Old newbie, few questions about state of things

Hello everyone. I created a character on Aetolia some time ago that coincidentally is the same name that I'm posting with, had dumped some monies on it when cryptic chests were on sale, and ended up going inactive shortly after due to real life being a pain in the butt. Fast forward to now, and I'd like to get going in Aetolia again.

At the moment, typical hooman at level 79, and thanks to the cryptic chests, have a few artis and a lot of transed skills (everything that's available as a classless alive person except for Weaponry and Concoctions). No guild/class at the moment, since I think I quit class at some point but honestly don't remember. Might have been drunk. I definitely want to get involved in the PK scene, but I also want to actually engage in the much vaunted Aetolia RP I've heard about. I've played Lusternia in the past, found a piddly bit of success as a low/mid tier combatant using Shadowdancers (mana kills), Illuminati (stack a counter kills, or timed tarot fling kills), and the various warrior/knight guilds. Sitting on about 4k lessons, 200 some odd credits and about 100 iron coins, and have the no brainer packages available to me.

So, with all that being said, what guilds/organization-cities-whateveryoucallthem offer bad/decent/good RP? What classes are currently successful/have potential to be successful if played right in 1v1 and group combat? Zeksagmek isn't really much of an established character, so I like to think that at this point practically anything is doable for him at this point. I'd prefer to avoid Enorian, mostly out of bias against the "light and goodness" that in my opinion surrounds such cities/orgs.

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Obviously I am biased, but I'm going to advertise Carnifex. We're a pretty RP-heavy org, and we're due for a sweet sweet skill revamp in a few weeks. We are, however, very niche in our RP. It's militant, we are an army.

http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/719/newbie-class-guide-carnifex

Spinesreach, imo, is the best org atm for RP. Obviously, I'm super biased saying that, but I also really believe it. People can play any role they want and we work hard to facilitate things.
    Arbre
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Bloodloch as a city is not obvious-RP-heavy, neither are some of its organizations, but House Bahir'an has a lot of individual-player-RP. So, if you wanted to go the Bloodborn route - you might find a decent mix of PK and RP there. I'm also fairly biased, save for with the Bloodborn.

Moi is right, though, Spinesreach does have a lot of obvious RP out there. Probably the best right now. Just depends on what kind of RP level/activity/type you want.

MoireanKraz
  • Carnifex RP seems interesting from an outside view. Spines also seems to be a bit more RP active than basically every other organization right now. As far as House Bahir'an the RP is generally one on one or a few people RPing. Bloodborn guild has the option of some heavy RP with all the blood magic stuff.

Personally though, I think I'd mix it up, Spinesreach with Carniguild and Indorani class.
    SolariaMoirean
    (should be noted, Carnis don't care what skills you get, so if you are interested in the army niche RP, you can pick up ANY skills you want, really)
  • Excellent information in here. Reading a few of the links out, especially some of the things linked in the Carni newbie thread, has me veeeeeeery interested in checking them out. I'm also going to go looking through the forums for some examples of Bloodborn/Bloodloch stuff in general, since they also seem neat from what the little bits of help files talk about. I imagine that being unenemied to Bloodloch wouldn't be too difficult, since the reason I think I was enemied way back when was because I think I was in...Luminaries? Honestly don't remember anymore, just know I'm enemied to Bloodloch for some reason.
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Zeksagmek said:

Excellent information in here. Reading a few of the links out, especially some of the things linked in the Carni newbie thread, has me veeeeeeery interested in checking them out. I'm also going to go looking through the forums for some examples of Bloodborn/Bloodloch stuff in general, since they also seem neat from what the little bits of help files talk about. I imagine that being unenemied to Bloodloch wouldn't be too difficult, since the reason I think I was enemied way back when was because I think I was in...Luminaries? Honestly don't remember anymore, just know I'm enemied to Bloodloch for some reason.

It's super easy, especially if you're looking to join an allied organization. If you end up joining the Carnis, they also count as an allied organization.

• AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Just throwing my hat into the Carnifex ring here, too. While it's got the niche militant Carnifex thing going on, because of the rock-solid foundation of the organization's RP, it allows for incongruent elements too. I play more of a weird occult-y sort than a soldier, with discipline closer to a Zen priest than a military man, but every army has its scholars, its miscreants and its misplaced souls. (Right?)

#hroaghifex

Bloodborn is cool. Nothing to be found as far as actual guild involvement and RP except what you make for yourself, but that can be enjoyable too. Bloodloch is a fun mix of things, and the community of players overall out-of-character are super awesome and a pleasure to play the game with on the whole.

This is all if you're going evil, of course. Enorian is also a great place to play, and has been opening up recently to allow a wider range of characters that can at least find a place there in the community. It's also a city with a defined purpose, and it's got the battered hero thing going for it. Just depends on what kind of flavor you want in your RP.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Yeah, if you're Carni and you are enemied to BL, just go hiii and I'll poke people and fix it.

I really want to emphasize that we are a very niche RP, though. There is a LOT of RP in Carni (and Cabal, and Syssin, Spines in general), but it can be very niche. Make sure that is something you are interested in RPing.
  • In Lusternia, the closest analogue to Carnifex (Ur'Guard) has kept me out of it's ranks only due to the fact that I don't want to deal with the rest of the drama that is Magnagora. And, from the surface reading/rp logs/talking to players in the guild, it sounds to me like the two are fairly similar. Worst case? I give it a go, I decide I don't care for it while a recruit, I part ways and hope my head stays attached to my shoulders more than half the time. XD
    Yeah, heh, we aren't Mag (I was Glommie, Sadhyra, Harb GM during Talan's reign). Guild is technically linked to BL. Guild's identity is very separate from city. We are one of the few guilds really rocking the we're us bish identity outside of city - BL is pretty similar to Mag, but Carnis are totally able to swing wherever they want, be that super crazy cliche evil or insanely gray.
    This is all assuming you want evil. Obviously I'm biased - I lead Spines, I lead Carnis...and I also really appreciate new members, especially those into RP. I'm soooo biased, so don't trust me at all!

That being said, if you want specific things, say them! We will help you find what's perfect for you!
  • Oh, alignment is whatever. I could use a stint being the "bad guy", been far too heroic in any of the tabletop games I've played lately :)

How is Carnifex as far as pvp is concerned? For being viable/useful, typical tritrans investment? As I said previously, I already have...I think all the miniskills and everything else that's not guild/class specific transed except for weaponry. Or am I also looking at large amounts of credits on weapons and the like? For reference, at the moment as far as artifacts go, I believe I have an eye of thingie (see hidden exits), the proficiency bracers with an enhancement(3) and a...soul anchor (I think) attached to it...oh, and runed pipes. Which, since I'm guessing since Carnifex is linked to BL, I'll be looking at having to go undead and wishing for syringes instead...good to know.
  • Carnifex are not required to be undead. BL requires citizens be undead or Azudim, but Spinesreach doesn't care what you are. So if you're like me and Spirean/Carnifex, you're able to be living. Carnifex revamp is dropping soon (not even Soon(tm), just soon!) and it''ll require trans vision as all aff classes do,(though that may change in this liaison round) and tri-trans to be super useful.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Carni revamp is gonna be bamf. We can hack people and eat hearts to grow stronger and make dogs bang and I swear I am a responsible GM people have put trust in
    IshinBuford
  • ...that sounds awesome. Especially the dogs banging part. Expect a nearly century old noob to be bugging you guys :)
  • Zeksagmek said:

...that sounds awesome. Especially the dogs banging part. Expect a nearly century old noob to be bugging you guys :)

It is imperative that you do not mix up anything in the list 'hack people, eat hearts, make dogs bang'. It gets...messy.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Ishin
    ALL OF THESE THINGS ARE HAPPENING SHHH TOZ
  • edited September 2014
    Managed to join! Didn't realize I could go through Certim...thingie despite Zek being a century old. Today is a good day. Some interesting reading, though I wasn't as focused as I could have been since what had been a completely dead day at worked turned into not that as I was getting my orientation. Thanks for the patience @Ouza!

Now to convince the commander that I'd be a really, really awesome person to be a sponsor for...