I'm your assistant producer. Ask me (almost) anything.

Comments

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    I'm in a pretty small apartment and my cat is very curious, so I don't really do much decorating beyond a Christmas candle. My parents each decorate their houses pretty festively, though, so I tend to go get involved with them.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Teani
  • I'm curious. Is there any plan to update GMCP more? I've been looking through the things in gmcp.Room and noticed it doesn't say whether a direction is icewalled, the room is unnaturally flooded or anything like that... Do you guys plan on adding those? Are they things you've even considered?

Beyond being able to code in fancy things for systems I can see them being useless, but thats exactly why I want them XD. Trying to code cool looking labels around my map window to show directions, if I can go that way and if they are blocked or the room is flooded, but it would be a heck of a lot easier with those in gmcp.

Or are they there and I'm just looking at the wrong spot all together?
    'Those that do not attempt are those with the least stories to tell.'
    Ishin
  • I have an important question!

How in the hell does Forging work now? The help file is either outdated or not very clear! :(
    Ishin
  • Kylan said:

I have an important question!

How in the hell does Forging work now? The help file is either outdated or not very clear! :(

You might be better off heading over to Short Questions:

http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/42/short-questions#latest
  • Dristin said:

Kylan said:

Thanks for trying to be helpful, but I was asking mostly as a joke. I will just ask someone when there's people around.
  • Kylan said:

Dristin said:

Kylan said:

Thanks for trying to be helpful, but I was asking mostly as a joke. I will just ask someone when there's people around.
    Oh, my bad! :) I must admit, things go over my head sometimes.
  • Question about all the 'dead' areas.

There are a number of areas that essentially have been emptied out of the majority of the content and life of it, and it's mostly barren. Off the top of my head, I'd classify Tasur'ke, Ulangi as these, I've seen a lot more where they're empty either from being 'destroyed' typically.

Are there any plans to repopulate or repurpose these areas? I don't overly like the 'dead' areas as I feel they're just taking up space and removing content (when they're destroyed)
    Ishin
  • I can probably safely answer that, @Mael. It really depends on the area, I think, and what proposals volunteers might have for their areas. At the moment Tasur'ke does host some bashing content (the sharks), and part of the big game hunter questline, as well as a location for the mage guilds to gather pearls. I can't really speak as to what's going on with Ulangi, though, as I'm not fully up to speed on whatever project might be going on there.
    Ishin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Spinesreach has an idea for something they'd like to do with tasurke. Jensen thought it up. I just haven't gotten around to writing it up yet.
    Mael
  • My advice @Moirean‌ is to write it up, if the higher ups want to toss something that looks fun for us to review and work on as Celani, if it interests us we can help out in making it happen.

Few key points I will bring up:
    (Due to trying to uphold a standard, and not need retconning later (It's messy to do))

-Try and keep it on theme with the course of current Roleplay
    -Tasur'ke is a grandfathered area, get creative and make it something unique, though geographically the same.
    -Remember Mages get pearls there
    -The Great Hunt mob is there
    -The Forgotten Dome is also underneath
    -List organizations who would fit in the involvement of this transition
    -Remember historical references and ensure it will not interfere.

Other than that creativity is encouraged, I mean we have done some pretty amazing and drastic things with the spark of an idea up here.

(Fellow Celani, @Oleis‌ and others...chime in if I have forgotten anything)
    Ishin
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY - BE WILLING TO BEND WITH THE FLOW OF ROLEPLAY
    - Sometimes things will NOT go as you planned, it happens and it is part of making the environment realistic and not inherently fabricated. Those little twists and painful character moments can sometimes bring forth amazing continuation points.
  • I know it says that once you take yourself off the experience rankings there's no going back... But is it at all possible to get back onto it? Like pay a certain amount of credits, or even make an arty that costs like a thousand credits for a one time use? When I took Dae off the rankings I don't think I was thinking straight, honestly can't even remember taking him off the list. I tend to do stupid things like that without thinking it through. -points to guild/side hoping for no viable reason-
    'Those that do not attempt are those with the least stories to tell.'
    TragerDraimanIshin
    edited December 2014
    I wish there was a way to be off the competitive rankings but still have your level visible. I want someone else to have a chance at the honors line but I am proud of my level and like having that visible.
    Ishin
  • Just poking my head in briefly to note that Dun and Ulangi both have planned replacements in the works.
    Three men walk into a café, take a corner booth, and wait for context.
    MaelIshin
  • edited January 2015
    A question for Aetolia: Out of curiousity, has there ever been any consideration about 'racial relics' becoming a in-game epidemic?

Mobs in the world having chances to 'drop' unique relic pieces that players can gather and use to mutate themselves? I won't lie, I have been wanting something like this since the creation of reanimation skill set. The ability to modify the body in ways that go beyond flattery, but completely bastardizing how they choose to look like. As a vampire and a werewolf, I dreamed of ability to fight monsters bigger them myself to hack off the limb of a monster and replacing my own with something stronger! ((For example, upgrading the fangs with a snakes, arms with dragon clawed arms))

With the future tied to who knows what exciting things on the way. I was hoping that some of the previous generation content of mutations could be tied to quests, mob hunting, and general boss fights that could leave an indellible mark on a player. I especially would love to combine some of the old artifacts 'baked' into the new design itself. Like having the previous year's scorpion tail merged with the artifact scorpion tail so that if you don't have a poison on hand, it'll automatically do the formaldehyde ((sorry can't type)) poison.

An by epidemic, I mean a small segment of the population((NPC'S)) begins to ALSO be affected in some ways. Mortals who like play-acting being Xenophobic, could have some kinda of mutations they do not allow players to have! As a player like myself, who spends much more time consuming the mutant crickets on a daily basis in were-wolf form....mehehehehe...I am a little disappointed I couldn't be infected even as a mortal digesting the mutated crickets in the sewers of spines....but I love the idea of becoming a BIOHAZARD!
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Sorry if this has been asked before - are there like, designations among admin of "coder," "not-coder," "really great with events and lore," "don't let him near that library," and that kind of thing? It sounds like you guys are fairly independent and work on what you see there is to work on.
    -
    Also, is that pink cadillac still up in the Pools?

What's the craziest random item you've ever written that you know no one but the admin will ever see? (Like said pink cadillac?)

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

• edited January 2015
    @Ashmer‌ I can answer that one.

There are varying degrees of skill and experience amongst the Celani and Administration. Typically the Celani are learning and have to go through varying degrees of aptitude before unleashed on the world as a whole. There are definitely Higher ranked folk up here that would be considered more Coders and there are folks who legitimately know the lore like the back of their hands.

You kind of get a feel for who those folks are, and generally we (At least in my time up here) take time to confirm with one another before throwing something out in the world.

That being said, they tend to give the Celani assignments that will be beneficial as a learning experience, especially for someone like me who is inept at coding, they said hey...Sarosh go make some quests.

I learned how to make quests...voila! (Thank you others in the pools for dealing with me tearing my hair out)

Also may as well answer the end part:
    A jungle themed inflatable bouncy house.
    Ishin
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Thanks @Sarosh!

Brb, making a Corruption-themed inflatable bouncy house for Chakrasul's temple. People will flock to the Congregation!

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

• Building on @Sarosh's answer, there is a sort of level system for our volunteers for pretty much everything. Certain privileges come with each level, though the third level, minor-god, gives access to pretty much everything we need for building items, rooms, and npcs, as well as all of the abilities that our god shells possess.

Not every admin is a coder, since that is very complex and requires some physical setups on the volunteer's pc, but they, too, have ranks.

As for lore, most of us have a good grasp on the lore, but we can't know everything. But if we don't know, there are several people who have been up long enough that we can ask. There are some cases, however, where if there's just not enough lore we might simply make it up. The cause of this sort of situation is usually due to the abysmal record keeping in the past.
    Ashmer[Deleted User]Ishin
  • edited January 2015
    Sooooooo.... this is another silly question, but something I've been thinking about. Not that many care about xp gain, except for the rare few of us.... when it comes to PK, the xp gain is 90k/kill max divided by random numbers of how many people assisted.

Where did the 90k/kill max come from? It is possible to increase the xp gain dependent on levels or just in general?

I only ask because I've been through Imperian xp numbers for pk and they are absolutely ridiculous! OM NOM NOM NOM NOM! I can't help but think that people who want levels would be more inclined to PK if the xp gain was different and better than 90k per kill.

For anyone who would like to see Imperian xp gains on pk: http://forums.imperian.com/discussion/521/biggest-pk-exp-hauls
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Ishin
  • Not sure if anything has changed, but 6 months ago XP from pvp was very much worth it. It was a pretty rare active lesser I didn't come out on top.
    If you are max level, xp caps at 90k. The boosted lesser xp basically caps out before any xp buffs take effect - at low level, it doesn't. Many XP buffs (and bashing buffs) expire at death. It basically discourages you from pausing bashing to go PK, since bashing is far more lucrative.

For reference, a Xorani is around 3250 at my resting xp bonus (75%). However, if I am in bashing mode, they are worth 10k or more. Bashing outpaces PK insanely fast, especially since PK has a lot of downtime. If I'm bashing, it's a bit of a chore to go to a lesser.

The xp may be worth it to someone not at endgame, but once you cap out your iron elite and get used to maintaining bashing buffs, it hits a cap and gets underwhelming.
    IshinZsadist
  • edited January 2015
    Edit: I misunderstood Moirean's post. I'm sorry @Moirean! <3 I blame the lack of sleep I've been subject to. Thanks Ishin for pointing out my mistake :)
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• I think Moi was just explaining to me why my perception of 'good xp' is different from the perception of a serious basher.

Ishin
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Irruel said:

I think Moi was just explaining to me why my perception of 'good xp' is different from the perception of a serious basher.

Yeah, didn't sound like she was disagreeing with you either, Z. If anything, supporting.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    MoireanZsadist
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    What are the design inspirations for eld?

Moirean
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Serrice said:

What are the design inspirations for eld?

According to Galleus, they originally looked like the Naaru from World of Warcraft but as Valdus, Ghend, Razmael, and I worked on them, they turned out more elemental/planar monstrosity than Light-espousing windchime.

M'uru/Entropius still may show up to break your guilds in half.

MoireanIshin
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Moirean said:

Spinesreach has an idea for something they'd like to do with tasurke. Jensen thought it up. I just haven't gotten around to writing it up yet.

Just started my write up last night
    MoireanIshinXenia
    How many messages do you have?

I have 30k. Am I more popular/loved/hated/in trouble?