Cake? Yes, please.

Comments

• It is a well known fact that calories consumed on Thanksgiving don't count.
    JamiTrager
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Tricksy wording. They may not count on Thanksgiving but they sure do show up the day after.

Aryanne
  • edited November 2014
    So, I have officially begun the "Low Carb, High Fat lifestyle" (also called the Scandinavian diet, the Swedish diet, the ketosis diet). I refuse to go with "diet", because despite my knowing I need to stick with whatever forever, somewhere in my head "diet" is a temporary thing.

According to everything I've read (I've been kinda obsessive since Saturday) I can allot myself one 'cheat day' a month and should still maintain the ketosis this diet is meant to encourage. I'm very excited that boyfriend has agreed to do this with me, cause I'm sure I'd fail otherwise. We did a lot of shopping over the weekend, and I am giving away my remaining rice and high-protein pasta and shooting for less than 10 grams of carbs a day.

So far, I am absolutely in love with this, because all my happy-indulgent foods are in the clear! I have been working up from merely tolerating to sincerely liking meat for the past year (having meat that isn't shit helps). I'll weight myself after two weeks and both indulgent-thanksgiving has passed and my body has worked into adjusting to the lack of carbs and see if I am WAY overeating or not. Hoping for not... but we'll see!

Upside last week: deciding on food future, Got exercise every day!

Downside: Forgot lunch at work twice and ate out.. Shame on me.

Goals: keep up with food, keep up with moving around and being less sedentary.

EDIT: apparently attempting to spoiler for length just disappeared a whole paragraph... aaaand I just figured out why... Stupid less than symbol

NolaIaneaMariena
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    My friend did that diet for a while she lost so much weight I want to kill her.
    Aryanne
  • You can doooo ittttt!
    AryanneMariena
  • It's always great to have a plan!
    Mariena
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I'm Swedish and I don't think I could manage that kind of diet. I love pasta too much to give that up. :(

• @Aryanne low carb is absolutely fantastic, but word of warning: try as hard as you can not to slip. After a few days without cheating you'll find your appetite slowly disappearing, and when you do eat it won't take nearly as much to fill you up. This is obviously great and everything, but I found that when I would slip up by accident it just brings all the cravings (and weight) back faster than ever.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    Aryanne
  • *nod* I agree @aldric Basically, I have alloted myself one "event" each month to "not be that guy" during (Thanksgiving, ChristmasORNewYears, Brother's Birthday, My Birthday, Other Brother's Birthday, etc.etc. (our family's birthdays are very conveniently spaced at roughly a-month-apart). Thankfully, I've really never been into cake or soda, so it's just "whatever meal they're serving, I don't have to be a snob and not eat"

Weekly Wrapup: This week mostly better! Cat can not be found though, sad face.

Weight lost: 31!!!!!!!!!!! < My doctor wanted me to lose 30 by the New years! Weirdly, the scales have said I've lost 6.1 pounds this week. This is confusing to me. I've even changed the batteries on the scales and re-weighed to make sure it's accurate and it hasn't wavered.

Downside of the week: I can't find my Leo. He goes outside and he hasn't been seen in three days.

Upside of the week: Suddenly jumping off the plateau

Status of last week's goal: Complete!

Goal for next week (Nov 26-Dec 3) Continuing the trend! Not letting Thanksgiving side line me, while enjoying!

AryanneNolaEmelle
  • WOOOO! Go Mariena! Also - Awww :( I hope your Leo comes back today :/ Kitties away is scary and sad

TeaniMarienaEmelle
    Oh the regret. There is regret in my belly right now. Delicious, pumpkin-y regret.

Leo still has not returned :(

• I know those feels, @Mariena. My Becky cat still hasn't returned and it's hitting a week now.

I'm doing good for today! Gonna keep on going! I made an awesome butternut squash casserole, omg. Apparently everyone else loved it too because I have like.. a bowl left of it. I'll share the recipe with you guys later!

I'm not stopping here. I'm going to hit 140lbs, and it's going to be sooner rather than later. I just wonder if I can make it before the new years. I think I can!
    IaneaEmelle
  • Well, I've been back on the horse for a week now... And lemme tell you, I love the shit out of this horse.

I paid no attention to calories before thanksgiving, but still managed to lose 4 lbs (maybe water weight? But, whatever) Gained it alllll back on Thanksgiving, which was cheat day for the month (and so worth it. OM NOM NOM! I have professional chef friends who throw it every year. It is awesome.)

Since Thursday, I took the advice of a couple of the websites I look to for "what to eat" suggestions, etc. and tracked my calories, since they DO still matter even if, in theory, you're not supposed to "have" to count them. It seems like I won't need to worry about it too much, though, since my natural eating habits on this are apparently right in line with how much I'm supposed to be eating! I'll continue counting for a week or two, and as long as I'm on par, I'll let that slide because it'll get pretty annoying by then. Since Thursday, I've been good and have shrunk down to just above my pre-thanksgiving weight.

WEIGHT: 180

Last weeks goal: Nailed it!

Next week's goal: lose 2 pounds, walk/Jog at least 3xs the week, Jumping jacks/crunches to break sitting long periods every day

MarienaNolaEmelle
  • Weight lost: 3 pounds (Yeah, I caved and stepped on the scale.)

Upside: Been having some pretty delicious green smoothies most mornings for breakfast.

Downside: The little one still has a cough, so sleep can still be pretty erratic. Comparatively.

Last goal: I did set up an app with some reminders to prompt me to remember to do things. And it has helped.

Next goal: Keep being at least a little active each day and keep up with healthy breakfasts.

Total lost: 25 pounds!

Weight to go: 25 pounds

The half way point of this first goal feels awesome. And the quarter mark for my overall goal of about 100 pounds.
    EmelleMarienaNolaAryanne
  • Dietland was still awesome this week, but I am seriously considering buying a chest freezer.

The hardest part for this diet: I am a laaaazy ass mother fucker in the morning if I have to go to work. As such, I really thrive on having lunch/breakfast super fast and easily preparable/microwavable. I've a few very-simple breakfast go-tos on this: slice of lunch meat rolled with cream cheese/braunsweiger/avocado.

And, I -can- make another 2 or 3 of those, toss in a container and bam-lunch... I feel the lazy bug hit and doesn't want me to. Also, it is very satisfying to me to have a warm/hot lunch. Something heated for lunch at cold work-land just... makes me so happy and content. Also helps me resist the urge to eat out tremendously.

That said, I tuckered through this week just fine, and the one day I forgot lunch, I ran to the store and grabbed some cheese and chicken vienna sausages(not particularly GOOD for me, but easy, cheap, no prep required and diet-cohesive).

Weight: 179 - Whee! (it's kinda buoyed between 177 and 179, but I prefer to count high)

Next week goal: Continue to prep lunches the night before for work, and see about breakfast pre-prepping as well.

I have started looking at a lot of random home-maker blogs with tons of suggestions and info about freezer meals/handy meals to grab and go, etc. So useful, blogging world!

NolaMarienaEmelle
  • Not much to update with besides I dropped down finally to 146. Feels like an age, and because of that struggle I have my doubt's it will stick..

I've even cut back on a lot of my diet-ruiners and upped my exercise for.several weeks now. Felt a lot like walking in place and getting nowhere.

Downside of this week. After being so diligent with exercise with little turnout and cramped schedule I havent done anything for three days now (counting today, but today is yet another unfortunate event - I'm sick).

I dislike how stressful Christmas is, as a side note - especially when Christmas doesn't feel like Christmas.
    Aryanne
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Nola - Stress will actually cause you to gain/retain weight, too. Being sick and dieting is also usually not-so-good.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    EmelleAryanne
  • Whee! Happy land of nearly-effortless weight management continues on my front.

Weight: 177

Downsides this week: My Mother's birthday became a cheat-day, however, I have allotted 2 this month, so, all is still well and even though we went out to eat, I still easily found stuff on the menu that would apply to me. Also, dessert was cheesecake. I feel no guilt. It was delicious.

Upsides: My sister and Mother have been impressed by my results and keep asking me questions about my eating habits and seem mildly interested in joining Foodquest: Eat Delicious Things which has been fun to spew the obsessively logged information about this diet at them. Makes me feel less like I filled my brain with info for minimal import

Another downside: Totally f'ed up my neck early last week (fell asleep on the couch and woke up in agony) so exercise has been a fat NO. On the bright side, I've had 3 massages and 3 chiropractic visits in 8 days. (My neck was pretty sad already, this just kinda broke the camel's back). I can function without pain meds today, so things are definitely improving.

• I started zumba. I love it.
    There is a community center where I water flowers that has them every Tuesday and Thursday from 6-7pm. Its relatively cheap too, 3$ every time.

I've been both times this week, sad they are going on a two week hiatus for Christmas.

I stopped the bad habit of not eating all my 1200 calories I was doing unintentionally. My weight has been dropping. The scale was 144lbs this morning. That's the sign I have been waiting for! Whatever I'm doing right now seems to work. If I'm super lucky I'll hit my goal by new years. Then I can set a new one! I love having goals.

As a side note.. If there is anyone feeling discouraged about their progress - I understand, I have been there, and it isn't easy what you are all doing by any means. There is little fun in having to cut things out of your life, make sacrifices, and fight with random cravings every day while still being analytically focused on what you can have and dealing with the plateaus.

But you also remember, I'm sure, the first sign of hard work paying off - the inches dropping, old clothes fitting, the compliments and the rise in confidence. So just keep that in mind! You have slipups - it happens. Hopefully you won't end up in my shoes of having to go through a whole year of recommitment when around this same time last Christmas, I was where I am now, so close, and slacked off for a handful of months to lose that.

I'm not going to let that happen again.

IshinMarienaAryanne
    Thank you, Nola. These are boosters and reminders that I need to read from time to time and you're an inspiring lady to hear it from, because you're saying 'I've BEEN there.'

Updates from me: I'm stalled at 245. This is actually a lovely stall, because I -swore- I was going to be heavier after Thanksgiving. These holidays have been very hard for me so far, as there hasn't been a day in three weeks where I haven't been in a car, working, or doing something of that nature. Finding the -energy- to exercise after that is difficult.

Nola
  • I love your comment, Nola

2ish years ago I was, while not watching what I was eating, working out a lot and I was in amazing-for-me shape, and around 170. I tried to keep up with it, but damn if "life" didn't get me unmotivated and I just did whatever I wanted and there I was in the 190s.

I ran into this little "word graphic" thingy on the facebook page that prompted this thread, and for whatever reason, it motivated me really well, so I figured I'd share on the off chance that someone else hasn't seen it (there's a crapload of versions, this was the first Google found for me)

NolaIshin
  • My weight dropped again today to 143. Now, its been spaced out lb by lb and not in chunks, but still, its several over only a few days.

I remain skeptical but hopeful.
    Mariena
    I've been stuck on the same weight for a long time now, but it's at least five kilos down from where I started and I am not gaining that back. With all the unicorns that have messed with my life this fall I'm still rather pleased with that and might actually be motivated to get this going again after funeral is over and the new year starts. Sadly I will not make my goal before Christmas though.

MarienaAryanne
    edited December 2014

The Start of a new Year

We're going to start this on this Sunday, and we're going to continue our epic journey into good health together. Who's with me?!

We -got- this, Ladies and Gents (and those in between!).

For the Week of:

Dec. 28, 2014 - Jan. 3, 2015

Current Weight (lbs):

Naked weight:243.6
    Clothed weight: 246.2

Where I started (lbs):

Where I want to end up (lbs):

WEEKLY GOALS:

My weekly goal for coming into the New Year is to get back on track with snacking and water consumption. There have been so many delicious goodies, recently! I haven't done horrible, but I could do better, and I need to start drinking the right amount of water again, as that has slipped into only 32 oz instead of 64+ I had been doing.

HILIGHTS OF LAST WEEK:

Last week was Christmas and I truly honestly wish I could say it was a magical time full of family, but alas. Our family had a bunch of drama centered around the elder brother and his new wife. So, I will say the food was delicious, and there were definitely good moments, like watching my little brother open his present from me. He loved it.

LOWLIGHTS OF THE WEEK:

Drama. Drama. Draaaaama. On one hand, my back is clear the hell out of alignment so I'm not hungry at all because it makes my belly hurt.. Good for not snacking! On the other hand.. I snacked anyway. stress snacked.

I played with the formatting of the questions. I'm just going to continue to use this here thread as a weekly journalling update to keep me on track. I'm sharing with you the pounds that I weigh, the pounds that I started, and the pounds I want to get to. I am a big girl and that's okay.

Something else I want to focus on in the coming year - and I think it's something we ALL should focus more on - is not my goal and how far away and how I'm still well overweight even with hitting that goal, but acceptance of MYSELF from the inside out. I think we should all take a moment during these updates and do the last section that I'm adding in:

I like #THIS# about Myself This Week:

I like that I didn't punch my brother's new wife and the cops did not need to be called on my family, this Christmas.

As you can see, this isn't as focused as it could be on me, and it's quite silly. I think this process of gaining health and growing healthier, making good choices, and exercising is great, it's wonderful, and it's beneficial. It's also damned mentally challenging. Take a moment to self love with me. That can even be as dirty as you perverts want.

I'll be taking up the whole dropping weight again in the new year, so I'm with you, @Mariena. I even got myself a really nice pair of running/walking shoes for when weather permits. Before then I'll be concentrating on a small ab-challenge and toss in some small exercises for arms and legs. As usual, I suck at converting weight, so I'll be reporting in kilos. Also, I might not report that much, but if you haven't gotten at least a report on weight-loss (which would be one single line to write however embarrassing it may be!) poke me until I do!

Starting weight: 95 kilos

Current weight: 91 kilos (damn Christmas food made me gain one!)

Desired weight: 75 kilos (but at least 80 would be good!)

Mariena
    Awesome, Thanks @Teani! Only one isn't bad at -all-, I wouldn't fuss too hard on that ^^. You could fluctuate that off in a day, too.

Teani
  • Ending out 2014

Weight: 177

Downsides this week: I dunno if I want to say this is a DOWNSIDE, but Christmas eve was all sorts of my cheat day. I ate everything I wanted and didn't feel a damn bit guilty. It was awesome. For Chrstimas itself, I ate my new-normal

Upsides: My Neck is doing much better now with my chiropractor and massages, but then I went and f'ed up my knee right as my neck was healing.... Like... really? Really? It's doing better again now, so I can finally go and get some reasonable exercise again. There's an upside in there, I swear.

I think that upside is that even though I've been an epic bump on a log, I've still kept up with the weight loss. Woo!

I like @mariena's point of "self love" moment.... But I almost feel bad that it's too easy and feel like so conceited!
    Buuuut, lemme see. I got on a good kick and organized the hell out of my tiny apartment the day after Christmas while I'm normally not tidy at all. I have many very redeeming features (so my mother tells me) "Tidyness" and "cleanliness" are not some of them.

TeaniMariena
  • I'm not going anywhere! Once this goal's up, whenever that shall come to pass, another is right there in my future!

You'll all hear something more official from me on New Year's, so until then, here's the wrap up for the year:

I started at around 160lbs within this thread, and I've knocked my weight back down to a fluctuating
    145-147. But I'm not complaining, because that's fantastic, just as you've all done.

I'm probably healthier and more fit than I've ever been in my whole life. I can't wait for Zumba to start back on the 5th!

I did enough damage to temporarily throw me off track this Christmas, but you know, it could have been worse, and I know I can get back to the point I was at because I've already been there once~!

Happy Near Year, you guys, let us make the best of it!

TeaniEmelleAryanneMarienaMelantha
  • edited January 2015
    Like I promised, here's my official New Year goals and plans overview for 2015:

- Hit my weight goal of 140lbs
    - TONE IT UP. Because I have lost a great deal of weight, (starting at 215lbs to now, making 68lbs lost at 147) I have that unpleasant side effect of loose skin. It's not terrible, really, very minor. But it's enough that I notice, being as critical as I am. Being that I'm so close to 140, that'll end up being the main theme for this year.
    - Then begin a new weight goal, of 130lbs. The ideal weight I'd like to have.
    - Go to Zumba regularly
    - Maintain healthy eating habits
    - Jog at least three times a week, an hour per. 30minutes minimum.
    - Be able to do real planks. Not my pathetic bed planks because I'm too weak.
    - Be able to do real push ups. Not my pathetic wall push ups because I'm too weak.

All of this might seem relatively small in terms of goals (like, able to do push ups, really?) but as a person who has never really aspired for physical capability, it's admittedly.. difficult. That's embarrassing to say, but I don't really care at the same time. The only thing I care about is succeeding, because I don't plan on failing.

So starting off the year:

For the Week of:

Jan. 1, 2015 - Jan. 8, 2015
    Current Weight (lbs): 147

Where I started (lbs):
    215 (This was when I initially started my weight loss venture before this thread was made, in 2012. To give you all that perspective, I didn't lose that 68lbs in even one year, it's taken me nearly 3)

Where I want to end up (lbs):

WEEKLY GOALS:

I'm with @Mariena on this one. Since Christmas, my eating habits have scrambled along with my sleep schedule and my water consumption to the point I'm all topsy turvy. I haven't been eating as much as I should be, but still going over my sugars and fats. I'm not drinking enough water, so I get dehydrated a lot, because ontop of that I've been snacking on very high sodium foods. This in turn also really screws with my water retention and actual scale weight. So yes, after today, because this is the first day of the New Year, and thus, a celebration, all of those things will be accounted for in the rest of the week along with yet again, regular exercise (I slipped on that too, after Christmas).

HIGHLIGHTS OF LAST WEEK:

LOWLIGHTS OF THE WEEK:

Plenty of negatives. I'll be trying to turn them all back around into positives.

I like #THIS# about Myself This Week:

I think I'll wait until the end of this first week before including this bit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I will be including pictures here shortly.

So because I never put up full bodies, in the spirit of the New Year:

TragerSerriceMinaretMelanthaIaneaTenshyoEzalor