OOC Tell Alias

Hi All,

Just as the title says, I'm trying to make an alias for tells called "ooc" that will precede my tell message with "OOC:"

So when I type: ooc hi varian

The game should output:You tell Varian OOC: hi varian

The problem I'm running into is that "setalias tell $1 OOC: $2" captures the first word of my tell but not the rest and "setalias tell $1 OOC: $*" outputs as, "You tell Varian: OOC: Varian blah blah blah" capturing the whole tell text but oddly repeating the recipients name oddly as well.

Anyone know how to get this working correctly? I'm using in game aliases for this because I'm on my phone's mud client (Blowtorch).

Comments

• TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    You could do something different... let's see here..

OOC VARIAN HI

You tell Varian, "OOC: HI."

That would be something like,
    Alias: ooc
    Code: tell %1 OOC: %0

Maybe? %0 Should, (SHOULD) constitute as a wildcard for everything past the first %1. Give it a shot?
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• It doesnt seem to recognize the % at all and outputs it as plain text. "Whom do you wish to tell?"

Hrm. I will do some digging into blowtorch and see how their alias stuff is set-up, bear with me!

Oh, well I'm an idiot, and still vaguely hungover. Try this:

Alias: ooc
    Code: TELL $1 OOC: $0
    Basically you need to see if blowtorch has a wildcard for 'everything sent after blah'.
    So like, ooc Trager Yo you drunk bastard would look like,

You tell Trager, "OOC: Yo you drunk bastard."

• Close! It outputs: "You tell Trager: OOC: ooc." @_@

• As simple as I think this 'should' be, I dont think it's currently possible through in-game aliases is it?

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    edited August 2014
    Kalinaar said:

Hi All,

Just as the title says, I'm trying to make an alias for tells called "ooc" that will precede my tell message with "OOC:"

The problem I'm running into is that "setalias tell $1 OOC: $2" captures the first word of my tell but not the rest and "setalias tell $1 OOC: $*" outputs as, "You tell Varian: OOC: Varian blah blah blah" capturing the whole tell text but oddly repeating the recipients name oddly as well.

Anyone know how to get this working correctly? I'm using in game aliases for this because I'm on my phone's mud client (Blowtorch).

Hrm... I've never used blowtorch before so this is kind of a wild guess but based on what you've said here it sounds like you just need to alter the second code to: "setalias tell OOC: $*".

If I'm understanding you correctly, the original code you tried "setalias tell $1 OOC: $*" does this when you type: ooc Varian Hi Varian! Just wanted to inform you Severn's misbehaving again.

It sends:
    tell Varian OOC: Varian Hi Varian! Just wanted to inform you Severn's misbehaving again.
    Which would result in this:
    You tell Varian, "Varian OOC: Hi Varian! Just wanted to inform you Severn's misbehaving again."

If that's true, that means "$*" captures everything. If that's the case then "setalias tell OOC: $*" should do this when you type the same message as above:
    tell Varian OOC: Hi Varian! Just wanted to inform you Severn's misbehaving again.
    Which would result in this:
    You tell Varian, "OOC: Hi Varian! Just wanted to inform you Severn's misbehaving again."
    Kalinaar said:

As simple as I think this 'should' be, I dont think it's currently possible through in-game aliases is it?

Yup! Although it'll be slightly complicated... Let me know if the above works or not and I'll try to explain how you might use the in-game alias system to do this same effect.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Riluo
  • Haven said:

Hi All,

Hrm... I've never used blowtorch before so this is kind of a wild guess but based on what you've said here it sounds like you just need to alter the second code to: "setalias tell OOC: $*". If I'm understanding you correctly, the original code you tried "setalias tell $1 OOC: $*" does this when you type: ooc Varian Hi Varian! Just wanted to inform you Severn's misbehaving again. It sends: tell Varian OOC: Varian Hi Varian! Just wanted to inform you Severn's misbehaving again. Which would result in this: You tell Varian, "Varian OOC: Hi Varian! Just wanted to inform you Severn's misbehaving again." If that's true, that means "$*" captures everything. If that's the case then "setalias tell OOC: $*" should do this when you type the same message as above: tell Varian OOC: Hi Varian! Just wanted to inform you Severn's misbehaving again. Which would result in this: You tell Varian, "OOC: Hi Varian! Just wanted to inform you Severn's misbehaving again."
    As simple as I think this 'should' be, I dont think it's currently possible through in-game aliases is it?

Yup! Although it'll be slightly complicated... Let me know if the above works or not and I'll try to explain how you might use the in-game alias system to do this same effect.

Hey Haven! Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion but named my alias "ooc" so basically I'm typing "setalias ooc tell OOC: $*" which I think is what you're suggesting. Am I right? So, I tried it and I'm getting a very strange output.

When I type "ooc haven ohi! I broke teh mud!"

It outputs "You tell Haven OOC: ooc."

.....Now I'm just confused lol! It seems like the $* is referencing the very first thing I typed in the message.

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    edited August 2014
    Kalinaar said:

Hey Haven! Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion but named my alias "ooc" so basically I'm typing "setalias ooc tell OOC: $*" which I think is what you're suggesting. Am I right? So, I tried it and I'm getting a very strange output.

When I type "ooc haven ohi! I broke teh mud!"

It outputs "You tell Haven OOC: ooc."

.....Now I'm just confused lol! It seems like the $* is referencing the very first thing I typed in the message.

Hrm...now I'm confused. In any case, there's still the option of using the in-game alias and targeting system if you're up for that.

In the game you'd type:
    1. setalias osend tell &person OOC: &message
    2. settarget person Kalinaar
    3. settarget message Testing! Testing! 1. 2. 5? :)
    4. osend
    You'd receiving the following results from the game for each step:
    1. Alias "osend" will now execute: "tell &person OOC: &message"
    2. Target person = Kalinaar.
    3. Target message = Testing! Testing! 1. 2. 5? :).
    4. You tell Kalinaar, "OOC: Testing! Testing! 1. 2. 5? :)"
    You'd really only have to repeat steps 3 & 4 if you spoke to one person. You'd only have to do step #2 if you wanted to switch who you're communicating with. Not exactly elegant but a bandage til we can figure out what's blowtorch'es capture all command.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Thanks Haven. I had considered using targeting also but while bashing its a real pain. What would be really awesome is if ooc was just added as a new embedded command within aetolia for ooc tells. Would save all of us the headache lol :)

Haven
  • If you try changing it from 'ooc' as the alias name to prevent the ooc in your command from breaking it, and use $1, $2, etc. for wildcards?

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Drahkuna
    The confusing part for me via blowtorch when I was trying to look it up was they don't seem to have a global wildcard, of sorts. Or like, "From here to here." (For you more picture oriented folk, |------|)