LOVE

Comments

• I love that I am best at pvp more than everyone ever in the game but keeping it a complete secret.
    >.>

AarbrokIshinHaven
  • I convinced Noon I was Achaea's top pvper once.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Stathan
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    America's next top ganker.
    SetneMoirean
  • Family day planned, nice weather. Looking forward to a really nice relaxing day.

IshinPiperArekaAlice
  • To add what @razmael said from the standpoint of a person who is only recently really getting into PVP (on this game, at least) I will say that I've learned far, -far- more from looking at the systems given to or sold to me, from the code to just watching how it actually works, learning what settings to change and tweak and configure, etc.

I'm still nubbin it up on the coding aspect, but that's to be expected. Will I ever be a real coder? No, because I'm not interested in digging into it on that level. But I also understand that that means there are always going to be a few who are going to splat me 1on1, no matter the system I'm using. I used Daskalos' offense for a while as a Luminary, and that didn't make me elite. (In fact, I changed away from it because man, CMUD kills me, but irrelevant). I'm using an offense now that someone else just steals lunch money with, and my lack of depth understanding and the intricacies means I'm not really using it fully yet. (But I will!).

Sure, I'm killing far more than I'm dying to at this point in the 1on1 game, and maybe that upsets you because I didn't code any of it myself aside from cosmetic triggers and aliases. But I don't understand why you'd complain about having more people to fight, if fighting is the draw.
    RazmaelIshinJensenAshmer
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    To give some insight into why he's angry...he's not losing to you, Rashar. He's losing to Ashmer's AI, which you paid for. I imagine he likens it to being able to buy an artifact that makes you suddenly able to win at PK, regardless of your individual skill level as a player.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    DraimanTeaniAshmer
  • Yeah, I still suck with TW/Serenity.
    TeaniAshmer
  • A system, no matter how decent it is, does not give someone automatic win, though. In most cases, you still have to understand the nature of PK - how to tune and refine your offense, within and outside the system, knowing your skills and which ones are best to use in which situations. You still have to know what you're doing, in order to do it. That requires a level of commitment, in learning and practice. Systems are just tools that make the process easier to learn.
  • It's understandable why he's angry. (I didn't fight him, so he's not mat at me btw.)

Really, it's a silly argument, in my opinion. You're reducing 'combat' into a series of reactions coded beforehand and taking out almost all of the things that makes fighting fighting. Why are you upset that someone else managed to 'unlock the secret' in a different way? So you put hard work and time into coding a system? I put hard work, blood, sweat, and hours upon hours upon months of risk into earning the money that bought me the system.

And sure, the argument is going to be made that it's just like training for hours and hours and practicing katas or forms or locks or holds or shoots or whatever. And to that I say, meh. I've done quite a bit of training in my life, for fighting and for various other things. To the point where I can perform certain actions in the dark, blindfolded, awake for days, in pain, whatever. But none of them I could step away and go make a sandwich for. System combat = silly in the first place. Take out the complexity, take out the automation, and people will be forced to learn the game and the skills and the map and do it themselves. Can't buy that, yeah?

It won't happen, and I realize it is this way for a reason. It wasn't a serious attempt at arguing that case, I'm just saying. I can understand it being frustrating, maybe, to get killed by someone who bought a system. To me, it's frustrating to get killed by people who can game/code from work, probably do not have a job that is far more than full time, may or may not have a wife and two kids and the desire to sit in front of the computer and play Aetolia for the story and the character of it rather than a mudlet script window.

But there's no reason to go on a tangent like that, especially in the love thread.
  • Nola said:

A system, no matter how decent it is, does not give someone automatic win, though.

I disagree with this statement. I could give someone a package of my offense and, with a few exceptions, they would fight EXACTLY AS I DO. As automation improves the difference between people who know what they are doing and people who do not will diminish until it no longer exists. The inescapable reality is, there is a 'best' affliction set for every class matchup. Systems can deliver this accurately, far more accurately than any player could manage. Likewise, the times you need to turtle/play defensive/run away are easily detectable. A shield at a certain point, auto-fitness, auto-panacea, etc. happening at a certain point in time will potentially save you from dying - and that's another thing that can be automated. Computers are excellent at evaluating the same set of choices over and over, and that's what Aetolian PVP IS - there's an absolute, binary route to victory with a few notable exceptions (limb classes, primarily).

I've been saying this since combat AIs started getting big - it makes combat more 'accessible' to newbies, sure. But that's not a good thing. The learning curve being so high also made the skillcap immensely high, and the more that learning curve is lowered, the lower the skillcap goes too. We're already running into situations where a class is flat-out better than another, and we can tell because offenses are functioning at a high degree of efficiency. I predict that, eventually, fights will be determined by ping time, class matchup, and rng. And maybe artifacts. It's not a particularly pleasing situation, but that's where we're headed unless things change - EVERYTHING can be automated.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

StathanIshinPiperSheirosiaIlyonMoirean
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I don't think I've ever even fought him!
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    @Toz I think you seriously overestimate the ability of lots of people. If you gave me your offense, I will still squish. I have ran a great many top-name pk'ers systems, and still am very terrible. I do not get it, it's not what I play the game for, and I when I try I get flustered and then dizzy because of omgtoofastscrolling.

I think those who WANT to learn, who find this portion of the game exciting, and want to have a starting off point, I think AI's, systems, offenses, all these are wonderful. It gives them a place to start.

I am testament to the fact that system does NOT equal win.

PiperKerrynDemarcusPerilunaAryanneNolaArekaSeirEmelle
  • I can think of at least one person who got a system from someone, turned into a mini killer overnight, and then promptly forgot the attack button just in time for a holy war. Cough @phoenecia cough cough. :P
    Setne
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    edited June 2014
    @Razmael But having access to someone's AI, which is also being sold and what triggered this immature out burst, does give you an instant win in most cases, much like back in the day when Daskalos could just bash people to death (and still does some times). I hear stories all the time and also witness people having AI's that they bought from someone else and just start winning fights they have no business winning.

@Mariena If someone gave you a top tier system complete with an offense and you still couldn't PK, then the system wasn't top tier. Simple as that.

Edit: I haven't fought anyone in a while, but I don't really need to to know that I will lose. Ashmer is better than me and me and Mazzion went back and forth.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• Draiman said:

@Mariena If someone gave you a top tier system complete with an offense and you still couldn't PK, then the system wasn't top tier.

Press 1 button to execute the attack. Some people's AI doesn't even requires that, just requires you to turn it on and wait.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Draiman
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I mean there's the whole NEWB OFFENSE CANNON and then there's the PERSON ACTUALLY REACTING AND LISTENING IN A GROUP. I'm sure you know the frustration when someone won't unblock an exit or starts attacking random mobs while you're trying to pk, or isn't using any lf their skills for crowd control or pulling/ranged/greater advantage.
    Ishin
  • I feel like @aishia just targeted me.

*peer*

Abduct a target -ooone- time, man. I swear.
    Aarbrok
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    No no, no one in particular. And not even THAT frustrated at someone who does make these mistakes. I'm usually pretty chill. If I'm yelling at someone it's probably in my OVER THE TOP FREAKOUT voice, which is very sarcastic. Pking in Aetolia isn't your JOB I don't expect anyone to be amazing. Just showing up is nice! I just take out all my anger on Valingar. I really love the amount of participation and new people getting involved in pk over the last couple months. It feels like a big turn-around.
    Ishin
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    You do realize I wrote my own offense, right Draiman?

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Aryanne
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    Pretty much everyone can make an auto basher. Whoopity doo.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• StathanStathan Hot springs
    Leaving the realm of Love at this point.
    Teani
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    edited June 2014
    691 lines of script for an autobasher. I must be doing it wrong.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I made a trigger to highlight and capture a line of text to send it to another window and crashed CMUD. I deleted the trigger and yet things are still highlighting.

I should not be allowed to play with technology.

There was a really lovely baptism at my mother's church today. Not everyone may be particularly religious, but it was really special. The little boy had been born extremely prematurely, and his twin died. The parents are pretty isolated, much of their families neglect them or outright do not talk to them (really stupid drama, the husband put himself through medical school and just finished his residency and most of his relatives see him as a walking ATM). The community there really rallied around them and has become a really supportive surrogate family and it is just really neat to see.
    IshinStathanMaiteMinaraelEmelle
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I love that my daughter is here right now and will be for a week! I haven't seen her since Easter and she's growing so much! She's an angel, always brightening my day!

DaskalosArekaStathanHavenAryanneMinaraelEmelle
  • Daskalos said:

691 lines of script for an autobasher. I must be doing it wrong.

Pick up Carnifex, bro. 10 lines of code, 1 string list of venoms.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Stathan
  • SheirosiaSheirosia Sheffield, UK.
    I'm deliberately keeping this short as I'll mostly just be reiterating at this point, but honestly... There is simply no 'one-button-wins-all' with Serenity. Does it make things a lot simpler? Sure. Is it just a case of pressing a button and 'winning'? Absolutely not. As it seems your concerns are directed towards Serenity than anything else, I'll finish with this: There is a -multitude- of modes available with it. The user is still required to understand exactly what is happening in any given situation and make changes to the configuration to either capitalise on or mitigate an offence. It was mentioned earlier that knowing mechanics is a far more important hurdle to overcome and I cannot agree with this more.
    IshinMinaraelAshmer
  • ...because I love this more than listening to gripes about PK and systems and hoop and lah.

<3

Had to make room or my keyboard would have ended up on the floor. -_-
    I mean, you know, an amount.

SerriceSolariaOmeiAarbrokAliceAryanneMoireanEmelle
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Always Like cats.

StathanTeaniArekaOmeiAliceMoirean
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Reux said:

...because I love this more than listening to gripes about PK and systems and hoop and lah.

<3

Had to make room or my keyboard would have ended up on the floor. -_-</p>

My husband dealt with much the same thing yesterday while trying to do some roadway work.

SerriceMoirean