Newbie Q&A

Hello, everyone!  If you have questions or need help, don't hesitate to ask in this thread and myself or one of the friendly mentors will get back to you as quickly as possible!

Comments

• ReinhardReinhard Flanders, Belgium
    Greetings. I'm new to Aetolia. 10 years or so ago I played a lot of MUDs. Being a big fan of Vampire The Masquerade, Legacy of Kain etc I bumped into this mud. I started a character but the wiki left me a bit confused about a few things.
    If i'm a nightstalker this means i'll become a full fledged vampire later on. I presume this does mean i don't persay become a Bloodborn?
    Also can one become a warrior-archetype with the vampire/Nightstalker class or is one locked at focussing on powers/magic with the vampiric path?
  • Reinhard said:
    If i'm a nightstalker this means i'll become a full fledged vampire later on. I presume this does mean i don't persay become a Bloodborn?

As a nightstalker, you can, depending on how you are embraced, become either a Praenomen ("regular" vampire), or a Bloodborn, For the latter you'll need to join the guild, for the former just proceed as you are.
    Also can one become a warrior-archetype with the vampire/Nightstalker class or is one locked at focussing on powers/magic with the vampiric path?
    It is possible to be a vampire and have a different class (or even multiple classes). However, this means that you get the disadvantages of being a vampire (sun damage most notably) without the advantages - it's not a big deal, but I wouldn't really recommend this approach to a new player.

Mastema
  • Vampires are more of a physical (warrior) type class whereas the Bloodborn are your "magic" vampires.
  • ReinhardReinhard Flanders, Belgium
    Hmm okay thanks for the information! :)
  • Hello,

So I am switching over from Achaea and was wondering if anyone had any advice for guilds.

I am use to being evil and a knight...just not sure I want to do that again.
  • If you want to stick with it, Aetolia's Carnifex (closest thing to evil knights) is quite different from Achaea's iteration. The guild is also full of great roleplayers, and opportunities to take part in fun events within the guild itself.

If you're looking for something different from what you're used to for sure, you'll have to give a few more details! With some more details in regards to your interests, class mechanics/fighting styles you'd enjoy, I'm sure we'd be able to narrow down a fun list for you!

Moirean
  • Like physical combat...strategies like venom combinations...but don't want to be straight good or evil.

I picked Sentinel, seems like it would be a fun class. Carnifex looked good but I want something that is away from darkness but still kind of knight like in a sense as in weapon use if that helps.

Hope I picked a good class. Thoughts are welcomed
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    While you don't have to be straight good or evil, neutrality\gray doesn't really exist in Aetolia. Everyone picks a side - either Life or Undeath. Some conflicts are further refined down (light vs dark). Sentinel is probably a good choice, as that you can be savage, brutal, and still be 'good'. Duiran and Spinesreach typically are closer to gray than Enorian or Bloodloch either are. 

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• Sentinel by far is one of my favorite guilds to start newbies off with, you are a higher freedom being in the wilds and you can really go anywhere with the class besides you know straight up dark. The thing you should always remember though is once your name is out there and you do more with whatever guild you choose. It will be a part of your backstory. I do not know many guilds/orgs that shun novices for switching to find their nitch in the game, but there can be downfalls if you decide to move a lot. Biggest thing to remember though is find something you enjoy, we can offer you ideas and help you along, but overall you are the player of this game. Just have fun and roll with it. Speak in your channels, get assistance on aetolia history and your class.  Your Guildleader and Secretaries are there to assist but not coddle you. Have fun and welcome to Aetolia.

Jensen
  • Hello, I've just started playing and having lots of fun so far. I play on my phone, and I was wondering how far first aid curing would take me? Will it cover basics for hunting? I plan on buying a system eventually with in game earned credits, but a bit worried it would not be sufficient without a proper system when I am higher level.
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    First-aid will help you hunt, yeah. I used it to bash a lot when I first started playing again a couple of months ago, and it pretty much did fine for that. It's pretty configurable too, as far as what you want it to do - like when to sip health and eat moss, whether to auto-stand, auto-clot, etc etc. You won't be a top-tier PKer with it, but for bashing it's pretty boss :)
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    HavenAitaJeanne
  • Hullo,
    I keep getting kicked out if the game and asked to put my password in ect...and I'm no good with computers.Help?
  • Are you timing out? You can change that by doing TIMEOUT <#>, so set it to somewhere around 15 minutes. If you do anything within 15 minutes, it won't log you out automatically. Or are you having trouble staying connected?

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• Hey, just started and liking it so far. I'm a little confused. I navigated to a guild, and I believe joined. However I'm not sure what to do after lol.

Thanks
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    HELP GUILDNOVICE (your guild name here) will likely have some information, depending on your guild. There's also usually something similar to GHELP NOVICES in your GHELP files - just hit GHELP on its own and it will show you the directory.

You can also ask that very same question over NEWBIE or GNT - usually the best thing to start out doing is just acclimating yourself to the game. Go bashing in a newbie area, collect supplies and play with them to see what they do, try your hand at emoting and roleplaying and that sort of thing.

TASKS is a huge help in this, as it directly guides you (and rewards you! yay biscuits!) through completing a lot of basic stuff like curing, moving, quests, healing and talking.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Alice
  • HELP WHATNOW will also run you through a few basic ways of getting started.

i am rapture coder
  • Mumble. Vet of a different IRE mud, never played here. I've made like 3 new characters and just can't seem to get into the swing of things, as much as I really want to. Is there an organization that's most newbie welcoming that I can be pointed to? I love to roleplay, I love to PK, and I can play whatever kind of role the org is, I just need a little help getting started and having things explained in what is not novels of help files, eyes going cross eyed. Thanks for any input.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Join Templar, I help everybody! We've got a good set of people to help newbs about.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Also be sure to do the Academy. It's a great way to get an intro to the game.
    Ishin
  • Getting some serious rage building up here. >_> I keep getting huge bursts of lag, conveniently while bashing, making me die 5000 times more than necessary. Does cmud cause lag at all? I don't get it like this on Imperian. But it's getting old. >:(
    I haven't experienced that on CMUD save when the rest of my CPU or internet are having trouble. CMUD isn't as fast as Mudlet, but shouldn't be creating those kinds of problems.
    Asaraii said:

Getting some serious rage building up here. >_> I keep getting huge bursts of lag, conveniently while bashing, making me die 5000 times more than necessary. Does cmud cause lag at all? I don't get it like this on Imperian. But it's getting old. >:(

cMud itself can actually lag if you've got a lot of input coming in. It wouldn't surprise me if you saw it during a lesser, but bashing shouldn't be too bad unless there are like four or five people with you. It used to be a big deal during teamfights and stuff like that.

It takes getting used to, but I would recommend switching to Mudlet for Aetolia if you can. There are a couple of free systems here on the forums for it, and they're pretty decent for being free. Elyni has a link to her Entropy system in her thread(system download itself is under the changelog tab).

Most orgs here are generally pretty newbie friendly unless you're on during the off time. As for getting used to playing, is there any particular archetype that you like to play more than others, or does it not really matter at all?
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • I'll give mudlet a try and see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for pointing me towards systems @Ishin ! I definitely don't have the time I did back in the day to learn how to use mudlet like a pro.

I seem to gravitate to the 'darker' side of things, because I like the strict/serious roleplay it had (over there, anyway). My main was part of an elitist, racist family, and a 'Wrath' Order in a demonic city. Loved everything about it so hard, back in the good old days. Not so much now after a long break of inactivity. Also had a 'good' character I played regularly because I enjoyed that too. So I'd probably want to check out the other side of things too.

Started in the Indorani, but after a little help from my char's mentor, in a vampire House and Bloodloch. Both incredibly helpful already! Hard to determine how my roleplay is going to turn out, or if I'm going to stay interested in it once I get over the newbie experience, but I'm sure it'll work itself out!
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    The type of lag he's talking about wouldn't be from cmud especially as I doubt he has a huge system running.

That's odd that you're seeing it when you don't in impy as I think the severs are in the same place? Maybe changes went in when you lagged. Those can sometimes cause momentary lag.
  • Yeah, I'm not really a pro on figuring out why things do things. I'll probably see how it is later tonight or tomorrow and maybe it's the winter weather or something even. Dying repeatedly builds character. Asaraii needs all the character she can get right now. >:[
    @Asaraii - The weather around here has been balls lately, and it's been stomping on anything that's not a landline connection pretty hard(hello cellular modem that I use at home *weep*).

Sometimes around Howling(midnight GMT) there will be a little burst of lag for a few seconds, but usually it's just that one and then it's cleared up.

Mudlet itself isn't too hard to learn - it's really more of the UI differences. cMud was a lot more user-friendly and it lent itself a little more to learning on your own. Mudlet's more intended for people who already know a little something about coding. There are a couple of clans in the game where you can ask for help, though. If you need help with anything, you're always welcome to send me a msg or PM me here on the forums if you want, too.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Asaraii
    And figuring out with to do about variables because they don't exist as THINGS in mudlet and such forever stresses and confuses me because I am a wimp. Wheeze.

Asaraii
  • Just thinking about learning mudlet makes me want whiskey. Wimps unite!
    ArekaIshin
  • ^@4$!5%1-15[51[[1[1[5]6]6]166[1)!514$

Some cMud code to comfort you!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

IshinAsaraii
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    ^
    Find the error?
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.