Cryptic Chests

AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2075
Date: 12/14/2012 at 10:20
To  : Everyone
Subj: New Cryptic Chest items

A new series of set artifacts has been added to the cryptic chests!

An ornately-framed mirror
-------------------------
* 1x top half of a mirror frame
* 1x bottom half of a mirror frame
* 2x a smashed mirror shard

Will alert you whenever someone tries to sense you. Does not reveal who
did it, and only works on sense skills that are targetted directly on
you (i.e. farsee, and not scent).

A compass of disorientation
---------------------------
* 1x a compass rose diagram
* 1x a magnetized compass needle
* 1x an empty gold-forged compass case
* 1x a broken length of gold chain

Rearranges the exits of the current room temporarily when you SHAKE it.
The room will still connect to the same adjacent rooms, but the exits
leading to them will be different. The effect lasts five minutes and can
only be done once an Aetolian day.

A bracer of hammered ilmenite
-----------------------------
* 4x chunks of ilmenite ore

Glows whenever someone on your enemy list enters the same area as you.
Does not bypass hood and various states such as phase and blackwind.

Eyes of the Observer
--------------------
* 1x Left Eye of the Observer
* 1x Right Eye of the Observer
* 1x an ornate silver gemstone setting
* 1x a silver jewellery chain loop

Allows you to DIAGNOSE other people in the same room as you. Has a
longer equilibrium time than self-diagnose.

A compass-inlaid ilmenite bracer
--------------------------------
* 1x Eyes of the Observer
* 1x bracer of hammered ilmenite
* 1x an ornately-framed mirror
* 1x compass of disorientation
NOTE: Unlike other set item artifacts, all of those artifacts need to
belong to you.

This artifact contains all the powers of its set items, with bonuses!
Bonuses are as follows:

Eye:     Can remote diagnose anybody on the same continent.
Mirror:  Reveals the name of who sensed you.
Bracer:  Bypasses hood, phase, blackwind, etc.
Compass: The exit scrambling affects adjacent rooms as well.

Penned by my hand on the 1st of Niuran, in the year 378 MA.

I was trying to figure out how to put that in a quote thingie, but failed.

Anyhow, 12 new items got added to the chests that can combine into a neat bracer. I'm not really sure what to think about the cryptic chests overall at the moment - on one hand it feels like the more items that get put in, the smaller your chance will be of getting one of the nicer artifacts, but on the other hand, those bracers look kind of neat. I didn't actually buy any real-life monies chests this time around, although I wasted quite an amount of gold on them in Delos (with my typical luck, I ended up losing a lot of gold, too).

If you feel like it, share your winnings (and losses) in this thread!

Comments

• Not to Necro this thread or anything (Cali does have necromancy ok!?) but I wished to suggest something.

the Golden Idol is a lovely idea but has some bad features to it that make players generally not want it. My suggestions for making this adorable item far more in demand are as such.

1. Make it that the Idol will NOT become the race you currently are. You can only imagine how frustrating it is for the day to turn and you see that your idol has become the race you already are...it feels like such a waste of an investment.

2. Allow the person to MOLD IDOL INTO <race> of his choosing, this  way they can choose which race to become. Doable only once per Month or Year.  I would suggest Year since it would become a more of a "when the time is right" scenario.
    Aldric
  • Calipso said:
    Not to Necro this thread or anything (Cali does have necromancy ok!?) but I wished to suggest something.

the Golden Idol is a lovely idea but has some bad features to it that make players generally not want it. My suggestions for making this adorable item far more in demand are as such.

1. Make it that the Idol will NOT become the race you currently are. You can only imagine how frustrating it is for the day to turn and you see that your idol has become the race you already are...it feels like such a waste of an investment.

2. Allow the person to MOLD IDOL INTO <race> of his choosing, this  way they can choose which race to become. Doable only once per Month or Year.  I would suggest Year since it would become a more of a "when the time is right" scenario.

So much support and love for the molding once per year. I made the mistake of getting one thinking it sounded much cooler than it was and don't actually even attempt to pay attention to it any more to take advantage of it.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    I third the mold suggestion. Do you have any idea how long I waited for my idol to turn into an Atavian so Demarcus could fly? I reached endgame first. 'nuff said. (It was human more times than I could count, in support of the first suggestion too)
  • I've had mine turn Kelki two times in a row now :(.
  • Make it possible to trade in cryptic chest items, even if it's for a very low amount of iron coins or credits.

Aarde