The month of December 2012

2»

Comments

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    What is CC?
  • Crowd control. Disabling or removing something (or someone) from combat to better maintain control over whatever you may be fighting.
    Angwe
    Okay, thanks.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Irruel said:
    Oleis said:
    The problem with rolling it out to everyone is that it's a complete rewrite of the way every ability handles targeting. So yeah, it's going into 90% of everything new we write, but retrofitting into other classes would be hellish.
    Fair enough!
    Mind you, it would only need to be one ability per class, and a few classes already have them.

Maybe instead something in weaponry that would be a baseline CC, the weakest version. So that eventually it is superseded by class abilities, but in the mean time at least everyone gets to play with the new style of bashing?

To be honest, that's really something to think about. I miiiight say that 'sprucing up bashing' should be the theme (or one of the themes) of the next Liaison round. We will have to see. Thanks for mentioning this.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    BraydenXavin
  • Harrowing in Shamanism, Arb. Fears mobs. They do tend to run in random directions and end up in the same room as me on an annoyingly often basis, but it has still changed the whole way I see Aetolian bashing, particularly in groups (damned aberrations).

Now I just want everyone to be able to enjoy it. I have no idea how many other abilities like it already exist in the game - I'm just quite certain it is worth the effort of creating more if there aren't many.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I think sprucing up bashing would also involve a lot of heavy work with the mobs themselves. Right now, Aet NPCs are mostly damage and basic afflictions. Tougher mobs do more damage/take longer to kill/give a few more affs. It's a fairly basic system and having extra ways to hit them won't really add much more depth unless the mobs themselves get spruced up, too. 

I was thinking a while back how awesome it would be to have like NPC gladiators you could fight against who cure with like firstaid or something, but Raz says that's not currently possible. :( Still, there could be a bit more diversity added, perhaps - hitting NPCs with certain affs or proning or whatever could change how they attack back or something. I know a lot of newbs (especially in classes like Syssin or Knights) get a bit bummed when they learn that they can't actually afflict the NPCs.
    Brayden
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Moirean said:
    I think sprucing up bashing would also involve a lot of heavy work with the mobs themselves. Right now, Aet NPCs are mostly damage and basic afflictions. Tougher mobs do more damage/take longer to kill/give a few more affs. It's a fairly basic system and having extra ways to hit them won't really add much more depth unless the mobs themselves get spruced up, too. 

I was thinking a while back how awesome it would be to have like NPC gladiators you could fight against who cure with like firstaid or something, but Raz says that's not currently possible. :( Still, there could be a bit more diversity added, perhaps - hitting NPCs with certain affs or proning or whatever could change how they attack back or something. I know a lot of newbs (especially in classes like Syssin or Knights) get a bit bummed when they learn that they can't actually afflict the NPCs.
    Yeah. He's absolutely correct that a wide range of afflicting and curing isn't possible without an unbelievable amount of work, but we can add some basic functionality. That's primarily why I suggested the liaison round -- even though such a thing doesn't directly deal in 'combat' balance, necessarily, it lets us devote a period of focused work to complete player requests. A few of you seemed to really enjoy the 'theme' aspect of this round, too. Hehe.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Irruel said:
    Harrowing in Shamanism, Arb.
    You act like the GM of Shamwow should know the class's skills.  @Mariena?

• @Oleis
    I don't necessarily think that we need a wide range of mob afflicting. I know you're responding to Moirean's suggestion, and I agree with her that it would be a cool thing to have.

It's more about the difficult nature of group bashing areas. To be challenging, they have to hit SO HARD that they actually become impossible. Aberrations are a solo area for patient end-gamers running hit-and-run tactics. Even a group of end-gamers will die more often in a group than alone.

It's not your (or whoever designed the area) fault, it's just a limitation of bashing with damage only. But as soon as a group is capable of controlling the unpredictability of the mobs (fast moving groups of aggressive, hard hitting mobs) in ways that solo bashers can never hope to do, then we can have group bashing like the MMOs can have.

I don't know how the rest of you felt about the 5-man instances in wow, but when it was with friends, I enjoyed them. I also enjoyed our own Chapel Gardens, having to use a tiny bit of strategy and focus on the healers first.
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Arbre said:
    Irruel said:
    I know how to get the information, @arbre. Close enough for me.

AarbrokArbre
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    lol
  • Mariena said:
    Arbre said:
    Irruel said:
    I know how to get the information, @arbre. Close enough for me.
    "clt Hey Xavin, what do shamans use to XYZ?"

Arbre
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Clearly you are an important part of the Shaman community and should consider joining.

XavinArbreInfin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    omg your sig, omg.
    Omei
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I still want all this so much.

:(