Haven Locke

2»

Comments

• After rping with him a few more times..

Man. What a grump.

I guess he's not so bad, though.

;)
    Haven
  • Alee respects Haven's stance, shes wanted to chat with him more previously... but she isn't much of a conversationalist.
    Haven
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Alee said:
    Alee respects Haven's stance, shes wanted to chat with him more previously... but she isn't much of a conversationalist.
    It's okay, neither is he! He's kind of a hermit these days...sorta.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Ashmer
  • Yay Haven!

I'm often baffled by how much we've both unintentionally been witnesses to the changes happening in our characters over the years just from the coincidental direction they both went in that left them randomly bumping into one another on occasion as the years went by. From Arion's Order and young Nola despising Haven because of what he was and still being member to something he shouldn't be, to them running into each other on the bridge and Haven (either unintentionally or intentionally) stoking Nola's fiery resolve as a zealot, to Haven being curious and watching her craft in the Enorian complex when he broke away as a rogue, to them later finding each other again and again, and getting closer and closer until he eventually joined the Daru (after much pestering from many zealots, because many of us felt like that was where Haven belonged since the beginning). So much of Nola's life has involved Haven and even if it was in small roles at first, it was like it was all leading up to this moment for them.

Now that their historical overview is finished, onto recent experiences!

Haven has grown and changed a lot, and I've gotten to see so much of it with my own eyes through Nola as she herself changed. From the times he was a cold, stony Infernal and getting anywhere with him seemed impossible (you all can probably relate to this!) to when he started to change, gradually, very, very gradually. He was first this honor-bound knight of cruel, harsh ways and then there was the quiet pause, and the explosion of a fiery temperament (that Duiran got the brunt of). He took 'zealot' to a whole new level - even prosecuting Duiranites as savages because they were not directly aligned with the Light. Many of us Daru quietly admired this unrelenting spirit he had for our mutual cause, but we recognized his methods were always a 'too much fire'. But this fire gave the character such unique dimension and purpose, it added to the game world instead of taking away from it - it showed us all a different way to approach things by, and the force that was behind it was incredible.

Haven is a very real character. He has his own doubts, his own struggles, and his own set of beliefs and he will not bend them for anyone. Or will he? I see Haven has the most resolute of zealots - so narrow is his views that a simple lecture, even kicking him out of his organization or branding him enemy - will not change his view. But Nola has had the chance to see otherwise, and this likely why she believes so strongly in him, because he has come so far. He has a softer side to him now, and he has begun to meditate more and more on his choices and actions, seeking an 'alternative' when shown the true ravages of his actions.

It's really been like being a part of a story! I've loved every bit of our time interacting and your writing is colorful and detailed and expresses your character in a way that is not commonly seen, but still something to be appreciated and enjoyed.

I'm as always looking forward to how the two of them will grow next, beside one another and apart.

HavenErzsebetEmelleTrager

Haha, thank you. I really appreciate the affirm. I pour a lot of energy, time and thought into making Haven who he is and having him progress as naturally as possible in the world around him. It's really cool seeing the work pay off and seeing people enjoying the character and seeing all the different interpretations of him,  particularly those that got to witness him from the beginning. I know how infuriating and frustrating he can be and it's good to see that you among others are enjoying the ride leading up to and through his metamorphosis.

Despite all this, sometimes I get a little worried that he might grow to be boring to play and maybe even interact with.

havenbanner2
    TragerEmelle
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    I think most everyone worries about being boring, because we live inside our characters' heads. If we were actually boring, though, I doubt most people would keep coming back to RP with us ;)
    AryanneTragerErzsebetPiperHaven
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I always wish I had a reason to RP/RPPK with you, but a solid cause always seems to evade me.
    Haven
  • Well, all you have to do is say something to him. He's guaranteed to say something to piss you off, @jensen.

:)
    PiperHaven
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I'd be impressed, he doesn't get pissed easily
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Haven wronged me once in some RP or another and I've never let him live it down. I don't even remember why Aishia hates him anymore! I guess it must have been pretty bad, or something petty.
    edited August 2014
    Aishia said:

Haven wronged me once in some RP or another and I've never let him live it down. I don't even remember why Aishia hates him anymore! I guess it must have been pretty bad, or something petty.

Was Aishia Spirean or Bloodlochian first?
    havenbanner2
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Bloodlochian.
  • I just wanted to come and say that I am still, as always, enraptured by your writing through your roleplay. It is so expressive and enjoyable to read. It is hard not to feel like you'd deserve a better partner, someone who is 'on your level'.

That you seek me out to continue RPing with me makes me feel spoiled.

I've loved getting to see all these sides of Haven, and all the ways he's changed over the years. It's really quite special - I'm glad I've been here to witness it.
    ErzsebetHavenAloli

havenbanner2
    MoxieZaila
  • AloliAloli Between Books
    There are a handful of people in Aetolia who write amazingly well and for me to have the chance to interact regularly feels like a blessing, I feel lucky to have such a chance. I'm not only learning so much (about actions and reactions and how to handle), I'm thoroughly enjoying everything.

You are a talented writer and I will always look for more reasons to seek you out to interact because I'm learning a lot. I also love the random little things Haven does while they happen to be standing around. You show a lot of his personality through those things.

Thank you!
    Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
    Haven
  • man shut the unicorns up ;p

haven is a good bean. hawa will never quite 'get' him, probably, simply because he strikes her as too dogmatic, but he's one of the few dogmatic characters whose dogmatism doesn't make him any less fun to interact with. i appreciate that he looks past hawa's kooky facade a bit to actually engage her on a level that's not just "ugh ur just dumb." it's effort that frankly most people don't put in, but i think (hope?) it's worthwhile.

for everyone who finds his name annoying... CONFIG NAMETELL OFF ya dang nerds

p.s. first line is 10000000% jk - never stop shouting ever

p.p.s. HONEY GANG!
    (Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
    MoxieHaven
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    10/10 would send cake again.

Had fun with the little time I spent with him. Sorry that Axius and Haven could not get along together despite Axius... REALLY REALLY AWKWARD AND BAD ATTEMPTS AT TRYING TO BE FRIENDLY.
    Haven
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    I know these are mostly for RP and stuff, but I'm glad that Haven is an active part of the Aetolian community OOCly. I feel like he's a balancing force and he always brings a calming perspective to the table, with a much-more-grounded understanding of the stakes. We need more players like Haven.

HavenCaynNola
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    I just looked back at this and realized that I've SOMEHOW NEVER COMMENTED, WHAT?!

To build on Tetchta's above comment: Haven is one of my favourite people OOCly, because he's a chill, reasonable player who never gets peeved about IC situations OOCly.

Which naturally means that he is an absolute delight to be in an IC conflict with. Because I know he is neither getting OOCly upset about it, will act determinedly ICly about a situation, even if it the outcome will be ultimately detrimental to his character, and he is willing to lose without being OOCly upset about it (but also willing to win!).

Now on to the character! I've always enjoyed interacting with Haven on my various characters because:
    - His emotes are packed with character. Rarely is there a snippet of a Haven scene that I see in which Haven's mood and headspace and demeanor aren't clearly displayed
    - He has good scene pacing (by my metrics). While his tendency is to savor subtleties (something I enjoy in RP), his emotes never strike me as droning detail for detail's sake, but bringing life to the little things. But he also plays against the others in the scene well, briefer and shorter if appropriate.
    - Haven has always struck me as flexible to the influences of RP. The character has never seemed inconsistently played, but he has always struck me as a character who is genuinely impacted by his experiences: be it for better or worse. And that makes participating in those experiences tremendously enjoyable and rewarding as another player.
    - He'll play a villain who is willing to play hardball and is also willing to let his character lose. And that is Just. So. Fun.

That's the short list of what makes Haven awesome. If you like contentious RP in which you know no feelings are getting wounded OOCly - go roll up to Haven and sucker-punch him to get things started. You won't be disappointed!*

*unless he's afk. Probably send him a tell first.
    HavenMoxieCaynNolaAloli