The hairs on the back of your neck.

2»

Comments

• I fear losing the use of my hands in any sort of injury.

I fear being hit by an irresponsible car owner.
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Reading this thread has been very interesting. For myself, I don't exactly have fears of, but anxieties about, the list of things I'm about to share.

1. driving too close to ditches. I just don't like it. The whole time, I'm imagining elaborate scenarios in which I accidentally flip my car.
    2. Driving in cities. I get panicky because I'm never quite sure if I'm in the right lane, doing the right thing, and there is no 'out' when there are so many buildings and people surrounding you.
    3. Driving in the rain/snow/ice because I, again, imagine elaborate scenarios where I or the people around me fuck up and end up crashing.
    4. I think about my fubarred spine and how I'm going to function later in life, far too often for comfort.
    5. A future without my mother gives me nightmares.
    6. A future without my little brother often does the same. I have recurring nightmares where I'm in charge and he manages to die or get seriously maimed. These often have me waking up sobbing in terror.
    7. I dislike living things with more than four legs. Spiders, ants, bees, wasps, etc. You are over your four foot limit, sirs/madams/its!
    8. I legitimately have a phobia of peeling skin. It grosses me the hell out and I can not deal. My spf regime in the summer is stellar due to it though!
    9. I get creeped out by clusters of differently sized circles. Or pores, if I look to close. There used to be this picture on the internet of a breast with some sort of 'disease' that looked like pods bursting where the nipple should be. I cried. I honestly cried it was so horrifying. It did not help when they debunked the photo by showing the original and the flower that the clusters of pods came from side by side. I just now really hate that flower thing.

AryanneValenae
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Eugenides said:

You've reminded me of a fear. Scorpions. I can do spiders. Hand catch them and what not. Scorpions make me freeze up with fear. Just for a moment, then I can handle the situation.

Also, For spiders in the house, I use an airsoft pistol to kill em. I can shoot them from across the room now. Would recommend.

TragerAngweValenae
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Ugh, @Ezalor.

Driving scares me. If I can't drive down the center line, to hell with that stuff. I manage, but it's not exactly a great time. Being somewhere unfamiliar really makes me twitch, especially trying to sleep (Just doesn't happen, lets be honest). I think at this point in time, my biggest fear would be getting stuck where I am right now.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

IshinValenae
  • Spiders. Heights. Dying alone.

• AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited January 2015
    Being stupid. I'm constantly second-guessing myself, secretly convinced that every action I take will be the worst one, or that I'm fatally misunderstanding a situation.

It factors into every problem I have, from being a 26 year old man with no real career to my crippling social anxiety.

Worse is the paranoia my solution produces, as I'll tend to force myself to make a decision, or (in social situations) force myself to speak or act when I'm still apprehensive. And my friends think I'm 'confident,' heh.

And then comes immediate regret.
  • My biggest fear? Yellowstone super volcano blowing. Seriously, there are days like today, where I just got done shoveling my driveway, I'm walking up the stairs, and swear I had this unavoidable need to check the phone because the ash was going to arrive in six hrs and I had to say goodbyes as fast as possible so I'd have some time left to stock up on water/food/guns (i've never owned one in my life!).

Yeahhhh...

I'm also bad with heights because it's too easy to imagine someone pushing/falling off. But ok with roller coasters if the person running it can hold my glasses/purse.
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    AryanneTrager
  • I'm absolutely terrified of something happening to my boys. Just last night I had a dream that I was picking Kaidyn up from somewhere (it was a place I'd never been, but I seemingly knew where I was in the dream and it was familiar to my dreamself) and some people I had known when Kaidyn was a baby were trying to kidnap him. I think part of the reason for the dream was that I recently found out they were responsible for a string of armed robberies near where I am from originally. I woke up terrified. Fell asleep and the dream resumed. When I woke up again, I watched Kaidyn sleep for a while before finally being calm enough to go back to sleep. I'm still a bit shaken up about the dream. The door to the apartment is deadbolted and I checked all the windows to make sure they were locked.

Also, I'm getting really worried about giving birth. I've done it before. I keep telling myself that. I actually had a really easy time with it the first time. Did the natural birth with Kaidyn and plan on doing it with Ian. Still. Just scared something awful will happen.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Also, elevators. Hanging coffin-traps, man, rather take the stairs, thx.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    @angwe you just had a bad experience watching resident evil
    AngweAryannePerilunaValenae
  • Needles. Any context. Anything entering my body without my consent as a broader extension thereof.

Policemen. I'm white, I'm generally law-abiding, I don't have as much to fear, but I never feel safe around policemen. Ever.

Failure. Also, success. Both at the same time.
    JensenArekaEmelle
  • I don't get afraid...but you manage to toss me into a place that's supposed to be safe in its original purpose (think daycare, hospital, church), but is filled with darkness, rubble and garbage, and then have a child singing nursery rhymes slowly, or have them playing extremely slowly..you'll get my nerves up pretty badly. I've a specific criteria where I get nervous and creeped out on a level where I get jumpy.

Most scenarios are not capable of doing it. Silent Hill gets 50% of the formula right, but I never truly get jumpy, Bioshock got it fairly close. Most of the time, if you don't get the formula perfect, it results in me just getting hyper-aware and then my likeliness to jump decreases, and my response time increases. I get stressed..but not paranoid and jumpy, heh.

It's why I'm so awesome at games like Dying Light, where heightened reflexes just are good. I go out at night, either turn on my flashlight in the pitch blackness, or I down a night-sight potion, then I start running, maybe planting a bullet in the ass of one of the most dangerous creatures in the night, and I sprint like a MFer across town, getting a large pack following me, it's funny actually, because if they get close, I usually have some sort of throwing weapon handy, I'll use my "throw at their face behind me because I'm running and looking-backwards" ability and throw them back a few inches while I keep my path going..adjusting with every new entrance and new problem. I rarely die when I do this, heh.
  • This is an interesting thread. Got me thinking of what I really am afraid of I guess. 
    Part of me says im up there with @Mariena, having more anxieties than actual fears. 
    Transport trucks on the highway, downtown driving in major cities (seriously T.O. driving can suck it), walking too close to the edge of a cliff... that kind of thing. 
    Then when I really think about it, the one and only thing I'm actually terrified about is not knowing if something terrible happens to my grandmother, or finding out too late. 
    Life is tough, its supposed to challenge you. Thats why we've all got things we just cant handle from time to time. 
  • edited February 2015
    1.) Feeling trapped both emotionally and physically. Being held down, restrained, trapped in a tight space without an ability to escape, say no or otherwise control the situation, and just generally forced into a situation I can't fight or control.
    2.) Wings in my face- birds or insects flapping. According to my mom a bird got trapped in our house and flapped near my face as a child. Whatever is wrong, it freaks me out.
    3.) Clowns.
    4.) Driving by or near semis.
    5.) Police officers terrify me. My hands always sweat near a police officer. I also choke up. Recently I got pulled over and the cop was like, "Do you know why you're being pulled over?" And I said, "Class, I was on my way to it". I blinked and started nervously laughing. Once I started laughing I couldn't stop. So awkward.
    6.) Surprises.
    7.) I agree that success and failure are both more terrifying to me than scorpions, spiders, or even clowns. I can punch a clown, you know?

Edit: I'm also constantly concerned about my boyfriend, friends, or family members getting into car accidents as well. Once I had a dream about my sister getting into an accident. I called her to make sure she was okay and it turns out she did get into an accident. It wasn't the way I dreamt it, exactly, but now the small, insignicant chance that my intuition could be right psychs me into calling. Yep, I'm that annoying friend.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    failure makes me nervous, but success never bothered me. Large spiders/insects have a good tendency to freak me out but not always. Every once and a blue moon I dream about waking up and finding a large spider in my bed (one weird time it was a softball sized hermit crab while I was in a cabana on the water) THAT will make me shoot out of bed in the middle of the night and frantically check my sheets.

Also once I slept walked naked into my small windowless bathroom, shut and locked the door, then woke up in the absolute pitch black. It's weird waking standing up and full naked. It took me like 20 mins to find my way out.
    Valenae
  • edited February 2015
    I'm not afraid of death at all. I mean it would suck to leave because my life is a lot of fun, the people in my life are cool for the most part, and I want to experience life as much as possible, but if I knew it couldn't be helped then I guess it is what it is? I used to be scared of it but I think taking care of hospice peeps put stuff in a different perspective.

I would actually prefer to die alone; I'm concerned that my family and friends would consider it to be a traumatic experience because they don't handle grief well. Plus, I'm an introvert and I prefer to be alone anyway. Why are you fawning over me? Just give let me unlimited comic books and let me die kthanx.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• edited February 2015
    There are a couple of these for me. Heights. Related - bridges. Drowning. High bridges over water, like the skyway bridge in Tampa? Nope nope nope.
  • I am creeped out, but also fascinated by parasites. Long white worms writhing and turning inside of pink flesh. Faceless mouths chewing and digging into organs, eggs hatching and larvae moving beneath taunt skin.
    Didi
  • Dying alone.

Areka