Brewing!

JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
I got back into brewing recently after a few year hiatus. Admittedly I've never gone beyond beginner but I finally have a house that's more suited toward the craft than second floor tiny apartments are. Currently I have a nut brown ale fermenting in the primary and should be ready to key when I get home :D. Also planning on building a 3-4 tap keezer (kegerator from a freezer) and brewing my first Berliner Weisse. Ill start posting my brew days/projects if people are interested. Also want to see what you guys do!

Comments

• Weisse es like my #1 fav. Wheat ales in general.
    Jensen
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I <3 dogfish head festina peche but its like 10$ a 4 pack, and I struggle to find any selection of weisses
  • Ontario Liquor stores are surprisingly well stocked. Since it's provincially owned they push a lot of local/provincial/craft/canadian varieties in general like it's some cultural thing.
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    My dad does little homebrews now and then, just the kind that come as a packet though. The quiet 'bloop... bloop... bloop' of the keg thingy in the laundry is a really comforting sound.

That's the airlock on the fermentor!!! It allows created CO2 to escape while keeping the inside free from contamination :D
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Yeah, I know what it's for.

Dad's homebrew has a bit of word-of-mouth hype to it amongst family friends, apparently it's not terribly common to do it around here.

So! I got my kegging set up going and successfully kegged a nut brown ale and then drank all of it! I harvested the yeast cake from the bottom of the fermenter, and reused it too in a very ghetto apple cider/beer thing. We had a few pounds of apples left over from picking that needed to be used ASAP, so I used a masticating juicer, added some water to thin it down, and heated to 150 f for 20 mins. Cooled it to about 90 f and repitched the yeast I harvested. Bubbles away so hopefully it won't turn to vinegar. About to order supplies for a raspberry Berliner wiesse and a sour mash citra apa. Ill post those in better detail this time. Can't wait to be home so I can start!
    MoireanIshin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Ah I really like the fruity wheat ales. I had an apricot one that I was like wut so delicious.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Yos turned me on to sour beers a few years ago. They are so different and so lovely - definitely update us on how it goes!
    Aarbrok