Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Thats correct Mephistoles and that is his point, You are Bloodloch
  • edited July 2014
    @Aarbrok, one of the the people to reply to me and talk to me about it was Ishin. Another was Moirean. Neither of them are Bloodlochian. You probably shouldn't have assumed that they replied because I was from Bloodloch.

EDIT: Really, Aarbock? I'm trolling because I pointed out that I didn't get information from Bloodlochians?
    Ishin
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Yarel: I'm really glad you're doing this, but not everyone using the charm is so forthcoming with response to questions and investigations or attempts to emote as you are. One simple response for those who feel they suck at RP, but want to participate in this fun thing, would be to relay people to others for further information. Just as an example.

Aarbrok
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I have made a post and added a book to the library explaining things, as well as made log notes. Information has been provided.
    InfinMephistolesPiper
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Still enjoying my vacation, glad to see everyone is up in arms over nothing. Keep up the rage folks, it totes changes things. See you Monday.
    TragerAarbrokIshinRiluoStathanIlyonPiper
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    @Mephistoles‌: I wasn't saying that PK is not part of the game and a form or roleplaying your character. I'm saying that not all people want to feel forced into PKing back for something randomly done to their character. This is equivalent of someone going around kicking people to create conflict, only the people with charms have a backstory. Also, if you haven't noticed, diplomacy hasn't really yielded anything aside from Aarbrok's rampant spiel, meaning that route has been shut, leaving only the PK response open (and even encouraged by people here on the forums, which is what I take offense to), which means asking others for help. We both know, I think, that the conflict doesn't end after one fight if someone else asks another person to help with taking revenge for a valid PK reason. Things will escalate because the instigator (the charm user) will want to kill someone for dying when they get PKd.
    If you have sufficient RP reason to go up and slap (I'm going with slap instead of kick since kick actually does damage mechanically and slap and the needle don't) someone to create conflict, you can do that. You just has to be ready to accept the consequences. My character can be standing at NoT and Daskalos can come up and slap him if there is enough reason. I PK a little bit, but I generally cannot beat Dask, so I have to decide if my character sucks it up, tries to fight a losing battle, or tries to talk it out. It isn't any different than this. So lets say I try to be diplomatic with Daskalos. He doesn't bite. So now I can escalate things or de-escalate things. I probably cannot win against him in a straight fight, so I choose to suck it up and go away. There isn't anything wrong with that situation. Sometimes diplomacy doesn't work. There are consequences to all of this, and so far it seems like all the people doing it, at least that I've spoken with, are pretty willing to risk bounties and PK to do it. If you don't want to be involved at all then you go to your city, or your haven or somewhere far away from people. Stuff doesn't always go exactly how you want it, and that's part of what makes RP in Aetolia interesting. @Nola, I still don't think it's god modding. Sure, it's quick, but lots of things are. A character can run into the room, slap your character, and then leave before you've got a chance to speak up. However that isn't god modding. If someone were to run into the room, drop several long emotes about beating you up while you're helpless and then run away, now that would be god modding.
    That is godmoding though. We just have varying levels of what's acceptable in Aetolia depending on the person. That aside, I dunno, I think a lot of the OOC outrage about this are over reactions. Don't get me wrong, there are some legitimate concerns like the shield issue. I don't know if they changed it but shielding is ineffective because the charmer can shield strip and sap on the same balance and usually get away before the victims can do anything to counter. There should be a reliable measure to counter the charm. But yeah, from an RP standpoint, I feel like there are options available that aren't being utilized for one reason or another by the light side.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    MephistolesJensen
    @Mephistoles Its like whose line is it anyway, where the points dont matter and everyone wins.
  • edited July 2014
    Haven said:

That is godmoding though. We just have varying levels of what's acceptable in Aetolia depending on the person.

That aside, I dunno, I think a lot of the OOC outrage about this are over reactions. Don't get me wrong, there are some legitimate concerns like the shield issue. I don't know if they changed it but shielding is ineffective because the charmer can shield strip and sap on the same balance and usually get away before the victims can do anything to counter. There should be a reliable measure to counter the charm. But yeah, from an RP standpoint, I feel like there are options available that aren't being utilized for one reason or another by the light side.

I guess I'll have to chalk it up to personal interpretations of what god modding is.

The rest of that I think I agree with though.
  • For what it's worth, I've tried -multiple- avenues of RP to get this stopped or altered or at least more balanced. It doesn't seem like that's where things are intended to go, and that's fine. It is what it is, and if the admin or certain gods have their agenda, cool.

I still think it's a valid complaint people are making, that half the opposite side of the game (who are admittedly full of PK-heavy people) have this neat mechanic that is basically stealing a part of someone's soul, or essence, or shadow, or whatever you want to call it. And the option is to a) never stop moving, b) spam shield, c) log off, d) go to your haven. And it's being met widely with, "Ha. So PK us then. PK is SO a RP option." Which, @mephistoles, you're a smart dude, man, and you're not a goober. You know damn well that's kind of silly. It is the mud's most PK-heavy Order doing most of it. I agree with you, PK -is- RP. But at some point you have to take a step back and admit that that's kind of a lame fallback.

You argue that we were given mechanical support to fight back against it. We were given a vigilante and some fucking graffiti paint. Against people who are committing, ICly, what amounts to heinous violations. Like we're protesting the banning of alcohol or some stupid shit. I mean, I appreciate any interaction with the staff here, and I think they all know that. That stuff with the vigilante is hilarious. But it's not the same, and that's a bogus argument as well.

Enorian begins issuing bounties for it and within an hour I have people threatening to mass-PK since they're bountied anyway, threatening to PK random people, accusing me of abusing the bounty system, or just plain bitching about it. And you know, I almost agree with you. I don't think the bounty system should really be used for what amounts to some world-level RP arc, but it's all we have. So, sorry.

If I run around and godmote stealing your testicles, chances are you'd get pretty frustrated and start ignoring it after a while. Especially if you were not a PKer and I was, or if you just didn't -want- to PK me every 15 minutes. Because we all know the bounties aren't going to stop anybody, and neither is being PK'd. Exterminations proved that.

Either way, I did my part. I tried to find RP ways through this, to the point of shit that would ultimately have some pretty grave consequences for my character. At this point I'm going to go into chill mode, issue my bounties when they're called for, and pretend like I care beyond the irritation it is going to cause when the lolpkers start whacking people in retribution. I'm almost to the point now where I'm inclined to ignore the entire arc.

ArekaKerryn
    edited July 2014
    Edit: Trolling
  • That wasn't the Research clan that was on, and the vast majority of us said that raiding was pretty dumb in general.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

MephistolesIshin
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    It sounds to me with the vigilante stuff that the gods are willing to play around with ideas for the victims. I dunno what Enorian has done since I was last on but perhaps you could try and track down where these charms are being dropped off and them use the vigilante or whatever to try and kidnap the person for interrogation. I dunno, I just don't think we're all that helpless from a story point of view. My view is pretty limited so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Mephistoles
  • Make it a 5s channel, or 4s channel. Immediate knock to bal/eq, start line. 4s later, bal back/you get the whatever it is done. If they don't consent to you doing whatever the heck it is, they have plenty of time to move. If they do, they just chill there.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

AryanneAarbrokHavenNolaTeaniKerrynArekaElie
    That would sate me, @Toz to the rescue....
    That removes the troll element of it completely and gives people a chance to do something about it.
  • That would remove -so- much of the complaints.

It's the equivalent of getting an emote and going around like, 'Rashar reaches out and puts his finger into your face, sending a blast of flame that destroys your eye.' or something.

I mean, sure. Slap a bit of mending on that shit and call it a day, or whatever. (Some coder is going to be like 'You IIDIOOT, YOU NEED EPIDERMAL FOR THAT'). But you get what I'm saying. A channel would at least make it so people felt like they had an option other than to just bend over and take the RP with literally no option but to react.
    AarbrokNolaTeaniKerrynElie
    and...through pages of rage and distaste, a simple solution was found.
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited July 2014
    I am a little disappointed that people are taking this to the forums instead of rping it IG. I for one have emoted at 90% of the people I take the test on. In fact I walk in emote taking notes, observing people then I state very plainly, "I require you to yield to this test." Then I wait for 5-10 secs, then I do it. I give ample time and that really frustrates me that people are claiming there is no rp. I suck at emoting on my tablet/phone as it auto corrects everything badly, but the effort is there.

Now in terms of the emote I used on someone at Delos that was a silly move on my part and it was uncalled for. I should know better and I feel a foolish for doing it as a person, but as Riluo I could give two Sh8ts what people think. Riluo is a sociopath without any real desire to do anything that does not serve his agenda.

However, as for my personal rage:

It really gets on my nerves that IC info is being shared on the forums to "get back at others." It is uncalled for and part of the reason I mostly do not reply on here to IC info as I feel it is something best kept in the game. I hope that everyone can take that into account before posting and look at IG solutions first before jumping to OOC means to instigate forum roleplay.

UPDATE:

I am all for the 5 second balance as it seems fair.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

AarbrokTeaniIshinAnise
    I called you out @Riluo bb... and Riluo just laughed at poor insignificant Aarbrok, but was very cordial about it and his reason. It didn't make Aarbrok less mad IC, but I appreciate it!

PS, You emote very well from a tablet :)
    RiluoTragerElie
  • edited July 2014
    I should clarify, since I'm not sure if @Rilou is referring to something I posted or not, but @Mephistoles‌ was nice enough to point it out to me. That mention of the RP Arc was entirely unintentional (as far as sharing it publically goes) because it had been talked about on a Clan prior to foruming, and I just mixed the two up. I've since removed it, as soon as it was pointed out, but I still do feel really bad about it. I honestly had it in my mind it was mentioned in a post prior to mine.

I'm upset at the unfairness of the situation it puts our side in, but that doesn't mean I'm about to go out of my way to be spiteful!

Aarbrok
    ..yeah and I am trying to see if I included anything in my spree that isnt already knowledge or things that have been IC shared between various parties yet, I think I have covered myself IC before I said anything on the forums though so everything should be general knowledge, if I spoilered toss me a message and I can edit D:
  • edited August 2014
    Riluo said:

I am a little disappointed that people are taking this to the forums instead of rping it IG. I for one have emoted at 90% of the people I take the test on. In fact I walk in emote taking notes, observing people then I state very plainly, "I require you to yield to this test." Then I wait for 5-10 secs, then I do it. I give ample time and that really frustrates me that people are claiming there is no rp. I suck at emoting on my tablet/phone as it auto corrects everything badly, but the effort is there.

Now in terms of the emote I used on someone at Delos that was a silly move on my part and it was uncalled for. I should know better and I feel a foolish for doing it as a person, but as Riluo I could give two Sh8ts what people think. Riluo is a sociopath without any real desire to do anything that does not serve his agenda.

I was the receiver of that emote and I still feel a little shocked by it. The charm stuff, sure okay.. I've given up trying to get any meaningful RP out of it and I've decided to 1-stay in my haven or 2-not log on at all. Ianea was obviously furious over it afterward but really, she's going to kill some badass riding around on a dragon? Not likely. (She took out some of that anger on @Trager shortly afterward. Sorry!)

This happened within the span of 29 seconds and 11 seconds elapsed between the emote and him leaving. I hadn't even finished reading it before he was gone.

Riluo enters from the east, riding the elder dragon, Re'augar.

Riluo affixes an onyx centipede charm to the back of your neck, the sharp steel bits of the jeweled animal breaking skin. Your vision blurs momentarily, and you feel a subtle weariness settle in as your shadow is weakened.

You crease your brow in a frown.

A cloaked figure looks at you from beneath his cowl, his elongated hands scribing notes as he walks around you. Pausing mid step he looks down at your pants and mutters under his breath, "Excessive anal bleeding... either been raped by Xarian or has bad hermarodies."

"Mmmm..." a cloaked figure softly utters.

A cloaked figure says, "Voltda."
    A sulfurous portal opens in the ground before Riluo and he quickly jumps into it before it snaps shut behind him.

I put this here, because people are saying RP, why don't you RP!

Well, I've been trying and this is what I get, so no thanks.
    Gwenith
  • Yeah. That's pretty class. Also, even that is more than I've heard of a -lot- of people getting.

Also.. hermarodies. That sounds like a candy you buy at a gas station.
    Trager
  • I pretty much only just heard about this Shadowplague thing. I got pretty excited about it and I was hoping to instigate some RP. Meet with one of the people doing it, talk, try and give a bit of fight for a nice RP scene but as I was organizing it I pretty much got yanked, charmed and the dude left before I could react. I can't PK this person so that's not an option. I would have been pretty satisfied if there was some RP involved since I'm an RP driven character. Nothing. I'm pretty disappointed that 1) no rp and 2) ruins plans for RP involving it.

Time to sit about and do nothing until it wears off I suppose.

Politics
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited August 2014
    @Ianea Yeah I apologise that was uncalled for on my part and extremely pathetic, I got swept up in the whole zerg of it and there is no excuse for being so crass in that emote.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

GwenithKerryn
  • Okay reading that I'm sorta glad there was no RP now.

Politics
  • This reminds me of when Chakrasul first came around and there was that whole corrupt emote people got pissed about.

I just don't see some of the logic in all this. Sure some people are being unicorns about it and don't know how to properly RP it but everyone is always whining about how nothing happens in Aetolia whaaa I'm so bored! Then when something does happen its: "Noooo this isn't going the way -I- want it to!" or "This doesn't benefit the goodies/baddies so it sucks."

Buck up, make the best of it and deal with it IG in the best way you can instead of whining so much.
    FaerahIngramMephistolesHavenJensenIshinAryanneAniseIlyonIosyne
  • It's the nature of the item that's causing the problem, not necessarily the conflict. Just like Templars are obnoxious to deal with because of how easy they can achieve their kill conditions, I can see how this charm is a pain in the ass to handle as well.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

TragerAarbrokRiluo
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    I've been taking a bit of a break for various reasons and ignoring the forums. And for the first time in like a week I log in and see what was it someone said "Exterminate 2.0" and that's exactly what came to mind.

Yes I've read the whole discussion. Yes I feel that people were over-reacting. I also feel that some of them were put in some very horrible situations, and one of those already having been apologized for.

Since I've been playing on and off since like 2 days after Aetolia has opened, and seen the come and go of war systems, guilds, great people. Seeing memorials turn up missing in guildhalls for players that ended up in car accidents on the way to work. (If I could remember a name from 8 years ago I'd point it out specifically) About all of the world events, and all of that.

I feel honest and comfortable saying, when there is micro-divine RP, one or two organizations, people tend to have fun. When there is an event, The shadowplague being the most recent, where people can be abusive or abused in situations relating to the event, even so far back as mid tier fighters from a guild/city being targeted during a war that they helped for 1 fight then stopped because they knew they couldn't help and then had to spend a week or two either in their main city (and hope that was enough) or logged until it was over. Every time an event encompasses a majority of the peoples on either side, there is going to be increasing levels of unrest until the matter is resolved because one side of the fence or the other is going to feel they are in a position where they can't do anything. Sometimes the side is okay with it because the event plays out and is over. Other times when the event lingers on people get more and more frustrated and miss out on good RP chances because they are avoiding the abuse of the bad ones.

Call it preachy if you like, I've seen the cycle enough times to know that when I do log in, I'm staying in my haven unless Order or City matters pull me out.
    AarbrokTragerIshin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    It is like the Hearts of Darkness bows but with IC consequences and no ability to really address them - that we have no peace, that we have no defense, that homes are being invaded and the only safety you are guaranteed to have is to go to your haven and never leave it until this arc is done.

PK is pointless. It has no purpose outside of increasing the enemy's entertainment. It does not bring an end, only encourages more unicorns. It is not something that the larger population affected can effectively participate in either.

This leaves the same badfeels with me as when Enorian killed Procurio without setting foot in the city, from across the continent, without any significant signs of anything really going on save a few vague shouts before hand.

I feel it is godmoding as "despite being encased in steel I'm going to break the skin on your armoured neck and leave before you can bat an eye." I feel a channel or balance time would help with this.

I feel disappointed with the playerbase for forever taking the stance that "it doesn't inconvenience me and I'm having fun and you guys can respond with something that I enjoy so you shouldn't be complaining," and being incredibly dismissive of the impact it has on others' play time, on just the blase player level of being aware and accepting just what your decisions are even if it doesn't change your choices.
    ErzsebetKerrynNolaTeani
This discussion has been closed.