The hairs on the back of your neck.

It's simple. I just want to know what frightens you. Be it a fear you've had but never faced, or a situation that was all to real.

My fear. Drowning.

I was between eighty and a hundred feet down. I'd dove past the reef, and decided to swim with the sharks that skirted this underwater sheer drop. Normally not a big deal, Smallish sharks that'll mostly leave you alone. Anyway, I had about another hour of air according to my tank. Less than a minute later, I was tapped. Went to inhale and it locked up. That far under water with a faulty tank surrounded by sharks. I was terrified. I think that was the first moment I really felt fear. I was without air for what I'd assume was ninety seconds before I could signal to my dad. He brought is backup line and I lived, but I haven't gone under since then. I did manage to have a bit of a panic attack snorkeling though.

What are your fears?

Comments

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Heights.

Cancer.

Dying alone.

• Heights.

Moths.
    Volka
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Dolls.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Dying.

Being perceived as a failure, useless, or worthless.

Being physically unable to do the things I love.

Used to be heights.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Suffocating.

When I was taking ECT, they would put me under anesthesia and then give me a strong muscle relaxer so I wouldn't hurt myself when I had the seizure. Turns out the muscle relaxer was so strong it makes it so you can't breathe, and one time it kicked in before the anesthesia did. I couldn't even move my eyes to make eye contact with someone to express my terror that I was going to die like this. They had gauges hooked up to me, though, and when they went off that I'd stopped breathing, they just did this manual breather on me. They got one blast of air in and I thought 'thank god I'm not gonna die like this' and then the anesthesia kicked in.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    @eugenides had my regulator freeze open @70 feet on a dry suit dive in Iceland. Thankfully I stayed calm and did an emergency ascent but that shit is goddamn scary.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I used to be terrified of needles and wasps, but I've managed to overcome most of that fear. Mostly I have a terrible fear of losing my friends.

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    I have an odd relationship with heights. If I'm on a roller coaster or bungee jumping or some other similar activity, I'm perfectly fine. But if I'm on a penthouse balcony somewhere my thoughts always flood with how I could just jump over the railing or someone could push me and I get apprehensive.

This one doesn't apply anymore, but back when I was a kid I was afraid of voids. I used to have a recurring nightmare of just being trapped in infinite whiteness, nothing else there. No idea where that came from.
    AshmerMoireanAryannePeriluna
  • I'm good with heights and all that stuff, but you know what gets me every time? Snakes.

Gtfo with these devil-serpent-bite-and-kill-you-demonspawn-unicornsing-unicorns.

Nope nope nope. Even going into a pet store or the zoo when they're all locked up gets me freaked out. To make matters worse, my dad has a 14-foot long python that him and my brother just casually drape over their shoulders and walk around with.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    Xenia
  • Ashmer said:

Being physically unable to do the things I love.

This.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• Aldric said:

I'm good with heights and all that stuff, but you know what gets me every time? Snakes.

Yeah, that'd be mine.

Another fear I have, would be related to death. I'm no so much scared of dying as I am scared of dying as a result of doing something stupid. Having my last moments be that realization of "Man, yeah.... I'm gonna die and it was because I did something stupid and dangerous."

• Drowning is a big one for me as well. When I was about 6, I actually did drown while at the the lake with my Aunt and cousins. They had to bring me back. Still can not stay under water long, or go in very deep water.

One that has developed recently is driving. I am terrified of getting behind the wheel again. My license lapsed, and I don't want to get it again. Even riding in a car with others gives me major anxiety. I have no idea what caused it.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Sometimes I feel like my entire life is precarious and if one major thing or another went wrong it would just be too much to cope, and I'd never get back into a comfort zone.
  • My biggest fear is definitely death. Has been since I was... 7 or so? I've gotten much better about coping, but I used to crumble into a ball of terrified, fearful sobbing trying to cope with the fact that eventually I will die and all the religious notions of afterlife my parents attempted to sooth me with made no sense.

Aside from that, I'm with @ezalor on the heights thing. Rollarcoasters don't freak me out at all, they're awesome! Put me by a railing that isn't at least 3/4 my height with a space below that I'd likely-not-survive the fall from? Yeah, not so much.

Oh, and getting trapped in tiny spaces and suffocating.

@Aryanne, there's some strange irony that you work for a funeral home here.
    AryannePeriluna
  • It's not a funeral home, I make headstones and help arrange burials. It's, like, totally different. I never even SEE the dead people, unless they're already ashes.

Arbre
    edited January 2015
    Back when I was a grave digger I used to haul the coffins out of mausoleums, the smell is like nothing else. You dig their graves out by hand with a spade shovel and you sometimes see the neighbors vault (a heavy concrete box wih lid that entombs the coffin), then if no one shows up you end up lowering the coffin yourself and burrying them.

One such occasion it was raining and the only people who turned up were the honor guard since he was a vet. His son had raped and murdered their niece and was serving life in prison so nobody turned up to his funeral. It was raining when we lowered him in. We all go alone.
  • @Jensen I do not think it is possible for a story to be more depressing than that.
    MoireanGwenithAldricArbreTragerPeriluna
    It was a weird time, I honestly forgot how dark that moment was till I started writing/remembering it. The only job I ever quit.
  • edited January 2015
    Oh yeah, the cemeteries where you have to hand-dig are the worst. Especially if the ground is particularly, well, bad for digging. Most graves around here are dug out with a backhoe if they can. Around here, we always lower the caskets ourselves. Most of the time, we actually wait for the families to leave before lowering, because if something is going to go wrong, it will generally be because there are too many people around the grave watching and someone did something unwise (got too close, tried to stop us mid-lowering because they weren't ready to say goodbye, etc.)

Delivery Only services are relatively common, because many families have a memorial service at the funeral home or church and don't feel the need for a second service at the graveside (or their funeral home charges additional for the graveside service as well).

It's a lot better when graves have liners, though... There are some pioneer cemeteries we dig for around here that have poor records, and when you dig a double-depth grave next to an existing... you'll often find un-recorded folks down there beneath existing liners next door, or in the spot you're trying to dig now. And that is from before the liner days. All that's left is the bits and bones and pieces.

ETA: It isn't so bad when the family can't come because of prison sentences. It is particularly stressful when they are at the service in their shackles with the prison guards blocking the area off and monitoring everything to make sure both no one tries to attack their prisoner and their prisoner doesn't try to make a run for it.

Yeah but 1 person who knew him woulda sufficed. The honor guard were 4 strangers, and me and 2 other guys in the crew. That's all who came
  • *nod* In those cases, I always try to remind myself: funerals are for the living.

A father paying for the sins of the son
  • Man. The more I think about it, the more I get weirded out by the thought of my own funeral. I'm dead, go away. Quit looking at me, go do something else.

I love sitting on top of perches but hate climbing up there/when they wobble unsteadily - so I'm scared of heights sort of? I'll sit and hang out on a roof, but climbing the scaffolding is tricky. I like to fly, but climbing up a ladder is alarming.

Honestly the thing that makes the hair on my neck prick up is that our windows downstairs have no blinds, so anyone in our back yard can just sorta stare in and watch me derp around in the kitchen - we had cars broken into awhile ago and I can't see that far out there but the theoretical them could see in just fine.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

MoireanXenia
  • Agree with you there @Toz regarding the funeral thing. I've already decided that I'm going to tell my family just to do whatever's cheapest with my body, hell, toss it in a dumpster for all I care. After that, no service, nothing like that, I want them to take the money they would have spent on all that stuff and throw a giant party to remember me that way, the way I'd like them to, by having fun and celebrating.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    Periluna
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I've found that most of mine are situational.

Needles (situationally - I'm fine with piercings and ink, it's the multi-inch needle sitting in your vein that I just can't cope with, giving blood is an utter nightmare).

Open water (like deep open water, massive lakes/oceans, not just the shore line. Smallest boat I'm really OK with is a laser and only with someone else, I barely managed a sunfish).

Spiders. Doesn't matter if it's a daddy long legs. Give me a snake, or a lizard, or a beetle. Spider? No. Nope. No. No way in hell. No. That scene from Arachnophobia with the old man's toe still gives me cold sweats.

In regard to funerals - I've decided (more seriously than I should probably acknowledge?) that I want to be turned into a diamond, and have an Indiana Jones impersonator steal me from the funeral chased by a dude in a paper mache boulder costume, and lead an exciting chase with everyone there to a big party where folk can relax and eat. Maybe play some skeeball, I don't know.
    AldricMoireanAryanneTragerPerilunaTenshyo
  • This thread makes me want a "Unicorns, that is Horrible" button for posts.

Aldric
    We need a fill in the blank button.
  • Unicorns needles too. I'd donate blood if they'd let me bring a razor and a bucket.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Aryanne
  • You've reminded me of a fear. Scorpions. I can do spiders. Hand catch them and what not. Scorpions make me freeze up with fear. Just for a moment, then I can handle the situation.

Also, For spiders in the house, I use an airsoft pistol to kill em. I can shoot them from across the room now. Would recommend.