Snail Mail Exchange

EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
So every now and then, I get this huge desire to just... send postcards to randoms somewhere in the world. And getting traditional snail mail is a nice thing, you know? But there's a surprising lack of online sites that facilitate this (or perhaps my google-fu is just particularly weak in this regard).

So... I thought I'd pitch it as an idea here. My idea is that people give me their postal addresses in a private message (which is already one of those 'am I sure I want to do this' things, which I totally understand, but I thought I'd try. I'm in Australia! You're probably safe from unrequited visits!) and then like a secret santa thing I match up each person with an address (but not a name or character name! You can tell the person yours, but I don't want nasty things happening because someone gets someone they think they might want to harrass) and then you send them a postcard or snailmail of some description. All costs would be handled by the senders, but a simple postcard stamp- even an international one- doesn't break the bank I think.

This might not work at all of course, but I've been meaning to see if it would, so here it is. I'd like to hear expressions of interest, ideas for improving, pointing out of glaring faults, that sort of stuff. Thanks!

Valenae

Comments

• SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    I'm interested! I used to love this type of stuff and wouldn't mind getting involved with some sort of project.

• SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    http://www.postcrossing.com/

That said, I prefer having something of a connection with someone. I'd be down for this. (I'm located in Austin, TX)
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    You know I could always use another proper supply of Whizz Fizz and Milo, I could send you some of ALL the pumpkin spice things from America in response.. -wink- :)
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    I think I'd be down with this. This sounds fun!

• AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    That being said I would also love to just have an old school penpal, kinda secret-y thing so sign me up.
  • I am down for this. As long as my terrible penmanship doesn't hamper things.
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Awright, looks like we have a decent number interested, so! PM me your targeting coordinates and any important notes (like whether your truename needs to be on there or if just the address will make planetfall, or anything specific like that. You know your posties better than I do!) and once it looks like I've got everyone that's playing, I'll throw everything in an RNG and PM bits back.

Gwenith
    I have five addresses! MOAR!

Nine people now! I will give a bit more time just in case, and also that will be time for me to get my hands on some postcards myself... after that, I'll dole out addresses~

Ten names!

Incidentally, if there is someone on the forums who you definitely do NOT want a postcard from (for good reasons or bad, you know, like you live near them maybe, or perhaps you've sworn that any correspondence will result in a duel to the death) please let me know! I don't want to ruin someone's day with a misguided missive.

Vidget
    edited November 2014
    Update on this: I'm getting my hands on some postcards around the 24th (special postcards!) so I'll arbitrarily make that the cutoff. Also eleven people so far!

Teani
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden

How are things coming along with this?

Also, some friendly advice from children on the internet:
    "To keep milk from turning sour: keep it in the cow."

Colette
    edited November 2014
    Well, my postcards arrived and tomorrow is the 24th, so I guess I'll deal out addresses tonight! Still a few hours for people to get an address in if they want to play, though C:

Teani
    Okeydokey, sorry about the derp on timing there, but I've handed out all the addresses! Hopefully the RNG didn't make any abhorrent match-ups.

I'm just wondering how things are going with this? I've yet to receive any snail mail from anyone. I've sent my own though! At least that's something. :smile:

• I've sent mine. I hope customs didn't stop it for to much chocolate.

Politics
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    I sent a Celesmas themed one! I hope they got it.

Iiiii arranged everyone's addresses and forgot to include myself because I'm a derpface- but I hope people have sent things! It'd suck to send one and not get one.

Teani
  • Hey, is it too late to sign up? This sounds awesome

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• VolkaVolka Lurking behind the beakers....
    I still have postcards. :3 
  • I anyone would like one from me I'd love to send you a postcard from my collection. I have probably a thousand postcards from the early 1900's.

:3 I'll pick ya a pretty one!

I love this idea by the way. Real mail is so fun to send/receive!!
    Well, I've yet to receive anything. Sent mine in December though! :smile: