Combat Peers

I wonder if it would be useful if there was a function whereby we could see those matching our own skill level more easily? Don't get me wrong - being beaten up regularly by characters 450 times your might is a very helpful learning process. But I could also do with finding more people of my own skill level to spar with, and that is proving pretty hard. We need a command such as COMBAT PEERS which lists everyone of a similar might to you. Looking at the HONOURS command for the entire WHO list is a but of a pain...
HavenIshin

Comments

• LimLim
    edited July 2014
    If you're trying to match by peers, then I think the factors to look at are a bit more nuanced than might. Off the top of my head:
    1. Whether they have endgame curing (renew, erase, reconstitute)
    2. Whether they have endgame enhancements
    3. Whether they have focus (from survival)
    4. Whether they have recovery (from survival)
    5. Whether they have clearmind (from survival)
    6. Whether they have discernment (from vision)
    7. Whether they have the necessary guild skills to do 1v1 PvP (differs from guild to guild)
    8. Whether they have trans miniskills/avoidance.
    I'd actually also like something like that so we can find matches for combat practice. Right now, aside from scouring for sparring partners, the only other combat mechanic is Sect of Blades. However, most people who sect spar are in the middle-upper to upper tiers of combat. It is a very steep learning curve. The fact that they're mostly there to win and collect points (v.s. being there to learn from one another) makes it a difficult place to learn sparring from. It's not impossible, just not conducive.

It would be nice to have a safe space for learners people to spar and practice. Educational combat, rather than competitive, where the common understanding isn't to beat your opponent into the dust, but to help and learn from one another.

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Lim said:

If you're trying to match by peers, then I think the factors to look at are a bit more nuanced than might. Off the top of my head:

1. Whether they have endgame curing (renew, erase, reconstitute)
    2. Whether they have endgame enhancements
    3. Whether they have focus (from survival)
    4. Whether they have recovery (from survival)
    5. Whether they have clearmind (from survival)
    6. Whether they have discernment (from vision)
    7. Whether they have the necessary guild skills to do 1v1 PvP (differs from guild to guild)
    8. Whether they have trans miniskills/avoidance.
    I'd actually also like something like that so we can find matches for combat practice. Right now, aside from scouring for sparring partners, the only other combat mechanic is Sect of Blades. However, most people who sect spar are in the middle-upper to upper tiers of combat. It is a very steep learning curve. The fact that they're mostly there to win and collect points (v.s. being there to learn from one another) makes it a difficult place to learn sparring from. It's not impossible, just not conducive.

It would be nice to have a safe space for learners people to spar and practice. Educational combat, rather than competitive, where the common understanding isn't to beat your opponent into the dust, but to help and learn from one another.

I agree that we need a better sparring system for a variety of reasons but I can't also help but feel that the bolded part is something that your city's War Ministry should be focusing on to some degree.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Teani
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I'd rather have a confit sparview on/off where you get a prompt to watch sect and arena events across the realm
  • @Haven‌ :

In an ideal world, yeah. But if we took a look at the number of learners, I don't think it's possible to achieve the kind of critical mass of participants necessary to set up sparring rings at City levels. So, I do sympathise with the combat city leaders. To achieve critical mass, it needs to be game wide. A sparwho of sorts.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    That's what the PK clan was made for.
  • Yeah I like the idea of a newbie sparwho. When you say PK clan do you mean Sect of Blades Moirean?
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I mean the clan I made after you asked for a newbie PK clan at the last Town Hall - see CLANHELP PK and poke us for an invite. :)

I know what you're getting at. You want something similar to Avalon's peers system, but it's not really the same here, due to how lessons are earned. In Avalon, you get lessons for logged in time, so larger might usually meant someone had more experience with gameplay. Buying lessons directly/buying credits is much more common so someone can be omnitrans within their first week of playing.

All that being said, the sparring system is a bit lackluster. I always wished that you could do 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 stuff with sparwho. There used to be a sparring channel you could talk on but it got disabled years ago (or am I just recalling Achaea?). I used to do training spars with newbs a lot more, but I find myself pretty busy these days...and there just feels like there's so much less to teach, as most of the stuff new people need to do is stuff on their own end - getting a system, writing basic offense settings, doing affliction tracking. I can give advice, but it's not like the old days. Tricks and cool kill routes are a lot more rare. PK is pretty heavily focused on having good code, which isn't something you can teach in an arena, along with general awareness, which is mostly something you just need to die a lot to learn (or be able to snag messages, like from my project listing instakill lines).
  • Amazing! I didn't realise that had been brought in. :smile:
    Yeah, I am not short of teachers, people have been great. Just people of a similar size to me. Thanks!