Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• While I can sympathize with that stance, lessers probably aren't the best place if 1v1 fights are what you seek.

• edited July 2014
    I know that, it's not like a prevailing tactic of mine or anything. It's just, shit. You're sitting there bored, twiddling, waiting for something to happen and you see people out there.

Maybe some of you have the knowledge to memorize what rooms are going to have aura and what aren't, but chances are by the time I've hit path find goto I'm already hovering over the killswitch, too. It's silly to have to sort of lose your initiative and do this friendly aura check before actually fighting - in an area that is heightened and primed for fighting at the moment.

It just seems like a really meh way to sort of administratively halt a fight until perfect conditions are met. That isn't reality.

Either way, I'm not exactly raging here. Just didn't know any other avenue to approach it really, and it doesn't deserve it's own thread.

edit: And I'm not trying to be griefy here, or a troll or anything. I mean, if you just say, "Hey I don't 1on1 fight' or 'hey, I'm just here for the lesser' or even just run away or say stop, I'd probably stop 9/10 times. It's the 'No aura, neener neener' thing that frustrates me.
    Elyni
  • I understand what you're saying, but the aura was implemented for a reason. When the landmark system was running, folks would chase and grief people for long periods of time after they had left the landmarking room. The aura system prevent people from doing this with leylines, expanding the room radius, would only force people to stand further outside and do the exact same thing.
    Ishin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    It's funny, because I usually try to hang around the outskirts if my team wipes or it's clear I can't tackle the enemy team...and I get rushed by groups of people in response. I don't blame someone for noping out, because it's rare that people just send one enemy after someone ramboing around.
  • I don't blame you for -running- at all. Running, just like attacking a lone scout who is clearly waiting for reinforcements, relaying information, or just waiting for an opportunity to snipe, is a valid tactic.

Running is valid. And if one Rashar walks into the room swinging his dirk clumsily, I'm -pretty- sure you'll get away if you don't want to fight. It's the whole, 'I'm going to sit here and spam 'say no aura' because lol I was 2 rooms too far or whatever.

Meh. Just a different philosophy, I guess.
    Now I'm confused. How are you getting to these people? Farsee shows if the location they are in is unstable or not.
  • Oh, I just scent.
    Well, there you go. Use farsight and you won't chase people in adjacent areas without aura.
  • I'm arguing principle here, lady. Leave me be!
    StathanCalihye
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    fgd;ls'hlmlgs

Are you bloody serious.

I -just- drained my globe and Aet kicks me.

These things are too damned expensive for this to work like this.
    imageimage
    MoireanDemarcusZsadistIshin
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited July 2014
    Nevermind, I put one in my pack lol
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Oh wells though...ill still take the easy XP I dont need and the gold... :D
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Rashar said:

I'm arguing principle here, lady. Leave me be!

No aura = exp loss, IIRC. Correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't been to a lesser in ages, but if I were to start losing experience again because I was waiting outside of the unstable area for additional reinforcements or we were figuring out what we were doing, and then Rashar busts onto the scene and unicorns my unicorn up and poof goes my experience, I'd be pretty pissed, too.

If I don't have aura, I'm not fighting you.
  • Then go get an aura and fight, or don't hover on the fringes. Come committed or stay home, my friend.

And if you're the type of player that would actually worry about the XP loss at a lesser, you're not a player I'd be targeting anyway. Irrelevant maybe, but eh. I'm not trying to hunt down pre-endgame people or people who are just trying to learn or participate, here.

I just sort of figure if you're a combatant and poking around in an area with a lesser ( especially when the lesser is like, halfway over, there have been several engagements, who the hell knows who has an aura, etc ) you're fair game.

Anyway, I guess I misunderstood how scent worked, or how lessers worked anyway. I thought scent just sniffed players in your area, and the unstable was the whole area. Not that that really changes how I feel about the subject, but it is what it is.

StathanSheirosia
  • ElyniElyni New Zealand
    edited July 2014
    [6400(100)|4900(100)|94 100] ~0~ (csdb eb) 32.79%
    You use Dhuriv Spinecut on Koari.
    With perfect aim, you place the blade right next to Koari's spine at the level of her heart. Jerking the dhurive sideways you efficiently sever the nerves as well as the major arteries and watch as the light fades from her eyes.
    You have slain Koari.
    Defeated, Koari is cast out of the Arena.
    You have been victorious and leave the Arena in triumph!

Rage at the amount of time it took me to perfect this and actually pull it off properly, wtb trans'd vision so I don't have to guess. x.x

Progress, @Angwe!

Also Spinecut kill line sucks :( Carnifex Reave so much cooler.
    Angwe
    Yeah, @rashar, scent shows your own area and the adjacent one.
  • Still stupid.

*crosses arms*
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Rashar said:

And if you're the type of player that would actually worry about the XP loss at a lesser, you're not a player I'd be targeting anyway. Irrelevant maybe, but eh. I'm not trying to hunt down pre-endgame people or people who are just trying to learn or participate, here.

I'm the kind of person that if I don't have to lose something, I won't. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some pre-endgame to get past...

edited July 2014
    I rage at, again, as always, the impossibility of properly-scaled conflict in Aetolia. I am doing some events with my newb Carnifex. It's me, Neron, Alathesia and Magthere. I am the only person in this group who is a PKer, and ALL OF US are in Carni class, so really, that's half points. I go "TAINHELM RARR RARR" to get some PK started. Eno rolls up with like 5 endgamers....and then like FOUR MORE come. Seriously, this is just absurd. I am offering up a small-scale, newb battle on a platter, and you bring every single lifer who is not afk as a response. This is why conflict fizzles into drama instantly.

Edit: ahaha, it's up to 10 of you. Seriously.
    StathanElyniIshinSheirosiaTeani
  • ElyniElyni New Zealand
    edited July 2014
    You're the aggressor, calling out that you're slaughtering a settlement that's protected by Enorian... And you're raging that Enorian is showing up to defend? I'm sorry, what? You don't really have room to complain when you're the one starting the conflict, especially in such a case as that. Forgot a few people from your side, by the way.

PS. -Plenty- of lifers who aren't AFK that didn't show up. Also only turns into drama when you come to the forums like this about it.
    DaskalosSheirosiaTeani
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    This marks the point where it's going to get out of control and attackish.
    Stathan
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited July 2014
    Welp, some of us do have a duty IG, though I understand the frustration. Maybe next time shoot some of us a tell of, "Working on integrating noobs, got any you want to bring?" or something so that we're all on the same page. Lot of us would be happy to compromise, just need to be clued in a bit more!

Edit: You also had Ashmer and Catty. The mixed city group confused a bunch of other people so more came in. I don't know at what point they came in (if it was because we were endgames who showed up?), but without a bit more communication, it seemed like just a mixed Spines and BL group so mixed folk came in.
    JensenAarbrokFaerahStathanDaskalosTeani
    The fact that I'm doing a shout about it and inviting others into the conflict should make it pretty obvious already that it's a "Hey let's get some conflict going" type of thing. If I just wanted to bash, not only would I not choose Tainhelm, I'd just...not say anything. I have made extensive efforts to try to offer up viable conflict opportunities for the lifers, and you know that, Areka. We sat in Skype for hours discussing ways to make conflict fun for both sides, no matter who was the underdog.

10+ people running in to roll me and 3 newbs (and yes, like 3 people from Bl drifted in after the deathsights) is just meh.
  • To be fair, I gathered Areka ( who does not fight ), Daweson, Jami, and Stathan.

Faairly certain Roland and Ashmer showed up before most of those lifers.

Faairly certain neither of those are Carnifex.

Let's just not do it this time, @moirean. It failed already.
    Ashmer
  • edited July 2014
    Let's be real. About half the lifers that showed up showed up after deathsights started popping, too. The only reason I showed up, for example, is because I saw both Spirean and Bloodlochian names popping up against a group of Enoiran people.

Edit: And some of us logged in after the initial shouting, so...weren't sure what was going on.

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    So...you're shouting to invite conflict but don't want people to come? I don't really understand what you're looking for - either people to come or not. Or if you only want some people to come, communicate with us a little bit more on an OOC level so that we know what scale is the goal, because going into this, we don't know what all you've got up your sleeve and being there with noobs doesn't mean there aren't more folk coming.

Thus, "Hey I'd like to get some noob conflict going on to get them introduced, got some noobs to bring and let's keep it small?" would go a long way so that we're all on the same page. The problem here was we didn't have that communication - and just as people from BL drifted in after deathsights, so did folk from Duiran. It happens. It doesn't mean it's the end all be all, just next time let's try to coordinate a bit better so we can get some good stuff out of it.
    StathanDaskalosErzsebetAngrothSarita
  • Or just coordinate with your own people. I was fully prepared to start telling people to go away who joined in, but when I see @roland, @ashmer, and @catty show up I'm going to just preemptively assume that it's about to get really stupid and do something about it.

Stathan
    edited July 2014
    I made a shout because I wanted to give BOTH SIDES something fun. This is a pretty big problem Aetolia has and has had for a while now. You guys can either flame me and brand me as the bad guy or sit back and realize that this sort of greedy combat escalation is something that repeatedly happens in any sort of player-spawned conflict. The Great Rock Shaman vs Carni battle, that Duiran/Eno dived in on. Anything in Jaru/Tainhelm. Exterminations and Junglegrowthing. City enemy statuses and bounties being tosses out for holy wars. Every time we get conflict going, people pile on, and what starts as a small group becomes facerolling.

This repeatedly happens. Unless something is done to give us smaller-scale options or limit the escalation, this will keep happening, and keep destroying any interest in generating conflict.
    Calihye
  • AuresaeAuresae Minneapolis
    MOVING ON.
    MoireanStathanErzsebet
  • edited July 2014
    I'mma just point out that the bounties that were tossed out during that holy war were tossed out because people were defiling shrines inside of Duiran - shrines that do not count towards holy war totals.

Edit: But I think you do have a valid point regarding conflict escalation. Or rather, the problem with conflict in Aetolia. As it stands, people aren't willing to tell people not to do things. There is a rather disturbing trend on both sides of the game to demonize players and to talk like making the -player- feel like crap is a good thing to do. With the current situation, as people have said, when bloodloch people showed up Enorian's people weren't inclined to say 'don't come' to Duiran's.

MoireanAreka
This discussion has been closed.