Cake? Yes, please.

Comments

• Weight lost: 0 pounds

Downside of the week: I've noticed since it's getting cooler I'm not drinking as much water so I think I'm going to try making tea in the morning to drink during the day. Sleep is still a major issue but we're going to see our family doctor next monday, we'll see if they have another solution for us to try.

Upside of the week: Fast days are going good, though I still have a problem with saving calories just in case I get hungry later. Friday I only had 326 calories for the whole day, though I admit the only time I was hungry was after I exercised and I ate plenty then. I did exercise as well, which was good.

Status of last week's goal: I didn't really come up with any solution. There are things I'd like to try, swimming, martial arts again or even some sort of class or group, but it's really impractical at this time.

Goal for next week: This week I'm switching from two fast days to three and I'm going to try to go for a walk at 930am each day. Our respite worker normally does this three days a week before watching her for a few hours but she's away for four weeks and I want to try to keep my daughter's routine the same. I'd like to lose 2 more pounds so I can be at an even 20(or more) when I see my doctor since I know he'll ask about it, even though we're there for my daughter.

Total pounds lost: Still 18 pounds lost!

Pounds remaining: 32
    AryanneTeani
  • Starting weight: 191

current weight: 182 (down one from last week)

Desired weight: 155

Downside of the week: General laziness. Really didn't -do- much. Also, went out to dinner with Sister to buffet. I don't regret it, because it was enjoyable and delicious, but I could have easily skipped the mango icecream, but didn't because I love it and I rarely have it.

Upside of the week: Brought lunch every day! :D Feeling like I'm really getting back on track, which feels goood.

Goals for next week:
    A: Get out and do at LEAST 30 minutes of -something- more than a casual stroll 3 times a week.

B: Start calculating calories again. I stopped when I felt I had a good sense of it, which was fine for about 3 weeks, and then the lunch fail started and I was too ashamed of my own failure to continue *shake* It isn't like calculating them is going to CHANGE what I'd eaten.

Ianea
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Weekly Wrap-up: I can't believe it's been a week already! I have found good foods I can eat out and that I love that fall in my intake limits, I have calmed down about every little thing, and I have made a -bad- discovery. Candy bars have low sodium, at least the ones I adore. Lord help me, I have to be serious on not abusing this knowledge.

Weight lost: 11 pounds

Downside of the week: No real downsides beyond work being hard when I'm trying to not intake so much caffeine. I am a zombie.

Upside of the week: Upside of the week was definitely meeting @Reux and having two glorious cheat days. Still managed to lose 2 pounds with the cheat days too!

Status of last week's goal: Today I rode the path I was talking about and I didn't stop one time! /dance dance. I didn't find an exercise ball video I like yet, going to work on that.

Goal for next week (Sept 17- Sept 24): Deeefinitely continue this rolling trend! We're getting there, and my kind of bitchy lady doctor will be impressed, damn it! More specific goals. . . I want to see three pounds off this next week.

AryanneEmelle
  • Nola said:

What's the point of breakfast. T_T!

Not eating breakfast has two major negative impacts on people who are trying to reduce their weight. You know how bears go into hibernation and their metabolism slows to a crawl? When we sleep, the same thing (to a lesser degree) happens to us. Our bodies begin to burn only enough energy to maintain organ function. In order to kickstart metabolism, you have to consume food. Think of it in terms of forging... If you don't put in coal and fire the forge, no matter how much you beat on a piece of steel, you are not going to end up with a fine sword. If you consume 1500 calories through-out the day, but your body only burns the minimum it needs to for organ function, you are going to end up gaining weight, instead of losing.

Also, people who skip breakfast, tend to be hungrier later in the day, and end up consuming more calories than they normally would have.

I see that some of you are like me. I am not a fan of "breakfast" foods at all. But tell me, why do you need to eat eggs, pancakes, etc for breakfast? What is special about those foods that makes them 'breakfast' foods? Nothing but tradition. Your body will do just as well if you consume fish, chicken, veggies, etc at 8AM as it does at 3PM. Makes little difference.
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Who /doesn't/ like eggs and pancakes and processed fatty meat!?

BufordAryanne
  • Yarel said:

Also, people who skip breakfast, tend to be hungrier later in the day, and end up consuming more calories than they normally would have.

I don't get this, it is completely reversed for me! If I'm not used to eating breakfast, I am not hungry in the morning, and only moderately hungry at lunch time with dinner-time seeing no variation one way or the other. If I do eat breakfast, I am SUPER hungry at lunch time, tend to eat more due to this, and when you figure that I have also added additional calories by adding breakfast, eating breakfast nets me a LOT more calories than skipping it.

Ashmer
    Hoooow, how can I gain three pounds overnight! It won't go AWAY. In other news, I've lost at least a half inch everywhere and around my waist it's more. So woo there. Boo on the gain. I know I know, waterwight. That's why I shouldn't weigh in daily. But damn it, everything was going so smoooth and downward.

Could be too I was a terrible cheat this past week.. Hm. Ever onward?
    /rant

Aryanne
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Well, I'm back up 1,4 kilos since last report. However, I seem to have lost some centimeters when it comes to waist measure. I can now wear a belt I haven't been able to wear in forever!

Downside: I've been given a new recipe for an awesome apple cake that is -not- on the healthy side for those trying to lose weight. I've also been lax in most things having to do with walking. Also, my daughter has been around and while she is I spoil both of us. <.<

Upside: I've slowly started doing crunches and situps and I mean to pick up the whole walking/exercising in general this week. My daughter has been here, which has brought my mood up again from dangerously slipping downwards.

Goal for next week: Get back down to where I was or even further!

MarienaAryanne
  • weight lost: 1.5lbs

Upside of the week: I still managed to lose despite a single meal on Monday being 2.2 days worth of calories and carbs. I had a few semi fasting days following to offset. Plus the amount I burned with the farm work I've mentioned.

I still got to eat cake. Twice.

Downside: I was really good Monday on my birthday and I hate how much it set me back in that one meal, and the stress that followed restricting an already tight diet. I also could not jog, and hardly could speed walk, for a few days following the farm work. My legs still hurt, but I still managed to get in a pathetic attempt at speed walking today.

Status of last week's goal: I did all right. Still a loss, so still a victory!

Next week's goal: get back on track! I can't wait to be below 150 again.

Total weight lost: 9lbs

Current weight: 152lbs, 12 more to go.
    Aryanne
  • So, I didn't want to post because I feel crappy but I will own up to it. I gained four pounds, ugh, but I know why and I will not repeat it going forward. I've been getting too ambitious, trying to to change too much and failing. I was doing so well before so I let things slide, obviously too much.

Time to get back on track, one thing firmly at a time.

For the next month I want to concentrate on one thing. Being active each day, even if it's only 5 minutes. I want to build the automatic habit of working out or going for a walk first thing in the morning(7am) as early as our schedule works. (I eventually want to build more of a schedule once this becomes a habit as everything revolves around my daughter right now and she has 0 regular sleep or anything else. And I absolutely detest it.) The most important thing for me in this is putting on my running shoes and being active in some way, even if it's jumping jacks, dancing around, running up and down my stairs. I don't care what, as long as it gets me warmed up and my blood pumping. And my daughter gets used to spending the time not being held.

Our OT tried to convince me that I should do all my working out while holding her. That was her solution when I was trying to work with her for ideas so that I can get a few minutes without a 20 pound, three year old attached to me. It's the first time in a long time that I've come close to yelling at someone or crying because I was so frustrated. Of all our great support workers, I dislike her... but that's really beside the point.

I made a list of goals that I want to hit in different areas, Exercise, Food and Life. That way I can concentrate on picking one and building on it. I'll get to the others eventually, they're not going anywhere. Just one at a time will mean the success I want in the long run.

Weight lost: Gained 4 pounds

Upside of the week: My daughter has decided she doesn't mind sitting with Daddy, which gives me a bit more time and less stress in feeling like I don't want anyone in my bubble or touching me ever again. Also re-kicked in the butt and motivated. I'm still 14 pounds below where I started.

Downside of the week: I think I covered that above. Bleh!

Goal: As above, building the habit of being active first thing each day.

Total weight lost: 14 pounds

Weight to go: 36 pounds

Here is hoping our doctor has a solution today for my daughter's sleep that will actually work. Real sleep would be amazing.
    Weekly Wrap-up: This week has been a terrible bust. But we got here!

Weight lost: 8.3 pounds

Downside of the week: I had lost 11, but gained back three, but then lost another pound.

Upside of the week: I feel more definition all over me.

Status of last week's goal: Well, I ended up seeing the Doctor for an unrelated reason and she seemed really impressed so that was good.

Goal for next week (Sept 24 - Oct 1): Try some of these low-sodium recipes I've been hunting for, remain strict on my diet and no cheating by bites and things, and bike ride all week on top of walking.

NolaIanea
  • @Ianea Thank you so much for admitting to the week of slip. For one, makes me feel better for my month-of-slipping. Also, damn! With an exhausting situation like that, you're still managing to be a shining pillar of motivation for me, so it is good to hear you aren't 100% perfect (selfish? Maybe. But still reassuring that I can power through if you can).

Also - awesome that we're admitting our failings in general, if we just ignore them and stuff them under rugs and pretend they didn't happen, we're not likely to get very far.

current weight: 181 (down one from last week)

Desired weight: 155

Downside of the week: Ate out a few times and didn't feel bad about it for a moment (pesto fondue and spatzel, I love you.)

Upside of the week: Got out to walking several times and got some decent sleep so I feel like I can function like a full human again. Made smart grocery choices and resisted repeated offers for things I wasn't actively hungry for but would have been tasty.

Status of last week's goal: Counted breakfast/lunch calories and did well, but didn't count dinner, trying to just be conservative in my choices.

Goals for next week: Walk 4xs a week - use Saturday break to walk, no matter what fun weather. Actually calculate dinner calories as well.

NolaIanea
  • So as a major annoyance my laptop is out of commision. And unfortunately we did not get much of an answer for my daughter's sleep issue. We are being referred over to a sleep clinic. not sure when we will actually get into it.

Thank you @Aryanne, your post helped make my week better.

I'm doing this on my tablet, so I am going to be making it somewhat brief.

Weight lost: 3 pounds

Upside: I did well on my fast days. Reading over stuff on the Nerd Fitness website I realize on those days I have naturally gravitated toward eating Paleo. Lots of vegetables and lean meat plus a bit of fruit.

Downside: Broken computer and still no end in sight on the sleep issue.

Last goal: Managed to be active in some way each day. Monday was even a full bodyweight strength workout. And my husband and I went for a walk on Thursday.

Next goal: Continue with 5 minutes of activity each day, more if the mood strikes. And eat some type of vegetable with each meal, continue experimenting with new veggies. This week it is fennel, nice and crunchy but I am not so sure about the raw taste.

Total lost: 17 pounds

Weight to go: 33 pounds
    Aryanne

I am going to put this here. I am officially at the 10 pound mark and it's almost been a month. Some changes are happening and I've lost inches. I just wanted to document it for my little round self. I know it's not much yet but it will be more as the months roll on!

AryanneIaneaEmelleTozTrager
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I've stopped losing weight for some strange reason. I am just completely stuck on the same numbers on my scale. I have, on the other hand, lost at least something, because I've had to pull my belt in two holes in the last two weeks. It's really strange, scratching my head. It's not like I've really been building muscle or anything...

• That happens. You hit a ledge on the scale and it may be a while before it moves again. It may also be water retention or some other fluctuation affecting the numbers, but the loss of inches are the positive indicator that your efforts aren't in vain.

I had this happen to me a lot of through the first year and a half. After a while, it became more and more difficult to cut down the weighed measurements. 170 and 150 were/still are especially aggravating.

I'll be weighing in soon. Ive been busy lately and am still at work right now, plus, I've gained about 7 in just water so the scale is not reliable right now. Too much sodium in restaurant foods :(
    edited October 2014
    Weekly Wrap-up: Pretty good so far! I spent more money than I should have but I got a stationary bike for the winter months

Weight lost: 11.5 pounds

Downside of the week: I pulled the right side of my hip area being over-confident

Upside of the week: Finally kicked that 10 lb ledge's ass!

Status of last week's goal: I definitely added in two workouts a day, though my fubarred spine is like 'you realize I'm still fucked up, right?' Yes spine, I do. Some recipes were a success! Good tortilla/flatbread like stuff is easy to make low sodium and in wheat. Garlic cauliflower breadsticks are both a bust AND they make the kitchen reek of cauliflower. The texture is five kinds of wrong. Mom picked up a steamer and made veggies in it. Those were delicious.

Goal for next week (Oct 1 - Oct 8): Bicycling goal this week! Go for 4 miles! That is almost double what I've been doing. I may die. Or at least stop half-way through for a moment of fish-breathing (open mouth, gulping gasps) But I think it's obtainable.

Aryanne
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Aryanne said:

Yarel said:

I don't get this, it is completely reversed for me! If I'm not used to eating breakfast, I am not hungry in the morning, and only moderately hungry at lunch time with dinner-time seeing no variation one way or the other. If I do eat breakfast, I am SUPER hungry at lunch time, tend to eat more due to this, and when you figure that I have also added additional calories by adding breakfast, eating breakfast nets me a LOT more calories than skipping it.
    Sorry to just jump in late, but I just read this - there've been studies that show that not eating breakfast puts the brakes on your metabolism, since your body works on digestive rhythms and by the time you wake up from sleeping eight (five, six) hours it's in fasting mode. (Hence "break fast.") When I first started eating breakfast again after skipping it for like... two years, I always got SUPER hungry at lunch, but after a week or so I stopped being ravenous by noon and I have a ton more stamina. I've also noticed that I need to eat less later in the day to keep my energy up. You may have to just go through an adjustment period with this, but eating regularly boosts your metabolism and stabilizes the glucose levels in your blood. It's a GOOD THING.

(Sorry, exit stage right)

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Emelle
  • Monthly gain update : I'm still alive!

Good news! I got the news my lungs are clear last week! Hooray!

Proudest moment: Being able to go back to work.
    Saddest moment : Went for a run. Hahah, I said went. It was more a short jog followed like a long rest. It's going to be a while to get any sort of lung capacity back.

Gain : 3 kg
    Weight : 47kg (nearly back to normal)
    Goal : 52kg

Politics
    Ianea
  • I know I'm behind by like two weeks. Had some health complications that came up so I thought it better to wait until things seems like normal again.

Weight loss: .5lbs - at least when I last weighed it was (yesterday). Over the past two weeks it's gone so far as jumping 10lbs in three days, after steadily increasing, then abruptly dropping again.

I'm skipping a few parts here, but I'd say that almost every day over the past two weeks, except maybe one, I have been in range in my calories and carbs. I've not stopped!

Status of the week before last/last week's goal: I'm still down, even if it's only .5

New goal for this week: Get below 150

edited October 2014
    Weekly Wrap-up: I had a piece of Fazoli's pizza. It was delicious. It was salty. It made me gain a pound. I felt terribly guilty and anyone talking to me that night heard about it. I am not right in the head.

Weight lost: 15 pounds

Downside of the week: Stupid pizza

Upside of the week: I am officially 15 pounds down according to the Doc's office scales!

Status of last week's goal: I did not bicycle 4 miles in the wild because it was raining, but I did do it on the exercise bike though!

Goal for next week (Oct 8 - Oct 15): Overall goal - 15 pounds by next doc visit (Nov 5). This week's goal: More three mile walks and more water! I've been slacking on the water intake because I get bored with it (all the flavorings in the world won't change the texture). I need to only weigh myself once a week. Or at least only a few times a week.

I've gotten into the habit of weighing morning and night, every single day. If I'm home, I'll do it more randomly, throughout the day. It's not healthy.

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Try sparkling water! There are lots of essence waters now that aren't sweetened (so no sugar OR sugar substitute) but I find the bubbles both make me less tired of regular water AND fulfill my desire for bubbly soda.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    AryanneMarienaSibattiEmelle
  • I'm really fond of Fruitwater myself. Particularly Fizzy Lemonade.
    Mariena
  • You can get soda streams to carbonate your water for you. I use to do this and then add real fruit juice (juiced myself so you know it's real!) to it for healthy soft drink.

Politics
    MarienaEmelle
    Thank you all! Those are brilliant suggestions!

• Weight loss: 3lbs

Downside: I crave pizza. Still craving it.

Upside: I have tons of low carb healthy pizza recipes using various vegetables as the crust - cauliflower, multiple types of squash.

Cauliflower is amazing. Period. Made a delicious soup this past week that was a sub for potato cheese and bacon. It was heavenly.

Old goal status: complete

New goal: Continue the trend. I would love to hit 145 right around Halloween before Oct is over.

Current weight: 148.5lbs
  • Here we go, it's been a while! We had to travel out of town to visit my daughter's pediatrician at the Children's hospital and then we had Thanksgiving as soon as we got back home. So I was rather nervous to step on the scale.

Weight lost: None. (But none gained either.)

Upside: We did a fair amount of walking around plus a hike while we were out of town. I also got a few nights of 12+ hours of sleep while my daughter stayed in a respite program for children with special needs.

Downside: I did not watch what I was eating at all, besides a few larger then typical servings of vegetables with dinner. And I caught a bad cold while we were out of town, I want to curl into a ball and sleep forever.

Last goal: Managed to be somewhat active each day despite the evil cold.

Next goal: I don't have the energy to focus on much beyond what we are trying to do with my daughter. We are finally trying the 'cry it out' approach to try to get some sort of consistent sleep pattern. I've spent the last hour soothing her every five minutes, the only difference between now and when I started is that she's covered in sweat and I really want to eat ice cream.. a lot of it. But we need to give it a fair chance before we get into the sleep clinic. So wish us luck.

Total lost: 17 pounds

Weight to go: 33 pounds

It makes me happy to see how well you've all done! Great work everyone. Do you have that soup as a recipe @Nola? I love soup this time of year.
    Nola
  • Three-WEEKS, OH GOD.

So, I broke down and decided I would, indeed, keep eating breakfast... And ya'll're totally right. Like @ashmer said, after I got over the first week or two of not being used to eating breakfast, I have felt like my later-in-the-day cravings have mellowed noticeably, to the point where I'm all, "Oh man, too much food. Nope. Not hungry for more." Now I just need to find calorically friendly breakfast that fills breakfast urges. My mother swears by a handful of nuts... Maybe I'll get some trails mix? Cause I kinda don't like nuts alone.

Another upside: I got WAYYYYYYTOOOODRUUNNKK one night a couple weeks back, and since have really not had any desire to drink anything but coffee and water. Woo? And the lemon/soda water is definitely fulfilling any additional cravings.

Downside of previous weeks: Ate pizza a few times, although only a slice or two each time, which is a win relative to my normal pizza consumption habits.

Status of last week's goal:
    Have -finally- gotten back to daily exercising. So far, it's been "Lots of walking", but that's better than nothing, imo. The weather is finally going full-autumn (it lingered a long time this year) so I'll be having a lot of wet walks soon, lol.

current weight: 180
    Goal: 150 (slowly but surely)

Next week's goal: more veggie-heavy meals, do not eat out all week. Freezer veggies with sauce = great and easy lunch!

• edited October 2014
    @Ianea - I have two links with amazing, amazing low carb recipes on them. Some I'm still planning for trying. This first one had the cauliflower soup recipe on it:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/satisfying-low-carb-dinners?s=mobile#20aa633

^ for the soup we subbed out a few things for better choices that were more calorie and carb friendly. You can do it with any recipe that calls for milk, we chose unsweetened coconut milk because we felt the coconut would go better than almond milk (it was delicious, I promise). And instead of cheddar, as a preference, we used smoked gyurere cheese and cheddar. We debated smoked Gouda too. We chose to use hickory smoked bacon as well. We passed on the hot sauce and celery. As a tip, though, we noticed that simply processing and reducing the cauliflower wasnt enough to get to creamy (was still kinda separate from the soup part) so we pureed it with rhis handheld thingamabo . I expect more kitchen savvy peoplee know what. Reduced it a bit linger, perfect harmonized texture.

And here is the second link with all the healthy pizzas:

dailyburn.com/life/recipes/low-carb-pizza-recipes/
    Aryanne
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    edited October 2014
    Trail mix is awesome, especially if you don't want to do just nuts (giggity). I do greek yogurt and fruit and eggs and bacon and granola and stuff for breakfast, personally, but I run on a super high calorie diet because I have the metabolism of thirteen ravenous teenagers. Eggs are super awesome, and you should be able to do lean meats and stuff - ham and even turkey - along with yogurt and granola. Granola with nuts might also be a solution to a good-fat, satisfying breakfast, with Greek yogurt or the like.

Also, avoid fruit juices. I sometimes have a glass of blueberry juice (yum!) with breakfast, and when I do I'm usually not quite satisfied and still get hungry fairly soon.

Edited to add: that's just all my personal experience with it, especially the fruit juice bit. I remember seeing a headline for an article somewhere that blueberries boost appetite, but you know how the internet is these days.

Anyway. Yay! Breakfast.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

NolaEmelle