Quick RP Questions

Comments

• I think of it like the word "mother" - it is a general noun for anyone's female parent; however, when a person says, "Hello, Mother." they are then using it as a proper noun, and it becomes a name.

As such: Does that mean the aetolian sun is just called "Sun" as well? Likewise with the moon, since we seem to only have one of those, either?

Which leads to my own question:

This is probably out there already and I just don't know - what is the actual name of the planet aetolia exists on? I occasionally run into the problem of not knowing this so substituting things like "the world" or "the realm" or whatever, because I'm not certain if "What on Earth?!" actually even makes sense.

IshinMephistoles
  • AuresaeAuresae Minneapolis
    Oh! Oh! I know this one!

The planet is called Aetolia. The continents are Sapience and Albedos.
    AarbrokXavinOmeiIshinHaernEmelleAshmer
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Yeah we found out the name of the planet being Achaea in the aptly named other game due to the death laser that we blew up one of the moons with when Alchemist class came out, and now Achaea has rings.
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Wow that is actually pretty cool sounding.

Ishin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Most Aetolians probably don't realize it's a planet, though, save for the ones that Omei's pulled out to the moon. I've not really seen any steampunk Copernican roleplay and it's clear that the science behind it in Aetolia is kinda fuuunky and weird (hi there Hycanthus rearranging constellations).
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    edited July 2014
    Does this mean if we build a ylem spaceship that we could invade the other games? I'd side with lifers to conquer Achaea

let the holobombs drop
    HavenIshinAarbrokTeaniEmelleCatherine
  • Am I a perv because in that picture I see some sort of shark creature mating with another shark creature?
    AryanneGwenithAshmerIshinCatherine
    no, you're a weirdo for not thinking Howls Moving Castle
    HavenAshmerIshinHaernTrager
  • Believe it or not, our cosmology follows some pretty consistent rules. Not that I'm gonna let on what those are!

i am rapture coder
    Xavin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Yeah! You're consistently making up new rules.
    OmeiAshmerIshinTragerEmelleXavinHavenCatherineAngwe
    Maybe it does recently. There literally was a past event where Hycanthus was like YO GUYS I GOT A CHALICE AND IT SHAPES THE SKY and they swirled the stars around and put Karim's face up there.
    Emelle
    Ready the ships, Achaea won't know what hit them.
    IshinHaven
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    I hear their kai chokes and mind crushes are still OP :\

IshinAarbrok
  • They'd murder us. So many artifacts, much grief.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

IshinAarbrok
  • Moirean said:

Maybe it does recently. There literally was a past event where Hycanthus was like YO GUYS I GOT A CHALICE AND IT SHAPES THE SKY and they swirled the stars around and put Karim's face up there.

You are now: tripping hard.
    Emelle
  • Yeah let's not talk about what they used to do back in the day.

i am rapture coder
    EmelleXavinAshmerAryanneCatherine
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I don't remember if I asked this somewhere else or not...but these style scrolls for bashing. Are these things that are within the scope of our characters' powers to do, or are they just something for us players to look at other than Ishin uses Subterfuge Garrote.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth

All the ones I've seen for Praenomen and Teradrim make sense. The Praenomen ones I have involve mental things, which ties in with mentis, and the Teradrim ones are all about exerting more physical strength, which especially makes sense if you add in earthenform.

• Generally, they all involve things that are fairly feasible. So the classes that are mostly martial get more martial flavor out of the style scrolls, where as your more magical classes get largely magical flavor out of them.

• I've been wondering about shapeshifting, primarily how to explain why all of a sudden they can be understood by everyone. It doesn't make any sense to me, and part of me wants to maintain the original RP understanding of it where I couldn't understand them when not in a shapeshifting form. Are there any explanations for this that make sense that came with the change?

• Re constellations: I quite like the stories behind them. When you go through them even karim's story fits

Politics
    Mythology =/= cosmology, though. Mythology is absolutely cool and fun to have as a folktale version for why things are (see: Hashan origin folktale), but when that stuff is the ACTUAL origin story, it makes talk about science behind it seem really weird and tacked on.
  • So wait, why are you complaining about the Karim's story?

Politics
    Because Omei says that there's like natural laws behind that stuff. Which makes the stuff that's all woooeeeoooomagic confusing - do we just ignore past events like that? How do we plug it in? It's more of a general issue with Aetolia. There was a lot of wtf, derpy, random and tangential stuff done in the earlier days, most of it without any apparent regard to lore. I'm a bit curious how we should treat that stuff now that Aetolia's lore is way more mature and thoughtful.
  • Much like the '70s of American history, unicorns got weird and we try to pretend it didn't happen.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• Well, keep in mind that things like artifacts can bend or even outright break natural laws. Or at least it seems like they can.

• Moirean said:

Because Omei says that there's like natural laws behind that stuff. Which makes the stuff that's all woooeeeoooomagic confusing - do we just ignore past events like that? How do we plug it in? It's more of a general issue with Aetolia. There was a lot of wtf, derpy, random and tangential stuff done in the earlier days, most of it without any apparent regard to lore. I'm a bit curious how we should treat that stuff now that Aetolia's lore is way more mature and thoughtful.

This is why the Grand Artifice was invented - even if the stuff you're describing took place after the fact, there's still a lot of anomalous stuff reflective of the fact that reality itself is not always true.

Or at least, that's how I'm gonna think about it until otherwise proven.
    Emelle
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Artifice is the answer to everything.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    JensenEmelleIshinDamarielAryanne
  • I'm going to say that there may be natural laws to everything but you might not understand them. In the end it's a game with high fantasy tones so some disbelief has to be suspended. I mean the gods put other constellations in the sky why not this one? It would have sucked for storyline if it turned into 'all these have stories... But this on. it just appeared" having give a mortal the chance to impact the game is awesome in my books.

Or you can subscribe to Gwen thinking that this is the Artfuce were living through now.

Politics
  • @Slyphe, does your trident have a name? I know @Damariel's hammer has a name, and Arion's axe was called "The Axiom", so does the trident actually have a name or title beyond "trident"?