MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING.

Comments

• edited June 2014
    I helped a lady on the phone sort out how to set up a Roku-style box that is focused on Persian-language channels. She's already talked to two other people who gave her blatantly false information, one of them told her she needed a new cable box, another thought she was doing something with the internet. Basically, they made a blanket assumption and didn't want to work through her accent to figure out -what- she was doing and -what- she needed.

By the end of the call I had a very nice sale from her that nobody else would have gotten because she was annoyed and upset by them. She left a super nice review on my supervisor's inbox and she couldn't stop thanking me. The only thing I did was google the box and explain to her how it worked and act like a decent human being.

Really that last bit is all it takes. Be a decent human being.

That's my rage. I work for a huge company that puts a ton of effort into taking good care of their employees and gives us -fantastic- tools to take care of our customers too, and our month and a half of training (or longer, depending on your position) repeatedly emphasizes good customer service. You can get fired for being a jerk if you get caught.

And yet. People are still constantly idiots and jerks to customers. Jeez. I get paid too well not to take an extra 30 seconds to google something outside of my particular set of job duties.

imageimage
    HavenIshinAshmerEmelle
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Rashar said:

Or a big dose of man the fuck up!

MANNING UP SIR

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

SolariaErzsebet
  • My favorite Chinese place shut down. It makes me SO UPSET.

I could get two egg rolls and a massive pile of orange chicken and fried rice for four bucks!

edited June 2014
    Elie said:

My favorite Chinese place shut down. It makes me SO UPSET.

I could get two egg rolls and a massive pile of orange chicken and fried rice for four bucks!

D:

Edited to add: one is forced to wonder if these two statements are somehow correlated.

ElieFurtumErzsebetPiperTeaniVolkaPeriluna
  • It is one thing that I'm barely at home anymore because of work. It is another thing to come home and find that 'someone' has been in my room messing with my shit. I just cleaned my room this morning, I know where my shit is, I know when something is out of place.
  • Oh that was me. My b, @nola.
  • Don't touch my unicorns! They're rare and invaluable and the last of their kind, @Rashar!
    ErzsebetEmelle
  • edited June 2014
    So we were on a worksite today radiographing a rather large weld. To cut down time and disruption to the workers we've taken a rather large isotope out to the job. We go through all the safety precautions, putting up radiation tape, the flashing lights, big ass mother fucking signs saying "WARNING RADIOGRAPHY IN PROGRESS. DO NOT ENTER" We've played it safe and marked out a 50m radius. We've walked around the perimeter, make sure everyone is out, start shooting (exposing films) do a quick run around the perimeter with the monitors to make sure if any dumb shits want to gawk at the barrier aren't getting to much radiation and run like fury to hide behind our block (in this case putting the engine of our car parked 20m away between us and the source.) We're sitting there, counting down the time and I pop my head up to make sure the film hasn't fallen or anything and there's this dude, fucking STROLLING through the area. My jaw just dropped. I mean it was hanging. I shouted at him to get out and the dude just stops a couple of meters from the source and stares at me blankly. The senior radiography looks and he just looses it, a whole herd of unicorns was unleashed at this guy. We spent the next few hours getting reprimanded and writing up an incident report. His reasoning. "I was curious, and you guys are in the barricade so I thought it was okay. It's cool though, I don't want kids anyway." YOU SON OF A FUCK. Yes, radiation kills off wrigglers making you sterile. But within 48 hours you have a new set ready to go. It's not mother fucking sperm count we worry about, its tumors, cancers, leukemia. Don't give a shit about your balls. Fuck you. Fuck you so much you dumb fuck. I hope you go screw your mistress thinking your sterile and knock her up, then your wife finds out and divorces you and takes everything leaving you with nothing because that doesn't compare to the shit you've just dropped me in.

Politics
    IshinJensenFurtumAshmerTeaniMephistolesVolkaPeriluna
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Some people are fucking rocket scientists, @Gwenith. OH HEY RADIATION ZONE. LEMME WALK THROUGH, CAN'T BE AS BAD AS CHERNOBYL.

Bro, this ain't fucking Call of Duty.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    AshmerVolka
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    https://xkcd.com/radiation/

My favorite chart for explaining radiation doses
    OmeiGwenith
  • Gwenith said:

So we were on a worksite today radiographing a rather large weld. To cut down time and disruption to the workers we've taken a rather large isotope out to the job. We go through all the safety precautions, putting up radiation tape, the flashing lights, big ass mother fucking signs saying "WARNING RADIOGRAPHY IN PROGRESS. DO NOT ENTER"
    We've played it safe and marked out a 50m radius. We've walked around the perimeter, make sure everyone is out, start shooting (exposing films) do a quick run around the perimeter with the monitors to make sure if any dumb shits want to gawk at the barrier aren't getting to much radiation and run like fury to hide behind our block (in this case putting the engine of our car parked 20m away between us and the source.)

We're sitting there, counting down the time and I pop my head up to make sure the film hasn't fallen or anything and there's this dude, fucking STROLLING through the area. My jaw just dropped. I mean it was hanging. I shouted at him to get out and the dude just stops a couple of meters from the source and stares at me blankly. The senior radiography looks and he just looses it, a whole herd of unicorns was unleashed at this guy. We spent the next few hours getting reprimanded and writing up an incident report.

His reasoning. "I was curious, and you guys are in the barricade so I thought it was okay. It's cool though, I don't want kids anyway."

YOU SON OF A FUCK. Yes, radiation kills off wrigglers making you sterile. But within 48 hours you have a new set ready to go. It's not mother fucking sperm count we worry about, its tumors, cancers, leukemia. Don't give a shit about your balls. Fuck you. Fuck you so much you dumb fuck. I hope you go screw your mistress thinking your sterile and knock her up, then your wife finds out and divorces you and takes everything leaving you with nothing because that doesn't compare to the shit you've just dropped me in.

Hey when you quote a post it doesn't use unicorns. Huh.

The reason for me posting: Dude I've worked a shitload of construction, and if there was ever a sign saying some shit like that to me, even if it just showed up with you and your crew after I came back from lunch and wasn't there before... I would definitely ask a foreman if I should run some wire to one of the other rooms on site or something haha. And I am by no means the sharpest crayon in the toolshed, if you feel what I'm saying, I'm no rocket surgeon. We'll go with room temperature IQ, and I'll be gracious to m'self and call it in Farenheit.
    Ishin
  • Oh. I thought that sh- Unicorns was automatic. Whoops.

The guy won't get cancer and die just because of one dose but if he does it routinely, then gets some xrays, flies overseas etc. etc. it just keeps rising. Just the paperwork and the royal hiding you get when an incident like this happens even when it's not your fault is irksome since general public don't get their doses routinely recorded.

To put it in perspective with that chart I'll tell two stories. The first is one of our technicians having an MRI and had an isotope injected into his system. He came to work afterwards and as he would walk past other people their personal alarms would go off. Second is a guy who had his thyriod examined, he went to work afterwards and a tech taped a paperclip to his throat then a film over it. Twenty minutes later it got developed and there was this perfect little paperclip on the film. It was pretty cool.

Politics
    IshinFurtum

• Tracphone. And smart phones. I'm smart, but I don't want a smart phone anymore they're a headache and a half to figure out! I miss the old Nokia I had for seven years. That thing was a tank. I dropped it a few times accidentally, and pieces flew off in precisely 5 chunks that were easy to put together again.

I hate not being able to see how many airtime minutes I have left. They need to put them back on the stupid phone interface, not make you download a stupid app to see it. I can't get it to work. It just makes me feel dumber.
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    IshinAryanne
  • AuresaeAuresae Minneapolis
    I have to submit this appeal to change my major because I'm a junior. The general academic adviser gave me the impression that it would be accepted, but now I have to talk to the undergrad departmental adviser about it....... who is in Moscow. I also have to write a page personal statement on why I wanna change. It's my life and my money, just let me do what I want with it.
    AryanneAshmerSlypheIshinVolkaNolaFurtum
  • Realizing too late that I wore the pair of pants that I spilled lunch all over yesterday to work today.

:-(

Downside to rewearing pants - forgetfulness of own ineptitude at eating tidily

Edit: Nothing, shouldn't have said anything.

OmeiGwenithPeriluna
  • Slyphe said:

Forumgoers - please for the love of the Mighty Unicorns stop editing your posts to say nothing after you typed them out. HNNNNG.

I think the next time I see someone do this I may quote their post and just edit in something super offensive for the hell of it.
    StathanIshinIngram
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Forumgoers - please for the love of the Mighty Unicorns stop editing your posts to say nothing after you typed them out. HNNNNG.
    I think the next time I see someone do this I may quote their post and just edit in something super offensive for the hell of it.
    Except don't do that either.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    AshmerHavenAuresaeOmeiSlyphePeriluna
  • I feel the need to point out that the forum rules sometimes don't make sense.
    1. No posting confidential materials.
    This includes but is not limited to:
    - Non-newbie quests and skill information.
    No skill information? I think that means the Sparring Grounds is entirely illegal. I think you guys stick to the quest thing, but is it really against the rules to post information on skills?
    6. Controversial OOC topics are not allowed
    This refers specifically to OOC topics related to such things as religion, politics, ethics, etc. Please keep such discussions to more appropriate forums, as we do not wish to see players driven away from Aetolia due to high-friction topics that rarely see resolution.
    We soooo don't follow this. And I'm glad, because it would be boring if we did. Controversial stuff is fun. There's not much that's more boring than a room full of people who only ever talk about things they all agree upon.

I generally like the way the forums work, but it would be nice if the rules were consistent with how they do work.
    Stathan
  • I feel the need to point out that the forum rules sometimes don't make sense.

1. No posting confidential materials.
    This includes but is not limited to:
    - Non-newbie quests and skill information.
    No skill information? I think that means the Sparring Grounds is entirely illegal. I think you guys stick to the quest thing, but is it really against the rules to post information on skills?

i am rapture coder
    StathanMephistolesHavenAshmer
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    My camera broke at comic con :( quick dash home to grab my other one, even if it's bulky.
  • AuresaeAuresae Minneapolis
    I have a really hard time not staring at @Omei's signature for hours on end.
    OmeiAshmerAryanne
  • Speak for yourself!

i am rapture coder
    AuresaeAshmerLimAryannePeriluna
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Areka said:

My camera broke at comic con :( quick dash home to grab my other one, even if it's bulky.

And then Areka was never seen again. Abandoned by my Con Buddy. Woe.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited June 2014
    I rage that I still feel like an emotional leaky faucet even though there's other stuff to focus on. I know things take time to fade but, until it does, it f everything is covered in this desperately grey stormcloud. Sucks.
  • VolkaVolka Lurking behind the beakers....
    Minding my own business at work. (Read: idling at the Ig on my phone) and this car pulls up, with blacked out emblems on the side, and this woman wearing some sorta cop-like uniform. So I pop out to stop her and see what the unicorns she wants. Lo and behold, it's some security guard from the company I used to work for. Instant defense mode. These people are cut-throat, heartless unicorns. Somalian pirates have more tact and manners. Right behind her is a little sedan that belongs to one of the guys that works here. (they can't smoke on property anymore, so they left for a cig) She starts going on about how that car (which passed her and continued into the site like they're supposed to) was sitting at 'her property' and was 'blacked out' and was 'suspicious'. They were litteraly down there less than 15 minutes. Clarifiied, they wer across the street in another driveway (that's an access road for the river) had their foglights on (so not blacked out at all) and this ....woman... abandoned her post to drive all the way down here (about a quarter mile) to ...tell me about it? I'm not even sure why she was driving in here, honestly, she didn't say, but I would LOVE to know why she decided to come to my site. They must have JUST parked when she headed this way. This is why you shouldn't hire cops to do a security job. While she was...doing whatever the unicorns she thought she as doing up here, I could have hotwired a bulldozer and ran her car over. It's across the street from her. It's not her site. This is why we're supposed to ''observe and report'' not 'get involved and be a unicorns'. Ugh. I hate ignorant people doing work incorrectly. And I really hate that company.
    IshinAryanne
  • So.... thankfully I'm out of the unicorns from last week. Yay! Why isn't this in the happy thread? Because someone did something, much, much, much, much, much, much worse.

Still in the rumor stages of the story so these are the supposed facts:
    -A pair of techs was shooting last night.
    -During set up, they didn't check the area for 'members of the general public'.
    -There was a 'member of the general public' in a crane doing maintenance 7m from the source when the shots were being taken.
    -Three shots were taken about 15 minutes each.
    -When the workers in the morning arrived on site all barricades and warning lights were still in place.
    -Incident wasn't reported by the technicians. Incident was reported by the worksite (big no).
    -Both techs are MIA at the current time.

I swear these sort of incidents don't happen often! Just the last week seems exceptionally bad. As you can probably predict, these techs are in trouble.

Politics
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    So, I had some really, really horrible dreams last night that legit freaked me out. Developed a migraine and called out of work. My head is just pounding and I'm still freaked out.