The month of January 2013

Comments

• I for one will be happy to admit that Az is extremely racist against Yeleni. He left Iosyne's congregation because she let Lin in as a Yeleni. Az has always been very vocal in that regard. :-)
  • Need a lol tag
  • I am not against the down sizing, I am just saying regardless of the fact I have no actual date to post here, I wholeheartedly believe less people play MUDS now, then when say 10 or 15 years ago. I can't prove it, but I do think it is true. Every person I know irl who got me into muds when I was 12 (now 28) has quit playing. As I already stated, there will always people who will NEVER quit, like the die-hard fans we already have. But nonetheless with the way society and kids are now-a-days, you're more likely to be pregnant at 12, than being shown the joys of Mudding -.-
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    What, exactly, is the point that you are trying to make?
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • That no matter what they do to attract new players, it won't work out very well.
    BelakaiAngweIllikaal
  • edited February 2013
    @menelaus please just stop for a while, you are just spamming us all with the same thing over and over. We all get you are very bitter, but please just chill. Thank you.
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
    OrisaeInfinAmara
    Menelaus said:
    That no matter what they do to attract new players, it won't work out very well.
    So your advice is to not try? That's a really negative attitude. 
    ErzsebetOrisaeAmaraAngwe
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    edited February 2013
    Azrael said:
    I for one will be happy to admit that Az is extremely racist against Yeleni. He left Iosyne's congregation because she let Lin in as a Yeleni. Az has always been very vocal in that regard. :-)
    Hey, she changed!

She's so Azudim, now, she craps death.
    AxaiAzraelCalipso
  • @Menelaus While I don't agree with this change any more than you do, I don't think that the way to approach it is OOC name-calling, unwarranted elitism, and attempting to say that there's nothing we can do to get new people at all as a game.

Downsizing the number of houses and guilds will do nothing but help our playerbase issues. Downsizing houses and guilds arbitrarily and/or setting specific ones up to fall seems to me like it would effect the opposite and drive the older people away. I know a lot of people that are saying OH IF X GUILD GETS DELETED, OR X HOUSE, I QUIT FOREVER. And when they've spent the last however many years trying to build up an organization it's not all that surprising that straight deletion might be considered unfair, especially considering the other methods they're talking about putting in at the same time.

On a more productive note: @Razmael In regards to the change in novices and the Imperium, is the goal behind the change to give the Imperium relevance, or to elicit the destruction of houses.

imageimage
    Amara
  • You can count me in also as being really pissed if Bouchard gets dissolved. Bouchard reigned as tophouse for over a year, at lease for the year I was leader. The last few months saw it take a nose dive but this is true for most houses. We all seem to have our ups and downs. So where does one draw the line, activity during last 3 months, during the last 6 months, during the last year, every one of these would produce different results.

I understand the need to reduce the number of Houses but is there really a fair way to do it? And forcing the hand of the players in this is not good form.

• lol Neoma, I don't think you'll have to worry about Bouchard being dissolved by reverting back to clandom, given the mistell that took place today on GT where someone was talking about trying to merge it.
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    edited February 2013

I am not against the down sizing, I am just saying regardless of the fact I have no actual date to post here, I wholeheartedly believe less people play MUDS now, then when say 10 or 15 years ago. I can't prove it, but I do think it is true. Every person I know irl who got me into muds when I was 12 (now 28) has quit playing. As I already stated, there will always people who will NEVER quit, like the die-hard fans we already have. But nonetheless with the way society and kids are now-a-days, you're more likely to be pregnant at 12, than being shown the joys of Mudding -.-

Idlebearding disproves your theory. Even in our off hours, we had over 100 people online and regularly had closer to 200. These are players who, if given a reason, would play. We recapture them, along with keeping our novii interested, and we're making good progress.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

OrisaeAmaraEsperLuna
    The plural of novice is novices. And does the act of idlebearding really mean anything? Logging in doesn't necessarily equate to playing the game if you're just going to be afk. It just sort of inflates the numbers and isn't any real measure of activity. I agree that many players are just looking for a good reason to come back, but I don't think idlebearding is a very good example.
    ErzsebetHaven
  • Azrael said:
    lol Neoma, I don't think you'll have to worry about Bouchard being dissolved by reverting back to clandom, given the mistell that took place today on GT where someone was talking about trying to merge it.
    The key word here is TRYING! That is a different can of worms where a few people went ahead with something without even consulting with house members. The rest of us, which is most of the house is strongly opposing this. To me this was an act by people panicking over what was originally posted by Razmael at the beginning of this topic and shouting we are doomed, so they jumped out of the pan and into the fire without discussing it among the family.
    MastemaAzrael
  • are we allowed to swear on this new board? because hoo boy i am gonna have a field day here
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    edited February 2013
    I know it's novices. I did it just to bug you, Kiyotan. Now, there's a lesser foci I need to find. :). Also, the point on idlebearding is that we still have a large population that keeps moderately in touch with the game (they knew enough to idlebeard) but aren't interested enough to play. We recapture those and we're a healthy game again, plus word of mouth as they tell other people to play, et cetera.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

OrisaeHaven
    Daskalos said:
    I know it's novices. I did it just to bug you, Kiyotan. Now, there's a lesser foci I need to find. :)
    IllikaalLin
  • Remember IRE is trying to make money people, without it well there is not Aetolia at all. New people bring in money, even though there are a good amount of players that spend a lot on this game. Coming right off the island and going ok, what to I want to pick. Ok 16 guilds, hmm. no, I want to be a vampire and just bite things and be all Johnny Depp in Dark Shadows. Ok Vampire houses, oh 8 of them, ok well ...damn..umm...I am going to go play Xbox. The problem I see is that when the kids get off the boat. There is not enough to keep them interested because we are spread thin over all the guilds and houses. If we combine, remove, delete. Odds are someone will be awake and at least even say hello and get them started. If we were back to the older days of 200 people on ave a day, I would say. Yeah well I would still get rid of some of the houses. A lot of the players do interact with the novices right off the bat, but a few are missed. Make one person happy, they will bring another, lose a customer they tell 10. Just do that math, 16 guilds, 7 houses. that is 23 possible choices for a new player to go. But, we have 100 on at most normally.. So that is 4 per guild/house ave. People are going to get mad, but like any other game changes will be made and people will get upset.. Everyone getting all ragy about history, what is going to happen when Sapience goes bye-bye.

CalipsoLianca
  • edited February 2013
    First off I'd like to comment a few things in regards to Ezalor's post, and apologize if I'm a bit late into the whole debate thing.

tldr version
    - Lunare has always been odd. Keep Consanguine conflict between Houses and Imperium without spreading to other organizations.
    - Whoever brought in living in Teradrim made a huge mistake
    - Leave private business alone
    - Calm down, get constructive
    - Guilds, yes to fewer of them!
    - Albedos: Admin rocks!

House Lunare being an oddity:
    "There's practically a decade of RP that UNDEAD Houses are supposed to be for the Undead."
    Lunare accepting living members is hardly something new. If I'm not mistaken they had living members from the start, tossed them out for a few years, but picked them up again a couple of RL years ago? Lunare has been a member of the Imperium through all that and have grown to a large and popular House quite recently (fluxuating like all the Houses). From what I can remember, they have always been something of an oddity, so it feels a bit odd that the Imperium just decided to set ultimatums for being contrary.

Personally I wouldn't have had any issues with Lunare and the Imperium being at odds with one another, since it makes somewhat sense. But to involve a whole city and a guild to ban those part of an organization is too much. If the conflict is between Consanguines, let it stay there. Spreading it will put other characters on the spot just for wishing to be part of a House.

Teradrim and living members:
    "In case you didn't know the Teradrim were the first guild ever to pronounce themselves Undead only and they are considered the children of Ivoln who is, you know, the Patron Divine of everything Undead and all."
    I agree with Ezalor there. Since guilds are no longer class-based they need something to fall back on, something that sets them apart. Teradrim had the perfect setting for this and it shouldn't be ruined because someone wanted to bring in a best buddy. However, saying Lunare is at fault because one involved happens to be part of said House is taking it a bit too far.

The bond made by the Goddess:
    "How about shitting all over Divine decreed things too..."
    Suffice to say that this was something between Aki, Kallah and Niuri, Niuri was informed of the circumstances and if people aside from those involved have an issue with this, they can keep it to themselves. But that's my opinion on private matters.

Over to more general thoughts on recent issues:
    There are too many emotions involved in all this and people are assuming quite a lot without really knowing every side of the story. Grief is a word I've heard a lot lately, as well as people wanting to quit because they are being pushed down and that's never a good way to get people to want to play the game. Better if people start thinking constructive thoughts. Not everyone is out to trample, circumvent or steal your power.

Guilds!
    Yes, please make lesser of them. I think I've asked for this for years, because there are too few around to fill them up. So glad it will finally happen. I just hope that those who are merged will take it well and consider what it will essentially do for the game. 

Edited to add: I really like Kylan's idea with similar guilds merging and offering paths.

Albedos!
    You're doing an awesome job and I know it's well worth the wait. It's going to be so much fun when it finally kicks off!
    AxaiAngweAarbrok
  • Daskalos said:

These are players who, if given a reason, would play. We recapture them, along with keeping our novii interested, and we're making good progress.

I wish I could like this more than once.

OrisaeEsperAxaiErzsebetAngweEmelle
  • edited February 2013
    Irea said:

Teradrim and living members:
    "In case you didn't know the Teradrim were the first guild ever to pronounce themselves Undead only and they are considered the children of Ivoln who is, you know, the Patron Divine of everything Undead and all."
    I agree with Ezalor there. Since guilds are no longer class-based they need something to fall back on, something that sets them apart. Teradrim had the perfect setting for this and it shouldn't be ruined because someone wanted to bring in a best buddy. However, saying Lunare is at fault because one involved happens to be part of said House is taking it a bit too far.

Guilds!
    Yes, please make lesser of them. I think I've asked for this for years, because there are too few around to fill them up. So glad it will finally happen. I just hope that those who are merged will take it well and consider what it will essentially do for the game. 

Edited to add: I really like Kylan's idea with similar guilds merging and offering paths.

The guilds not being class-based worries me. I've seen it really destroy the immersion within our sister Mud (Achaea) and im afraid if the same happens here. Hopefully the guilds can somehow still have a unique feel and aspect to them rather than the feeling of "another clan with friends".

As for combining guilds with similar abilities, I agree with the concept of this, -however- we should also take into consideration the RP and values of these guilds. Take Atabahi and Bahkatu, they have  almost the exact same skills and yet are completely on the opposite sides of the coin, having had a long and arduous blood feud/rivalry since their creation. Also the Sciomancers and Ascendrils, both mages but each valuing completely  different traits. Where one seeks power and domination through the shadow, the other seeks purity and truth through the spirit. The list can go on, but I feel we should not focus on same skills (since class remakes are being made anyway) and rather upon what each guild offers Aetolia and their importance to the game's theme.
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    I know my guild is small. But I feel that it serves a very valid and viable piece of overall Aetolian lore. I know that I've spent so many hours helping various novices - even those not in my guild - to both understand Aetolia and suck up some of my ZEAL-WOO-LIGHT-WOO character that I've had to withstand mini tsunami's of jokes directed at me for how I'm mackin' on the tiny folk.

I love the concept of 'tightening the belt' so to speak - because I do agree that a thin spread playerbase doesn't help anyone. I also know that not every leader / secretary has the hours I do that they can stay logged in to handle every little thing that comes their way. I'm feeling positive about this, because I trust the Administration of Aetolia to make decisions that'll benefit the playerbase as a whole, and not hobble or destroy pieces of the mud that're somewhat integral to the reason[s] we play.

A bit of fresh air might help. I know I've said forever that the Daru have an amazing rp environment / purpose, but their class is completely unattractive to the alts, so we tend to get more 'real' newbies than I'm used to getting in many of my other guild experiences, but I'd say that those people we -do- bring in tend to hang around for quite a while. I can't speak to the validity of houses, or even other guilds - so I'll just repeat. I don't think the Admin will delete organizations with little thought to their purpose in the game as a whole. Merging might happen - although, if handled improperly, it'll mean that those smaller guilds - like my beloved 'light-wing'  (from Saybre!) Daru - will be squashed by those guilds with more members and less focused purpose. 

I'm going to remain optimistic until I've got reason to be otherwise, though.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    CalipsoNolaAlycena
  • Is it possible to let us know now what guilds are going bye bye so we can get the anger out now?

AldricAxaiLiancaMacavityPerilunaCiarelleCalipso
  • Yeah, the suspense is kind of killing me right now. Lia's guild is already going through changes, transitions and stuff. I will be sad if the guild goes away along with all the things we've been trying to do with it. But right now all the players have to play the waiting game to see what happens next it seems. I hate the waiting game.

That being said I do trust the game's admin to make the choices that are beneficial to the game as a whole. The RP recently has been awesome and I am looking forward to all the fun RP that will come down the pipes if something happens to her guild.

• edited February 2013

I still love this idea of reducing stuff, but the drama it is causing is a pain in the arse. So much drama, backstabing and little groups trying to bid for control or mergers. :-t

Worst part and correct me if i am wrong, but none of this is know IC correct. Yet people are still jumping the gun and flaying their egos around!

Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
    AzraelEzalorAmaraAxai
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    This is why metagaming is bad.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    AzraelEzalorArbreLiancaAxai
  • Mastema said:

I still love this idea of reducing stuff, but the drama it is causing is a pain in the arse. So much drama, backstabing and little groups trying to bid for control or mergers. :-t

Worst part and correct me if i am wrong, but none of this is know IC correct. Yet people are still jumping the gun and flaying their egos around!

Well I tried my best to stop it. If certain parties, which I shall not name, wish to do so and succeed thanks to less than IC knowledge....so be it. I've other games I can play anyway.
  • The only merger I know was started before Razmael posted anything, just sayin'
    GrasaChelsea
  • you see guys not too long ago you were verbally castrating me, now i am a cool hip trendsetter
  • Yeah, apparently it's better to lose all of your history as opposed to being reverted back to a clan. Cool trend. :-)
    AxaiGrasaPerilunaCaspien