Rock the vote!

AlissandraAlissandra Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
It's November 4th, which means if you live in the United States, it is election day! Please, please, please go and vote if you're registered! I don't care who you vote for, or if you just want to draw an enormous frowny face on the ballot in protest of all the awful politicians, just go vote!

If you DON'T live in the United States, please click here so you don't feel left out! (Actually, everyone needs to click the link anyways... because I said so...)
AryanneArbreIshin

Comments

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee Member Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
    httpsimages-ext-1discordappnetexternal8be0wXv29U0b9e3Zx0Ms-6O19NtmwxMAGo0Hqkw83Ochttpscdndiscordappcomattachments494775592382627840609989230072168448aish_wo_bgpngwidth960height614
    AlissandraAryanne
  • NolaNola Member Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Florida has some really important amendments on its ballot so I'm definitely not missing it.

AlissandraAryanne
  • ObynObyn Member Posts: 351 Immortal
    edited November 2014
    I'll just leave this here...
    (nsfw, btw)
  • AryanneAryanne Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Living in Southwest Washington, all my radio advertising is for Oregon politics, so I get to hear why I should vote to legalize Marijuana 2-5 times on my 20 minute commute every day. Even though it's been legal here for a couple years :P.

As excited as I am to be part of the process and vote, I'm equally excited to make the ads stop.

AlissandraMoirean
  • AlissandraAlissandra Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    I am with you @Aryanne‌ the ads are horrible. I think political ads, like pop-ups should be made illegal. What a colossal waste of money... 
    AryanneIshin
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Member, Administrator, Immortal Posts: 1,393 admin
    North Carolina's Senate race has been one of the most vicious and expensive in memory, and certainly this election cycle. Living just south of the border, I've never been happier to not have television service in my house. Visiting my parents means liberal (har) use of the mute button. Glad we're ad-free for about six months before the 2016 junk starts up.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    SolariaIshin
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NCMember Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭
    Oleis said:

North Carolina's Senate race has been one of the most vicious and expensive in memory, and certainly this election cycle. Living just south of the border, I've never been happier to not have television service in my house. Visiting my parents means liberal (har) use of the mute button. Glad we're ad-free for about six months before the 2016 junk starts up.

I decided not to even vote this year because I didn't like a single candidate for any of the races in NC. This is especially true for those who had the ads you mention. Ugh..in the NC Reddit, people started to make joke versions. I know I should go out and vote, civic duty and whatnot, but I just could not motivate myself (especially with the surgery recovery going very slowly).

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Member, Administrator, Immortal Posts: 1,393 admin
    Aarbrok said:

..Marijuana is legal here now.
    That being said, I got an interesting call from my grandmother explaining she was excited that "the pot" was going to help the economy and maybe she could figure a recipe to make those special brownies that my hippy brother talks about.

My grandma wants to make special brownies. (I might get stoned for the first time in over a decade for this)

Hanging out with your grandma is just one more reason I need to swing by Oregon.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    IshinAarbrok
  • ObynObyn Member Posts: 351 Immortal
    The results of the elections are pretty disappointing to me. I guess Americans want legal pot, a higher minimum wage, and decent healthcare and they want it under Republican leadership. Doublethink, much?
    Xenia
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee Member Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legalize gay marijuana.
    httpsimages-ext-1discordappnetexternal8be0wXv29U0b9e3Zx0Ms-6O19NtmwxMAGo0Hqkw83Ochttpscdndiscordappcomattachments494775592382627840609989230072168448aish_wo_bgpngwidth960height614
    OleisXenia
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker VirginiaMember, Guildmaster Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Obyn - Sometimes I think people vote for the opposing party without really knowing much just because of a President's party. Looking at Virginia's county map and what party each county went with is pretty wild. Blue is a big splatter across the state, including some of the western counties which can be fairly rural, but most of them are SE VA, which is where a lot of military is, which is typically conservative. Go figure.

The race between Warner and Gillespie was 49.06% vs 48.49%, which is crazy close. One of the guys on Warner's team even said this: “It breaks my heart to say it, because these are my people, but racism was a huge factor in this,” he said. “I think in many areas of rural Virginia, racism is still prevalent, and they dislike Obama more than they like Mark Warner.”

...which is, sadly, probably very very true.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher Member Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike democracy. Once again I didn't vote. Loved every minute of it.
    TozAlissandra
    Aarbrok said:

..Marijuana is legal here now.

There goes THE ONLY THING Portlanders would drive to Vancouver for.

AarbrokXenia
  • ZsadistZsadist Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    I refuse to vote for anything/anyone when it comes to the political nature of the US government. I am not, nor ever will be, a registered voter. Why you ask? Because your vote, beit in your eyes as large or a small effect as it may be, is absolutely pointless and has no value. Because, if noone in the US voted at all for politicians or presidency or any of the bills that are passed, people would still be elected, presidents would still be sworn in, and bills would still be passed.

That being said, I'm sure I will get the, "Then you can't complain when something happens that you don't like." speech. However, I would like to point out, that neither can you, but I have more right to complain. Reason being, I'm not the one who voted some jackwagon into office. Now, if you voted against it/them, we both get to complain (yay complaining!).

To end my rant, I would like to say this.... I cannot wait to see the world burn and the failure of today's and future politicians crash, like the stock market of the Great Depression.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

If our vote doesn't matter, how have we, even BY voting, elected some jackwagon into office?
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Setne
    -YOU- didn't. The electoral college did. Their the only people whose votes matter. Power begets and supports power. You have no power in the political world, Ishin, and as such, your vote does not matter.

Perhaps I should have clarified that in my original post.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Yeah, I know about the Electoral College, Zsadist :P
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander PortlandMember, Newbie Helper, Guildmaster Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys know the electoral college is only for presidential stuff, right?

Votes absolutely matter. The congressman for my district was only just decided today, with the initial margin only 400ish votes before it went to recounts.
    The Divine voice of Razmael echoes in your head, "God of imps."
    Eugenides says to you, "Imp, Are you sure you were not born a Troll?"
    The Divine voice of Arion echoes in your head, "Every time I try to punish you for being so flippant, I find Myself laughing instead."
    Hugo has expressed his esteem of you for the following reason: Being a badass leader.
    SetneIshinFaerahAryanne
  • TozToz Member Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd register to vote if there was an option that actually applied to me - in Russia they apparently used to have a 'all these candidates suck' option you could punch and cast your vote there. I'm not apathetic, I disapprove of both Democrat and Republican options, and ESPECIALLY on the big Presidential ballot, there's no hope for an Independent - at least not yet. I'd love for my voice to be heard, but I'm not going to go vote for the lesser of two evils and pretend I helped things somehow.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of unicorns awfulness Toz
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander PortlandMember, Newbie Helper, Guildmaster Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The push to vote is mostly a Democrat thing. Republican voters tend to be from a demographic that is more likely to vote, while Democrats tend to be minorities or younger voters, who historically are less likely to take the time out to vote. In some cases, minority voters have been literally disenfranchised, turned away at the polls. Really shady unicorns.

I think part of it is more than apathy, but rather a voting process that is not as friendly to those types of voters as it could be. A single mom working 2 jobs who uses public transportation often simply cannot find a way to feasibly go in to vote - yes, write-in ballots are an option, but you need to set that up weeks in advance and all that. I've heard there are steps being taken to make voting itself easier, such as letting anyone vote at any poll regardless of what district they are registered in. If you made it a facebook app I'm sure you'd get all the young people voting, but the nightmare of potential hacking and cheating would be insane. Still, I think there's more that can be done to make voting more accessible and easy.
    The Divine voice of Razmael echoes in your head, "God of imps."
    Eugenides says to you, "Imp, Are you sure you were not born a Troll?"
    The Divine voice of Arion echoes in your head, "Every time I try to punish you for being so flippant, I find Myself laughing instead."
    Hugo has expressed his esteem of you for the following reason: Being a badass leader.
    @Faerah, I love what you posted and I, both, agree and disagree with what you said. I would be remiss if I said it was not well spoken and well informed, so props to you for that. Onto my agreements in that, I do agree that the closer the law is to the people, the more impact it has. I also agree with the right to complain, regardless of whether or not you've voted. I also agree that people shouldn't be pushed into making votes/decisions just because of peer pressure or whatever, which seems to be the cases more times than not. I'm starting to see a trend where most people vote, only because they feel that they HAVE to vote, because its "patriotic" and "democratic".

However, here's where I disagree. Even though everything that falls into the public domain, is up to the local state government, I do not feel that the governor/mayor/congressman/insert political position here, really cares what any of the city's citizens say/vote unless said citizen can put money into their pocket. I mean, we live in an age of empty promises. The people in political power, regardless of whether its local or federal, tend to say, "I promise to do this." but then turn around and never do what they promised they'd deliver. Instead, what they do, is look at what they can benefit from at your own cost. As it is, in my local city, the ONLY time things get done is when the citizens get together to pay the MAYOR with what needs to be done.

Now, on the flip side of that coin is that SOMETIMES, when a group of people get together, they can change the way bills/laws are written, or they can get better streets cemented, or better transportation. However, if the group of people didn't do anything, would it have been changed or altered? No. Why? Because more times than not, the people in political power tend to forget about us little guys (average citizens) and focus only on what can be put in their wallets.

Also, all positions of political power (if not most), are voted in by a group of their fellow peers of power, not by you, not by me, and not by a large group of us.... but by majority vote of their peers, based on who THEY want in office, and not you. Numbers are easily smudged, written, recorded, and/or counted to make the average citizen think that their vote mattered, because we humans have this uncanny desire to feel important, and they exploit that with numbers.

TLDR: Regardless of whether or not you vote, the way the political structure is set up, the people in power will do what they want (depending on their views as Faerah pointed out), when they want, because they don't really care about you or me... only about what can be put in their pockets.

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher Member Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Democracy is a broken system that no longer works and I refuse to participate in it. Me voting is not going to fix that. Every cog in the machine has been replaced many times over since its inception and it is still broken. We need a new system and voting isn't going to get us that.

Zsadist
  • TozToz Member Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need a Kog in the machine.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of unicorns awfulness Toz
    I vote on is everything that isn't a politician. All this has a notable impact on my life in my state/county/city and that my individual vote (or, well, everyone's individual vote) actually matters for.

Examples from recent elections: requiring background checks for firearms, tax increase/decrease maintenance or repeal, marijuana legality, same sex marriage legality, new charter for how our local government functions, various aspects of building an interstate bridge, allowance of charter schools, privatising liquor sales, increase in property taxes to fund schools and much more!

The only legit reasons I accept for not voting: I live in a place it is horribly inconvenient and simply can't manage it, I forgot/was late, I am opposed to the democratic process and abstain from voting in peaceful protest, I have not the time, energy, or care to research these issues thoroughly enough to submit an informed vote.

I think the push for EVERYONE VOTE. VOTE VOTE VOTE is annoying. If you are not informed, I don't want you to vote.