MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING.

Comments

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

Also, of note, I got in trouble with our corporate offices when I called to fire a guy because when they saw the paperwork, I was informed I should of fired him a year previously, but that I gave the guy too many chances. Why? Because he *wanted* to be there and I wanted it to work for him. It wasn't just a job to him. I realize you might of been recruited, also, Val, and if it was a pre-hire setup, then yea, that's kind of crappy, but I wouldn't of blown up at them. I would of seen what I could do to work it out.

But it's the threatening to quit that really gets off with me - and don't get me wrong, I've done it when I got angry, but as I've gotten older I've realized how stupid it was. Because I love my job and if they had let me quit then, i wouldn't have this job I love now. Life's a journey, and acting rashly and yelling is a bad idea.

My apology is if I offended you, because I wasn't trying to. I just have a big problem (not with you) but as I said earlier, this entire sub-25 generation that acts like it's a right that they get to come to work every day and a privilige that we got to hire them. If you're doing your part, as it sounds like you have, yea, i would absolutely try to keep you. But if you threatened to quit over something like losing your direct supervisor as he gets a promotion? I don't have time for that.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

KonnornAldricPeriluna
  • I would love to work for you, Dask.

Seriously.
    AldricRivas
    edited February 2013

Also, @Valenae - of my 19 employees, the shortest tenured one is 6 months, because she started 6 months ago (and is also the one that threatened to quit) and that's a part time position. My other part timers are at 3 years, 2 years (second time working for me, last time was for 4 years), 3 years.

My full time employees are at 15 years (was MY supervisor when I started), 8 years, 5 years, 7 years, 4 years, 6 years, 9 years, and 2 years.

I guess I do have a retention problem. I'm not counting anyone hired in the last 2-3 months, and ALL of my openings have been part time positions because they've promoted within the company.

But my point is something I was told a very long time ago by a previous boss, and that is simply this: You can never be held hostage by an employee. Ever. The moment you are, you've lost control.

"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• So, this is a little nitpicky and I apologize beforehand, but when you switched attitudes from condescending corporate overlord to humble, hardworking supervisor for the employees, probably shouldn't have picked the condescension back up. It cheapens the argument, especially when you're using it to reply to a reply that was still aimed at the original inflammatory post.
    FenrirKiyotan
  • edited February 2013

I am not trolling you I swear :( 

I just find it odd you can advertise a job like you stated and its allowed, so I asked. Plus I have only lived in the UK and Australia, not the US where laws seem really ... strange in regard to employees rights! So what I was getting at is that if you did that in the places I lived your company would get fined and you would likely get fired by the head for doing it. I guess we just have more regulations for employee protection. 

:-t
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
  • My post was in regards to the management model in your first post. You've spent the next few posts after clarifying how that isn't your management style so its clearly not applicable to the way you handle your team so I don't understand why you're getting hyper-defensive about it. Secondly, I've already stated that I didn't threaten with quitting; I just held my ground. So I understand that most of your frustration is not aimed at me and my frustration is aimed at my boss so there is no reason to further the argument. 

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    There's the reverse issue of holding employees hostage.

There's a lady in the office who is super inappropriate and there's just nothing to be done about it - upper management won't hold her accountable and reports get met with punishments or being ignored. She told one of the women that she should lose weight because she's disgustingly fat and it's no wonder her husband left her. If you request time off and you don't kiss her ass, she takes that time off instead, she won't follow procedure but we would have to, etc.

The 'you should kiss my feet I've graced you with a job you should sing my praises and not challenge me because I've achieved a level and risen above the rest of you squab' mentality is equally as problematic, if not more so, than the plethora of the 25ish feeling entitled. Only difference is that management sets the tone and example, and their entitlement bleeds through the rest of the company. 

Once the retirement boom sets in, you're going to be left with the 25ish, and it will no longer be a chooser's market. 

ValenaeZarniEsperPeriluna
    Ah, see, we had a bunch of people like that and when the new owners came in, we wiped out 95% of the entitled people and put the rest in their place. Now, it's probably one of the best working environments I've ever been in. Also, @Zarni, here's the deal: I'm generally going to be a pretty cool boss and my employees like working for me. That being said, I can be a major pain in the ass, as well. Generally, if you do your job well, you're not going to have an issue out of me and I'm going to leave you alone. You start not doing your job, and I'm going to micromanage the hell out of you until you quit, I fire you, or you get better.

• edited February 2013
    likeHATE cookies.

Please maintain an appropriate level of mad in your posts
    -Dhar
    ValenaeDharLinPerilunaZunArbrePiper
  • This stopped being interesting about 12 posts ago, you guys get an IRC room or go makeout somewhere or something. Geez.

I rage at surgery schedules at the county hospital where I work changing ON A FREAKING DIME, wherein my coworkers who cover the private hospitals can practically set their watches by the day's schedule, can look it up a week in advance, etc. I don't know what my day's gonna be like until I get in, and I still have to keep checking everything every few hours to make sure nothing's changed at the last minute (which it often does).

I dig working in chaos, I love being thrown to the wolves, trialed by fire, and a bunch of other cliches. But holy crap-on-a-unicorn, guys, a brotha can only take so much.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

DharPerilunaPiper
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Fenrir said:
    I would love to work for you, Dask.

Seriously.
    Join Enorian. You'll change your mind quickly. :)
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    LinPerilunaValenaeArbre
  • edited February 2013
    Rivas said:
    This stopped being interesting about 12 posts ago, you guys get an IRC room or go makeout somewhere or something. Geez.

Only if you join, bb. 

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• edited February 2013

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

Illikaal
  • edited February 2013
    QUIET YOU WANT THIS

Yet I don't run Enorian...?

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    oh my gooood guys get on track
    Haydyn
  • Mad at being sick for what feels like the fifth time this winter.
  • Mad at my practical joke failing!

I added alot of spice powder to my brother's soup while it was on the stove and he didnt even flinch while eating. Damn cheap chili.
    Edhain
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Or maybe he's just too manly for you.
    HaydynIllikaalEdhain
  • ...you don't mess with people's food.

ValenaeRho
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    edited February 2013
    Some of you guys think you have bad employers? Try mine:

Lin
  • Since we have a theme of grr, argh jobs, I'll add mine. We currently only have 5 people at my work and we should have something like 7. One of our girls got injured recently and can only work 4 hours a day, one works two 12 hour shifts and I spend over half a year working 6 days a week and I still have to do that at times. My boss just doesn't want to hire anyone even though we could really -really- use at least one more person part time. On a good note, though, as long as I put in my time off at least a month in advance, my boss will make sure I get the time off which is good considering I am taking vacation time in May to go see Xavin.
    imageimage
    DharZarniPerilunaPiper
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn

I have a unionized workforce to deal with. It is awesome. As far as I know, it's the only job that I can fire you, and you'll come back in 6 months with backpay because we were too harsh on you.

I hate moving and not being allowed any time to either find a place to live or actually get settled in. It's cool everyone needs me to start right away, but I won't ever get a chance to get settled in because I'll have to live in make-do mode and then if I get time off I'll be too tired to unpack and all that fun stuff. On the plus side, my new boss(es) seem to encourage everyone actually having something that resembles a weekend. Here's having some fingers crossed!

• Perpetual frustration 

Getting a phone call @ 5AM because one of my employees fell asleep on the job and we're airing... nothing. Having to drive into work and wake him up.

• PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Trying on my summer shorts and realizing that I've gained more than I thought that I did over the winter. Raaaauuuggghhh!
  • People inviting me to a web to insult me repeatedly.

Me accepting the web invite as a show of good faith that I'm not about to get textually abused 

This happening when my body is bruised as heck from a car accident.

The person doing is being far older than me and someone who should be above such things. 

Also limping. I hate limping. I really hate limping. I hate it even more so because it's caused by joints+tendons so the only way to fix it is wait a few weeks and limp around more like an idiot, because people either think oh man a cripple, some dude trying to look hard, or swag on. 

Also, I hate having to manage maximum draw power to performance and value to performance comparison for buying a new set of GPU's. 

Last thing. Haskell, for many many reasons. I really hate Haskell. I hate it even more so because we're expected to use it on a mac. Which is something else I hate for a lot of reasons. 

Lastly I hate the GTX Titan. The sheer fact Nvidia couldn't say they have the fastest graphics card on the market so they make the Kesla 20x into a desktop card just to one up their competition and then not put a competitive price on it. If there was ever a chance I'd switch from AMD to Nvidia it would be for that card if it was 700/600 dollars, which is where it should have been.Instead now I have the fun time of checking out which 7900 series card I'll want to crossfire or decide to wait for the Malta to come out.  
    Piper
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal

Xiuhcoatl said:
    Last thing. Haskell, for many many reasons. I really hate Haskell. I hate it even more so because we're expected to use it on a mac. Which is something else I hate for a lot of reasons. 
    Online ongoing Haskell class!

http://shuklan.com/haskell/index.html
    Zun
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    edited March 2013
    WEB QUIT
    IGNORE (%w)
    If you feel it's necessary.
    ISSUE (%w)

You don't have to sit there and take it, you know. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • Since the Ankyrean anguish thread is temporarily locked, I'll rage here.

I just met Agrash in my bathroom. Not even joking. He was huge.