What is needed for a good system?

So, while I can probably get most of this from the list of system features listed here and there, I wanted to ask: What makes a good system? I ask because I'm going to be working on my own and like to plan things in my head before hand. Thanks in advance!

Some specific questions:

1. What differentiates a good curing system from a bad one? In particular, what things should a curing system implement to be better than the built-in firstaid system?

2. What should the offense portion of a system do? Venoms, attack groups, ??

Comments

• It needs to make sense to you, especially if you're writing it.

You have to be able to read, or at least recognize, anything that's thrown at you.

Whatever shows up needs to be useful.

I'd also expect to trash and restart the project a couple times, but that's my luck. Sometimes, you don't know what you want until you try one way and figure that it won't be enough.

No matter what your goals for the system may be, be aware of the GMCP that's available from the game. It's information makes several aspects of system building lots easier.

I mean, you know, an amount.

• Reux said:

It needs to make sense to you, especially if you're writing it.

You have to be able to read, or at least recognize, anything that's thrown at you.

Whatever shows up needs to be useful.

I'd also expect to trash and restart the project a couple times, but that's my luck. Sometimes, you don't know what you want until you try one way and figure that it won't be enough.

No matter what your goals for the system may be, be aware of the GMCP that's available from the game. It's information makes several aspects of system building lots easier.

Yeah, I suppose that is what it comes down to. I'll have to look into GMCP, I have it enabled for Mushclient to use it but haven't really paid attention.
  • SheirosiaSheirosia Sheffield, UK.
    1. Easily configurable curing priorities.
    2. Queue functions. (With failsafe support).
    3. Defence maintainenance. (With defence 'modes').
    4. Timing system.
    5. Player DB.
    6. Ally/enemy management.

Just a few off the top of my head.