also, that bitch with the cooking pot can go die. You need people who can hit back positions and don't even worry about one person in the pot. Just have the other three rail her down.

Not that I've managed it. I don't have the team comp to get to her alive, much less kill her when I'm there.

Leper/Crusader is a bad combo.
    edited February 2015
    I did Leper/Bounty Hunter/Hellion/Occultist for the Hag on the next ranking. Also, I encountered the Ghoul and Gargoyle pack last night in the Ruins. I could have cried.

The Swine Prince killed my four best heroes, so I'm rebuilding. <.< I kept having Dismas try shooting the little dude, thinking that when the little dude was dead the extra attacks would stop. Nooooooope.

• Apparently my laptop will not support the proper drivers to play this game. Very sad.
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    This game is gruuuuuueling. But fun!

I think I'm finally getting into the swing of things. In my first seven weeks I only finished ONE quest, but I've managed to get 3 in a row now!

I can't find a healer to match the Vestal. The Occultist just doesn't do it. Vestal seems to be pretty much required, but I might be comping the rest of my team wrong for a more aggressive damage set up. I usually just pack in stuns and heals and keep everyone suppressed while I spam heal and focus down one enemy at a time.

I'm honestly a huge fan of the Occultist. He has the highest heal, but the malus is that you've got a chance of bleeding out--I hate myself, so I'm all about those risks.

Bleed resist seems to be the way to go there. Or lots of bandages.

• Man, I stole Mael's computer and played this for like 6 hours straight last night. Favourite team combo is Crusader, Hellion, Vestal, Plague Doctor.

My second team is pretty similar, Hellion, Highwayman, Vestal, Plague Doctor.

Mostly because I got stuck with all the same guys for like 4 weeks coming in by stagecoach.

I killed the necromancer apprentice though, he wasn't too bad.
    I experimented last night with a super aggro assassin team comp, since my hellion/crusader/leper/plague doctor/vestal all upped to level 3. It was Jester, Grave Robber (I love Grave Robber), Highwayman, and Bounty Hunter. No heals, but the raw burst (Highwayman point blank shot combos REALLY well with Grave Robber's Shadow Fade.) You can yank someone to the front, Point Blank Shot (usually will kill instantly), and then Grave Robber Shadow Fades for a stun and buff. It's super hot. The Jester can dive to the front to Solo and Heroic End someone before being pushed back into 3rd spot by the double lunges from Highwayman/Grave Robber. I think next time I'll replace the Jester with an aggro Occultist, or shove the Occultist on the back row and have the Bounty Hunter range from 3rd spot. Come Hither is so so good for dragging those stress-heavy support monsters to the front for a Point Blank Shot.

Is anyone else contemplating running 4 jesters? >_>

• I've enjoyed what little I've played of it, but I got distracted by Dragon Age Inquisition.
    Haven
    Serrice said:

Is anyone else contemplating running 4 jesters? >_>

I am, actually. I'm very, very tempted to start a DARK playthough once I finish up my current save and complete the EA content.

Fun fact: the guy who did a lot of the artwork for DD did work for IRE too.

Ashmer
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Is the Helion from Diablo or Skyrim, you think?
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I like Crusader, Leper, Highwayman, Vestal, or something similar to that. Tho my off party is like Hellion, Crusader, Occultist, etc