MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING.

Comments

• I rage that @draiman bought 40 Hobbitses tickets and now it's sold out. :(
    DraimanErzsebetIshin
  • Bet all those Hobbitses are super happy though!
    imageimage
  • I hate how people get paid to create stupid fucking viruses, malware, ransomware and all that other shit. I just lost a shit ton of code because of a stupid ass ransomware virus that encrypted EVERYTHING! To top it off, I had to go out and buy a Win 8 OS disk for $120 to reinstall the damn OS because all my tech buddies couldn't do shit. Fucking perfect!!!!!!

To all unethical hackers, fuck you! Go die in a fire!
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Ishin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited January 2015
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    edited January 2015
    Moirean said:

Weeell doesn't life just suck ass sometimes. :(
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Moirean
  • VolkaVolka Lurking behind the beakers....
    My wonderful employers changed my husbands schedule again a few months ago (Right after we moved) And so we have weekends rright next to each other, but not a day off togeher, which makes getting shit done damn harrd. So afterr 6 months, I as for two days off (extra, next to my weekend, 4day weekend woo)  off. We have a floater guy, so it shouldn't be an issue, and considering tthe boss took 4 days off for chrristmass without having coverage (That was a nighttmare) chances are I'll get it approved. 

Untill the 'coworker' decided HE was taking that ttime off. To go see a cousin in texas, because a fringe relative that he can't even rremember what sate she lives in is sick. (I don't even) I talk him in to makinsue he gets the weekend rright before he asks for his time off (he's not the smartest cookie) and pu in my equest fyesterday. (It won't be seen till inthe moning.) I get here today, and he tells me he's taking -this- weekend off. not only is that against compay policy (2weeks notices for time off) but the boss is going to try and make me work 12 hour shifts, I'm prretty sure, because that's the same week that our othe coworrke has reserves drill.  I'm hoping that the floate guy is still available, because that will fix the issue, bu the office is known for jeking us around (like that transfer I'm still waiting for) and the 'coworker' is going, whether he gets approval or not (which he'll get, because he is liteally the boss' favorite)  so we're gkinda screwed.

Did I mention that I've gott maintainance comming over this weekend tto doo major worrk on my bathoom? 

• I got a call this morning from work asking if I could cover an urgent job. I'm on annual leave already and had plans but I am the only person with the correct clearances to go onsite so I've cancelled the plans for the rest of my holidays and I don't mind that because I'll get all my holidays reimbursed and I'll get paid big bucks for being called in on annual leave.

Set everything up, went into work and collected gear and read through the brief and facedesk'd. The job is confined space and I haven't done the site specific confined space introduction. Noone is able to do it for me so job is (as far as I know) canned.

Politics
  • Horse farm + Illinois winter weather = death
  • @Emelle Great question. I'm from New York, not used to this wind! It was 50s and rainy, maybe down to 30s here or there, then all of a sudden, 'YOU WILL LOSE DIGITS" weather in the last few days. Tomorrow is supposed to be the worst of it, but after about 4 hours of being outside today, I really just hope I get alien abducted or kidnapped in the next 6 hours.
  • <- TOTES HAS A CREEPER VAN AND A NICE SWEATER. oh goodness that was in caps. Ok back to my flight.
    IshinAsaraiiEmelle
  • So much for timeliness. Supposed to check in fifteen minutes early for some mandatory appointment or my knees get broken.. Or something. Whelp, almost five minutes past when my appointment was to start and no receptionist yet. 

Wondering if I still get to keep my knee caps. 
  • I'm flipping freezing down here guys.

This kind of weather may be laughable to some of you, but Nola's don't do the cold well. Especially below 30. Even at 50 I need something to combat it.

.. Its supposed to get into the teens tonight. I don't wanna die yet.
    IshinAryanne
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    It was -24 F here. I cocooned myself last night and emerged not-a-popsicle.

IshinEmelleAryanne
  • I can't even imagine what that must be like.
  • Between -20 and -30 here, power went out for a while this morning, that sucked. Haven't let the horses out of the barn in a few days, if I could walk from the barn to the house without my face burning off I'd probably have them all cuddled up in my room right now >_> Flatlander winds may make me move back to the east coast after a taste of winter here!
    Nola said:

I can't even imagine what that must be like.

Cold. It was 12, windchill dropped us down to -2. We have the bedroom door closed and the baseboard heat in here rolling to keep us from freezing. Also have 2 fat blankets(comforter on top of a quilt) + some sickening awesome mattress.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Sollace
  • The winds were really bad here yesterday. Don't know how bad, but apparently enough to make small pickup trucks twirl about when their back ends got caught up by it. Definitely could pull the drag and pull myself when driving.
  • It's stupidly hot here. Luckily I'm working in air-con this week.
    Riluo
  • It's stupidly hot here. Unluckily I'm working in the middle of a barren field after being called in for the second time on my annual leave.

Politics
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    It's cold here, and people are stupid about it. Luckily they shut down schools today, so driving home from work was faster than usual. Unluckily, my husband was supposed to be coming home from Canada today, but he's caught in a snowstorm in Chicago. I was all excited about getting to see him, but now I'm not sure I'll be awake IF he manages to get out tonight at all.
    Sarita said:

It's cold here, and people are stupid about it. Luckily they shut down schools today, so driving home from work was faster than usual. Unluckily, my husband was supposed to be coming home from Canada today, but he's caught in a snowstorm in Chicago. I was all excited about getting to see him, but now I'm not sure I'll be awake IF he manages to get out tonight at all.

That sucks, Rita. Here's hoping he makes it home safe to ya <3
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • It was so cold my car didn't want to start. Even my car was like f--- this.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

Ishin
  • It is cold. Also, the telephone company came to set up my interwebs while I was away. -2 points for customer service paying any attention at all when I said, "Don't come on the 7th, I'll be out of town. And ship my modem right away please and not on the 5th so it gets here on the 7th, I will not be here. Because, you know, I won't be here."

There is a loooovely little note that says, "Ha ha ha u n00b, u have no wiring on the outside of ur house." Now, I am not an electrician, or a network person or IT or a telephone person. I don't really deal with wires and wiring. So I took a picture to share with everyone.

Now, I understand this is a relatively new type of NID. In fact, based on how shiney and gooey everything is, I'm going to take a stab and say that "John" installed this puppy on the 7th. Despite not knowing anything about this stuff, I do know that the big black wire with the reddish and yellowish wires do go down the box and into my house. If I had to guess, that is where my internal wiring would connect to the outside world, or more specifically this stupid box. Did I mention it is really cold and my fingers basically freeze in about 12 seconds? It's cold.

Now, if I flip open that little thing, the yellowish and reddish wires coming from my house plug into the T and R bits of the little connector thing. Like I would kind of expect them to. Unfortunately, my modem refuses to have the little DSL light turn green to proceed to step 4 of setup. Because it can't talk to the rest of the world through this box. I need to mention once more that it is cold.

I was tempted to post this in 'Tech Talk', but lets face it, POTS is basically like a rock tied to the end of a stick compared to the awesome stuff like fiber optics and whatnot of today. Or even CAT 5 cable. Anything. Plus it said 'Clients and Scripting' and I was cold. Because... you guessed it, it's cold.

SO, I know there are some wickedly talented and knowledgeable people who come from all sorts of professions and hobbies and backgrounds that peruse these forums. Would anyone be able to make me less MAD and shed some light on this?
  • Rilath said:

It is cold. Also, the telephone company came to set up my interwebs while I was away. -2 points for customer service paying any attention at all when I said, "Don't come on the 7th, I'll be out of town. And ship my modem right away please and not on the 5th so it gets here on the 7th, I will not be here. Because, you know, I won't be here."

There is a loooovely little note that says, "Ha ha ha u n00b, u have no wiring on the outside of ur house." Now, I am not an electrician, or a network person or IT or a telephone person. I don't really deal with wires and wiring. So I took a picture to share with everyone.

Now, I understand this is a relatively new type of NID. In fact, based on how shiney and gooey everything is, I'm going to take a stab and say that "John" installed this puppy on the 7th. Despite not knowing anything about this stuff, I do know that the big black wire with the reddish and yellowish wires do go down the box and into my house. If I had to guess, that is where my internal wiring would connect to the outside world, or more specifically this stupid box. Did I mention it is really cold and my fingers basically freeze in about 12 seconds? It's cold.

Now, if I flip open that little thing, the yellowish and reddish wires coming from my house plug into the T and R bits of the little connector thing. Like I would kind of expect them to. Unfortunately, my modem refuses to have the little DSL light turn green to proceed to step 4 of setup. Because it can't talk to the rest of the world through this box. I need to mention once more that it is cold.

I was tempted to post this in 'Tech Talk', but lets face it, POTS is basically like a rock tied to the end of a stick compared to the awesome stuff like fiber optics and whatnot of today. Or even CAT 5 cable. Anything. Plus it said 'Clients and Scripting' and I was cold. Because... you guessed it, it's cold.

SO, I know there are some wickedly talented and knowledgeable people who come from all sorts of professions and hobbies and backgrounds that peruse these forums. Would anyone be able to make me less MAD and shed some light on this?

It's hard to say from the image alone, but when I used to install Dark DSL it just used two standard wires from the RJ11 wire that was installed.

the blue/white and orange/white wires look to be a standard CAT 5 cable, my educated guess would be that the blue/white is your telephone service and orange/white is the DSL service which needs to hook up into the same lines. It's really hard to say, there it looks like the spare wires are the ones that are capped at the bottom.

T usually means transmit, and R is usually Recieve. If I had to guess, hooking it up into the same points for blue/white as where the orange/white with the capped wires. It's really just an educated guess though, it's hard to know what the telecom did, and that Demark point is not one I"m used to.
    RilathHaven
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited January 2015
    I managed to ninja the cold. It's 49 here. It's -1 where I left. Amusingly, I'm wearing jackets more here than I was there, because the house is cold here, and it wasn't up north--smaller and easier to keep heated.

Also the day after I got here, the cat jumped up on my keyboard and broke my X key and my N key, and because I had no net, I couldn't figure out how to fix them. :< So all of the writing work I've done for Aet while I was offline, was done sans a working n/x key. (A -lot- of writing work.) Paaain. Finally fixed it. Yay, internet.
    imageimage
  • Hnng. I have a literature review due on Monday, and in between all that, I have classes and work to attend. Not only do I hate the huge amount of time I have to spend rifling through dozens of journal articles for appropriate information and information pertaining to the local context (which appears non-existent, halp), the fact that focusing on this has taken a bite into my gaming relaxation time makes me slightly disgruntled. Zzz @ being a responsible adult.
    TragerNola
  • It's so hot my icemagic isn't magicking!!!! >:(

Politics
    Riluo
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    I feel your pain it was 40 Celsius two days ago and 38 yesterday. Today is only 35 Celsius but muggy :neutral_face: not fun!

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

Gwenith
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.

Yesterday morning. Today it's supposed to have a windchill of -15.

RiluoEmelle