Cryptic Chests promotion (July promotion)

AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
edited July 2014 in Town Crier
ANNOUNCE NEWS #2284
Date: 7/1/2014 at 0:47
To : Everyone
Subj: Cryptic Chests in July

The month of July sees the return of the cryptic chests, and we've shuffled things up yet again! The old set artifacts have been shuffled out, and replaced by new items listed below in this post.

As always, you can purchase the cryptic chests by clicking 'Artifact Packages' on our website at: www.aetolia.com/credits

You can refer to HELP CRYPTIC CHESTS for full range of possible rewards you can get in the chest.

GENERAL RELICS:
---------------
You will find pieces to assemble these in cryptic chests. These are not permanent: They will either eventually decay, or be destroyed upon use.

1) an Albedi sunspear

Throwing the sunspear into the sky will cause it to break apart into shafts of light that penetrate each eld in the room, instantly killing them. The sunspear is destroyed on use.

2) an offshore translocator

When you USE TRANSLOCATOR, this will take you to a special room that has exits leading to each of the three main islands: Asper, Ulangi and Polyargos.

3) a sanguine choker

When worn, you will gain 2% of your health back when hitting a NPC. 2 second cooldown between procs.

4) a keeneye monocle

Increased chance of critical hits. Stacks with all other crit increasers.

5) a dreamscape mirror

Creates a dream version of an 20 room area radius around you, including mobs, you GAZE MIRROR. Essentially, your own private bashable instance. Destroyed upon use.
Note: Things like mob reactions, and special exits will not work in the dream instance.

RACIAL PART RELICS:
-------------------
These are PERMANENT. And will be BOUND TO YOU when you assemble them. Assemble with care!

We're pretty freeform with your endgame race appearance in Aetolia. Many of you will add features to your descriptions such as horns, claws, tails, tentacles and so on. With these relics, you will be able to give mechanical expression to these features. If you manage to obtain one of these, it's up to you to ensure they're expressed in your description. The assembled item disappears when assembled!

You will notice that some of them perform the same purpose, e.g. tail and tentacle. These are separate relics with separate pieces. They give identical mechanical purpose, but will have slightly different text in their usage.

Racial parts are as follows:

Prehensile Tail (a caudal segment)
Tentacle (a tentacle segment)
----------------------------------
Confers the YANK ability.
Can use TAILGRAB in place of GET.

Quills (a loose quill)
Spikes (a loose spike)
----------------------
Whenever someone attacks, you have a chance to deal minor (~30hp) damage back to them.

Acid Breath (a gastric gland)
-----------------------------
Does poison damage to the target and gives disfigurement affliction. BREATHE ACID AT

Scorpion tail (a metasomal segment)
-----------------------------------
Venom strike. Envenom it and jab someone. Basically a weapon slash. TAILSTRIKE . You must have a vial of the venom on hand.

Retractable claws (a loose claw)
--------------------------------
Allows you to RETRACT or EXTEND claws. Basically an emote.
Can RAKE with extended claws for minor bleeding attack.

Tapetum Lucidum (a cat's eye)
Lets you use NIGHTSIGHT.
At night time, you can use the EYEGLOW emote.

Nictating Membrane (a reptile's eye)
------------------------------------
Allows usage of the THIRDBLINK emote.
- Grants a one-time defence against the blurry vision affliction. (cooldown)

Aquatic lamellae (a fish's head)
--------------------------------
Lets you breathe underwater without needing waterbreathing defence.
Can use the GILLFLAP emote.

Raptor claws (a bird's claws)
Allows you to use the SWOOP command on grounded players while flying.
Allows the TALONFLEX emote.

A membranous muscle (a membranous fiber)
----------------------------------------
You can AIRDASH to dash while flying.
You can also WINGGRAB in place of GET.

Nazetu hide (a scrap of Nazetu flesh)
-------------------------------------
You can SECRETE a viscous slime that counts as standing firm.
You can also REEK to increase stench level.

An arachnid's caudum (a spinneret)
You can WEBSPRAY people to web them without the tattoo.
You can also SPINWEB to put a decorative web in the room.

Penned by my hand on the 12th of Lanosian, in the year 423 MA.

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2285
Date: 7/1/2014 at 13:58
Subj: Chest updates

Hey folks,

There seems to be a bit of a grumble over the chests, so we've decided to make a few changes to them.

Firstly, we've removed the chance for the main prize to be grimstim pills, phoenix hearts, or bull's eye. When originally introduced, these items were rare and useful. Nowadays, they're easy to get and are less desirable as a prize and seem to be the main source of complaints. We've moved to the minor prize slot in the chests, so you can still obtain them, they just won't block out the major prizes. Those of you who have already opened chests since the month started will receive a replacement chest for any chest you opened that contained one of those three items.

Secondly, all the new relic pieces can be rerolled or traded in. The racial relic pieces have a tradein value of 10cr, and the rest have a tradein value of 5cr. We've also increased the number of relic pieces that will drop when you hit the roll for them. Two racial relic pieces will now drop if you get that roll, and four of the normal relics will drop for their roll. Those of you who have already got those rolls this month will be receiving extra relic pieces to make up for that.

And lastly, if you purchase 15 or more chests at once, you'll instantly receive a racial relic piece - one per 15 chests. Once again, will be giving these out to those of you who have already purchased.

Please bear with me on the retroactive handouts - I am doing it all manually so it may take a while for you to get them.

Penned by my hand on the 25th of Lanosian, in the year 423 MA.

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2286
Date: 7/1/2014 at 16:28
Subj: Cryptic Chests and Org Credits

Organizations will now get org credits equal to the number of chests
purchased directly through the website. This should help offset the
shortage of org credits during this promotion.

I have retroactively granted organizations the appropriate number of
credits for today's chest purchases.

Oleis

Penned by my hand on the 2nd of Niuran, in the year 423 MA.

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    How does the dreamscape mirror work? I don't think I'm understanding it, because I don't see why you'd need a private instance if you had a full zone of mobs, but it seems that you can only really use the mirror if there is a full zone of mobs to copy?
  • On the topic of the mirror, I'm curious about how long it lasts as well. Will mobs respawn there?
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited July 2014
    Was there any particular reason behind the racial artifacts disappearing once used? Like... they could've provided some neat roleplaying/aesthetics value if attired/customised (like wings of the eagle, wyvern's tail, fangs of corrosion, or claws of the wolverine), but for some reason these artifacts disappear when used.

It just seems... weird.

EDIT:
    You could basically not have called them racial artifacts and kept them as the normal, regular set item artifacts with small bonuses and it would've been great. This particular approach seems so roundabout.
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Why are there herbs in my cryptic chests :/ they're 1gp each in the game :(
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    StathanRivasErzsebet
  • You settle your bottom upon the ground with purpose and begin to weave a web of turgid, sticky strands.
    I like the spinneret racial relic, but it's not particularly dignified.
    StathanGwenithRiluoOmeiPiper
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    IshinPiper
  • This isn't probably valid due to the amount of coding you guys have already done. the idea : instead of splitting the relics into visual types splitting them into the skills it gives? Example : 'look mum, no hands!' Relic After collecting the requisite pieces you assemble it and select if it's tail/tentacles. why: I don't think they'd be anything more annoying that having pieces of both but not enough of one type to make the relic

Politics
    Ishin
  • I would imagine they disappear so that they can't just be worn/removed/passed around. These are generally things that show up in people's descriptions or roleplay anyway, so it's probably fine.

• To add on to what Xavin said you won't actually be wearing the relics. It's up to you to describe in you description your tail/claws etc. and you can be as wonderfully descriptive of the added feature as much as you like with no need to pay extra for customisation!

Politics
  • An arachnid's caudum (a spinneret)
    You can WEBSPRAY people to web them without the tattoo.
    You can also SPINWEB to put a decorative web in the room.
    Aside from SPINWEB looking like you're dragging your butt across the ground, WEBSPRAY has the exact same message as the web tattoo. Is it possible to get better messages for these, @Oleis?
    Riluo
  • edited July 2014
    $person spins away from you, grabs their ankles and shoots a wad of webbing from their butt which entangles you.

Politics
    RiluoIshinTragerPiperHaven
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    I do not know what prompted the changes as I have heard 0 grumbling minus the countless times in my head from the past when I've opened a cryptic chest and gotten @#$(*ing bull's eyes and phoenix hearts in like 3 consecutive chests. But, I approve! Also, the racial things look neat. Yup yup. When I read it I thought immediately of @Moirean and her suggestions for cosmetic arties to add horns and junk to your description. I even read the post initially to think that it would do that, which meant almost none of them are ones I would want!

I think it would be neat if it were toggleable as a visible item, perhaps limit it to one prominent feature? I could absolutely see Demarcus' wings being a featured line item in his stuffs, but if they all were and weren't toggleable, I would have no reason to buy the cool spikes that return damage (thornmail FTW!) because I'm not Rammus damnit. But everyone wants to be that little spiked armadillo thing. Hooray for mechanical benefits that make no sense!
    That was @Alexina's idea. Credit where credit is due!
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I like this way of implementing it, instead of having horns or something in my wear slot >_>
    Demarcus
  • I also like how they disappear. I don't want more worn things, but being able to use the interesting tidbits in my descriptions is a fun thing.
    Demarcus
    Moirean said:

That was @Alexina's idea. Credit where credit is due!

My brain is broken. Kudos to @Alexina ! Go figure she'd invent ways to spend more boatloads of credits... Bwahahaha!
  • A few cosemetic additions I'ld love to see:
    Prehensile tail/tentacle - Add to this tendrils and/or vines

Scorpion tail - Nails or claws that can be envenomed.

Retractable claws - Nails.. oh god please nails....

An arachnid's caudum - something that lets you spit webs/mucous instead of shitting them. Think Toad from Xmen.

Politics
    I'm still waiting to hear how the dreamscape mirror works...
  • edited July 2014
    RACIAL PART RELICS:
    -------------------
    These are PERMANENT. And will be BOUND TO YOU when you assemble them. Assemble with care!

We're pretty freeform with your endgame race appearance in Aetolia. Many of you will add features to
    your descriptions such as horns, claws, tails, tentacles and so on. With these relics, you will be
    able to give mechanical expression to these features. If you manage to obtain one of these, it's up
    to you to ensure they're expressed in your description. The assembled item disappears when
    assembled!

Racial parts are as follows:

Prehensile Tail (a caudal segment)
    Tentacle (a tentacle segment)
    Quills (a loose quill)
    Spikes (a loose spike)
    Acid Breath (a gastric gland)
    Scorpion tail (a metasomal segment)
    Retractable claws (a loose claw)
    Tapetum Lucidum (a cat's eye)
    Nictating Membrane (a reptile's eye)
    Aquatic lamellae (a fish's head)
    Raptor claws (a bird's claws)
    A membranous muscle (a membranous fiber)
    Nazetu hide (a scrap of Nazetu flesh)
    An arachnid's caudum (a spinneret)

There are no horns anywhere here. This promo is a scam!
    Ishin
  • @Xarian has uncovered the anti-imp agenda inherent in the system!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

PSHHH, I dunno what you're talking about, I got horns and a brothel and a stepladder and NPC spawn. We're taking over. Itty-bitty is beautiful. Imps are pimp. Shorties in the hooouuuuse.
    Ishin
  • I posted this in the Ideas thread, but it might be better suited for here:

Would it be possible for some racial relics to be less monster/creature oriented and more elemental/nature themed?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

MoireanTeaniGwenithDaskalosHavenErzsebet
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    I am literally DYING at the spider racial relic messages. Dying, I tell you. That is the best thing to ever come to the game. I can't unsee it.
    IshinArekaOmeiHaern
  • The racial relics generally have two uses, except for the quills/spikes and the gastric gland.

Can we get second uses for these two perhaps so they're in line with the others? Maybe something that can either give you or the room a cosmetic line or perhaps a special emote.
  • Agreed and seconded! Like.. Spinerattle or something. 'So and so's spines/quills rattle together with a low, staccato sound.' Or Spineflare, 'So and so's muscles flex as his spines/quills flare upwards.'
  • Keeneye monocles don't seem to be wearable. Is this a bug?
    I say there old chap, problem's wearing your monocole!? By Prince Charles' beard!

Wait, wat? If you can't wear it, how does it work? Just hold it or something? Throw it? Stick it in your pocketses?

Also, monocle. Gentleman Cho'gath. Yes please.
    Ishin
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    When probing an assembled relic, could we get a line that tells us that this indeed is a relic and possibly what relic ID it has?
    Moirean
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Would it be possible to see which ones you've assembled since they mold to your body? I -think- I got them all...

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• @Razmael said he was going to do something like that soon, @Daskalos.

DaskalosGwenith
This discussion has been closed.