Cake? Yes, please.

Comments

• Most fruit juices are chock full of sugar too, esp concentrates - but that's to be expected. If I want to get my fruit on, I pick up some happy squeezes at the store with the fruit and veggie
    I'm particularly fond of the beet, strawberry and something something one. I think its pear and kiwi. I'm also fond of the pomegranate and salba one.

I've found a Greek yogurt I actually like instead if 'can tolerate' and its the Dannon light and fit Greek yogurts. I still can't eat the fruit ones but I'm fine with the vanilla, toasted coconut and chocolate cherry ones.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I haven't updated this in a while, so here we go...

Weight lost: 1 kilo

I'm down below my first goal mark, lowest I've been in a few years, I think. I suspect it will drop quite a bit as it is, as I've bumped into some rather heavy personal issues and lost just about all apetite and motivation. At least I still get out of bed, let the sun into my room and go outside my apartment every day, which is good. Using new holes in my belt and I've had comments about having lost weight, so apparently it shows.

I've focused on the things that keep me alive, fun things, like painting and so on. Trying to be a bit social so I don't walk down that dark path I know all too well. It's not too easy, but I try. If you see me around, send me happy thoughts and help me keep my mind on the good things. A week and a half more until my daughter comes here and I can restock on healthy hugs.

Total lost: 6 kilos
    Left to go: 14 kilos (at least)

Aryanne
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    edited October 2014
    I just wanted to add something in here, since it's been working (undeliberately) for me. Because of my gallstones, I've had to be on a low-fat diet. Basically, cutting out red meat, eggs, pork, greasy foods, and most cheese. I've lost almost 10 pounds in a month without exercising.

For breakfast, I usually do a dry cereal - honey nut cheerios or chex mix. Lunch? Uncrustables, leftover home-cooked meals (like mushroom and bean tacos with just some taco sauce, soups/crock-pot meals), or a healthy choice from fast food (like grilled chicken with a baked potato - no butter). Dinner? Home-cooked meals or low-fat choice of something pre-made (I check Sat Fat and Sodium). I snack on fruit snacks, pretzels, yogurt, popcorn, actual fruit, nuts, or cereal.

In general, I just note these things because it's not just helped with the losing of weight - I've been starting to gradually feel healthier. I will treat myself to some of the non-low-fat items sometimes, but am careful with how much I eat of them. Or, I make them at home (like pizza) to control the fat. It's not necessarily ideal for a busy lifestyle, but I have found it to be great. If anyone wants recipes, I can provide some that I've tried and like.

Aryanne
  • edited October 2014
    I don't know how many of you are on a tight budget, but I'm a poor person and dieting and eating healthy can be really hard on limited income. So I thought I would share the foods I usually eat during the week that I make and take to work with me.

I have eaten so much canned/pouched tuna and chicken that its ridiculous. But both have no carbs, high protein, low calories, plus.the omega benefits. I hate mayo and I can't do dry and bland. So I've experimented with my favorite healthy additions.

My recent favorite is something I discovered yesterday changing it up;

I take a basic can on chicken (10 oz hormel 98% fat free: 45 cal per serving. 5 service total) and some sliced baby Bella mushrooms. I put the mushrooms on a pan and grill them for a bit, and then later I the chicken with a little bit.of curry powder and put that on top.of the mushrooms. I chop baby red and yellow bell peppers (a bag of these is way less expensive than one big one) as well as cilantro and put that in a container with 1/4 cup feta and 2.5 tablespoons of guacamole. After a bit I mix it all together. Its delicious. Today I added lemon juice to the pan over the chicken and.mushrooms. glad I did.

I also like to use Dijon mustard (preferably stone ground) and sometimes chopped cucumbers and kalamata olives but lately I've decided I could do without the cucumbers altogether. Mustard is amazing. 

I stock up on the dannon yogurt that's 5/6$ at publix and eat it as snacks and breakfast. Sometimes I also get a few happy squeezes. I take about two bottles of 1 liter water with me as well. 

That's essentially what I eat every day when I'm working. I space it out enough that it can get me through a 7-8 hour shift.

I also love butternut squash soup. Progresso's artisan brand is good and Amy's organic Thai coconut is a nice choice as well. Swanson also has new flavored chicken broth with recipes on the carton. Their Thai ginger one I made and it was pretty decent. The canned chicken I put in it was very tender and flavorful and not dry at all. 

I shop at a nicer food market near my house because I hate walkmart so I spend a little bit more but about once to twice a week (depending on what I run out of)  I usually spend less than 40$ on groceries.
    Aryanne
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Weekly Wrap-up: I haven't gone up. I haven't gone down. I have just sort of spun my wheels.

Weight lost: 16 pounds

Downside of the week: No loss!

Upside of the week: No upside, been hard week.

Status of last week's goal: More water: complete. More three mile walks: Complete. Less weighing: Eh, we won't talk about that.

Goal for next week (Oct 15 - Oct 22): Stay away from the white flour items a little more securely. I slacked with a low sodium pasta, poptarts, and fucking iced animal cookies (so good, why you so good). I think if I do this, the weight will start lowering again as it should.

Also, maybe find a new exercise video to do so my muscles (hah! muscle) don't get used to the same thing.

AryanneNola
  • Weight lost: 2 pounds

Upside: I seem to be getting slightly more regular sleep which is having a good effect on my mood at least.

Downside: I'm having a hard time getting back into the better food routine that I had before going away.

Last goal: We're still doing sleep training. It's nerve wracking trying to comfort her in the crib while she just cries when I know if I just pick her up she'll stop, but then she won't sleep. (And then I don't sleep. Sad.) Hopefully it will improve or we'll get into the sleep clinic soon.

Next goal: Clean the fridge. (I don't know why but I find it easier to eat better with a cleaned and organized fridge.) Go to the store and pick up the good for me foods that I like.

Total lost: 19 pounds

Weight to go: 31 pounds

I am pretty happy that I'm nearly at 20 pounds, hopefully next week.
    AryanneNola
    Weekly Wrap-up: I never realized that I am so terrible at math, but I am.

Weight lost: 19.5

Downside of the week: Thinking I did so bad all week!

Upside of the week: Crafty week, happy week.

Status of last week's goal: Achieved.

Goal for next week (Oct 22 - Oct 29): Incorporate some weights into my routine.

AryanneIanea
  • Awesome @Mariena! I've been pondering carving out a little bit of time each day to do something crafty. I used to love it and I picked up crochet while my daughter was in the hospital. Chilly weather is just begging for some adorable new hats.

Busy mind and hands are not looking for food to snack on.
    MarienaAryanneEmelle
    @Ianea - You should :D. Crochet is something I can not master, though I try and try, props to you for being crafty like that. It's a super portable craft too which is just a bonus in my book. You are very right about busy minds and hands. I lose hours to crafting sometimes. Hours.

IaneaAryanneFaerah
  • Weight lost: 2 pounds (Apparently I'm back on track with this again. Woo!)

Upside: Planned out good meals for the week. I made some super delicious, moist pork chops on saturday and pulled pork in the slow cooker on sunday. I'm also pretty excited because my dad is getting my husband and I a blendtec blender for christmas/birthdays. I can't wait to get my hands on it and start making green smoothies and other things!

Downside:Unfortunately we're back to less sleep and it's cold, wet and stormy out.

Last goal: I got distracted from cleaning out the fridge by organizing papers. So many papers. But we did pick up good foods.

Next goal: Finish organizing the papers then hopefully do the fridge.

Total lost: 21 pounds

Weight to go: 29 pounds

Woo, over 20 pounds gone!
    NolaMarienaFaerah
  • Current weight: 182 (that's going up, wrong direction, derp.)

Downsides of the week: Missed/forgot lunches both weeks *sigh* Ate out just waaay too much. In said eating out, did not watch the 'what' I was eating nearly as much as I should have

Upside of the week: I do think I've been doing a lot better at -what- I'm eating, just eating a wider variety of foods regarding lots of greens and meats (I've tended to be a bit sparse on the meats, which leads to kinda-lower hematocrit levels). Have discovered reasonably priced bison! :D Have learned bison is an awesome meat option for me - super low fat, really high in protein and iron! And since I live in the USA, it's almost all relatively-local, and very low carbon-output animal (I'm a bit of an environmentalist, so I care about these things)
    Also! Have been better about getting more exercise again!

Next week's goals: I have decided to initiate (with boyfriend's assistance and support) No eating out until-December (We're calling it "no-eat-out-November but since we're starting now, it's not an entirely accurate phrase) And I -think- I can do this well! Where I think I will struggle most with this is my morning coffee... Must. Not. Starbucks.

NolaIanea
  • I keep thinking I should give an update here. The only thing is nothing has changed, at all, including my weight. Ah, plateau 150, we meet again - how I loathe you.

I go between 148-150.

I think I just need to start jogging again, just been too busy between jobs.
    Ianea
    @Nola - I hear you. This week has all been about plateau land.

Weekly Wrap-up: I fubarred my back and couldn't do much without the world tilting randomly or greying out on me. It's not fun.

Weight lost: 20

Downside of the week: Stupid back

Upside of the week: I lost half a pound. Gained back two, and then went right back to 20 pounds lost.

Status of last week's goal: Achieved.

Goal for next week (Oct 29 - Nov 5): See 12 pounds gone at the Doc's office weigh in. I haven't hit it yet, I don't know if I can with how my spine is right now, but I'mma try.

Ianea
    Weekly Wrap-up: Coming to terms with the fact that I sometimes obsess over everything.

Weight lost: 22-23

Downside of the week: Stupid back, part 2

Upside of the week: I am steadily and slowly losing again.

Status of last week's goal: Will be edited tomorrow. At the moment, no.

Goal for next week (Nov 5 - Nov 12): Relaxation. Stress stores fat. Repeat as mantra.

I am going to share another photo, this one with numbers. The Shys are attacking hardcore at sharing a photo with actual weight pounds attached, but here we go.

And a very imgur like cat-tax

AryanneIaneaTeaniEmelle
    Weekly Wrap-up: Half way to my original goal! Oh man so, This has been nothing but struggle, especially with my body rebelling, but I got down another 2 pounds (when weighed in the morning) and I am now sitting pretty at the halfway point on that counter in my sig.

Weight lost: 25!

Downside of the week: I have had a craving for all that is chocolatey.

Upside of the week: Woo Hoo Benchmark!

Status of last week's goal: Complete!

Goal for next week (Nov 12-19): A hard push for at least 2 pounds, before Thanksgiving bombs me.

And, again photo time! I bought this pink coat last year and could barely zip it up.

IaneaAryanneEmelleFaerah
  • edited November 2014
    Sooo..

This thread has been overall, quieter and quieter.

We get busy though, so that's okay and all.

Time for me to be honest about my shortcomings here now that I conceded them to myself.

I have been getting lazy, and finding excuse upon convenient excuse to be less and less dedicated. Its a bad spiral, it creeps up on you, slowly working you backwards instead of forward. I pay close attention to the changes in my body though because I have always been acutely aware of how 'undesirable' (and what level of undesirable) my body is to me.

So thankfully I'm catching this now before I blow what progress I have made. I have been safely teetering at the incredibly frustrating plateau of 150. Though, today, it was 153, and very apparent. Coupled with the bad stroke of depression lately, well. Blah!

Things add up over time, so I'm stopping myself now and changing things up a bit and recommitting myself to making this happen. Instead of focusing on the number I want, I'm going to focus on the steps - like jogging regularly, as regularly as I can, and cutting out the sugary stuff I load my coffee up with because I hate coffee and only drink it to keep me warm, as well as not hitting up the bar after work so much (this will also ease the wounds of my bank account during an already expensive time of the year) annnd.. Not skipping meals. I stopped making my food and taking it with me. I stopped making sure to have my water ready to go. I'd eat random, not terrible for me, gas station snacks (like popcorn and kraft mozzarella string cheese) ..neither of which is particularly filling, BTW.

I will also begin conquering my hatred of eggs and compromising a bit to allow for them to go on toast for breakfast because yogurt got old, which I strangely enjoy besides 'just' eggs.

I need new food plans. Minimal is good, but I'm SO TIRED OF CHICKEN SALAD EVERY DAY.
    EmelleMarienaIaneaAryanneSerrice
  • Yeah it has been @Nola.

There are some decent looking healthy breakfast casserole recipes or home made bars. I saw this one recently which I keep meaning to try and a pumpkin one I can't seem to find again. http://asweetlife.org/recipes/zucchini-sausage-breakfast-bake/ Also if you can easily make the switch from coffee to green tea, supposedly it's great for you and would also keep you warm. But I don't know if you do coffee just because it's conveniently there at your work.

I'll second you with the getting lazy. I'm stuck at the 22 pounds lost mark for the last few weeks though I am not nearly as close as you are. (Would still like to lose somewhere in the ball park of 78 more pounds.)

I think one thing that I need to do is become much more organized, as my daughter has special needs and requires certain amounts of time each day in things like her standing frame and doing physio so I never seem to have the time. I'd like to get an app that would allow me to list everything I need to do in a day, check it off, apply alarms to some things or times they should be completed at, and allow me to highlight things that are important like doctors appointments. If anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it!

If anyone else is interested I'd like to set up more of a daily accountability through PM's. I don't want to spam this thread.

So a few goals for the next bit. 1. Get more organized. 2. Don't step on the scale until the new year. (Too focused on the number rather then the healthy steps.) 3. Eat a healthy breakfast every morning. 4. Do squats and pushups until failure at least once this week so I have a comparison for later.

Hopefully we can all get re-motivated. And @Mariena you're looking awesome, 25 pounds down is wonderful!
    Aryanne
    @Nola - You can do it don't give up! You're so close!
    @Ianea‌ - Thank you!
    @Aryanne @Teani - Where you ladies at? Have you reached your goals?

Weekly Wrapup: Brother came to visit from Alabama. He causes stress and stress causes me to eat. While I didn't gain any back. I certainly haven't moved forward either.

Weight lost: 25

Downside of the week: Stupid brother and his stupid snide remarks.

Upside of the week: Haven't went up any.

Status of last week's goal: Non-completion.

Goal for next week (Nov 19-26): A hard push for at least 2 pounds, before Thanksgiving bombs me. Maybe I can get it done this week! I've repainted my room and haven't been eating much at all. Naughtiness should balance itself out from this past weekend of hell with the oldest brother.

IaneaEmelleNola
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Still here, struggling some. I have managed to drop 2 more kilos though, so I guess that's something. However, I do think it's mostly due to stress, which is not so good. Thankfully I have Aetolia to help take some of the edge off when it comes to stress levels! I'm also moving about a lot more thanks to my job. Teaching keeps me on my feet.

IaneaEmelle
  • I have also been in the "stuck" range at 182. This is totally my fault for being a lazy bum lately, plus Freakin'-Cold-and-Dark November discouraging any kinda of evening exercise... Excuses excuses.

I've also not been nearly careful enough with my eating.

Much like @ianea and @nola, I've been slowly slipping from healthy habits, with excuses like those above. Not that "Eating out twice a month" is horrible for me (I've already saved SO MUCH from eating in, I'm finally coming in under budget so far in those categories).

I know that I don't eat a crazy-lot... where my crutch of "where I want to be" versus "where I am" lies in my lack of exercise... Trying to find something fun and that I'm motivated to go do and don't just grit-my-teeth-and-bear with the mantra of "Tomorrow me will be happy I did this today!"

This week, I've been doing well at working in squats/lunges/jumping jacks into my very sedentary lifestyle, buuut, I know I need to do more and longer.

My goal for this coming week: Walk at least 45 minutes every day I have some time free during the light hours, and eat smaller meals this week as to keep myself from overeating on thanksgiving itself.

I haven't even figured out where I'll be on thanksgiving yet... :/

Another thing definitely impeding me right now is a general apathy I've been feeling lately, just don't have much motivation for anything... It is annoying and frustrating.

@Aryanne - I feel you on the apathy for exercise. Some nights it's so damned hard to get up and DO something. I have even started a 'I am not going to take off my bra until I've exercised' habit, just to motivate me into doing it. I won't go to sleep in them, so it works.

I've been noticing a major improvement in mood though, every single workout. The first few months were full of 'I hate life. I hate this. This is stupid. I want food.' Now, I'm becoming one of those weird people who LIKE salad and water and exercise. I think it's Stockholm.

But, I digress. If you want something to do that's really good for walking and packs a wallop because it incorporates lots of things: https://youtube.com/watch?v=bI8VMUAxXSM Leslie Sansone has a million videos on Youtube, this one is your 45 min goal. There are 15, 30, 2 hours, you name it.

AryanneEmelle
  • edited November 2014
    Thanks @mariena! I honestly had completely not even considered videos like this. They're an excellent idea, especially now with the unfriendly winter weather and lack-of-lighting

My sedentary self has gotten so immobile that laying on my side in bed at night wakes me up with pain in my hips so I have to switch sides. My legs fall asleep easily in other positions... lets not even talk about my posture *shudder*.

Soooo, also stretching. Desperately need to stretch more, do you have any good stretching video ideas?

@ianea - I totally forgot to reply that I'd be stoked to have a more-daily-accountability through PMs and such than just flooding this thread. (Though I totally am OK with flooding the thread, too)

Sorry, @Aryanne - I tend not to do a lot of stretching videos due to my spine. Any stretching I do kind of comes pre-approved by my chiropractor.

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Man. I'd totes participate 'cept I love to eat way too much. *rubs belly*
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Konnorn
  • edited November 2014
    I am working on weight loss from a general "lifestyle change" attitude... And incrementally at that. I was reading about how willpower is a finite resource and, for me for certain, that is the case. I work in a relatively stressful field of work and tend to eat my stress/problems to feel better. At no point when I'm having a bad day am I going to tell myself "no, you can't eat X because you're on a diet." I am going to think "screw the diet, you deserve this," eat it, and then feel badly about myself later.

So instead, I have been having some success with little changes that build over time. Currently, it's a "no added sugar" kick. No sodas/sugary drinks (I do make the exception for one alcoholic drink when out with friends), no desserts, no sugar in my coffee or tea... It was hard at first, but if I want something sweet I'll eat a fruit or yogurt. I continue to eat what I want otherwise and I don't beat up on myself over it. It was hard at first, but because I could crutch on other unhealthy foods without feeling badly, it was manageable. Three weeks later I am down some poundage and I don't really crave the soda/sweets anymore. In sum: It takes significantly less willpower now, than it did, to say no to sugary drinks/desserts.

Now I can focus my willpower on making another healthy habit. I'm thinking actually eating breakfast, starting with whatever I can manage in the morning. Once I get into that habit - I can shift it into actually eating something healthy for breakfast.

In short, "habit building" really seems to be working for me. It's slow, and I don't expect to reach any large weight changes in just a few months, but I'm in this for a long term sustainable lifestyle change - not a quick fix. Moreover, I do see myself heading in a positive direction with small benchmarks achieved (which is more than I can say about the grander attempts I have made at dieting). Ultimately, I also feel less badly about myself and my relationship with food doesn't feel so contentious. I like to eat. I get enjoyment out of it and that's fine. I just need to slowly change what I enjoy and how I enjoy it.

Also, @Mariena‌: You're doing wonderfully. Total inspiration. :)
    AryanneEmelleIshinIaneaMariena
    edited November 2014
    @Faerah Thanks!

The way you're describing is the best for long-term, sustainable weightloss that effects your whole life. It is the best possible way to go about this journey, and I wish I could do that too!

Sadly, it wasn't an option due to health reasons (I got an overworked heart, yo). I think I'd be happier changing little things instead of this giant overhaul, but then again, with my personality it wouldn't have worked. I am sort of an all in or it won't work type of lady.

Edit:

@Teani - Glad you're still here, lady!
    @Aryanne @Ianea - I need the public forum. Private pms would make it easier to have cheat days. Putting it all out here is very terrifying in a vulnerable sort of way, but it also makes me want to do better.

IshinAryanneEmelleFaerah
  • @mariena I totally intend to continue to put it out there on public forum, I meant in addition to, not in lieu of.

I also agree - good plan in the "small steps" system, @faerah! The problem with so many diets is that people think of a diet as a temporary stepping stone to get where they want then step off, versus "how I'll eat again forever"

Since we both have weight to lose and healthiness to improve, boyfriend and I know we need to change our diet some way or other, but the struggle lies in "where to go with that" We're looking at both "paleo" and "LCHF" diets. They are very similar, but have some differences, to be sure.
    Upside to paleo: fruit and sugary vegetables like beets and carrots are allowed.
    Upside to LCHF: Dairy... Cheese, how I love thee, is allowed.

Can I eat all the things so long as I avoid potatoes, pasta, rice, other grains, etc?

Legumes.... Are left in the dust for either option :( One of my favourite meals is refried beans, veggies and cheese. That is my comfort food to the max... Hrm.

Faerah
  • The rules I go by @Aryanne for a low-carb, and often times low-calorie diet:

- No Dairy, with exception to Cheese. Cheese is high in protein, low in carbs, and usually not bad in calories either. The only issue with cheese is the fat.
    - If I want milk, I drink almond milk or coconut milk as a sub. Though coconut milk won't have a lot of calcium.
    - Absolutely no potatoes (even sweet ones), pastas, grains, rice (except for sushi..), or breads (I make exceptions for tortillas or pitas on occasion)
    - Salads are good, but the problem always is in the DRESSING. Be aware!
    - No corn, surprisingly high in carbs. (Though I can't help myself with popcorn and white cheddar)
    - No sweets, generally (I occasionally eat a brownie, like just now. I found the hidden treasure.), or sugary drinks period. (This definitely includes sweet tea, especially restaurant brews.. you don't wanna know how much sugar goes in those, trust me.)
    - I stay away from fried or greasy foods, and processed foods, which also means no fast food.
    - I limit myself a lot on fruits. They're not bad for you, in small portions day to day, but if you overdo it you're loading up on sugar. I love my happysqueezes for the days I want fruit.
    - This is a rule I don't really follow, but no alcohol, or limited alcohol, because of sugary carbs.

What I get to eat a lot of?
    - Cheese
    - Meat. ALL THE MEAT.
    - A large variety of veggies. I'm a HUGE fan of cauliflower, especially as a sub for a lot of the things I can't eat (bread, potatoes, rice..)
    - Water. Water. More water.

The lists might seem relatively .. misproportional to one another. After a while though I don't really have a lot of cravings for the things I've cut out except every once a blue moon.
    AryanneEmelle
  • Well this week has been pretty great for me besides today. Suffice to say I feel that my brother-in-law and his wife are not willing to include my daughter in normal, three year old child activities(to the best of her ability with help) with their kids because she has special needs(which we know effects her muscle control to a severe degree but at this point we are unsure how much her intelligence is effected, if at all). It's incredibly frustrating, disheartening and upsetting.

But on the bright side, my husband and I got a Christmas present early from my dad. This super awesome blendtec blender. We've been having green smoothies every morning since, as well I made broccoli cheddar soup. The smoothie I made this morning was banana, pear, frozen blackberries and spinach. It was delicious and I plan to keep having them.

I haven't stepped on the scale(trying not to until the new year), but I feel pretty good. The smaller jeans that I bought in mid-october I can pull down without even undoing them. I really need to get a belt since I can't afford to keep buying new jeans every month. (Though wouldn't that be nice!)

I have definitely preferred the slow, steady habit building approach, I feel like I can really eventually get to where I want to be. Drinking a lot of water now, I don't even think about it anymore, I just do it. Right now I'm working on constant, healthy breakfast and at least a five minute walk every day.
    TeaniAryanne
  • I actually have an update for this.

Weekly Wrap-up: I have jogged regularly through the week! Three times this past week. That's my min goal so I did good. I stayed mostly in bounds with my food, and after cutting out going to late night events mid-way into it, I've been in deficit city.

Weight lost: I'm not sure exactly. It's been fluctuating, which means I have lost and it's just needing to settle. I've seen anything from between 144.5-147. So I put 147 down just to be.. safe. Because it's still more than before! It means I've lost at least 3lbs. My body sits on plateaus for a long time, edging away until it finally drops. It's infuriating, but I'm glad it's over - now to maintain!

Downside of the week: I don't really have any downsides to report. It was a good-bad week, but it had positive turnouts.

Upside of the week: SUCK ON THAT PLATEAU

Status of last week's goal: Whabam. It's done.

Goal for next week: Well, we're fast approaching turkey day, which is this Thursday. I will pray for all of us to just do our best, and enjoy ourselves.
    Faerah