An introduction to Carnifex

edited November 2014 in Roleplay Logs
Backstory:
Xenia just became the novice head and is trying to get people to be more involved with the novices. Two people join at the same time and she sends Cohort Vellarius to greet them, instructing him to ensure that they make their way to the barracks and into uniforms. She has also been thinking of aiding him to novice aide as he seems to want to be involved more and has decided to train him on how to give introductions.

---Xenia makes her way to the barracks----

Open-air barracks.
An iron chest is here, its engravings depicting the basics of Carnifex skills. Resting on the ground is a cube-shaped silver sigil. A slate board hangs here, listing tasks and messages for the Keep's recruits. Its lines sharp and utilitarian, a bed is against the northwest wall. Its lines sharp and utilitarian, a bed is against the southeast wall. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. Recruit Anisha is here. He wields a blackened warhammer in his hands. Recruit Laneen is here. She wields a blackened warhammer in her hands. Cohort Vellarius is here. He wields a blackened warhammer in his hands.

You have emoted: Xenia appears at the door, green eyes sweeping over the Recruits and Cohort in silent analysis.

Anisha removes a plain grey robe.

Laneen removes a plain grey robe.

Vellarius nods his head at Anisha.

Straightening into rigid, militant attention, Vellarius squares his shoulders and crisply salutes you.

Laneen shrugs into a black wool longcoat, fastening closed the hammer-and-halberd buttons along either side.

You have emoted: Raising a hand to return the salute, Xenia inclines her head, "As you were, Cohort."

Cohort Vellarius says to Recruit Laneen, "You need to WEAR a shirt, boots and a coat, Recruit. You'll freeze to death before I get to have any fun."

Vellarius gives a nod to Xenia. "Aye, Ser."

Laneen takes a Carnifex recruit's black leather shirt from a Carnifex recruit's gear chest.

Laneen slips into a black leather shirt, tightening its leather lacings to firmly adjust the fit.

ex laneen
She is a wise Rajamala.

(worn on the legs) : black leather soldier's pants
(covering the body) : a Carnifex's side-buttoning black wool longcoat
(covering the torso) : a Carnifex recruit's black leather shirt

ex anisha
He is a wise Rajamala.

(covering the torso) : a Carnifex recruit's black leather shirt
(covering the body) : a Carnifex's side-buttoning black wool longcoat
(worn on the legs) : black leather soldier's pants
(worn on the feet) : black leather hobnailed jack boots

Laneen takes black leather hobnailed jack boots from a Carnifex recruit's gear chest.

Laneen puts on black leather hobnailed jack boots.

You tell Vellarius, "Point out the beds tell them to select a bunk when they've dressed."

Vellarius nods his head at you.

Vellarius looks over the two recruits, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Well done. You can dress yourselves it seems."

Laneen nods her head emphatically.

Vellarius points over at a simple, spartan bed. "This is where you'll be staying, Pick a bunk and get used to it." He grins wickedly. "They're awfully hard. But they say it's better for your back."

Cohort Vellarius says, "Any questions so far?"

Recruit Anisha says, "None, Cohort."

Recruit Laneen says, "None."

Vellarius ponders the situation.

Cohort Vellarius says, "Very good."

You have emoted: Still remaining observantly silent, Xenia brings her arms to rest crossed about her chest. "Recruits," she finally speaks out, "I am your Kennel Mistress, and until you have found a Knight to sponsor you, it will be me that you will report to. Now that you are dressed and fit to present yourselves-" she strides into the room, planting herself beside Vellarius, "ATTENTION!"

Fixing himself in a disciplined position, Vellarius stands sharply at attention.

Fixing himself in a disciplined position, Anisha stands sharply at attention.

Cohort Vellarius says to you, "Shall we teach them the CARNISALUTE, Ser?"

You have emoted: Xenia's eyes fall to Vellarius, "Yes, that would be appropriate. Recruits, from this point on, when you come across a fellow Carnifex, you will salute them. Cohort," she instructs, "demonstrate this now."

Straightening into rigid, militant attention, Vellarius squares his shoulders and crisply salutes you.

You have emoted: Xenia's gaze shifts towards Laneen and Anisha expectantly. "Let's see how quick they learn," she comments to Vellarius.

The body of Laneen appears in a flash and her soul descends to fill it, causing the previously expressionless face to fill with emotion.

Vellarius bares his teeth in a feral grin.

Straightening into rigid, militant attention, Anisha squares his shoulders and crisply salutes you.

Laneen bows respectfully.

Vellarius points accusingly at Anisha.

Cohort Vellarius says to Recruit Anisha, "'Yes, like that."

You have emoted: Swiftly, Xenia's arm swings out, catching Laneen before she comes to a full bow. "Recruit," the Idreth's voice rings out, "You will never bow to another mortal again, stand straight and at ATTENTION."

Fixing herself in a disciplined position, Laneen stands sharply at attention.

Vellarius spits in disgust. "Carnifex bow before no mortal."

You have emoted: "Now let's see that CARNISALUTE," Xenia says to Laneen, "This is the proper way to greet your fellow Carnifex."

Straightening into rigid, militant attention, Laneen squares her shoulders and crisply salutes her fellow soldiers.

The corners of Vellarius's mouth turn up as he grins mischievously.

Straightening into rigid, militant attention, you square your shoulders and crisply salute your fellow soldiers.

Cohort Vellarius says, "Well done."

You have emoted: Xenia's chin drops but a fragment in approval, "They learn to salute quick," she decides, "let's see what else they can pick up on. Cohort, lead them to Wraithlord Gruxmal."

You begin to follow Vellarius.

Cohort Vellarius says, "Aye Ser."

Cohort Vellarius says to Recruit Laneen, "FOLLOW VELLARIUS."

You follow Vellarius to the southwest.
Stone passage to the recruit's quarters.
Resting on the ground is a cube-shaped silver sigil. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground.
You see exits leading northeast and northwest.

You follow Vellarius to the northwest.
A torch-lit tunnel through the rock.
Resting on the ground is a cube-shaped silver sigil. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground.
You see exits leading northeast, southeast, southwest, and northwest.

Laneen gives the world a smart salute.

You follow Vellarius to the southwest.
Cavernous martial hall.
A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. Resting on the ground is a cube-shaped silver sigil. Protected from head to toe by tattered armor, Wraithlord Gruxmal looms here. Suspended midair, an immense, multi-faceted soulstone is here, a large crack splitting it in two. Wraithlord Gruxmal is a tutor you can learn your skills from, view HELP LEARNING for more information.
You see exits leading northeast, southeast (closed pine door), southwest, and northwest (open pine door).

Fixing himself in a disciplined position, Vellarius stands sharply at attention.

Cavernous martial hall.
Vast enough to hold an entire army company, this large hall is clearly militant in design, with armor stands and weapon racks spaced around the chamber. The floor is planed smooth and grooved with faint ridges for traction during drills, with torches held in blackened iron sconces shaped like gauntleted fists casting a dim illumination. Shadowy archways lead to the offices and quarters for the fort's leaders, with the central nexus of the hall dominated by an immense, hovering black stone, its faceted faces appearing to drink in the light to cast a murky glow. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. Resting on the ground is a cube-shaped silver sigil. Protected from head to toe by tattered armor, Wraithlord Gruxmal looms here. Suspended midair, an immense, multi-faceted soulstone is here, a large crack splitting it in two. There are 2 carrion beetles here. Recruit Anisha is here. He wields a blackened warhammer in his hands. Recruit Laneen is here. She wields a blackened warhammer in her hands. Cohort Vellarius is here. He wields a blackened warhammer in his hands. Wraithlord Gruxmal is a tutor you can learn your skills from, view HELP LEARNING for more information.
You see exits leading northeast, southeast (closed pine door), southwest, and northwest (open pine door).
H:5273 M:3433 E:26400 W:17400 Mad:0% XP:93% [csdb eb]who here
You see the following people here:
Anisha, Laneen, Xenia, Vellarius

You can see the following 6 objects:
"monolith sigil93144" a monolith sigil.
"sigil133556" a cube sigil.
"Gruxmal177348" Wraithlord Gruxmal.
"soulstone182057" an immense, scarred soulstone.
"beetle180044" a carrion beetle.
"beetle180220" a carrion beetle.

You have emoted: "At ease," Xenia announces and she walks towards an immense, scarred soulstone, "Recruits, what do you know of the Carnifex?"

Recruit Laneen says, "Not much. We use hounds ser."

Vellarius uses Warhound Recall.
Vellarius lets out a sharp whistle for Sieg, a vicious warhound to return to his side.

Cohort Vellarius says, "Example A."

Recruit Anisha says, "Nothing yet, Ser."

You have emoted: "We do," Xenia agrees with Laneen, "We also harness the power of souls," she continues on, bringing her own hand to rest upon her chest, "and we do this with soulstones." With silent whispers she draws forth her soulstone, "much like this one."

You use Deathlore Summon.
A swirling mass of void-black darkness gathers in the space before you. Reaching forth, you casually withdraw your soulstone, returning it to your possession.

You display a pulsing soulstone for all in the room to see.

Laneen lays a hand upon an immense, scarred soulstone, its crystalline surface giving way and rippling as it swallows up the appendage. Her eyes cloud and her muscles slacken, a gut-wrenchingly pained expression gradually stealing over her face as the soulstone's blue pulses are amplified and a heavy aura settles in the room that makes it difficult to draw breath. At long last, she sputters and gasps, taking a much-needed inhale as she wrenches her hand out triumphantly, a swirling mass of void quickly solidifying into a spectral soulstone.

Wraithlord Gruxmal gives an icy hiss.

Laneen blinks.

You have emoted: "Our soulstones give us the ability to attack our opponents with greater speed, however," Xenia explains further, coming to a halt as Laneen steps forward, placing her hands on the massive soulstone. A smirk forms into the corner of the Idreth's lips, "Well that Recruit is eager," she says, "Laneen what did you feel when you touched that soulstone? You just forged your own, dive in head first without knowing the full sacrifice of the action-- A true Carnifex!"

Recruit Laneen says, "I felt a rush."

Vellarius utters a deep, rumbling laugh.

Laneen's mouth turns up as her face breaks into a smile.

Wraithlord Gruxmal gives an icy hiss.

You have emoted: Xenia gestures towards an immense, scarred soulstone, "This here is the master soulstone, forged from the souls of the slaughtered villagers of Jaru-- an event you will in time need to read about to advance. From the sacrifice of those villagers we were able to unlock the dark magic of deathlore. However forging our own," she pauses to nod towards Laneen, "we too make a sacrifice: A small percentage of our own souls." The Idreth takes wide steps to stand before Anisha, "Recruit," she says, "if this is a sacrifice that does not cause you to turn tail, then do as Recruit Laneen has done and touch the master soulstone."

Recruit Laneen says, "Permission to be out of this realm for a short while."

You nod your head at Laneen.

You say to Laneen, "Granted."

Laneen grows still and her lips begin to move silently.

Laneen is enveloped in translucent fire for a moment and is gone, her soul safe until she returns to Aetolia.

Anisha lays a hand upon an immense, scarred soulstone, its crystalline surface giving way and rippling as it swallows up the appendage. His eyes cloud and his muscles slacken, a gut-wrenchingly pained expression gradually stealing over his face as the soulstone's blue pulses are amplified and a heavy aura settles in the room that makes it difficult to draw breath. At long last, he sputters and gasps, taking a much-needed inhale as he wrenches his hand out triumphantly, a swirling mass of void quickly solidifying into a spectral soulstone.

Anisha gulps on instinct, turning his head slightly to glance down at his hand as it comes free from the soulstone.

You have emoted: Xenia nods curtly at Anisha, "No Carnifex would think twice of such a sacrifice," she announces, "Recruit Anisha shows promise yet." With these words the Idreth makes strides towards Wraithlord Gruxmal, "Recruit, there is a lot to learn yet, however, this would be best done by visiting the ACADEMY. When you have graduated, notify us for further instruction."

You say to Anisha, "Do you have have any questions, Recruit?"

Recruit Anisha says, "Just one, Ser."

Recruit Anisha says, "It is about the city of Bloodloch, and their requirement of me becoming undead, however that process goes."

Recruit Anisha says, "I don't know about making what sounds like a permanent decision so quickly, would it be best to perhaps take my leave from them now?"

Vellarius nods his head at Anisha.

Cohort Vellarius says, "Wisely put. This one's got a good head on her shoulders."

You have emoted: "Yes, they do require that you become undead," Xenia replies, head dipping in a nod. "As far as the Carnifex are concerned, we care little for what you choose-- it is a personal choice. Should you seek Undeath then you can remain living in Bloodloch, if you prefer to remain living then you will want to move to Spinesreach."

You have emoted: "That being said, you have some time to remain in Bloodloch and make the choice, if you don't want to be forced into a decision too soon on residency and the like," Xenia further adds.

Recruit Anisha says, "And will they have me, I would like to continue on to an academy."

You say to Anisha, "Whatever the case, I would recommend completing the Academy course here before moving or making any final decisions."

You nod your head emphatically.

Vellarius shakes his head.

You say to Anisha, "You will also get a chance to learn more about Undeath through the academy courses."

Cohort Vellarius says, "Bloodloch has no academy I thought."

You say, "I believe that it does."

Recruit Anisha says, "A representative from them told me it was best to decide before going to the academy."

You have emoted: "I see," Xenia says, musing the information. "Well, the course specific to Carnifex is in the Bloodloch Academy, it ultimately will not effect you should you attend the Academy in Bloodloch or Spinesreach," the Idreth explains, "and the concern is probably over which methods for curing you will be given as the living use plants whereas those who are undead eat organ slices."

Vellarius points to himself, grinning slyly. "As you can see by my devilish good looks, I'm a lifer."

Anisha glances slowly over Vellarius, nodding just slightly as his eyes rise back up, "We all have to have something, Cohort.

Vellarius grins mischievously at you.

You have emoted: "The Academies in both cities tend to also have a bit of a cultural flavor, to give you some insight on how the city operates." Xenia shrugs, "If you would rather remain living and start life off in Spinesreach, then I can induct you to that city, if you'd prefer to wait a bit on the choice and learn more about Bloodloch, then I recommend going through their Academy."

Cohort Vellarius says, "This one's going to be fun." He runs a hand though his hair, letting out a sigh.

Recruit Anisha says, "I'll take some time and see if they can convince me, or I'll be heading to Spinesreach."

You say to Anisha, "A wise choice, best to not close doors preemptively, I say."

Recruit Anisha says, "Thank you Ser, and Cohort."

You have emoted: Xenia raises her hand saluting Anisha, "Then you are dismissed. Let us know when you have completed the Academy, we'll give you further instruction."

Straightening into rigid, militant attention, Anisha squares his shoulders and crisply salutes his fellow soldiers.

Anisha leaves to the northeast.

Straightening into rigid, militant attention, Vellarius squares his shoulders and crisply salutes his fellow soldiers.

Cohort Vellarius says, "Well that went...well, eh?"

You have emoted: Xenia nods at Vellarius, "Yes, it went quite well," she agrees, "in fact, I think you have a knack for this. Are you interested in working as a novice aide?"

Vellarius smiles earnestly. "Whatever I can do to help the guild, Ser."

You say to Vellarius, "Your primary responsibility is to catch Recruits when they join and to give them introductions."

You nod your head at Vellarius.

You make Vellarius an aide.

Cohort Vellarius says, "Consider it done."

You have emoted: "Good, Cohort," Xenia replies, "I think you will find, too, that it will make you a better soldier as well. I will take my leave now, you are dismissed.

TozLimTeaniIaneaMoireanDrahkunaBakhtuh

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    That was awesome, Xenia! Good call, poking me to make you HoN, you have a real knack for it - you explained basic concepts well, while keeping it fun and themed in a way that illustrates what the guild is about. Spot on.

Re the Academy, I think newbs would be better staying in the city their guild is in. I'm pretty sure the curatives swap (ie if you're undead you get undead and living get living) and curatives are cheap anyways. You can only get the guild course at the matching city Academy, and I think that's far more important to experience.
  • My favorite part was the two of you correcting Laneen when she bowed. Great log. Really makes me want to try the guild out.
    MoireanXenia