Subterfuge Class

Hello!

New guy here in the forums, with a few questions about Syssin, and how the class generally works:

1. Is it an effective thief class? By that I mean, can the class actually steal things, in the same way that Achaean serpents did before they were nerfed and replaced with the laughable skill of Pickpocketing?

2. How is combat and bashing for the class?

3. What artifact, both offensive and defensive, works best for the class? I'm looking at a substantial investment into the game (yay christmas bonus!), and I want to start off as fast as I possibly can.

By the way, if I posted in the wrong part of the forums, I sincerely apologize, and humbly request for my thread to be transferred accordingly.

Thank you!

Comments

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    1. No.

2. Overpowered in the right hands, rubbish in the wrong. Bashing is okay. Nothing special in my opinion.

3. +con and +sip. They're pretty squishy and could use the health buffer.

• 1. So, in effect, Hypnosis is only for combat?

2. OK

3. How about artifact weapons, any suggestions?
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    1. Basically. Force is severely limited in its options due to previous abuse of perceived griefy tactics. 

3. No suggestions. An arty dirk provides a speed increase so slight that variances in lag are more than likely to cancel out any gains you might see. You may consider damage increasing artifacts for your whip/camus bite for situational use in a group fight.

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited December 2012
    Grylls:
    There is no christmas credit bonus this year. Just artifact sales. Yay!

EDIT:
    Force is still pretty griefy: http://pastebin.com/aizxeDxW
  • edited December 2012
    @Alexina:
    Was referring to actual job christmas bonus :D

Anyway, Thanks @Serrice

I'd love to hear more from other syssin players, specially how they made the class work for them.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Grylls said:
    I'd love to hear more from other syssin players, specially how they made the class work for them.
    --> learn 60 tekura from ashayth
  • edited December 2012
    Grylls said:

Hi Grylls,

For artifact weapons, I expect that it will be more useful for bashing than it will be for combat. In combat, one would be more reliant on double-stabbing with the dirk for afflictions, and as mentioned, the benefits from an artifact dirk is not worth its purchase. The whip does not factor in unless you want to garrote him to death, which is a brute-force way of getting a kill.

On the other hand, it -does- have a significant use in bashing. I use a rune of enhancement for my whip, as well as the hunt_syssin artifact power, and strength-boost. There is a 'sweet-spot' for whip stats, if you want to get the maximum DPS. Talk to me in-game and I will give you the breakdown. Because the rune of enhancement is +6, +12, +18 for -all- stats, you need to get a whip specially made if you are using it together with a rune.

:)
  • AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    When I had Syssin class, I bashed using camus because of the superior speed, dex-scaling damage and the amount of critical hits I got made it better than any garrote bashing I could manage. Not saying this still holds true, but food for thought.
  • edited December 2012
    Myself, I fiddled around with +dex, fangs of corrosion and hunt_syssin, as well as +str, runed whip and hunt_syssin. To at least for me, whip was much better.

Just as a general idea to the numbers: I deal about 1800 damage (depending on stars) now with my whip, garroting at 2.65 seconds. I am currently using the herculean statpack. Back when I did dexterous camus bashing, it was around 1300 damage at 2.3 seconds. I had traded in my fangs of corrosion then, so I am only estimating when I say that even with it, it would not have reached the same kind of DPS as whip bashing.

I -do- wish I had the luxury of credits to test both out though. But oh well =p

So, without hundred percent certainty, I won't dare imply Alistaire is wrong, but I can only say that the general opinion is that it is better to go muscular bashing with whip, rather than agile bashing with camus - without artifacts. The reason to go agile would be only if you want to get into combat, wherein the balance recovery would be invaluable.
  • Str-based Syssin bashing is better than dex-based - I did muscular most of the way to end-game myself. You tend to be tankier as a str-based class, garrote can be pretty fast on its own, and it can do more damage - but dex is really where it's at for PK, so I camus bash now.

Xavin said:
    And everything Kog says ... is true.